Herbalife? Anyone try this to aid weight loss?

Options

Replies

• pterwelp
    Options
    From what I understood from herbalife is that their protein is plant based vs, "whey" protein which is animal based....plant protein is better for you than animal. The reason it is not sold In stores is that it is pharmaceutical grade and held to higher standards than over the counter FDA....hence higher price. I don't like the pyramid scheme either and don't sell to anyone but signed up just to get the discount and buy without having to go through sales reps.
    I agree with a majority of others....these shakes can be used as a meal replacement, however, you have to change and eat healthier overall and exercise if you truly want to see a lasting change. There is no magic potion or shake out there. Calories In and calories out. The shakes are higher protein if you use in the morning for breakfast can kick start your energy and metabolism for the day. And I suppose if you have two shakes a day over time you will lose weight, but not realistic long term unless you are a fanatic about and have the money...I find it too expensive for long term. Same deal with shakeology and all the others like.
    Good luck finding what works for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi All -

Have any of you used Herbalife to supplement your weight loss? A friend of mine (older adult w/ a child) sells it and is really pushing me to try it. She keeps trying to get me to sign up for a body scan and try Herbalife. I've read mixed reviews on it, and honestly have never used shakes before. My intention was to maybe use one as breakfast - as I am not a breakfast fan. I just feel so blah when I eat breakfast - or like millions, I "have no time."

I am trying to change my habits and eat healthy, but with a goal of 100lb. weight loss - I feel like I could use the extra boost. Tips/thoughts on Herbalife?

Jen

Herbalife doesn't work anymore. It used to, but no more. Save your money. The government ruins everything.
  • Kimberling234
    Options
    I am using Herbalife but purchased mine on Craigslist from a lady who used to sell. Got the Ultimate kit for $30 :)
  • sarahgardner9828
    Options
    Hi, herbalife is full of rubbish synthetic ingredients. If you want to try something thats good for you then juice plus is the way to go. No synthetic ingredients. Ive lost 2 and half stone on it and I feel fantastic. It is literally just juiced fruit and veg in shakes or capsules. I love it so much my whole family take it now even the kids :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money! Eat healthy and exercise the weight will come off!
  • prettyBhaug
    Options
    Where are people getting this $200 thing from? I get you guys hate herbalife but no need to lie and attempt to insult users of herbalife . I'm doing awesome with it. I just use the powder ($26), multivitamin ($16), and the cell activator vitamin ($18). I do have an awesome distributor that I get products from, but either way, it does not total $200 bucks. It's working well for me and may do the same for other people. Nothing is an end-all, be-all. Of course if you stop, and eat up everything, you're going to gain it back. It's that way with anything.

Do what works for you :)
  • michellerenee22
    michellerenee22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you got the whole Ultimate kit for $30 then I guarantee it is not herbalife!

I am using Herbalife but purchased mine on Craigslist from a lady who used to sell. Got the Ultimate kit for $30 :)
  • kayveebee7
    kayveebee7 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just declined to a friend because I need something that is sustainable. He told me that I would be replacing a meal and my thought was, I like food too much to replace it with a shake, lol. I am not interested in drinking a replacement shake forever. I want to be able to learn healthy food choices under any circumstance. He asked me when I was going to check him out, I told him when I stopped losing weight by eating right and working out. But honestly, I just know I can't sustain that type of lifestyle, so I'd rather just do it the old fashion way, eat right and work out tight!
  • pagmichigan
    pagmichigan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nothing will come between me and my Herbalife....changed my life
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is bashing the overpriced drinks, but I am a believer in shakology. I wasn't when I started, but it came with the challenge pack for P90X3 and of course my coach recommended it. So why not? Well, first of all, I'm a soda addict. I mean like 3-4 12oz cans a day at minimum, not something I'm proud of, trust me. I also couldn't stand to eat an actual meal for breakfast so this was perfect. I was expecting a nasty thing when I mixed it up lol, but it was actually really good, I was surprised. About two weeks in, I noticed that I was opening a can of coke at lunch and finishing it with dinner, and then just started going through days where I didn't crave or need a soda. I feel more energized, of course that could be the workout too. I'm happy with my choice. It's expensive, but to me it's worth.

Good luck and what ever you chose and don't let anyone push you into a program that isn't right for you.

