Spanking your kids yes or no?

Options

Replies

• BlessedJourney29
    Options
    I don't think spanking a child is the answer. I'm always fascinated by the parents that say - "I never spank in anger". What message does that send a child? I'm going to hit you now that I'm not angry.

Here's a thought for you: As an adult, if you do something wrong at work - can your boss clock you and then move on? Can your neighbor come over and hit you for letting your dog tear up his flower bed?

There is no logic in looking at children as though they are not people, too.

There is no logic in this argument - sure, my boss or my neighbour wouldn't hit me if I was doing something wrong - but they are not responsible for raising me so that is irrelevant.
    They also wouldn't enforce my bed time or supervise my TV watching or put me in time out or dock my pocket money or any other thing that parents appropriately do to their children.

I know some parents have decided not to use smacking and that's fine by me.

However, I think smacking, used sparingly, can be an appropriate discipline tool. It is not the only tool and it does have to be used in moderation.

Obviously belting, whipping etc are not ok - but light smacking, used sparingly, is not that at all.

I agree with posters that saying light smacking is abuse is trivialising to all those children who were really abused.

My point was that we treat others in our world with respect by not resorting to physical means. Why is a child any different?

I don't see how your example proves your point though - the comparison to your neighbour or your boss doesn't really work.

Of course it does. A person is a person - regardless of their age or how they are related to you. Your child will still be your child when they are 10, 15, 20, 45. Are you going to continue to spank them at these ages because they are "your responsibility to raise"? I doubt it.

Of course I am not - that is just silly.
    Once they are 20 or 45, they are not my responsibility to raise, they are grown adults by then.

By 10 or 15 most parents have moved on to other tools - discipline is an evolving thing.
    Just like I would not use time out for a 15 year old either.

You used the word discipline and the word means "to teach". Spanking is punitive. It does not teach a child what acceptable behavior looks like. It makes them conform to avoid the pain the parent metes out.

actually, they go hand in hand. I have taught my 4 year old to not run in the street.. a car can come and hit you and so we dont do it. he ran in the street one day hurrying to the park. we had the talk again.. a few months ago he ran ahead of me while i was getting the baby out of the car and guess what??? I spanked his butt and explained it to him again. It's been over 3 months. haven't had the issue or had to spank him again about that situation. it works for me! to each their own!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Discipline (whether incentive or punishment) must be consistent. It is just as important, if not more so, to reward good behavior as punish bad behavior. Children do whatever they can get away with +1. They are going to do what they are going to.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    So, ask yourself how did you turn out?? . Spanking a child when they need correction is a tool, you don't beat them. I vote with your boyfriend.

I dont think your own impression of yourself is credible. I once had a friend in high school who thought it was ok to smoke pot while she was pregnant (because her mom did it with her and "she turned out fine").

I love the "I survived" or "I turned okay" argument. If someone's parent's abused them and they "turned out okay" it was in spite of the abuse, not because of it. If you hit your kid, you should be put in jail.

Yes - let's jail all of the parents who spank. We should build hundreds of prisons just for them!

:noway:

That is crazy talk. Our government already has a spending problem. Instead of building new prisons, they should release other criminals to make room for the spankers.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I think its a rather hypocritical stretch to label parents who opt to spank “lazy” or "prison worthy" but whatever… and for whatever reason.. I think this whole thing just sums up the problem with today’s society …

it’s become so PC and so fearful of offending anyone, people are afraid to do anything about any wrong doing .. I commute 4hrs a day and I’m tired as hell of seeing idiot adults and kids doing whatever the hell they want without any regard for manners or common courtesy.. pushing their way in front of people, bumping into elderly without so much as an “excuse me” letting the door slam… and that’s just the adults… kids yelling and swearing on the train, standing in front of the doors so others can’t move, yelling back at grownups .. no respect, and no manners what so ever..

now that’s not everyone, but you can see people not even wanting to get in the middle of it because the parents won’t even do anything except “quiet down jenny” if even that.. most of the times the parents just ignore them and keep talking on their cell and/or talking to their friends completely ignorant to the chaos that their kids are causing..
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I don't think spanking a child is the answer. I'm always fascinated by the parents that say - "I never spank in anger". What message does that send a child? I'm going to hit you now that I'm not angry.

