These all sound great. Thanks.
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    Bump!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I went to a fancy Thai restaurant this weekend with my bf. I had a soup called Gai Tom Kha. I really wish I could find a light version of this recipe because it tasted so fresh with yummy spices. Too bad it has a coconut milk base. I bet that makes up for a lot of the calories and fat. Oh man, it was so good!!

Could you not try using a Light Coconut Milk, I buy a brand called Blue Dragon here in the UK and their light coconut milk is half the calories 102 cals rather than 198 cals and 9.6 g of fat rather than 19.8g per 100ml. I'm sure using that you could make a nice tasty skinny version. I use the light stuff all the time and there is no difference in creaminess or taste.

Thanks for the idea! I will definitely check into finding light coco milk. I didn't know they had such a thing. This soup is so good that it's definitely worth a try.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I went to a fancy Thai restaurant this weekend with my bf. I had a soup called Gai Tom Kha. I really wish I could find a light version of this recipe because it tasted so fresh with yummy spices. Too bad it has a coconut milk base. I bet that makes up for a lot of the calories and fat. Oh man, it was so good!!

Could you not try using a Light Coconut Milk, I buy a brand called Blue Dragon here in the UK and their light coconut milk is half the calories 102 cals rather than 198 cals and 9.6 g of fat rather than 19.8g per 100ml. I'm sure using that you could make a nice tasty skinny version. I use the light stuff all the time and there is no difference in creaminess or taste.

Thanks for the idea! I will definitely check into finding light coco milk. I didn't know they had such a thing. This soup is so good that it's definitely worth a try.
    The Lite Coconut Milk here is about 50 calories per 125ml, so even less than the one quoted. It's a Thai Kitchen brand product. Just make sure your recipe calls for coconut milk, and not cream. It's a great substitute. We use it for Thai curries when we have them :)
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Made broccoli-cheese soup last night and it was GREAT! Only modification I made to the recipe was that I didn't add the dry mustard as I didnt' have any. I also ran it in the blender a bit since I prefer my soup more smooth than chuncky.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/broccoli_cheese_chowder.html

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large carrot, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 large potato, peeled and diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
    8 ounces broccoli crowns, (see Ingredient Note), cut into 1-inch pieces, stems and florets separated
    1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation
    1.Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion and celery soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potato and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, dry mustard and cayenne; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.

2.Add broth and broccoli stems; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in florets; simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes more. Transfer 2 cups of the chowder to a bowl and mash; return to the pan.

3.Stir in Cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.

Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
    Ingredient note: Most supermarkets sell broccoli crowns, which are the tops of the bunches, with the stalks cut off. Although crowns are more expensive than entire bunches, they are convenient and there is considerably less waste.

NutritionPer serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 508 mg sodium; 436 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv), Calcium (34% dv).

1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    :happy: I am soooo glad I found this thread!
    I love soups in the Fall and Winter and I love what I call "One Pot Meals" .
    I am so excited - I can't wait to try some of the soups I have found here. :happy:

~Strong Heart
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I always have the ingredients in the house , lentils are really cheap, good for you and filling! Plus this is so quick and easy to make!

Red Lentil & Tomato soup

100g Red Lentils
    1 large onion choppped
    1clove garlic crusshed
    1 vegatable stock cube
    1Carrot chopped
    1 can tomatoes

In a pan onoin crushed garlic and stock cube, enough water to cover them, and simmer

in a spearate pan place the lentils enough water to cover them, and simmer

When the lentils are cooked add to the first pan and blend add more water , seasoning as required.

Enjoy!

makes 3 servings 187 calories each! my whole family love this one .

Also

Butternut Squash Soup
    Serves: 6
    400ml water
    500g butternut squash
    1 onion
    1 carrot
    1 veggie stock cube
    1 clove garlic
    1 tsp olive oil
    tiny dash of cayenne pepper(optional)

Cut the squash in half length ways and remove the seeds and fleshy bit. Then bake in the oven for 40 mins.
    Once baked and cooled, just peel the skin off, it should come off no problem. Make sure you don't waste any fluids that have accumulated in the squash, pour them into the sauce pan.
    Fry the onion and garlic in the oil and any fluids from the squash until softened.
    Add the Stock and water as well as the chopped carrot.
    Cook for 20 mins and then chop the squash and add this. Also add the cayenne pepper at this point if you dare, but be careful you only need a tiny amount to make a huge difference.
    Cook for 10 mins more then remove from heat and blitz.