Oh and today marks 3 weeks soda free :)
  • jfram
    jfram Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just signed up and I start my program tomorrow. I honestly beleive that this product is not what gives you the end results, but because I am the type of person that needs a "plan" to stick to... I thought I would try it. I think it will hold me accountable. The product combined with excercise and healthy eating consistently are what gets you the results and will ultimately keep off the weight. The distributor that sold me my program didn't just sell me the product, he actually holds fitness classes, customized a meal plan for me and gave me a home workout plan to combine with the product so to me, I feel like I'm getting more than just some supplements. In addition, he does before and after pics so you can see your results and tracks your progress. I think this is what will make him a successful seller and my a successful loser! I know that after I drop this weight and get a jump start... I can always use a meal replacement from GNC if I want. I did also ask the distributor about it being soy-based mostly because of the whole GMO scare and they do use a non-GMO soy for anyone who cares about that aspect. They also offer the whey-based shakes as well. I hope those supplements don't make me sick like some of the people posting... time will tell :)
  • selenamatencio
    Options
    I love having a shake for breakfast, because, like you, I wasn't a breakfast eater. It really helps with my energy through the day and gets my metabolism going, so I can burn more calories throughout the day.
  • AMR76
    AMR76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Having done a 12 week weight loss challenge with Herbalife, for me, I would state that It's the program, not the product. Being accountable to that scale on a weekly basis is a major factor. Plus I like a challenge. Now? I'm doing weight watchers and losing at the same rate. Nutrition, program, planning, accountability....

While you can use any product you want, the local Herbalife store here has weight loss challenges with 1 hr weekly classes and the meetings were very informative. It was inexpensive - $30 or $40 for a 12 week challenge. You do get a coach, 2 free body scans, guidance on what nutritional goals to meet (protein, carbs, calories, exercise, etc) and weekly nutrition classes. They did not hock their product nor use it during the classes on nutrition so I would recommend them for the classes alone (in the Overland Park, KS area). They were very informative and they had excellent instructors here. And if you like the plan they use with their product, great!

The coach will be the one you meet first who after doing the body scan and goal setting will sell their product to you. If you like shakes, it's expensive ($35 - $40 a canister) but not a bad deal. Compared to $9 for an EAS protein mix @ walmart it's a little steep.... It's a matter of finances and personal preference.

Personally I'm a fan of a protein shake as a post work out pick me up / protein replacement - not as a meal replacement. I like solid food for meals :)
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Many years ago because my boss at the time had lost more than 200 lbs using this. Downside for my boss- kidney stones requiring surgery - complications from surgery- recovery from surgery and then more surgery required because his kidneys were not functioning properly and he then had more kidney stones. As for me lost some weight - cannot remember how much but the memorable part was back aches like I have never had before or since which were attributed to kidney stress. Stay away from that stuff - it is horrible.

As a side note - I managed to run into my former boss about 4 years after this and he had gained all the weight back and then some.
  • lindseyhillard
    lindseyhillard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It allegedly caused kidney failures.

I was looking for a protein powder to help since I'm a vegetarian and haven't been eating enough protein. My cousin is an Herbalife coach so I called him up to see what they had.

I asked him specifics about ingredients and he couldn't really answer. He just kept telling me how healthy the products are. Since I am diabetic I decided to put in a call to my dr for his opinion.

He called me back and advised me to stay away from the products. He sent me a link to check out so I could learn more about how the ingredients effect the body. Once I read that I decided against the products.

The strange thing is, I sent my cousin all the info and told him about what my doctor said he didn't seem the least bit concerned. He told me that he "knows it is healthy, for a fact". When I asked him how he knew the conversation stopped.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Their health & safety record is abyssmal.
    http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/herbalife-safety-issue-draws-scrutiny/

And they put in Ma Huang aka Ephedra into their product according to internet searches.

Their ingredient list is not listed online, and people say it's a huge long list, including Stevia in it. Stevia is banned in Europe btw due to safety concerns by the EU commission.
  • agilson5
    agilson5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and currently still am loosing absolutely love the products! you can pm me if you want more info on it!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    LOL @ at all the pro-herbalife posters for whom this thread is their first and only MFP contribution.

Seems a little fishy.
  • SnoviaTerror
    SnoviaTerror Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are going to be good and bad reviews for Herbalife, or any health product on the market. My personal trainer has been on the products for 12 years and his business partner has been on them for 15 and these guys are in AMAZING shape. I have only been using them for 3 weeks but I feel better than I ever have in my life. It works for me.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Why would a personal trainer be so clueless about nutrition and time management to need a meal replacement for 10+ years?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!