Here's a thought for you: As an adult, if you do something wrong at work - can your boss clock you and then move on? Can your neighbor come over and hit you for letting your dog tear up his flower bed?

There is no logic in this argument - sure, my boss or my neighbour wouldn't hit me if I was doing something wrong - but they are not responsible for raising me so that is irrelevant.
    They also wouldn't enforce my bed time or supervise my TV watching or put me in time out or dock my pocket money or any other thing that parents appropriately do to their children.

However, I think smacking, used sparingly, can be an appropriate discipline tool. It is not the only tool and it does have to be used in moderation.

Obviously belting, whipping etc are not ok - but light smacking, used sparingly, is not that at all.

I agree with posters that saying light smacking is abuse is trivialising to all those children who were really abused.

My point was that we treat others in our world with respect by not resorting to physical means. Why is a child any different?

I don't see how your example proves your point though - the comparison to your neighbour or your boss doesn't really work.

Of course it does. A person is a person - regardless of their age or how they are related to you. Your child will still be your child when they are 10, 15, 20, 45. Are you going to continue to spank them at these ages because they are "your responsibility to raise"? I doubt it.

Once they are 20 or 45, they are not my responsibility to raise, they are grown adults by then.

By 10 or 15 most parents have moved on to other tools - discipline is an evolving thing.

You used the word discipline and the word means "to teach". Spanking is punitive. It does not teach a child what acceptable behavior looks like. It makes them conform to avoid the pain the parent metes out.

actually, they go hand in hand. I have taught my 4 year old to not run in the street.. a car can come and hit you and so we dont do it. he ran in the street one day hurrying to the park. we had the talk again.. a few months ago he ran ahead of me while i was getting the baby out of the car and guess what??? I spanked his butt and explained it to him again. It's been over 3 months. haven't had the issue or had to spank him again about that situation. it works for me! to each their own!

So do you think your kid associates running in the street with being struck by you, or does he associate it with actually getting hit by a car? Is hitting how you "drive the point home" since your kid doesn't listen to you (or respect your parental authority) for one reason or another?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Serious question: what do you do, if you attempt to give your child a "time-out," but (s)he says, "F you - I ain't taking no f'ing time-out?"

Do you try to give them two time-outs? Do you lock them in a closet? What?

with my kids, when they were small, if they didn't co-operate with going to the naughty corner (i.e. not going when asked, or leaving before they're told they can) the time was started again. It went on and on until they complied. You do that a few times and they don't fight you any more, because it's easier for them to co-operate with the punishment and get it over with and they know there's no point trying to get out of it.

It's not about what you do on one occasion, it's what you keep doing consistently over time. If they know you're always going to follow through with the consequences, and that you're going to stick at it and make them do time out, no matter how much they try to get out of it, they stop fighting and start complying. And after that you get to the point where the threat of punishment is enough, and you rarely have to actually carry it out.

with smacking a child, if they turn around and say "f--- you I ain't taking you beating me!" and they hit you back... what do you do? Hit them again? .... it's the same question. Hitting a child does not remove this problem. If you follow that reasoning to its logical extreme the result is a punch-up between parent and child, and the child behaves because the parent wins the fight...? I've seen it where kids as young as 5 hit their parents back in response to being hit.... or shout back at their parents in response to being shouted at....

hitting does not automatically make a child behave. Clear boundaries and being consistent about consequences is what makes kids behave, whether hitting them is one of the potential consequences or not. Failure to be consistent = kid behaving badly and disrespectfully towards you, whether you are hitting them or not.
  • Cozmetick
    Cozmetick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, my *kitten* got smacked when I was younger...
    I'm fine.
    c:
  • LifeItself
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    I'll bite too!
    My siblings and I got spanked. We all turned out just fine. We've all graduated college, attained our MS degree, and, <GASP>, we all spank our own children.

I will add that my spouse is a K-6 teacher. On occasion, when I visit her classroom, I can tell which children have absolutely no discipline at home vs the one's who do. Unfortunately, 90% of the time, it is a single-parent situation.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, my *kitten* got smacked when I was younger...
    I'm fine.
    c:

Not anymore? I'm sorry. :cry:
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    There are two forms of "spanking". First is meant as a quick and immediate response to a child's unruly/inappropriate behavior. Example: Child does something inappropriate and you immediately respond with a swat to the butt. This isn't an action that requires any type of force. It is meant to be more for "shock value" to let them know (before they forget what they were doing) that it's unacceptable. Fast, quickly explain what was wrong, give a hug and go on with the day.

