Sugar linked to heart disease, even in thin folks

Options

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Someone link the study/abstract already?

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Yep, but thanks. :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fun if for once someone fit and healthy would jump on the sugar is evil bandwagon
    Isn't that wall-walker chick pretty fit?

Fair point.

She does seem to be the exception that proves the rule though that this is mostly a matter of excuse seeking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I love how they say they don't count "fruit sugar" but "added sugar" was only counted..

At the molecular level your body breaks down all sugars the same ….This is like saying smoking cigarettes is linked to lung cancer, but you can smoke tobacco out of a pipe and be fine….good freaking lord...
    Here's the caveat. The demographic that admitted to consuming 25% of their calories from added sugar would more than likely also have a diet very high in refined carbs, processed and fast food and dare say the most unhealthy percentile of the SAD. Anytime anyone wants to demonize any food that's the place to start, it'll always look like a win when you design your hypothesis around a preconceived event where the grey areas make you look like a champ.

i was thinking the same thing…if you get 25% of your calories from sugar, you are probably in the obese category, and would be more prone to heart disease anyway ….I guess that is called picking the subjects to fit your study ..rather then just doing a study about something and letting the evidence lead you where it may….

I like how the article says one bowl of ice cream per day could increase your risk of heart disease…come on man!
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I think it would be fun if for once someone fit and healthy would jump on the sugar is evil bandwagon

Fair point.

She does seem to be the exception that proves the rule though that this is mostly a matter of excuse seeking.
    Meh. That ain't me. I got fat 'cause I ate too much and sat on my *kitten*.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Fair point.

I'm 101% certain that you're not an anti-sugar crusader though.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Fair point.

Looked at my diary, did ya? Lol I should be dead now.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I love how they say they don't count "fruit sugar" but "added sugar" was only counted..

At the molecular level your body breaks down all sugars the same ….This is like saying smoking cigarettes is linked to lung cancer, but you can smoke tobacco out of a pipe and be fine….good freaking lord...
    Here's the caveat. The demographic that admitted to consuming 25% of their calories from added sugar would more than likely also have a diet very high in refined carbs, processed and fast food and dare say the most unhealthy percentile of the SAD. Anytime anyone wants to demonize any food that's the place to start, it'll always look like a win when you design your hypothesis around a preconceived event where the grey areas make you look like a champ.

i was thinking the same thing…if you get 25% of your calories from sugar, you are probably in the obese category, and would be more prone to heart disease anyway ….I guess that is called picking the subjects to fit your study ..rather then just doing a study about something and letting the evidence lead you where it may….

I like how the article says one bowl of ice cream per day could increase your risk of heart disease…come on man!
    Critical thinking is not a prerequisite. Researchers do research and normally within very tight parameters or limitations and normally never make generalizations, they leave that to the smart people.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    "These findings were largely consistent across age group, sex, race/ethnicity (except among non-Hispanic blacks), educational attainment, physical activity, health eating index, and body mass index."

I think that discounts the obese, unhealthy eaters?
    No clue what "health eating index" is though...
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Fair point.

Looked at my diary, did ya? Lol I should be dead now.

Nope. I rarely creep profiles, but you're e'hm "outspoken" in the forums. :wink:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Think this is gonna stop me from eating sugar? .....

I'm still gonna!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    "These findings were largely consistent across age group, sex, race/ethnicity (except among non-Hispanic blacks), educational attainment, physical activity, health eating index, and body mass index."

I think that discounts the obese, unhealthy eaters?
    No clue what "health eating index" is though...

From the USDA site: "The Healthy Eating Index (HEI) is a measure of diet quality that assesses conformance to federal dietary guidance."

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/healthyeatingindex.htm

Basically a 100 point scale, which has 10 categories, each worth 10 points. Have you had less than 7% of your calories from saturated fats? 10 points. Eating otherwise low fat (don't remember the number off hand): 10 points. Eat lots of grains? 10 points. etc.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Nope. I rarely creep profiles, but you're e'hm "outspoken" in the forums. :wink:

Is that a polite way of saying I gotta big mouth? :sad:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Are you accusing me of being polite?! :angry:
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Are you accusing me of being polite?! :angry:

Well played, blanco niño. :drinker:
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    All of you bashing this study are a bunch of sugar addicts.

It's your drug of choice.

It's okay. I understand. Sugar is so sweet, how could it be evil?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    All of you bashing this study are a bunch of sugar addicts.

It's your drug of choice.

It's okay. I understand. Sugar is so sweet, how could it be evil?
    It's not really a study, it's number crunching, unless of course serendipity got the better of them and decided they couldn't resist publishing these findings.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It relates to heart disease. And sugar intake relates to cutaneous signs of CAD.

I understand that the link relates cutaneous signs in some populations to heart disease, but I don't see where sugar intake causes cutaneous markers.

Cutaneous markers for heart disease are also generally related to insulin resistance and diabetes. It's all related and the common link to both is sugar.
    Actually, the common link is obesity, NOT sugar.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I didn't get obese overeating protein and fat. I got obese overeating SUGAR.

So, no, obesity is not the CAUSE of heart disease or diabetes. But sugar is a prime suspect.