80 calories per serving, 1.8g F, 0.2g SF, 16.0g C, 3.7g S, 2.8g Fb, 1.8g

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Soup
    Edited by morganadk2 on Tue 11/16/10 09:38 AM
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just made this chili/soup yesterday!
    It is 393 calories a serving, a bowl full and makes about 6 servings. I forgot to get canned/jar items with low sodium, so don't forget that part :tongue: this is fiber power!

Emmy's Bean Chili (Crock Pot)

1 lb - 1 1/2 lb of lean ground beef (sometimes i use ground turkey)
    1 white onion (medium)
    2 cups of chopped celery
    2 garlic cloves
    1 teaspoon of pepper
    1 jar of spaghetti sauce (we like chunky mushroom ragu)
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 can of kidney beans
    1 can of pinto beans

saute onions and garlic. add meat/turkey and brown, season with pepper and/or salt. drain. add to crockpot. add all other ingredients. drain your beans. cook on low for 5-6 hours or high 3-4. great with a little cheese, maybe a little saltine crackers and peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread.

definitely a hearty meal that will stick with you. :flowerforyou:
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Bump!
  • lizzygrl1981
    Options
    Oh wow, so many great soup recipes!!!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmm.......bump bump
  • tmahfouza
    tmahfouza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Souper soup recipes!!
  • hjorden
    Options
    Here's my Chicken soup recipe. You can get all the veggies at the farmers market organically grown for cheap!

1 yellow onion(chopped)
    4 carrots(chopped)
    4 stalks celery(chopped)
    3 potatoes diced
    4 chicken breasts skinless, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    1 yellow squash, (chopped)
    2 portabello mushrooms(diced)
    3 sprigs fresh rosemary
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 sprig fresh oregano
    2 cups chicken broth

You're gonna need a BIG pot for this.

Sear the meat, add ingredients, cover with water and bring to boil, lower heat to simmer and cover till veggies and meat are cooked.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Southwestern Chicken soup

2 cups Chicken meat, chopped (white, dark or a combo)
    1 can whole Kernel Corn, with juice
    1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    1 16-ounce jar Salsa (as mild or as hot as you like it)
    2 cups Chicken Stock
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili powder (to taste - Optional)
    Water
    Sour Cream (optional)
    Shredded Con Queso Cheese (Mexican-style cheddar - Optional)
    Chopped, fresh Cilantro (optional)

In a large saucepan combine all ingredients. Heat to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. If soup is too thick, you may add some water OR more chicken broth to desired thickness. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes on low heat (should simmer) with lid on. Serve hot. This is very good & pretty with a dollop of sour cream in the center of each bowl and then sprinkle some shredded cheese around the outside and then sprinkle some fresh, chopped cilantro over the whole bowl.

I usually add more chicken. My husband and son eat it with tortillas and the cheese and sour cream. I usually have a low-carb tortilla with mine and skip the cheese and sour cream.

This sounds so good! I am making a big batch of it right now, it's a little high in sodium for me though. Going to try to water it down some to get more servings.
  • 2psnapod1
    Options
    Corn, Sausage, Pepper & Potato Chowder

2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    2 cans chicken broth
    1 pound red potatoes, cut into chunks
    1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 can cream style corn
    8 ounces kielbasa, halved and sliced
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup heavy cream

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion, garlic, and bell peppers in butter until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in broth, potatoes, pepper and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
    Place half the corn in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Stir pureed corn, remaining whole corn, kielbasa, milk and cream into soup. Simmer 20 minutes more.
  • 2psnapod1
    Options
    Garden Veggie Soup

4 – 32 oz chicken broth
    Great way to use up fresh veggies!
    1 – 15 oz tomato sauce
    1 stick butter
    ½ onion, diced
    ½ c celery, diced
    1 ½ c carrots, diced
    1 small zucchini, diced
    ¾ c cauliflower, chopped
    1 ½ c broccoli, chopped
    2 medium potatoes, diced
    2 c green beans, chopped
    2 ears of corn, removed from cob
    2 c small sea shell pasta

The remaining ingredients
    Couple pinches of salt
    Pepper, to taste
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

In a large pot, melt butter. Cook onions, celery and carrots until onions are translucent. Add chicken broth & remaining veggies (zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, green beans & corn) and stir well. Add salt, pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire & tomato sauce and stir well. Simmer on medium-low heat for approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Lastly, add pasta and continue to simmer about 15 minutes longer until pasta is al dente.

*This makes a LOT of soup (approximately 18 servings). Great to freeze for easy, quick future meals.

*This could easily be adapted to suit your tastes with or without any of the veggies I’ve used or those of your own choosing. I’ve used all fresh veggies but you could substitute frozen or canned, if needed. Also, you could add chicken or beef to make it an even hardier meal. To make it a ‘true’ vegetarian meal – use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.