250 calories per day on chocolate?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• jagged95
    jagged95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What are the 'macros' everyone is talking about?

There are 4 macronutrients. A high level explanation of each of their functions is:

Protein, which is required for muscle retention/growth
    Fat, which is required for healthy body functions
    Carbs, which provide energy
    Alcohol, which provides for embarrassing photos

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Alcohol, you made me giggle.
  • martinytime
    martinytime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just ate 1/2 a serving of 86% cacao dark chocolate for 125 calories. If you are going to eat chocolate, eat really good chocolate with lots of antioxidants that come with the darker chocolates. Aim for 70% or higher cacao for the most bang for your calories :)
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If eating that chocolate is what keeps you at your daily calories, keep eating it :)
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Except, the fact that the majority of people here have been overweight in their lifetime strongly argues your assumption is misplaced.

My assumptions are not misplaced. Quite the contrary.

I realize my personal experience only counts as anecdotal evidence, but...

I was morbidly obese. I lost 120 lbs and have kept most of it off for over 10 years. Realistic, incremental changes to my diet and lifestyle over the long term is what has enabled me to keep the weight off long after the majority of my fellow "big losers" have gained it back. I didn't deny myself anything (treats, whatever) and I've done just fine. In fact, I'm in the best health I've ever been - faster, stronger - and I'm much happier, too.

Since you don't share much in your public profile, greytfish, I'm left to wonder... Are you speaking as an obese or formerly obese person yourself? If yes, how much did you lose and how long did you keep it off? Just curious. I always wonder about the folks I interact with. What's their backstory? Why did they say that?...

FWIW, I've "walked the walk" in the fat suit. I think that gives me just a tiny bit of MFP cred. I just want to share what I've been through. I hope to give someone a little hope that it can be done - and by mere mortals. I'm not here to lecture people on the right or wrong ways to lose weight - because I can't. I'm here to offer what I can - support, comraderie, consolation... and maybe a little tough love if someone needs it.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Assuming that most people won't pick the Butterfinger over the chicken is a nice gesture, but the sheer number of people here and in the population at large who are overweight or some veriation of obese undercuts that assumption. It's quite difficult, even for a conditioned overeater to intake an appropriate amount of protein for a person their size (vs. the "just enough to maintain the base amount of muscle to sustain the life of someone not overweight and subjecting their skeleton to extreme stress: suggested as an RDA or by MFP) and then eat enough Butterfingers to become obese or overweight.

And, I applaud your effort in losing that much weight, keeping it off, and remaining here for others. I try not to make personal assumptions about people, but your remaining here as a resource speaks well of your character.

This might be the only thread in which it hasn't come up in discussion, no, I have never been obese or morbidly obese. I've been more fit than I am now as well as less fit, had more and less body fat that I have now, carried more and less muscle mass than I do now and done most of it in everything from the near vegetative sedentary state of being post serious injury and post serious surgery to the other end of the spectrum of being very active. I'm just fortunate, not in my genetics, but in the habits I formed from a young age, because it was something my mom prioritized. It has made it much easier to keep a mentally helathy relationship with food and other challenges in life. I can't take credit for that, but I can use it to help people battling illesses and severe injuries get more active and stay in better shape, which constitutes a good portion of my nonprofit work.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing a little of your backstory, greytfish. I appreciate it. It's more difficult to interact with or relate to someone when you don't know what's an interest or a trigger topic. (I've hit a few too many triggers in my day. Unintentionally.)

I try to remain optimistic about folks on MFP. I believe people have a desire for positive change and have a great capacity for learning. I also believe in reinforcement / positive feedback loops. When someone makes healthier choices, then sees positive results, I hope that inspires him/her to make more positive choices. (Until chicken over Butterfinger becomes the norm, not the exception.) Unfortunately, heavy reinforcement can also lead some people to disordered eating (not just overeating, but anorexia). A pendulum effect, if you will. For me, tight restriction lead to extreme restriction, and I had to learn to back myself off of it. So now, I just try to encourage folks to stay within the boundaries of normal eating - which may include treats now and again.

Thanks again for revealing yourself a little bit! It's nice to learn more about interesting people.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Except, the fact that the majority of people here have been overweight in their lifetime strongly argues your assumption is misplaced.

My assumptions are not misplaced. Quite the contrary.

I realize my personal experience only counts as anecdotal evidence, but...

I was morbidly obese. I lost 120 lbs and have kept most of it off for over 10 years. Realistic, incremental changes to my diet and lifestyle over the long term is what has enabled me to keep the weight off long after the majority of my fellow "big losers" have gained it back. I didn't deny myself anything (treats, whatever) and I've done just fine. In fact, I'm in the best health I've ever been - faster, stronger - and I'm much happier, too.

Since you don't share much in your public profile, greytfish, I'm left to wonder... Are you speaking as an obese or formerly obese person yourself? If yes, how much did you lose and how long did you keep it off? Just curious. I always wonder about the folks I interact with. What's their backstory? Why did they say that?...

FWIW, I've "walked the walk" in the fat suit. I think that gives me just a tiny bit of MFP cred. I just want to share what I've been through. I hope to give someone a little hope that it can be done - and by mere mortals. I'm not here to lecture people on the right or wrong ways to lose weight - because I can't. I'm here to offer what I can - support, comraderie, consolation... and maybe a little tough love if someone needs it.

I agree with you. The tools that MFP offers makes it possible for people, who for whatever reason, have fallen into unhealthy eating patterns to figure out how to make realistic choices in the context of their overall diet.