The second is more along the lines of corporal punishment. In order to deliver "this" type of spanking, there has to be a lot of things established first. The child must be old enough to comprehend actions vs. consequence. The parent has to have made it clear that a certain action will result in a certain punishment (generalization is a no go). Example: "Johnny, I hear you have been back talking your teacher. She has tried to give you punishments and warnings and nothing has worked. I have talked to Mrs. Crabtree and I told her if you do it again, to e-mail me. If I get an e-mail from her about this, it will result in a spanking followed by no dinner and an early bedtime so you can reflect on your actions.)

I was raised with spanking because as a child I was literally unaffected by these bullsh*t punishments of "time-outs", grounding, letter writing. Additionally, spanking wasn't always effective either. In my early teens, a spanking became a joke and closed fists would have to have been used for the same result (hello DCFS). My parents then moved to punishments of manual labor; breaking cement bags with the sledge, hauling dirt piles with a shovel and wheel barrel, moving telephone poles/railroad ties or relocating a huge stack of cement blocks from one side of the yard to the other. Yes, my father had access to and (in my mind) acquired these items for the soul purpose of punishing me :) ... and I love him for it.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'll bite too!
    My siblings and I got spanked. We all turned out just fine. We've all graduated college, attained our MS degree, and, <GASP>, we all spank our own children.

I will add that my spouse is a K-6 teacher. On occasion, when I visit her classroom, I can tell which children have absolutely no discipline at home vs the one's who do. Unfortunately, 90% of the time, it is a single-parent situation.

I'm going to have to agree with the single parent thing. However, that didn't happen in my single parenting with my son. He laments the fact that he didn't have anyone to play against me. What I said was the law, period. :laugh: I had his father's rights terminated, so there wasn't a father in the picture at all.

I do see a lot of single parent households with disciplining problems. My guess is that Mom or Dad is too tired, I don't know.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1. Spanking is fine, beating your child or spanking with an object is not.

2. If you do or do not spank your child, it's none of my business.

3. Society is getting soft. Everybody wins, gets a ribbon for trying, we don't keep score, we don't discipline... we are raising a bunch of children that will not be able to handle stress or failure in the future.

4. Being around tons of different kids all the time, you can tell what kids are spanked, and the kids who are not. The spanked kids are more behaved. (From my experience)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I was raised with spanking because as a child I was literally unaffected by these bullsh*t punishments of "time-outs", grounding, letter writing. Additionally, spanking wasn't always effective either. In my early teens, a spanking became a joke and closed fists would have to have been used for the same result (hello DCFS). My parents then moved to punishments of manual labor; breaking cement bags with the sledge, hauling dirt piles with a shovel and wheel barrel, moving telephone poles/railroad ties or relocating a huge stack of cement blocks from one side of the yard to the other. Yes, my father had access to and (in my mind) acquired these items for the soul purpose of punishing me :) ... and I love him for it.

My 8-year-old has gotten to the place where a spanking will do no good, so I've started going the manual labor route with him. I also like to make him do push-ups and jumping jacks and things like that. He thinks he's a tough little military guy so that really makes disciplining him so much easier.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I dont really see the harm in a little physical punishment. I dont spank my child but I have flipped her mouth for screaming at me and have slapped her hand for touching something I clearly told her not to.

There can be harm in any form of punishment if overdone. My typical form of 'punishment' is lecturing. I sit her down and explain to her what she did wrong, why it is bad, the long term or possible consequences for such behavior, etc. Even this form of punishment can be overdone and can be a very bad thing if overdone. I have to watch myself to be sure I am not yelling or that I dont 'lecture' for way too long.

I would also say that every child is different, what works on one won't work on another. When babysitting my nephew, trying to just talk to him didnt do an ounce of good and he wouldn't even listen to me. Chores ended up being his punishment (when he got mad and threw a bottle on the kitchen floor and broke it, he ended up scrubbing the entire kitchen floor by hand.)

