LCHF/KETO - New WOE seeking friends to share food diary.

Options

Replies

• Asphere79
    Options
    You are 100% right MapleFlavour. I would love to see these people in 5... 10 years. DIETS don't work. It's all about a lifestyle. When you severely limit/ eliminate certain foods you used to enjoy then that's when you eventually binge on them and gain the weight back. Might work for now, but I doubt it will be easy to maintain in the long run. Trust me, I've learned from years of experience.

Actually no she isn't. There are lots of cases of people being in dietary ketosis for 10+ years. For me IT IS a lifestyle change. I loved breads, pastas, and sugary foods. lovED. Past tense. I have no cravings for them now. I really mean that. I easily turn them down. I don't think about them. I love the food that I make and eat now and I will never go back to a moderate to high carb diet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/z7dvt/today_is_my_10year_ketoversary/

Here is a two year study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

Sure buddy.... but I'm not super into eliminating perfectly fine and healthy foods for NO reason at all other than to create a deficit that I can do whilst eating all the breads and pastas (within my calorie limit). Plus, I don't have to be "that guy" at a gathering that has the "special diet". If my friends want to order nachos. I can eat them and not worry about peeing on a keto stick.

Now you are being snarky. Also, that is fine that you are not into a low carb diet. We are not trying to get you to try it. We are trying to keep you from dissuading someone who chose to do one with unsolicited advice and information that is illogical and wrong.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You are 100% right MapleFlavour. I would love to see these people in 5... 10 years. DIETS don't work. It's all about a lifestyle. When you severely limit/ eliminate certain foods you used to enjoy then that's when you eventually binge on them and gain the weight back. Might work for now, but I doubt it will be easy to maintain in the long run. Trust me, I've learned from years of experience.

Actually no she isn't. There are lots of cases of people being in dietary ketosis for 10+ years. For me IT IS a lifestyle change. I loved breads, pastas, and sugary foods. lovED. Past tense. I have no cravings for them now. I really mean that. I easily turn them down. I don't think about them. I love the food that I make and eat now and I will never go back to a moderate to high carb diet.

Sure buddy.... but I'm not super into eliminating perfectly fine and healthy foods for NO reason at all other than to create a deficit that I can do whilst eating all the breads and pastas (within my calorie limit). Plus, I don't have to be "that guy" at a gathering that has the "special diet". If my friends want to order nachos. I can eat them and not worry about peeing on a keto stick.

Now you are being snarky. Also, that is fine that you are not into a low carb diet. We are not trying to get you to try it. We are trying to keep you from dissuading someone who chose to do one with unsolicited advice and information that is illogical and wrong.

This always happens in keto/paleo/low carb topics. I always wait for it to happen and it never fails to do so.
  • Amytrue1
    Amytrue1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Any LCHF/KETO folks please feel free to add me! My diary is open to friends, and I am always looking for new meal ideas.
  • minibandit
    Options
    Whenever a specific 'diet' is mentioned here it is set about. Let people find their own way, after all we are all trying to get healthy and one size does not fit all in certain circumstances. The people that jump on threads that have absolutely nothing to do with them are killing this forum.
  • Asphere79
    Options

This always happens in keto/paleo/low carb topics. I always wait for it to happen and it never fails to do so.

I have definitely noticed that too. Also, as soon as you mention that you are doing a LCHF diet everyone becomes a freakin' nutritionist.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I'm not saying it doesn't work , I'm saying it's completely unnecessary, it's pointless to limit certain foods, it's not healthier in any way...

With all due respect, I find your statement very self centered. You cannot apply something that works for you as a general rule to the rest of the MFP community. You say it is " pointless " to limit certain food, yet you have no idea what points people are trying to make.
    I, as an example have Lupus and for more than 50 years RA....very painful RA.
    Only over the last couple of year have I found out that for example sugar ( and I do not want to start another sugar debate ! ) and simple carbs aid in the inflammatory processes of auto immune diseases...in short with many auto immune sufferers it makes their disease worse. It took me about 2 years to believe it, but when I was bed ridden and could only walk with a walker ( early spring of 2013) I was so desperate that in April I quit all added sugar, processed flour, most bakery goods and tightened the screws on all processed foods.
    My inflammation ( often with knees the size of large cauliflowers ) went down and after two month I could walk with a cane and since last July I walk unaided, which includes 45 minutes a day at a fairly fast clip as exercise .
    Since I was tempted a few times I ate a sweet roll or something processed and within less than 24 hours I could feel the difference.
    Also, I as so many have certain trigger foods and it is much easier for me to avoid them completely instead of limiting them. I know that it is not healthier, but it's easier.
    Therefore I would really appreciate if people thought a moment, especially remembering the MFP credo " Everyone is different " ( and with that I do not mean special snow flakes ), because we all are and due to let's say difference in sex, age, weight, culture, the food of the culture, health & disease history, $$$ and quite a few more factors....and last but not least the " points " we are trying to achieve, that people would refrain from blanket statements that are just based on their own experience, but not much else .
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yeah, you have to love the "it's all about calories" philosophy so someone sets up a deficit then a month later says they aren't losing weight and the carb chorus sings "your deficit is too large".
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can peek at mine, it's always open. However I'm not the best logger as I tend to be on autopilot and a little repetitive.

