Anybody doing The 21 Day Fix

Options

Replies

• IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I seriously don't understand how tupperware containers of different colors are magically going help people...? Color me confused :huh: Couldn't people just... use a food scale, and their own containers to hold food... eat at a deficit and meet their macro nutrients? Sounds like a load of bull crap to me... But good luck with it. Sorry you got suckered!

You obviously don't have a problem with weighing and measuring your food. And maybe perhaps you like boring Glad plastic containers.

Some people are just sick to death of counting calories, counting points, measuring food with ugly measure cups just to stick it in a boring Glad container to take to work, followed by more measuring and weighing when they get home at night to cook dinner. Some people just don't want to.

I've been weighing, measuring, counting, and calculating for as long as I can remember. I get sick of it. Sometimes I just want a break and something new to push me through the mundane.

So what if anyone wants to spend their money on a good workout program that is going to help them make good habits and eat right. And so what if the containers look like Tupperware (which by the way, isnt that cheap.)

Why is their choice hurting you exactly?

Sometimes we all need help and motivation. Beachbody provides those tools. Not everyone can just wake up one morning and bust through Insanity and eat clean.

Some people need a little help.

And those people who need help don't need people making them feel stupid for the choices they make.

How about some encouragement instead? I bet that would help them a lot more on their journey.
  • mransom1970
    mransom1970 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found the calculation on the beachbody website. Just cannot figure out the container portion.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I seriously don't understand how tupperware containers of different colors are magically going help people...? Color me confused :huh: Couldn't people just... use a food scale, and their own containers to hold food... eat at a deficit and meet their macro nutrients? Sounds like a load of bull crap to me... But good luck with it. Sorry you got suckered!

You obviously don't have a problem with weighing and measuring your food. And maybe perhaps you like boring Glad plastic containers.

Some people are just sick to death of counting calories, counting points, measuring food with ugly measure cups just to stick it in a boring Glad container to take to work, followed by more measuring and weighing when they get home at night to cook dinner. Some people just don't want to.

I've been weighing, measuring, counting, and calculating for as long as I can remember. I get sick of it. Sometimes I just want a break and something new to push me through the mundane.

So what if anyone wants to spend their money on a good workout program that is going to help them make good habits and eat right. And so what if the containers look like Tupperware (which by the way, isnt that cheap.)

Why is their choice hurting you exactly?

Sometimes we all need help and motivation. Beachbody provides those tools. Not everyone can just wake up one morning and bust through Insanity and eat clean.

Some people need a little help.

And those people who need help don't need people making them feel stupid for the choices they make.

How about some encouragement instead? I bet that would help them a lot more on their journey.
    \

This reminds me of a magazine article I recently read. When you invest money into something you feel like you NEED to get the results or you have thrown your money away. If everyone could just weigh/measure their food or have instinctive portion control, nobody would be overweight. However, what works for one person won't work for the next. I don't know anything about this plan but I do know I dont' like diets that only let you eat their food (nutrisystem) as I don't believe you benefit or weird cleanses where you aren't getting nutrition.

If colored tupperware helps you categorize and prioritize - GREAT! If the whole program is what you need - do it! Don't let anyone stop you. It's about putting the effot in and you can repeat the process numerous times.

The ONLY thing I've read that I don't like is when people are saying they are "too busy" to weigh/measure food. Yes, we are all busy. I, like many of you, am a full time employee, full time student, and a mother. I'm also studying for a credentialing exam on top of regular coursework. Fine. But, weighing my food adds approximately 5 minutes throughout the course of my entire day. You CAN make the time for it IF you wanted to. I'm by no means saying that you have to (i lost 100 pounds without measuring a dang thing) but do not ever use being busy as an excuse for your health. Do what works for you. Food scales may not be the thing for you. Sometimes I hate mine and want to smash it because I want to sit down and eat like my husbadn does. But I know it's a tool I need.

Please don't read that as me knocking anyone - just irked me a bit.

But again, do what works for you guys. I am too cheap to buy any thing like this at this point, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't in the future or would not be interested in it. Good luck! I really hope you find what works for YOU - because this process is about YOU - not anyone else!
  • jjo202
    jjo202 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was religiously counting and measuring for a while and developed pretty good habits, so have relaxed about it a bit and am keeping the weight relatively stable (with regular exercise, of course) without logging on here in a while.

