We don't know what constitutes a true paleo diet!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…for the roll, and because I find this entertaining...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    how is this topic still going? reddy and lindsey have not gained any ground and more people have joined in against it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

have they? I don't consider your contributions "joining" anything tbh.

just the way I like since I am not trying to put out opinions as facts. Still waiting for some back up on your genetically modified meets aka the pink cow I mentioned before. And any back up about evolution that you were stating like 200 posts back.

you did not find the marks daily apple website that Lindsey cited to be a credible source?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    how is this topic still going? reddy and lindsey have not gained any ground and more people have joined in against it.

just the way I like since I am not trying to put out opinions as facts. Still waiting for some back up on your genetically modified meets aka the pink cow I mentioned before. And any back up about evolution that you were stating like 200 posts back.

you did not find the marks daily apple website that Lindsey cited to be a credible source?

He does often cite underlying studies, and then you can read them for yourself.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

Lindsey has posted some sources, Reddy has done no such thing.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Do you guys have any desire to actually read any of the underlying sources or discuss the issues they present? Because so far, I haven't seen any of that, so I can understand Reddy's decision to not bother with such disingenuous requests.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Except when people try to pass opinion off as fact.
    Then it becomes just fear mongering.
    But you already know that.

you keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means.

You keep trying to be funny. I do not think you know how.

People disagree with you = fear mongering? That's all I've seen, and the hyperbole has wholly been on your side of the fence.

Nope. I accuse people who spit out theories that foods are harmful but can't back those up with science of fear mongering.

No hyperbole whatsoever.

You definitly don't want my opinion of biologists who boast their credentials then quote blog posts as scientific evidence. You wouldn't like it.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    People disagree with you = fear mongering? That's all I've seen, and the hyperbole has wholly been on your side of the fence.

Nope. I accuse people who spit out theories that foods are harmful but can't back those up with science of fear mongering.

No hyperbole whatsoever.

You definitly don't want my opinion of biologists who boast their credentials then quote blog posts as scientific evidence. You wouldn't like it.

Even if those blogs and books do a decent job of gathering and citing the underlying, supporting scientific studies? No, that wouldn't make sense at all. How terribly logical and convenient.

So far, you've given me very little reason to value your opinion, so I don't really care what it is either way. And, my degrees will still be there despite your opinion of it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Do you guys have any desire to actually read any of the underlying sources or discuss the issues they present? Because so far, I haven't seen any of that, so I can understand Reddy's decision to not bother with such disingenuous requests.

if you post the study, I will read it…I have nothing better to do as I am stuck home with strep throat…

Oh ok, so it is totally legit to say that Paleo is backed by nutritional science ,but then when someone requests the study, that persons request must be "disingenuous"….hmmmm interesting …

I could tell you I can change copper to gold, but you would probably want some proof of that, yes?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What amuses me is the "health benefits" of a paleo diet.

http://www.paleodietevolved.com/benefits-of-the-paleo-diet.html#.Uw0oP87-nt8

This has to be my favourite...
    The paleo diet recognizes that the human body digests fructose differently than other carbs. It's this reason that the paleo diet suggests limiting and strategically choosing the perfect fruit for the job!

Skip the banana and eat a kiwi instead!

Unless you know what you're doing, limit yourself to 2-3 pieces of fruit per day... Max.
  • RockWarrior84
    Options

if you post the study, I will read it…I have nothing better to do as I am stuck home with strep throat…

Oh ok, so it is totally legit to say that Paleo is backed by nutritional science ,but then when someone requests the study, that persons request must be "disingenuous"….hmmmm interesting …

I could tell you I can change copper to gold, but you would probably want some proof of that, yes?

If actual credible source is posted that I can read and not have to go buy a text book then I will read it.
  • RockWarrior84
    Options
    What amuses me is the "health benefits" of a paleo diet.

http://www.paleodietevolved.com/benefits-of-the-paleo-diet.html#.Uw0oP87-nt8

This has to be my favourite...
    The paleo diet recognizes that the human body digests fructose differently than other carbs. It's this reason that the paleo diet suggests limiting and strategically choosing the perfect fruit for the job!

Skip the banana and eat a kiwi instead!

Unless you know what you're doing, limit yourself to 2-3 pieces of fruit per day... Max.

My 2 cents on fructose, is that some of that stuff is accurate to people who have sensitive digestive systems BUT IT IS ALL BASED ON THE INDIVIDUAL.

