Spanking your kids yes or no?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I don't have kids.

I'll say this: spanking "worked" for me in that I only needed one as a kid. After that all it took was the threat and I would straighten up. However, I tend to think that other disciplinary methods would have worked for me just as well.

My brother got spanked pretty much daily and twice on Sundays (he was really bad in church). I think at some point my parents should have been like "hey, this clearly isn't working" and looked for another solution.

I attended a parenting seminar at my church that really rubbed me the wrong way. The speaker was talking about how she implemented spanking in her house, and she was asked what other disciplinary measures she employs. None. She doesn't do time out, or groundings, or any other consequences. So no matter what the offense, spanking is the answer. I think that's doing it wrong.

My tendency would be not to spank. Not saying I won't change my mind when there are actual children, but that's how I feel about it right now, whatever that's worth.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I want to teach my children that it's wrong to solve problems with violence.

So... No. I'm not going to spank them.
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My reply is first hand experience. I was spanked as a kid, by parents, grand parents, uncle and even a neighbor a few times. And yes, good old swats at school 4 or 5 times that I remember. Why, because I was a bad little kid and needed it. I am really glad the rod was not spared on me, and I thank them all for everyone I got. Not all kids can be reached with words and time-outs and other forms of non aggressive types of punishment. I turned out just fine and have been successful in life. But without the love from a paddle I could have ended up much different!

This several times over... I would push my folks as far as I could. I would hate to imagine where I would be if I hadn't figured out the action/consequence of decisions.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think spanking is not only lazy parenting, but a sign that you've lost control.
  • ekalexm
    Options
    My mother would smack me occasionally as a child (when it was truly deserved). It didn't harm me and in no way has it diminished the respect I have for her.

When my children were younger, they would get one slap on the back of the hand if they've been badly out of line. And this would be on the rare occasions where several warnings were not working. Now that they are slightly older and well adjusted, the frequency for this has dramatically reduced to almost nil.

I give my children a lot of leverage to grow and to be their own people, but i also take my duties as a parent seriously. I am failing them if I allow their behaviour to go 'beyond the pale' unchecked.

I would never condone excessive smacking of a child in any circumstances, but parental discretion should be key. Parents raise children and not the state - no legislation should be introduced to outlaw smacking.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    For my twopenny bit, I wouldn't hit an adult, I wouldn't hit a dog, so I won't hit kids.

I wasn't smacked as a kid but both my brothers were regularly (12 and 14 years older than me), we've all turned out alright but my middle brother got into alot of trouble as a teen, and I think they have worse tempers than me (although they're both lovely) my parents disappointment and having to sit down and explain myself was far worse, actually I did get a smacked leg once, all I remember about it is resenting my Dad for it, all my negative feeling were for him in that moment rather than thinking about what I'd done. I don't think I did the thing again that I was punished for (I think I was messing with the old piano and making a racket) but because I didn't want to get smacked, not because I'd come to my own conclusion it was the wrong thing to do. (I actually remember smacking the piano when my parents weren't looking the next time I passed it as if it was its fault) lol
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I think discipline should be decided by the parents and they should be in agreement. I don't care how you discipline your kids
    JUST DO IT!!! There are so many little darlings out there that make life hell for the general public and the parents don't have a clue what to do. In my experience (3 grown sons--compliments on their behavior, always) you do what works.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I don't think spanking a child is the answer. I'm always fascinated by the parents that say - "I never spank in anger". What message does that send a child? I'm going to hit you now that I'm not angry.

Here's a thought for you: As an adult, if you do something wrong at work - can your boss clock you and then move on? Can your neighbor come over and hit you for letting your dog tear up his flower bed?

There is no logic in looking at children as though they are not people, too.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I didn't do me any harm and my parents only used it in moderation, never excessively (however I may have thought of it at the time) and never used wooden spoons, etc.

My wife and I were split on the issue, but it the end we didn't have to use it with our first kid. Second one still has a lot to learn and would have, in days gone by, have been spanked a few times by now. However we didn't use it with the first and just carried this on with the second.

I wouldn't say never, and would not condemn those who do (provided it's done appropriately), but I'm kinda sitting on the fence now.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    In before the lock.
  • first01
    Options
    good discipline is not about whether you hit your kids or not.

it is about whether you lay down clear boundaries and consistently give out negative consequences for overstepping them.

hitting a kid does not automatically make them behave. some of the worst behaved kids I've known, three of whom I actually banned from my house because they were so naughty, were regularly hit by their parents. But there was no consistency. They'd play up and play up and play up until their parent(s) snapped and hit them. They learned to misbehave as much as they could get away with, and just avoid getting caught, or get out of the way if their mother was in a bad mood. Hitting kids does not magically make them behave. Clear boundaries and consistently applied consequences does.

I don't hit my kids because I don't see any point to it. They have other consequences, what i make sure is if they break a rule, they get a consequence. I very rarely have to give out actual consequences, because my kids know that if they don't comply, then the consequence will happen. I just warn them once, and they comply. Giving out empty threats, or giving too many chances (e.g. several warnings before a consequence) results in kids trying to get away with as much misbehaviour as they can. Hitting can be a consequence, but other consequences work just as well. My kids have other consequences like the naughty corner, having toys taken away for a period of time, loss of privileges, that kind of thing. I don't see the need to hit them at all.

