Calling all sugar addicts!

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've got to admit it, I'm a sugar addict!

Has anyone read The Sweet Poison Quit Plan? Did it work? I've got to break out of this cycle! :explode: I know I'm an addict because I can go so many days with nothing and and I quite literally start jonesing for chocolate and I have an almighty binge and then feel gross!
    I've read that sugar is as addictive as nicotine! Is there anyone on here that's managed to kick the habit?

Without sugar you'd die, true story

I would imagine you and she are not talking about the same definition of sugar.

No, I'm on about chocolate and cake and biscuits - processed sugar? Refined sugar?

You will not die without those things.
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar almost three weeks ago and trust me.....I love my chocolate! The first week, I craved it so bad but I have already overcome that. I work in an office that constantly has donuts, cookies and cake and I havent had a bite but it did take willpower. I can't say how I will be long term but right now I feel so much better.
    I only had cravings the first week, the last two weeks havent bothered me at all. I think for me, its because I am seeing weight drop off of me by eliminating sugar and white flour, and bad carbs. So many things have sugar. Its about reading labels.
    I feel like I am thinking clearer and I dont think about food all the time like I used to.
    Eating more protein and lots of veggies keeps me on track.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Unlike a heroin addict who would risk using a dirty needle or a cocaine addict who would snort spilled cocaine of a urine infested floor, I truly doubt any sugar addict here would eat any sugar laden product after abstaining from it for however many days, if I sprinkled poo on it. If you could, then maybe you are a sugar "addict".
    Physiologically we use glucose for energy, so we're never "abstaining" from it anyway. Psychologically people adhere to habitual behavior until it's changed. Habitually "needing" sugar will keep people wanting it. IMO it's really not an addiction since you really can't moderate addiction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's an interesting argument. But are you really sure no one would eat the chocolate with poo sprinkles if there were not other chocolate available? A cocaine addict that could simply walk to the nearest 7-Eleven and get clean coke wouldn't likely take your poo sprinkles cocaine.

But what if chocolate were illegal and the only chocolate or sweet treat of any kind was your chocolate with poo sprinkles. Are you positive no one would take it?
    Hey, who knows. I've seen people do some stupid **** for kicks. Again, I don't liken sugar "addiction" to that of cocaine, heroin, gambling, etc. I don't see people who have to abstain from it, then get a massive craving and would hike 5 miles for it to get a fix. But again, who knows?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Unlike a heroin addict who would risk using a dirty needle or a cocaine addict who would snort spilled cocaine of a urine infested floor, I truly doubt any sugar addict here would eat any sugar laden product after abstaining from it for however many days, if I sprinkled poo on it. If you could, then maybe you are a sugar "addict".
    Physiologically we use glucose for energy, so we're never "abstaining" from it anyway. Psychologically people adhere to habitual behavior until it's changed. Habitually "needing" sugar will keep people wanting it. IMO it's really not an addiction since you really can't moderate addiction.

IDEA Fitness member

But what if chocolate were illegal and the only chocolate or sweet treat of any kind was your chocolate with poo sprinkles. Are you positive no one would take it?
    I think it would depend on the poo and the chocolate....American chocolate I'd probably just eat the poo.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: C'mon now Ghiradelli chocolate from SF is da bomb and US made!

IDEA Fitness member
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier as you get older. Your tastebuds mature and change. I used to adore sugary treats but now I find that I can hardly stomach some of them anymore.

Now, I like the way plain yogurt tastes and I used to use the kind with as much sugar as a candy bar. I'm OK with no sugar in my coffee whereas I used to use FIVE. I even got 365 Brand peanut butter for my peanut butter cups.

Yes, I still like a good piece of cake. But it has to be GOOD.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I think it's easier as you get older. Your tastebuds mature and change. I used to adore sugary treats but now I find that I can hardly stomach some of them anymore.

Now, I like the way plain yogurt tastes and I used to use the kind with as much sugar as a candy bar. I'm OK with no sugar in my coffee whereas I used to use FIVE. I even got 365 Brand peanut butter for my peanut butter cups.

Yes, I still like a good piece of cake. But it has to be GOOD.

How old do you have to be? I'm going to be 53 this year and have not found this to be true. I mean, sure I want cake to be good, but that was always true. Who wants to eat bad cake?