Find what works, but keep in mind there are limits to any and every form of punishment - dont push the limits.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

[/qu

I think people forget they are not raising children, you are raising adults. You are teaching them how to behave as adults. They learn how to handle situations from their parents first. The biggest influence in their behavior is you. So yes, again, using the adult scenario is relevant.

So by your logic, we shouldn't use other techniques on children that we wouldn't use on adults - such as time out, restricting TV, etc.?

I know we are raising adults - actually I have raised 3 children to adulthood.
    But they develop from children to adults and our techniques evolve as they do so.

In a sense I do. If some adult is behaving in a way that I don't feel is right, such as lying, cheating, abusing, etc I may have to give them a "time out" as in not spending time with them for a while or ever. I wouldn't go up and hit them just because I don't like what they are doing but I may not associate with them depending on the degree of the action and my morals.

Yes, we could sit here and dissect every little scenario but I will not be responsible for my children in their adult years. It will not be my job to punish them any longer. Hopefully they will have learned life will do that with consequences to their actions. I hope that I can still offer advice when they need it, but I am one of those parents that I will always love my children, I hope to always be there as support for them but yes, in some situations if it is in their best interest and in mine I will disassociate from them until they are acting respectfully i.e. a time out meaning for a period of time and hopefully not forever.

There are many things I do for children that I would never do for a capable adult. That's why children have adults in their lives to care for them and fully capable adults have themselves. I do for children what they cant until they can and hope I have done my job to give them valuable life tools
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I think.. regardless of which route you take... we can all agree...that eventually,

Your kids will grow and you have to let go and they will have to take the lessons you tried to instill and hope that most of them stick and they can make the smart choices on their own..
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I grew up learning to fear the "chancleta" if any of us kids ever got out of hand.

2ro6bkw.jpg

2drys78.png

Most of the time my Mom or grandmother wouldn't even have to use it, as the threat of the chancla was enough to scare us straight.

At 10 I thought it cool to just leave a store with a candy bar. I got the Chancla. I never took anything without asking or paying ever again!

*lol* This reminds me of this youtube video "The secret of La Chancla" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYviBsqwwzE
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I don't have kids.

I'll say this: spanking "worked" for me in that I only needed one as a kid.

My tendency would be not to spank. Not saying I won't change my mind when there are actual children, but that's how I feel about it right now, whatever that's worth.

+1. swatting the backside is a technique of last resort to command the immediate attention of an out-of-control child who is too young to understand cause and effect or think ahead. that's it. if it becomes a go-to method of discpline for children over 4 or 5, you're doing it wrong. just my $0.02.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    This is a topic that is contriversial and very near and dear to my heart. I DO whole heartedly believe that spanking has a place in disciplining children. I firmly believe that this is what is wrong with many of the young adults today they NEVER learned there are repurcussions for bad behavior so there was no INCENTIVE to behave or act in a civil manner. I am sure there will be a lot of people dissagree but it is MY opinion. I have 3 children. All now 18 to 21 years of age. They All were parented and learned right from wrong, they All had a spanking and they are all well adjusted young adults that learned right from wrong. All three have never been in jail, done drugs. They all hold down good jobs and are attending school because they were PARENTED!!!!.
    I believe that spanking has its place. I believe that it reinforces a parents desire to have their children learn proper behavior and that there are consequences for bad behavior. I do not believe in ABUSE. When I did have to spank my kids. They knew WHY they were being punished and knew before it happened what was expected of them. I never used anything other than my hand to spank them and as a rule the bad behavior was not repeated. They have not grown up to be abusive to others or animals and have treat others with respect and most importantly they respect themselves. They do not feel ENTITLED to anything and work hard for what they have and work hard to KEEP it. They are also NOT afraid to take chances and assume responsibility for their actions and decisions.
    [/quote}

Yes but who raised these "young adults today"

I doubt you spanking your child occasionally resulted in respectful adults. I am sure it came from them seeing your actions and as you said, parented and doing a good job on it and not pointing the finger blaming everyone else. Whether you spanked or not, you did more than that.

Its not so much that a light swat on the butt is so horrible, its that some people believe thats all they need to do as a parent and their job is done.
This discussion has been closed.