But I saw the little tubs and thought, sure, I could see how that could make things a bit easier, especially since I always pack lunches to take with me for the day. So I came back on to see what folks have to say about it and hoping to find some specifics. What I don't understand, and hope someone can clarify, is the weight vs volume part of it.

For example, if I fill my nut container with whole almonds, that's going to be the same volume as if I fill it with almond slivers, but obviously I can pack a whole lot more almond slivers in there, making a huge difference in the weight, and thus the calories. I'm not saying I would do this intentionally to try to game the system or anything, it's just that if what I have on hand are almond slivers, that's what I'll put in the cup. Same issue, I imagine, with different proteins that have different densities - I feel like tofu, for example, is less dense than tuna, so the protein cup might have quite a bit of variation. Are there guidelines in the program for how to deal with these differences? I feel like these could add up to substantial variations in any given day...
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am going to be doing it! Starting tomorrow! Im a little nervous about it actually
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (Tomorrow is day 995 of my however-many-day MFP-method fix plan.

I'm not at all nervous about it.)
  • kbedward
    kbedward Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how many calories are burned in the workouts?? Thanks!
  • SophiaRose79
    Options
    I am currently doing the fix and am as well an independent BB coach. It's surely NOT a disappointment and the cost is far less than a years gym membership (and you have it all forever). The truth is that there are a lot people who go to the gym that do not know how to appropriately train their bodies. So to them a gym is a room with a bunch of random fitness equipment. For a lot of other people, the produce section doesn't really make sense and what or how much should they buy?

It's not just about losing all the weight you possibly can and getting fit within 21 days. It's about having a plan laid out for people who don't understand the right ways to eat or train their bodies so you're learning how to use the correct portion control, filling up on GOOD foods and GOOD carbs and treating yourself rather than guessing what types of foods your body needs or doesn't need. It's a system. It's a program. Programs aren't meant to take you from A-Z in 20 days or 30 days. It's about building a solid foundation for yourself with health & fitness. It's about doing the program for that specified amount of time, and continuing to do rounds of that program until your JOURNEY, your PROCESS with your goals is getting you and your body to the place you want. You make your food, you put what fits into the containers and then you take it out and put it on your plate. That's the purpose of training yourself to learn how much you should be eating so eventually you do not even need to utilize the containers. I assure you, it's A LOT of food. You just don't realize it at first because how many of us have spent any time putting our food in containers before we put it on our plate? It's widely used as a starter program. Then to move on to doing higher intensity programs like P90X or Insanity because it's naturally extremely difficult for most people to jump into those kind of workouts. BUT if you wanted to keep doing it, as you get stronger, you use heavier weights or add more resistance to a resistance band.

It's OK. When people don't educate themselves about something, it's understandable to go in with a negative opinion. There will always be doubters. EVERY program is not for EVERY person.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how many calories are burned in the workouts?? Thanks!