I've become accustomed to denying myself too many sugary treats, but they still taste as good as ever.
  • bcattoes
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That's an interesting argument. But are you really sure no one would eat the chocolate with poo sprinkles if there were not other chocolate available? A cocaine addict that could simply walk to the nearest 7-Eleven and get clean coke wouldn't likely take your poo sprinkles cocaine.

Hey, who knows. I've seen people do some stupid **** for kicks. Again, I don't liken sugar "addiction" to that of cocaine, heroin, gambling, etc. I don't see people who have to abstain from it, then get a massive craving and would hike 5 miles for it to get a fix. But again, who knows?

IDEA Fitness member

I've been known to hike 5 miles to fit wine into my plan. I imagine some would do the same for a bowl of Ben & Jerry's.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I've been known to hike 5 miles to fit wine into my plan. I imagine some would do the same for a bowl of Ben & Jerry's.
    I meant literally hike 5 miles to go get a tablespoonful of it to get their fix.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Not sure with all the debating going on with this post that you will see this, but I wanted to tell you there is hope! Whether others agree that sugar is addicting or not, I know it is for me and like other addictions, you need to stay away from it completely in order to kick the "habit". This is harder than it seems, you have to be scrupulous when reading labels..there is sugar in EVERYTHING! I once checked a turkey "just to be sure" and it had sugar in it!!! (not sliced, a whole turkey).
    I have been completely off sugar for quite a few years now and it has made a huge difference. Now and then I miss some things, but do not have to deal with the cravings any more. If you really want to stop, you have to go all the way or it just won't do you any good.
    Well, that's my two cents anyway
  • sparkyval
    Options
    Wow I came to this post for strategies and all I see is a bunch of disrespectful arguing? Palease!!!!! If you can't relate to driving around in your car eating donuts so your family won't know...and then realizing they will wonder what happen to the 4 missing out of the dozen so you hide them ...only to eat the rest about an hour later after everyone is gone to school...why are you posting on this thread... YOU DON"T GET IT... Man I am interested in hearing strategies... when I am off the stuff I don't want it... if I start it... it consumes my whole world and it becomes all I think about... I DON"T CARE WHAT YOU REFER TO THAT AS ... it is not the way to live ... high and mighties get out of the way please so those of us who need strategies to bite the bullet ...again... can get support...
    Sakes alive people....
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Without getting into the debate about addiction versus a disorder, people with eating disorders have been known to do things like that for food related reasons. Some people with binging related disorders will pull food out of the trash, sometimes after covering it with something to make it unappetizing. Some have resorted to shoplifting in order to fulfill a binge. People who truly binge (and not just overeat) can go to some pretty extreme behaviors when they are in a binge cycle.

*Most people with nicotine addictions aren't selling their bodies or eating poo either, but nicotine is still considered to be a highly addictive substance.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Theres some people that food is just fuel. this topic is not for them :) they dont have the same use of food as food addicts.

not that im going to use that as a crutch to justify my eating donuts all day.

But, some people have gone totally very low carb (like only 30 a day).. and not even fruit or dairy or cheese.

TOO hard!!!

So what i did was decide to do without processed carbs/sugars, and instread i have fruit. after a few weeks i really really crave it. its funny that i did without my usual sweets for about 2-3 weeks and amazingly i was able to do it even though they put all this valentines gourmet cupcakes out in the office for free.. but i spied a yogurt and that way i didn't feel deprived.

I am not with the "anything in moderation" crowd, however, to not feel deprived i choose what i feel is sweet and healthy.

im still working on it, however, to break your habit, find something healthy that will taste good and then you wont feel deprived and you will feel satisifed.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling viciously with binging on sugary carby foods, so I'm giving the 21 Day Detox a try. Not everyone would promote a "plan" like this, but I really like it so far. I have stopped eating crappy fat free yogurts with all kinds of additives and artificial sweeteners, sweet coffee creamers, etc. Only a couple of days in and my taste buds are picking up on the natural sweetness of whole foods.

Do you like the Greek yogurt, that have less desirable stuff than even regular yogurt? Im enjoying Fage with the fruit in it.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Point to ponder!!!

