Friends say I am too skinny now

Options

Replies

• amanda776
    Options
    I'm less than 10 lbs away from my goal and I've been hearing those comments also. Just brush it off and put your head up high!
  • mufamuscles
    Options
    Some people criticize because they're jealous (I suspect this is the case here). Some are well-meaning but come off terribly (could also be the case here).

Do what makes YOU happy. 5'2 and 107 is definitely slim, but not unhealthy in my opinion.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I take all those comments ("skinnie minnie, you're a stick, aren't you done yet?") as compliments. I say thank you and move on. I think they get used to seeing us a certain way (overweight) and then it's a shocker when we get small.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You look great! And, if you feel good, then just ignore them. I get those comments too. I just remind people that I have more energy now than I ever did and most importantly....I FEEL GREAT!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are genuinely concerned, especially in light of all the eating disorders. I use to lose a lot of weight to the point of being undereigjht when depressed, so it was good that people said something.

Tell them you feel great and your doctor is happy about your weight.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Ask them if they would call a large person fat.

So true. I'm 5'9.25" and before I started losing weight, my BMI was at 24.9---I was just about to venture into overweight territory. No one really ever said anything, except ME. Now my BMI is around 19.2 and my entire family thinks I'm too thin and they have called me "creepy." They're all overweight/obese and I have never said, "Hey, Fatty McFatterson. Looking fatter today!" I know I don't have a small frame (I'm medium-sized) so my bones stick out a lot but that's just how my body is. I'm not underweight or unhealthy, I eat at maintenance (and probably more than they do on some days) and most importantly, I'm happier with my body now than ever before.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I get that too. Someone told my wife my face is so skinny now I look sick. I ignore it. I'm down 40 lbs from my peak weight five years ago but still don't think of myself as sickly skinny. I mean look at my profile pic. That is current. It's the people that have known you during your "fat" years that say it. That's the lens they are using when they look at you and think your are sickly skinny. I guarantee strangers you meet, the thought doesn't even enter their mind. Just ignore the comments and know it's not true, they are just comparing you to what you looked like before.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    People here have already covered the concept of the skinny bias, so basically: if you feel fantastic (and you do look fantastic), then you don't need to take any body criticism. When your body changes, your identity changes as well. Your friends might need time to adjust to your look.
    I'm 5'2 as well. My weight fluctuates between 95-105 lbs. Only my family really scrutinizes my body, but their comments have become so routine that I just phase it out. If you are self-aware and in control of your health, there's no need to take side comments seriously (unless your friends are doctors). :flowerforyou:
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    No kidding i hadn't seen a few friends for about 6 months and they thought i was dying, one lad said i looked like i had aids which was nice, the thing is if you lose a lot of weight you will look different, i weigh roughly what i did at 19 and no one thought i was dying then

I had a bet with the guy who thought i had aids on our strength he lost big time which was nice especially after i patted his belly afterwards
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have had the same responses. My favorite is "give that girl a sandwich!" I have good muscle definition and there still is enough fat on my body. When I get a comment like "you are too skinny" I usually respond "compared to who?" And it shuts them up because it is usually from somebody who has to lose weight or something to the like. If you KNOW you are fine. Then don't listen to anyone else.
  • abradeen2013
    abradeen2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I remember that the most recent winner of The Biggest Loser, Rachel, was given a lot of greif in the media about looking too thin at the finale. She WAS really thin, but I think that because the public saw how heavy she was starting out, they were quick to judge her. But really, if she was a stranger standing in line at Starbucks would you really look at her and think, "Wow - she is too thin!" Probably not. And it was a contest for a lot of money - my bet is that she will probably put a little back on now that the competition is over. If you are in a healthy weight range for your height, and you are able to meet your nutritional needs I would say that this is "their" problem and not yours. Only you (and hubby) know how you look standing naked in front of the mirror and only you know how you feel. Are you energetic or do you feel sluggish and tired? Does your hair and skin look great? Or are you noticing that your skin is dry and you seem to be losing a lot more hair in the shower? If you are not noticing any of those problems just keep doing what you are doing and as my hubby would say "Don't let the turkeys get you down!" He lost 70lbs in three months and his mom started complining that he was looking too thin because she could see his collar bone and sholder bones that had been "hiding before". After hearing this for about the 10th time, he finally pulled up his shirt and showed her that he still had some belly fat to lose, and said emphatically "I'm not too skinny!!!" She backed off, but I do think that somewhere in the back of his mind he took what people were saying to heart because he started gaining weight again after that. Long story short, try not to let others get you discouraged. Only you know in your heart what is best for you and your body. It is just plain bad manners to comment on someone's appearance when unsolicited if you don't have anything nice to say. A "wow, that was so rude!" might put them right back in their place if all else fails. Good luck!
  • AvengersMom
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone that responded. I have been getting so much criticism lately I was actually starting to believe it. I feel fantastic, and maybe need to get a thicker shell! Not let things bother me and brush it off like you said. It's just so odd that no one said anything when I was obese, and had tons of health problems.

