Sobriety

Options
i've been thinking a lot about my life pre-sobriety vs. post sobriety. for anyone currently struggling with alcohol abuse or alcoholism, life *can* be truly amazing without booze. and this is not in a preachy "YOU MUST GO TO AA NOW" kind of way. i think if you can find something that works for you (AA, therapy, SMART recovery, yoga, nature walks, running, cooking, spirituality/religion, anything!) that helps keep you from going down the road of addiction, then by all means, embrace what works!

this is just my story...i wrote it at 5 years, 2 months. now, i'm at 6 years and 7 months.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/silvergurl518?month=201209

please feel free to add or message me if you need motivation/support. i wish the best to all of you <3.

-laura

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful person.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with it. But it was a decision that I think will make the quality of my life better the longer I do not drink.

Much respect to you L.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that you saw a problem and have decided to improve your life! :heart:
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    She's awesome!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You know I think the world of you, Silver! You truly inspire :)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My brother is in AA and I went to a meeting with him when I last visited him, and I think the idea of it is more scary than the actual program. I thought it was great, and there is a wonderful support system. You don't get judged if you fall off the wagon, they help pick you back up and everyone is so open. He lives in west hollywood, and he says you hear some CRAZY stories that make your alcoholic rampages seem minimal haha. And the cool thing about it is you can make new friends, who share common goals.

Its just like fitness, you seem to be on track better if the people you surround yourself with are supportive and share the same thoughts on what you do. And people from some AAs get together and do fun things that dont involve alcohol, so you dont have to feel like you cant live a fun life anymore, because most events in life do involve alcohol of some sort.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    *MUAH!*

sober can be AWESOME!!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    MUCH respect to you. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Friend req sent :)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I like a good session on the drink fortunately it has never got to the stage where i feel i needed help, i binge drink at the weekend but don't touch the stuff during the week, addiction is a terrible thing, my intake counts as alcohol dependancy but i think this is overstating the fact somewhat
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    You are amazing Laura! So strong.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Good stuff.

130+ days sober...I quit counting.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    that is amazing , congrats on the sobriety

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never been a drinker. Don't understand why anyone would find it fun.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    i've been thinking a lot about my life pre-sobriety vs. post sobriety. for anyone currently struggling with alcohol abuse or alcoholism, life *can* be truly amazing without booze. and this is not in a preachy "YOU MUST GO TO AA NOW" kind of way. i think if you can find something that works for you (AA, therapy, SMART recovery, yoga, nature walks, running, cooking, spirituality/religion, anything!) that helps keep you from going down the road of addiction, then by all means, embrace what works!

this is just my story...i wrote it at 5 years, 2 months. now, i'm at 6 years and 7 months.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/silvergurl518?month=201209

please feel free to add or message me if you need motivation/support. i wish the best to all of you <3.

-laura

I've been sober and cleaner for over 24 years. Food is often the next stop gap for a lot of people. I've finally let go of the need to over eat all these years later.