DISCLAIMER....I apologize if how I choose to eat is a personal affront to anyones delicate sensibilities. I don't like potatoes and grains give me pangs of death tummy pains. This makes me a bad bad person, I plan on saying 10 hail marys to atone for my sins. Thank you
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    yeah, you have to love the "it's all about calories" philosophy so someone sets up a deficit then a month later says they aren't losing weight and the carb chorus sings "your deficit is too large".

Gotta eat more bro. It's that starvation mode.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would like to remind everyone of the following rule:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

It is allowed to provide an opposing view, but if the OP has a reason to do a specific "lifestyle" that is their decision. Lets keep this civil.

psuLemon
  • millscolleen
    Options
    ok, so I have been on the keto diet for 3 weeks and lost some pounds, but I'm stomped. do I recalculate my micros as I loose weight? I just can't seem to fathom taking in the same amount of calories as I get smaller. also I'm going to calculate on the highly recommended keti calculator. please help. A sincere Newbie :-)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    ok, so I have been on the keto diet for 3 weeks and lost some pounds, but I'm stomped. do I recalculate my micros as I loose weight? I just can't seem to fathom taking in the same amount of calories as I get smaller. also I'm going to calculate on the highly recommended keti calculator. please help. A sincere Newbie :-)

Yes, you should re - run your numbers. Personally, I like to re-adjust every 5-10 pounds that I lose. The keto calculator is an excellent tool to help identify what to adjust.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

While your BMR might drop as you lose weight, it's possible to offset the difference with the intensity of your workouts. Personally, whether I was 220 or 185, my TDEE has stuck around 3000 calories. The bigger question is around the accuracy and consistency of your logging.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Please add me....I would like to see what kind of foods you eat. Right now I am 20/40/40.... fat, carb and protein.
  • menacingsprite
    menacingsprite Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I have definitely noticed that too. Also, as soon as you mention that you are doing a LCHF diet everyone becomes a freakin' nutritionist.
    Yea I really hate when people do that, they act like they know you better than you. FYI, I stayed 100% within my calorie ranges with lots and lots of carbohydrates and lost 0 lbs, in fact I gained weight. Since I switched to LCHF I lost, granted I've only been doing it for 2 weeks, I've lost 10 lbs so far, but tomorrow is weigh in day.

I've been gluten free for over a year now, I don't eat bread or pasta these days and to be honest, I don't want them. The only downfall for me is sugar. And being that I'm pre-diabetic I should probably stay away from sugar because I also hate taking medication. My issue is this, if you body doesn't do well with sugars (both complex and simple) why take a medication just to keep eating them? It makes no sense. I'd rather not have to deal with the GI effects of medications like Metformin and bring my A1C down with controlling myself. The high fat portion keeps me fuller for much longer than high carb.

I really hate it when all people want to do is criticize the way someone chooses to eat like it's a personal offense. Get over it and move on. Don't stick your nose where no one asked for your opinion. The OP asked for LCHF/KETO advice not your "Low Carbing is bad for you" advice.
  • PaleoRN
    PaleoRN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Add me as well! Its been ten days on a goal of 80/10/10 and havent quite made this number yet but I'm close and have shed three lbs. 37 more to go and I would love to share ideas, recipes and inspiration. I am Paleo-oriented but want to Keto for weight loss and then adopt it to daily lifestyle. I am not interested in dieting but rather what I've come to call my " Fabulous French Lifestyle" since I unintentionally lost weight eating their very fatty foods on trips over there a few years back. I would love to share!

PaleoRN
  • huneydrop
    Options
    Is there a way to follow posts?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but I'm low carb...i try and keep my carbs between 100g and 150g a day :) My exercise of choice is weight lifting, elliptical and yoga :flowerforyou:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to follow posts?

short answer - not that I know of.

Longer answer - threads you have posted to are listed under "My Topics" which is just above ^
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm eating primal and would love to have you as a friend.

I'm losing about 1 - 2 lb per week eating low carb/high fat.

I'm afraid I can't share my diary as I don't log my food (or count calories). I'm not advocating not counting calories by the way.

Good luck on your new journey.

Also sorry about the paleo trolls, they do like to pop up on most threads that mention paleo, or keto.