THANK YOU ????
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I'm getting these all the time. I'm 165cm/52kg. I feel great ... but people are saying that I'm to skinny and that I need to gain weight. One of my neightbours said that she is so worried about me and that I'm starting to look anorexic. I was stunned, I honestly didn't know what to say to her, inside I was screaming "Mind your business, it's my body". Instead I just told her not to worry, that I'm fine, because I didn't want to make her feel bad like she did with me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I cannot figure out why, in our culture, it is "ok" to pick on slim people. It's no more ok to do that than it is ok to pick on overweight people. Nobody wants to be made to feel bad about themselves.

Having said that, if you are healthy, and happy with how you look, them screw 'em!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Everyone says that to me too. I'm 18% BF. That is at least 10% too high. So sod 'em. I'll decide when I'm too skinny.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You're fine. People just aren't used to the new you. They'll get over it. I also think people have a hard time telling what an appropriate weight is anymore, since so many people are overweight, being overweight seems "normal" now.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Poor you.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yup. Just this morning the mother in law was on the phone asking my partner if I was ill. She hadn't seen me for about 6 months so my weight loss was probably a shock. I'm somewhere between 5'3 and 5'4 (hard to tell because my bones are all wonky lol) and 105lbs so I am a couple of lbs underweight but I wouldn't expect it's a noticeable amount between the healthy range and underweight. I don't like what I see in the mirror myself so I have a plan that involves gaining a little bit back and everyone else will just have to deal with it until I'm happy with myself.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First let me say I am obese. Reading the thread has called me to question my own comments of those that have lost weight. I think I have used the word skinny to people I know with the intent of compliment, as a term of comparison from where they were. And from an obese prospective there are ALOT of skinny people. So I'll have to keep a closer tabs on my usage of that word.

With that said, I have thought a person had lost too much weight and did not say anything. I would inquire about their maintenance plan or such but avoid a commentary on their looks. Mostly as I know much of my thoughts are somewhat locked into this vision of what the person used to look like. So it takes time for me to get over what my brain says it should be seeing (the overweight person) while looking at a thinner person. Kind of like looking at a man that has had a beard most of his life, then shaves.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal - we all know on here how tough it can be. I hope you feel as amazing as you look.

As for the comments, I get those too, mainly at work. I have always had thin arms and legs, I carry weight on my belly which is not noticeable in my baggy work uniform. I cycle to work and run, and colleagues have never had a problem with that but when I finally started paying attention to my nutrition as well for some reason it became a massive issue: "why aren't you eating cake with us, are you anorexic now, you're so skinny why are you on a diet" etc etc. It seems that exercise is "acceptable" but trying to eat healthily at the same time means you have some kind of issue. At first I was rising to the bait trying to explain that I was NOT on a diet, just eating properly so my body would finally reflect the amount of exercise I do but then I just gave up. Now some of the men are asking me what I eat and how I've built up muscle - it's just the girls that have the problem now it seems. Some of them are even telling me that if I carry on I'll get "bulky" :frown: I'm a UK size 8!

I try and tell myself they are jealous, but it still hurts. Even some of my friends say "oh you are taking all this too seriously" when I just want them to be as proud of me as I am of myself. I do have days off (bf and I are going out for thai and drinks later and I am going to have exactly what I want and not care) but that's a reward for being good all week at work! At least he is supportive and tells me I look good!

Keep it up and try and ignore them :drinker: x