And some punishments I use I think are quite a lot harsher than hitting them, and they tend to last longer, e.g. taking away their tablet computer for a day lasts much longer than getting hit... haven't actually had to do that, just the threat of it = compliance because they know that I *will* carry this out.... (note: for little kids, stick to immediate consequences because they have to have sufficient maturity to associate the punishment with what they did, little kids don't have that so immediate punishments like going to the naughty corner or having a toy removed immediately for a short time are much better, but once they can understand "I don't have _____ today because I did ____ yesterday" then more long term punishments are very effective, as long as they're done consistently and the boundaries are clear.)

It's not the punishment itself that disciplines the child, it's the process of laying down clear boundaries and consistently enforcing them.

And additionally, all this has to be within the context of a stable parent-child relationship where kids' emotional needs are being met, i.e. parents are giving them time, attention, having fun with them, giving them a chance to talk through problems, helping them with homework etc... misbehaviour can sometimes be through a lack of those things, rather than a lack of discipline.

note: I know that some neurological issues, e.g autistic spectrum disorder, can completely change the game when it comes to discipline, so some of the above may not apply... but the point about there being other effective ways to manage kids behaviour without hitting them still applies.

I would hope that you aren't implying that those on the Autism spectrum would benefit from corporal punishment. You may want to make that a bit more clear
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    This is like asking: Are carbs good? Yes or No?
  • ekalexm
    Options
    I see "I never spank in anger" as a valid comment. After all, it's a measured response to the child's behaviour, rather than vindictively striking a child through frustration.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I dont care what the "studies" say. Everyone knows it can be rigged one way or another depending on who is funding it. The lack of discipline in today's kids correlates with the lack of spanking. Nobody in my time will behave like the kids of today behave. Thank God my kids do not act this way. Yes, I spank if I have to, but she is 9 now and I cant even remember the last time I have to do it.

Do you have statistical proof of this?

And frankly, children are just as awful as they've always been--they're just less accomplished at hiding it and the world isn't as keen to turn a blind eye to it.

Hate to say it, but kids weren't gunning down other kids in school when I was there at a time when was still corporal punishment. I am not correlating the two because there are too many other factors at play. But to say that kids are less well behaved today is probably a bit of a stretch. I would suggest that they are in fact more violent and less disciplined than prior generations.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    in before this gets locked...

I see spanking as another tool in a parents toolbox to aid directing a child on a proper path.. never out of anger..

to be used in a progressive manner when "NO", "TIME OUT" and other verbal cues/lessons fail to get the attention and correct the behavior.. but again, never out of anger.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    why is it then that the kids from the days where spanking was common place had so much more respect than the total pricks that are around today.

directed at the topic, not the above poster
  • ChaosMoosie
    ChaosMoosie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was spanked - not whipped - by my parents if I needed it as a negative reinforcement to prevent future behavior unbecoming a child. They stopped when I was about 8 or 9 because I could understand reason then.

We spanked our children - not whipped - when our boys needed the same. Under pressure from peers we stopped when they were just past toddler stage, and the result was mixed. One got in trouble with the law and at school, the other got in no trouble.

If I had it to do over again (and I wish I could) we would tell the 'peers' to mind their own business and we would spank till the age of comprehension.

As far as 'causing violent behavior' or 'extreme aggression' or any of those things, I call BS. I have training in Psychology, and I KNOW where many of these studies originate. I also know that there really is nothing that is "independent research". There is always a motive - an agenda - that someone, somewhere is TRYING to prove with any research. People want to prove THEIR point of view correct. This is for several reasons - vanity, power, influence, you name it - essentially people want others to be convinced that they, the 'experts' are right in what they say, and since THEY are right, everyone should do as they say.

Again I call BS.

Spank if you wish. NEVER abuse - but spanking is NOT abuse. No one ever died or was scarred by a swat to the butt. I would rather associate with people who were spanked in early life then talked to after they started to understand than with brats who never learned that actions have consequences at an early age.

As I have lived and seen much more of this than many others here, and as I have had specific training in early childhood development, I have earned the right to express my opinion based on observation over the years without having to apologize for it going contrary to the majority.

The majority, contrary to popular opinion, is not always right.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    why is it then that the kids from the days where spanking was common place had so much more respect than the total pricks that are around today.

directed at the topic, not the above poster

:bigsmile: no worries (becasuse that was in my thought process too)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    also, there is a big difference between a spanking and a belting. a spanking in my mind is a slap to the *kitten* that would sting for a second then be gone. if people are giving their kids bruises from spanking then that is most definitely abuse.

a lot of people think that if you spank your child, you are chasing them with a cane with the intent to cause harm, which is totally false.

edit: the poster 2 above this one made the same point, but much better than i.
  • samiyan05
    samiyan05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Exactly this!

I dont care what the "studies" say. Everyone knows it can be rigged one way or another depending on who is funding it. The lack of discipline in today's kids correlates with the lack of spanking. Nobody in my time will behave like the kids of today behave. Thank God my kids do not act this way. Yes, I spank if I have to, but she is 9 now and I cant even remember the last time I have to do it.
This discussion has been closed.