Paleo = dying young?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I like these threads. What we do really know is that cavemen lead rough existences because they were constantly at war with the Sleestaks.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I will now exit the thread so that we may all bask in the omnipotence of his highness Johnny9000millino posts.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    And for the folks out there, Paleo/Primal is not vegetarian. It generally tends to be high fat (but focused on the good omega3-6 balance -- like in almonds, grassfed/pastured beef, etc.), moderate protein (20-35%) and low-ish carbs. The carbs really can go either direction depending on what you're looking for. Some choose lower carbs to lose weight/reduce body fat. But, others aren't looking for that so their carbs are higher. Generally speaking, carbs come organic vegetables and fruits -- focusing on those with most nutrient value (tend to be colorful). They also tend to be low glycemic index, but this goes back to the carb issue on how much carbs you're looking fulfill. When you cut out grains and get carbs primarily through vegetables and occasional fruit, it takes quite a few them to add up, unless they're the starchy carbs (sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc.). Dairy goes both ways. Some strict Paleo people say no dairy. Some more permissive/Primal people say dairy is fine if you can tolerate the lactose/casein in it -- and opt for the organic, full fat versions (i.e. cream, cheese, butter, full fat yogurt rather than low fat or non fat milk)

Also, a general tenet of Primal philosophy (which is a little modified from Paleo) is that there is an 80/20 rule -- following it at least 80% of the time. You're not looking for perfection or zealotry, but realism. So, if you want to indulge on non-Paleo/Primal things on occasion, just try to limit it to 20% or less. This will also depend on how well you tolerate the non-Paelo/Primal stuff. Many, once they go full 80% tend to go nearly 100% simply because they feel so much better eating that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like these threads. What we do really know is that cavemen lead rough existences because they were constantly at war with the Sleestaks.

brutal life I tell 'ya...just brutal...

large_Cavemen.jpg

I pity the caveman life...truly
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Almonds are literally toxic unless they are processed - there is no meaningful definition of either "paleo" or "primal" that almonds fit.
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I will now exit the thread so that we may all bask in the omnipotence of his highness Johnny9000millino posts.

hahaha didn't you know this guy knows everything apparently!!!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind Paleo so much if you didn't have to spend twice as much on food or have to go slaughter the animals yourself because you can't find it in the grocery store... Or that they like to base their belief on the idea that agriculture is what is making us fat... depsite the fact that society has used and depended on agriculture for 10,000 years and only the last 30 is how long we have been battling obesity.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Mr_Knight -- it depends on how literal you want to be with Paleo or Primal. A lot of people that are more permissive and less literal, look to the underlying nutritional value - -and if it mimics the standards in Paleo/Primal, it's good enough.

Almonds wouldn't fit into a raw diet, but there are certain types of "processing" that is acceptable in Paleo/Primal -- like almonds, cold-pressed coconut oil, etc. We don't eat our meat raw either, but cooking isn't something we generally consider "processing" like you see in junk food, but more akin to what we see in almond "processing".
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    K8 -- how we've been growing our agriculture in the last 50-100 years is drastically different than it was done 10,000 years ago. Even the bread your grandmother ate is significantly different than what we eat today due to a lot more modern manipulation of wheat. So "agriculture" from 10,000 years ago is significantly different than it is now.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Mr_Knight -- it depends on how literal you want to be with Paleo or Primal.

A term either has a "literal" definition, or it is essentially meaningless - which is precisely what the marketing hacks have achieved with the terms "Paleo" and "Primal".

The 20% rule is absolute genius - people can now literally eat anything they want and still claim to be on-plan.

Anyway, we're well past-peak on these particular fad diets now, I can't wait to see what lunacy replaces it...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Even the bread your grandmother ate is significantly different than what we eat today due to a lot more modern manipulation of wheat.

My grandmother hated the bread my grandmother made. It was coarse, rough, and about as digestible as a brick. She considered herself the most blessed person on earth when she emigrated and discovered "modern" bread.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    K8 -- how we've been growing our agriculture in the last 50-100 years is drastically different than it was done 10,000 years ago. Even the bread your grandmother ate is significantly different than what we eat today due to a lot more modern manipulation of wheat. So "agriculture" from 10,000 years ago is significantly different than it is now.

We didn't even have the technology and science 100 years ago in agriculture that we have now (even 50-75 years ago is pushing it as it's on the cusp)... the point is... agriculture, grains, and whatnot is not what's "killing us" as the Paleo adherents like to claim... perhaps too much of it is (because it's cheap and easy)... perhaps the variations are... but grains, legumes, tubers, etc. in and of themselves are not what the problem is.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight -- it depends on how literal you want to be with Paleo or Primal. A lot of people that are more permissive and less literal, look to the underlying nutritional value - -and if it mimics the standards in Paleo/Primal, it's good enough.

Almonds wouldn't fit into a raw diet, but there are certain types of "processing" that is acceptable in Paleo/Primal -- like almonds, cold-pressed coconut oil, etc. We don't eat our meat raw either, but cooking isn't something we generally consider "processing" like you see in junk food, but more akin to what we see in almond "processing".

Its just like don't eat dairy! But butter and cream and cheese (if you're primal) are A OK. Simply make exceptions for foods you want to eat and demonize all others
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options

large_Cavemen.jpg

Am I the only person who actually liked that Caveman show. He worked at IKEA(sort of), oh god, it was so bad it was good

(Oh damn...sorry I'm sure there will be a swift and terrible punishment coming my way for speaking out of turn)
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    K8 --

I'm not sure I'd saying killing us. But there are a lot of people that have issues with components in grains -- whether that's gluten or otherwise. And we are eating them (along with sugar and processed foods) in far higher proportion than we ever have before the last 100 years or so.

Is it correlation or causation? Hard to say at this point, but many people are having success when eliminating or reducing them from their diet.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Acg67--

I don't think it's demonizing, it's taking a reasoned position. If you read more of the science behind it, perhaps you'd understand it. But, since you haven't, I suppose it's easier to just scoff at that which you don't understand.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Mr. Knight --

Well, if your goal is to run 5 miles, is it better to settle for 4 miles on some days? Or better to just not run at all?

I think the 80/20 rule makes a lot of sense, and far much more so than a 100/0 rule.

Don't let perfection get in the way of progress.
  • dbmata
    Options

large_Cavemen.jpg

Imagine the burns ol Neadernlefty can get from that weber!
  • dbmata
    Options

Hey, bring those back.

Johnny9000 ain't bad, he's just a... character.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a gimmick and there's nothing inherently healthier about it.

+1