My wife is on the FODMAP diet, due to her IBD, which foods with higher fructose to glucose are avoided. This diet is to try and help people with IBS/IBD symptoms and is recommended by some dieticians and internal medicine doctors (such as my wife's doctor').

http://fodmap.com/what-are-fodmaps/
    http://fodmap.com/info-for-professionals/
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Well, I've posted several sources that gather such studies, and so far they've just been scoffed at or complained about, without any discussion or criticism of the underlying scientific studies.

You yourself just scoffed at the blog, even though there is a wealth of credible information cited on it. So, yeah, that looks pretty disingenuous to me.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

If actual credible source is posted that I can read and not have to go buy a text book then I will read it.

If you don't want to read the books, fair enough. Go to the blog then -- 100% free. And I think he even hyperlinks many of the studies. Though you'll have to actually do some of the clicking yourself. I can only spoonfeed you so much.
  • RockWarrior84
    Options

If you don't want to read the books, fair enough. Go to the blog then -- 100% free. And I think he even hyperlinks many of the studies. Though you'll have to actually do some of the clicking yourself. I can only spoonfeed you so much.

oh come on, I can only do so much at work. Its bad enough i am in here but making me multitask even more is nonsense.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents on fructose, is that some of that stuff is accurate to people who have sensitive digestive systems BUT IT IS ALL BASED ON THE INDIVIDUAL.

This is true. But dietary advice should be non-partisan unless it is prefaced with a medical condition that would best be eased by following a particular diet. There are some people who, for a reason unknown to me, like to have everyone doing what they're doing.

My particular opinion is to start with the broadest strokes and work your way up to the details... basically, advise someone to eat as much and as great a variance of food as they can and exclude things only when they're necessary to exclude. Unproven pseudo-science aside, there's no scientifically-proven health benefit to being paleo if you experience no dietary distress from the food it doesn't allow.
  • RockWarrior84
    Options

Ok, I would not take that blog too serious. He does make some points that are backed up by studies and some points he makes by references.....LA TIMES?!?!?!? Really? He also references his other blogs.

Blogs are a persons opinion and interpretation but some of the stuff is opinion based on someone elses non medical/scientific/slanted opinion. But I will give him some credit for SOME of his research.

Here is a bashing of paleo in a sense

http://perfectformuladiet.com/plant-based-nutrition/the-paleo-diet-dangers-and-distortions/

Here is a anti-paleo blog

http://ezinearticles.com/?Eating-Paleo-Food?-See-Here-What-Can-Be-Dangerous&id=7475434
  • RockWarrior84
    Options

This is true. But dietary advice should be non-partisan unless it is prefaced with a medical condition that would best be eased by following a particular diet. There are some people who, for a reason unknown to me, like to have everyone doing what they're doing.

My particular opinion is to start with the broadest strokes and work your way up to the details... basically, advise someone to eat as much and as great a variance of food as they can and exclude things only when they're necessary to exclude. Unproven pseudo-science aside, there's no scientifically-proven health benefit to being paleo if you experience no dietary distress from the food it doesn't allow.

We started with FODMAPS are removed 1 food at a time and then waited to see if there were improvements or not. We were shocked to see foods like Apples were a huge culprit to increased pain to her. She has kept a food journal and kept track of all foods that have been singled out as affecting her IBD.

Like I said when it comes to this stuff of needed to eliminate stuff from you diet it on a case by case thing. Almost any person who has gone awhile with out red meat and then has a steak will not have a happy gut. that does not mean it is bad for you. It is just that your body is not use to it.

Paleo diet, IMO in its purest sense is unobtainable. Nobody is going to be able to find food at the store that has not had some sort of influence from mankind. I would love to see these Paleo people go out and hunt and gather their own foods.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Well, I've posted several sources that gather such studies, and so far they've just been scoffed at or complained about, without any discussion or criticism of the underlying scientific studies.

You yourself just scoffed at the blog, even though there is a wealth of credible information cited on it. So, yeah, that looks pretty disingenuous to me.

last time I checked 'marks daily apple' is not a site devoted to peer reviewed studies…are you trying to tell me it is a credible as say, the new England journal of medicine?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

:laugh:

What a charlatan...

(Sisson, I mean)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I would love to see these Paleo people go out and hunt and gather their own foods.

That would require actual effort.

Much easier to sit on your butt and post nonsense in a chat board.