It will depend on YOUR height, weight age, fitness level and the intensity you work at...Best way to find out how much YOU burn is a heart rate monitor....
  • ln1015
    ln1015 Posts: 4
    Options
    If any of you want to join my challenge group it starts Monday April 14th! I will provide the grocery list, meal plans menus and workouts!
  • TamiBarnes66
    TamiBarnes66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have done many different types of diets or lifestyle plans. Mainly Weight Watchers, which I was able to lose 80 lbs in 10 months while on it. I have been doing MFP on/off for several years. I also have a food scale that I was using while on WW and MFP but frankly I am tired of calorie counting and counting points. I would like to be able to just put a food in a container and have it be that simple. I am not a BB coach but I have so many of their workouts because I like them. But this isn't for everyone. Just like different types of workouts aren't for everyone. I say do whatever works for you as long as it is healthy. I also have heard that with these food containers, people end up eating more healthy foods and that they feel full. I ordered this program March 10th and can't wait to start it! What I like about it is I can use the food containers with any workout program I want for as long as I want. It's just a tool, just like MFP and workout DVDs and gym memberships and food scales. I just wish it would get here already!!!
  • amnew4
    amnew4 Posts: 1
    Options
    The 21 Day Fix is actually meant to be a "jump start" if you will. It's for people just starting out, or wanting to learn more about portion control. After the 21 days, you will (hopefully) have a better understanding of portion sizes and choosing food groups more wisely.
  • suzruns2
    suzruns2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just a little "heads up"- search 21 day fix on Pinterest and they will give lots of good recipes and tell what each colored container's portion size. It will even tell you how many of each servings for your caloric intake/ body weight. I am on round 1, wk 3. I've lost 5 pounds so far but way more inches! I can see muscle tone in my legs starting to appear and my core feels more firm. I bought my set last month from a Beachbody coach (no I am not one). The exercises are 30 minutes plus short warm up. Each day has a different focus. The only equipment I need are my yoga mat and a few dumbells (1 light 5 lbs and 1 heavy 8 pounds). They offer adaptations to exercises to make them easier and challenging moves for those advanced fitness folks. The program was not very expensive and so worth the money! I collect Beachbody videos like most collect cookbooks. This program is my favorite because the moves are easy enough to catch on but still just challenging enough to give me an excellent workout in a minimum amount of time. There are NO rest days. This keeps me from getting lazy! There is a yoga workout at the end of the week as a recover. I used to teach yoga, and I am critical of most yoga classes. This one is fine... Sun salutes, balance moves, stretches, and a very short savasana at the end.
  • Mrsof1
    Mrsof1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just starting on day three with the 21 day fix. Looked over whelming at first, with the containers, so I was a little late starting, but started the food today and am loving it! The containers give you portion control-or helps you eat ENOUGH of the RIGHT foods which is vital and I always struggle with both those, so I am liking those containers! I got my 21 day fix kit when it first came out and thought the price was good, now that I have been doing the program, the price was definitely worth it!
  • ladylee529
    Options
    Scropioangel I agree with you. I've been working out for several years and with set backs from health issues have gained the weight back. Some people don't need the little colored coded containers but for some like me it will make it easier to get back on track and learn portion control. All things in moderation is true but if you can't get a handle on the moderation this means nothing. Thanks for the post.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Scropioangel I agree with you. I've been working out for several years and with set backs from health issues have gained the weight back. Some people don't need the little colored coded containers but for some like me it will make it easier to get back on track and learn portion control. All things in moderation is true but if you can't get a handle on the moderation this means nothing. Thanks for the post.

I'm confused...and I don't mean this to sound rude, but if you haven't found a method that has worked for you to reach goal and maintain long-term, how could you possibly know that this particular color-coded approach will "make it easier" and lead to success?

I understand you saying that you think it *might* be helpful, but your posts speaks with such conviction...when what you're working with is a theory.

Also, it's interesting to note how many in this thread have found their long-term success from using this approach vs those who have found it without the program (and not to be confused with those who just started and don't really know yet how effective it will actually be). (Yeah, I know, not exactly a random sampling...but can we at least agree that there *might* be something to this observation?)
  • megthompson920
    megthompson920 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for my shipment of 21 day fix to get here. I'm so very excited. I'm the type of person who use to count calories religiously, BUT I'm also an all or nothing person.. so if I'd go 100 calories over my limit, I'd say forget it and just binge. I can't wait to have a tool that shows me all of the correct portions for my body. Also having a set workout schedule helps me so much! That's what I love about all of the BB programs. They come with a great workout schedule, so I know exactly what I need to be doing. I'm super excited to try this and take all of the guesswork out of it all!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the 21 day fix lasts 21 days. Then what? You start over, learn to weigh your own food, join a gym, become a "coach" and sell it to someone else? It sounds like a pretty expensive way to lose weight. When I cut back on calories I SAVED money by buying less food. So, if you're a busy adult (like everyone else) you just keep buying this food program forever and never learn to schedule your own food prep/maintenance? I do not see how this is sustainable especially if you aren't single and have to buy/fix food for your family?
  • TinaFromEFC
    TinaFromEFC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most people take a break and do something else for a week or two then go back to the 21 Day Fix. For best results, users should continue the eating plan (portion control). I found the containers to be worrisome but helpful. I never packed my food in them, but I keep them on top of the refrigerator to remind me how big a serving actually is.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    buy a scale and weight EVERYTHING you put into your mouth if you are watching your calories those containers really are not a way to do it . I have the program info that i got of a site on line and it tells you what size the cups are and you can stuff them as full as you can with the lid still closing is what they say well this morning i did just that with a 1 cup container that i have at home and WOW if i would have eaten all the fruit that would fit in that containor i would be WAY over my fruit in take in just one meal.