Spanking your kids yes or no?

Options

Replies

• SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't think spanking has much to do with the way anyone turns out. It has it's place in some homes. Personal choice. Abuse will mess people up yes, spanking no. Some people are just messed up from the get go as well. I have problems, but not from spanking lol.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I don't think spanking a child is the answer. I'm always fascinated by the parents that say - "I never spank in anger". What message does that send a child? I'm going to hit you now that I'm not angry.

Here's a thought for you: As an adult, if you do something wrong at work - can your boss clock you and then move on? Can your neighbor come over and hit you for letting your dog tear up his flower bed?

There is no logic in looking at children as though they are not people, too.

There is no logic in this argument - sure, my boss or my neighbour wouldn't hit me if I was doing something wrong - but they are not responsible for raising me so that is irrelevant.
    They also wouldn't enforce my bed time or supervise my TV watching or put me in time out or dock my pocket money or any other thing that parents appropriately do to their children.

I know some parents have decided not to use smacking and that's fine by me.

However, I think smacking, used sparingly, can be an appropriate discipline tool. It is not the only tool and it does have to be used in moderation.

Obviously belting, whipping etc are not ok - but light smacking, used sparingly, is not that at all.

I agree with posters that saying light smacking is abuse is trivialising to all those children who were really abused.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have a 9-year old and I've never had to resort to physical abuse to teach/guide him from right/wrong. A "disappointed dad" speech works perfectly fine. I also wield the power of my home's WiFi password.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    well, myself and my older sibling were spanked quite regularly growing up. My two younger siblings not as much, but they were here and there. Honestly, i think it has its place. I think kids can be punks, and a little swat could do them good. Although, I do agree with others who've said it shouldn't come from a place of anger. But, i think that must be difficult to accomplish. Spankings (to a kid) are typically, in my experience, doled out as a punishment. When my parents were dishing out punishments to us kids growing up, they were typically angry in the moment lol. I don't think it has any affect on IQ at all. But i guess i only have my personal experience to base that on, as i've never heard that nor done any research on that particular "stat". And, I definitely wasn't emotionally or mentally scarred because of receiving spankings as a kid lol.

all in all, i guess to each their own. i think most kids are annoying monsters, and I will not be pro-creating. so, this is not something I will personally have to deal with in my life. :drinker:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I do not agree. I love my son with all of my heart. I live by the bible it encourages to not spare the rod.

Will you go all the way and stone him to death if he's gay?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    121820131731169.jpg

I'm just kidding.

My parents did hit me as a child, and I didn't turn out any worse for it. But it's far too general a question. There are huge differences in the way you can hit your child, depending on severity, mood, and reason. That, in my opinion, determines whether or not it was justified. Slapping your child round the face in anger is extremely different from a tap on the bottom and telling them why they have received it.
  • BlessedJourney29
    Options
    why is it then that the kids from the days where spanking was common place had so much more respect than the total pricks that are around today.

directed at the topic, not the above poster

great question, I agree!
  • BlessedJourney29
    Options
    I do not agree. I love my son with all of my heart. I live by the bible it encourages to not spare the rod.

Wow, uncalled for, very ignorant on your behalf. And no, why would I murder my child! Please find someone else to "pick on" not me and my beliefs. God bless you.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Taking away the computer, toy, or something that they use regularly seems to sting more than a swat on the backside.

Having said that, spanking is appropriate in rare instances.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I have a 9-year old and I've never had to resort to physical abuse to teach/guide him from right/wrong. A "disappointed dad" speech works perfectly fine. I also wield the power of my home's WiFi password.

lol. melodramatic much?
  • BlessedJourney29
    Options
    121820131731169.jpg

I'm just kidding.

My parents did hit me as a child, and I didn't turn out any worse for it. But it's far too general a question. There are huge differences in the way you can hit your child, depending on severity, mood, and reason. That, in my opinion, determines whether or not it was justified. Slapping your child round the face in anger is extremely different from a tap on the bottom and telling them why they have received it.

I love that quote haha
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    why is it then that the kids from the days where spanking was common place had so much more respect than the total pricks that are around today.

directed at the topic, not the above poster

People said this about me, growing up in the 90s. My generation now says this people that grew up in the 00s, and I'm sure that in a few years, the 00s will say this about the kids from the 10s. I get the feeling that harboring disdain for those younger than you is a natural, irrational phenomena and part of "growing up." Or maybe you're the prick?
  • sageryu21
    sageryu21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Spanking as a corrective action is okay. Beating them into submission is a bad thing.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

How is spanking lumped in with "physical abuse"?
  • paperpudding
    Options

I think your post is a good example of a straw man argument.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I never spank. There are other much more effective punishments that physically hurting my children. I was spanked as a kid, and it made me even more rebellious. I refused to cry, and so they'd hit harder, with the whole nonsense "this hurts me more than it hurts you".

Now I prefer to take away privileges, electronics, toys, whatever. My son once lost the door to his bedroom for a month.

The one that always killed me was getting a spanking for whacking one of my little sisters. Could never figure out why it was ok for my parents to hit me for doing what I did first.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I use spanking along with time outs and taking toys away. I don't care exactly how other parents discipline their children as long as they do something. I understand different methods work for different children and different ages. But, for the love of god, please get your bratty rugrats under control in public. It irritates the crap out of me to take my very well behaved child somewhere and have our fun ruined by some little out of control heathens.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I would consider a quick light smack on the bottom as more appropriate than removing a bedroom door for a month.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I think your post is a good example of a straw man argument.

Sure, it goes a little far, but "living by the bible" doesn't always equate to great parenting.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No.
This discussion has been closed.