Types of food you avoid eating while on diet

Options
Are there any specific foods you stopped eating since you started counting calories or eat very rarely?

I started my diet very aggressively 5 months ago by not eating at all bread, pasta, potatoes, sweets (expect for sugar for my coffee), butter, any food containing flour, cheese, bacon, ham, etc. I also ate once every two weeks red meat (small portions) and two eggs (I was trying to lower my cholesterol levels). I ate lots of vegetables and fish, low fat milk and yoghurt and fruits. After 1,5 month I started eating spelt bread and pasta (they do not contain gluten), potatoes and last month I started eating again small portions of light cheese and light mayo, a slice of ham now and then and a sweet about once a month. What about you?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing!
    Everything in moderation including exercise.

/endthread
  • popshoveit
    Options
    I stopped eating peanut butter with anything else in it, and started to only eat natural peanut butter.
    I try to not limit what I can eat though.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I didn't stop eating anything, but I definitely cut back on the amount of cheese I eat. I was a cheese fiend before.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing!

/endthread

10000%
  • deadyankee
    Options
    Avoid nothing!

/endthread

Yes, although the thread is asking what people choose to do, not what you dictate to them so I think the thread can safely live on a little longer.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have definitely changed over time. I love food and eat at friends houses a lot. I say no to lollies, chocolate, chips. never liked coke. Ive decreased cheese and butter too without thinking. Ive increased fish, yoghurt and egg intake. and upped my portion size for brekkie and lunch. I think carbs are important so I eat this
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing!

/endthread

+1
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    For the last 20 months, I have been eating all the foods I love - just in moderation. It has taught me portion control. I have been kinda successful. :laugh:
  • popshoveit
    Options
    Avoid nothing!

/endthread

I don't know if that's really sound advice. I started to avoid peanut butter with craploads of additives, and started to eat natural peanut butter. I think that was a good choice, no? And I'd be curious to hear what other changes people have made.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anything. :)

Well.. Sometimes at dinner on campus I'll avoid starchy sides (rice, potatoes) because I know they give us bigger portions then a serving size according to their nutrition information. This is fine because then I'll just go weigh my carby dessert in my room :).
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I have changed what I eat, but eat what I want to. its just that my wants have changed. I think of my caloires ike money. if I cant "afford" it or its too "expensve" then I eat what is a better deal. My trigger foods are peanut butter and cheese. I could have got a whole jar of pb and a spoon and went to town before (probably now too) and cheese: yumm I don't buy the slices of cheddar that I like god forbid the 8 oz chunks anymore. I still have these things but what I do is buy single serve pb and cheeses. I pair them with a big glass of water and pretzels, celery sticks, and or some other fruit or yougurt too. I savor every little bite I take and make sure I count it. This way I am in control of the food instead of it being in control of me.
    I pretty much eat what I want other than that.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the things I can't stop eating!! No peanut butter, cheese and a few other things as once I start, it is hard to stop!!
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    The only foods I'm trying actively to avoid are those that trigger my compulsive eating. Potato chips, for example, and for some reason homemade granola. Well, any granola. I just don't trust myself around it any more.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I avoid high-sodium foods when I can, and I don't eat "low fat/fat free" stuff much - I eat normal stuff as I find that what is taken out in fat levels is usually added to with other things - sodium, sugar, etc, and tastes less than optimum - so eat real food but portion / measure it.

Nutella - if it is in the house I eat it by the spoonful .... oh and ice cream is almost as bad for me :blushing:

Otherwise I pretty much eat everything!

Logging religiously and carefully will show you where best to spend your calories to get best nutrition for your spend - but I agree with Helloitsdan - everything in moderation - including moderation! :smile:
  • alcianblue
    Options
    Well, every time I tried moderation when I started a new diet, I failed miserably. It was like I was a recovering alcoholic who had a few shots now and then. I'm sure there are a few other people out there who feel the same. I do plan to start eating all foods in moderation when I reach my goal weight.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing!

/endthread

I only avoid foods that I don't like.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Low fat, no fat, low carb,no carb diet foods.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I avoid nothing.

Yesterday I had potato chips and ice cream, and I'll eat them again today because a life where I'm not allowed to eat potato chips and ice cream (or anything else that I'm not allergic/sensitive to) isn't worth living.
  • June_Bride
    Options
    I avoid cola, I was an addict before and I also dont have sugar in my tea because I drink about 5 cups a day, I have sugar in my coffee though, but I only have one cup a day.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    When I started, the "foods" I cut out completely were fast food & junk food. McD's, Coke & potato chips topping the list.

From there, I started adjusting and adapting as I went. Cut back on sodium next. This moved me further away from processed foods. The last thing I removed from my diet was meat. I am starting year two of a meatless diet. (Still some fish, eggs & dairy, so not a full vegetarian)

More important that what I stopped eating, is what I started eating! Today my diet includes, a wide variety of beans, lentils, long grain brown & wild rices, tempeh, tofu, kale, spinach, oatmeal, quinoa, loads of fresh fruits & veggies. The variety of great tasting foods available is awesome! And, the best thing about a diet with a variety of different foods is that I rarely felt like I was depriving myself of anything.

One last parting thought, if cholesterol is an issue for you? Ask your doctor and/or dietician about eggs. My understanding is that eggs provide a needed version of cholesterol along with a decent amount of protein. (Why I still eat them).