I think thats poo to ponder !
  • patricia_dawn
    patricia_dawn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm working on kicking the sugar addiction. It's pretty scary when you start researching how addictive sugar really is and how over the past 30 years they've been adding it to everything. Some people blame carbs, some blame fat but it's the sugar that's getting us hooked and sick. There are some great YouTube videos about sugar. If you look up sugar addiction, you'll find them. Good luck. Keep in touch and let me know how it's going for you.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've got to admit it, I'm a sugar addict!

Has anyone read The Sweet Poison Quit Plan? Did it work? I've got to break out of this cycle! :explode: I know I'm an addict because I can go so many days with nothing and and I quite literally start jonesing for chocolate and I have an almighty binge and then feel gross!
    I've read that sugar is as addictive as nicotine! Is there anyone on here that's managed to kick the habit?

Just don't bring it in the house and do not go by the isles where you find the candy and ice cream. Empty calories can easily take up so many of your calories. I have such a problem with sugar. If I get it I cannot control myself and will eat and eat it until it is gone. I have polished off 10 large cookies or a whole cake over several times eating. i love baking but I will pig out on the things I make. They are just too good. I can't just have one or two servings. I have tried, but I just can't. Now we just get sweets when we go out in small servings.
  • Jess732008
    Options
    Processed sugars are an addiction for me. When I go off, I get a headache for several days. Ibuprofen helps me through. Once past that three day mark, the pull is easier to avoid. (likely because of the memory of NOT wanting to go through the headache phase again.) Having something to look forward to, like dark chocolate with almonds helps and I can stop eating that. (Unlike a pan of brownies where I can put away the whole thing, then look for more sugar to the point of ...well...I'm not going to go there.) Definitely eating more "clean" (whole foods, less processed stuff.) helps me tremendously, too. If I have something sweet, then I have to recognize the next time I crave it if it is the craving speaking...in which case I assert myself (keep busy, make other healtier choices) and avoid it to get back to the place where it loses its pull on me. The longer I go without the easier to avoid when its in my face. (bowls on desks, break room "treats", kids bringing stuff from grandma's...etc.)

I don't know about the book you are talking about, but I know there are plenty of people who claim sugar addiction. I think much like some people can handle alcohol fine without addiction, there are likely many people who can handle processed sugar without any trouble. For some of us, it is a gateway that leads to addictive behaviors (hiding while eating, hoarding, seeking...unable to think of anything else until you get that fix...then great for a bit until you come down...then feeling crappy...but the crappy feeling only makes you seek to get more to feel good again even though logically we know it's stupid.) Yeah...addiction.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

I get a headache too. I was having a little break from healthy living for a couple weeks because I had been watching what i eat for a while. I had cookies quite a bit. When I stopped having them, I had the worst headache. It went from the top of my head down to my upper spine. It was horrible.

My mom was a baker when I grew up and would make something once or twice a week. I remember pigging out on ice cream sandwiches and fudge even when I was a small child. As I got older I could eat a whole bag of cookies. It is such a problem for me and a big reason why I got fat.
  • Jess732008
    Options
    Sometimes it is easier to just cut something out entirely than control it. Some things people just can't control.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I love it when things that should be taken solely tongue and cheek are suddenly taken seriously.

Sugar addiction.

Yes. You are "addicted" to food.

Good luck breaking that one.
  • Jess732008
    Options
    Wow I came to this post for strategies and all I see is a bunch of disrespectful arguing? Palease!!!!! If you can't relate to driving around in your car eating donuts so your family won't know...and then realizing they will wonder what happen to the 4 missing out of the dozen so you hide them ...only to eat the rest about an hour later after everyone is gone to school...why are you posting on this thread... YOU DON"T GET IT... Man I am interested in hearing strategies... when I am off the stuff I don't want it... if I start it... it consumes my whole world and it becomes all I think about... I DON"T CARE WHAT YOU REFER TO THAT AS ... it is not the way to live ... high and mighties get out of the way please so those of us who need strategies to bite the bullet ...again... can get support...
    Sakes alive people....

I used to do this at home when I was growing up. My family would get mad at me for eating their sweets every so often. I became quite a sneaker of food. I would stay home sometimes when my family went out just so I could eat. Now I don't sneak. My husband doesn't really judge me for eating sweets.