Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines?

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    For.
    I've been a nurse for 25+ years and have seen the crippling effects of polio and other diseases that could have been prevented by vaccination.

Perhaps the greatest success story in public health is the reduction of infectious diseases resulting from the use of vaccines. Routine immunization has eradicated smallpox from the globe and led to the near elimination of wild polio virus. Vaccines have reduced some preventable infectious diseases to an all-time low, and now few people experience the devastating effects of measles, pertussis, and other illnesses. Prior to approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), vaccines are tested extensively by scientists to ensure they are effective and safe. Vaccines are the best defense we have against infectious diseases; however, no vaccine is 100% safe or effective. Differences in the way individual immune systems react to a vaccine account for rare occasions when people are not protected following immunization or when they experience side effects.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For; for *MY* kids.

Against for everyone else. There's too damn many people on the planet anyway.

:drinker: Cheers for another honest answer!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

This is basically how I feel too, though I don't have kids. I don't know if I have ever had the flu shot (I'm 30). Maybe as a kid and I just don't remember, but I don't get sick very often and I feel it's good to expose my immune system to things to build natural immunities. If I worked in a hospital I would do it for the sake of the patients (pretty sure it's required in that situation anyway). For sure I think the major ones you do as a kid though...polio and things like that...are important.

This doesn't make sense. By getting a vaccine you are exposing your immune system to "things" (an attenuated virus) to build natural immunity. I'm not saying the flu shot is extremely effective but it can provide some preventative measures. For the average over 10 year old and under 70 year old person who isn't around those age groups or people with immunodeficiencies or pregnant women getting a flu vaccine doesn't make a huge difference. So you're laid up in bed for a week, not a huge deal you won't die or anything. Also, the vaccine is predictive of the most common strain for the season, there will always be other flu viruses around you could contract or the virus you were vaccinated against could mutate enough to render your vaccine kind of useless. But there are not really any negative effects of the flu shot and getting a vaccine certainly isn't cheating the system or technically "unnatural". It's simply choosing what you expose your immune system to, when, and how much in an effort to increase its efficacy against fighting later infections.
    Possible complication from having the flu is Sepsis.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Against. Why? Because they are bullcrap! They almost never do anything.
    And this is why me, (and my 23 year old brother) are terrified of the Doctor because EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO, they give us a shot for no reason whatsoever. I don't care if I sound or act childish, I'm terrified of thin sharp needles that stick into my skin for no reason. It's stupid. They either love seeing me cry in pain, or give me a shot for what they say will help, but will really make me sick.

100% fail......they don't do anything?

How many kids have died from polio in the last 50 years? How many kids used to die every year (or end up in wheelchairs etc)

They're not "bullcrap", millions of lives have been saved but please, do the world a favour and don't procreate........:noway: :noway:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

This is basically how I feel too, though I don't have kids. I don't know if I have ever had the flu shot (I'm 30). Maybe as a kid and I just don't remember, but I don't get sick very often and I feel it's good to expose my immune system to things to build natural immunities. If I worked in a hospital I would do it for the sake of the patients (pretty sure it's required in that situation anyway). For sure I think the major ones you do as a kid though...polio and things like that...are important.

This doesn't make sense. By getting a vaccine you are exposing your immune system to "things" (an attenuated virus) to build natural immunity. I'm not saying the flu shot is extremely effective but it can provide some preventative measures. For the average over 10 year old and under 70 year old person who isn't around those age groups or people with immunodeficiencies or pregnant women getting a flu vaccine doesn't make a huge difference. So you're laid up in bed for a week, not a huge deal you won't die or anything. Also, the vaccine is predictive of the most common strain for the season, there will always be other flu viruses around you could contract or the virus you were vaccinated against could mutate enough to render your vaccine kind of useless. But there are not really any negative effects of the flu shot and getting a vaccine certainly isn't cheating the system or technically "unnatural". It's simply choosing what you expose your immune system to, when, and how much in an effort to increase its efficacy against fighting later infections.

WTF? Who the hell wants to be "laid up for a week" on purpose? For those of us who are the primary "bread-winners," a week off work is just shy of "end of the world" type of crap. No flu shot for me, thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Toothpaste is a product of the liberal media.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Childhood vaccines all the way. They are different than a flu shot too...
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The anti-vaccine movement is the most ridiculous thing ever. The bottom line is that you are more likely to have complications from an illness than from a vaccine. There has been a study that shows the outbreak of preventable illnesses (measles, mumps, polio, etc) since 2008 (as the current anti-vaccine movement becomes more popular).

Let's look at mumps in 2008:

2ypddzc.png

And mumps in 2013:

25ge4p4.png

Whooping cough has also recently become a huge problem in the United States because parents are afraid to get their children vaccinated.

It is up to you if you are willing to risk your child's wellbeing out of fear of autism or some other unproven or fraudulent correlation, but I for one would not put my child in that kind of danger.

(Images come from the Council of Foreign Relations - Google it to see other outbreaks of preventable illnesses)

*Edited to resize photos
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

WTF? Who the hell wants to be "laid up for a week" on purpose? For those of us who are the primary "bread-winners," a week off work is just shy of "end of the world" type of crap. No flu shot for me, thanks. :flowerforyou:

You misunderstood. They were saying that if you don't get the shot, and end up getting the flu, it's a week out. Not that big of a deal.... I think ;)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Toothpaste is a product of the liberal media.

I thought it was a by-product of nuclear weapons manufacturing ...
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Vaccines are like car insurance. They 'insure' you against getting sick, but they also are important for public health and protecting everyone else. People who don't get vaccines are like those people who drive without insurance and T-bone your car...their lack of responsibility can screw you.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    it's a big issue where i live.

Netherlands in biblebelt (that's what it's called) And the people of the very strict churches don't vaccinate their children.
    Last year we had an epidemic amongst the schools of those children and whole classes of 30 -40 children got sick.

They don't vaccinate because of (fear of) God and that it is against nature

A lot of them are hypocrites in my opinion since they do as they please all week, except for Sundays, then they pretend to be Christians...
    Well you certainly have spoken for them. Judge and Jury!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    When I had my kids I did HOURS and HOURS of research on vaccines. I am definitely pro for some of them (not all) but I also ordered them spaced out. I said no way to chicken pox vax, and HELL no on the Gardisil vax for my daughter. The US has the highest number of autoimmune diseases in the WORLD. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. We also do the most vaccinations, which many believe lead to auto-immune diseases. AND, when the CDC reported that "they can not conclusively claim that vaccines cause autism" was the same thing as saying that can't conclusively claim they DON'T. For me it's not just the autism issue (which I have three friends with autistic kids who ALL claim it happened after a vaccine), it's all of the other illnesses as well. I will tell you that my kids (12 & 8) rarely get sick, are very healthy, have no allergies and thankfully, no autoimmune diseases or intestinal issues (which we all know is the HEART of the immune system). There is no conclusive evidence for either side of the argument (as far as autoimmune / autism goes) so, I take the perspective that my health is my responsibility and I will decide for myself based on my own research.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes, vaccinate!

The crazy folks against it have been blessed enough to not have to worry about their children contracting polio and other horrible diseases. And the reason they don't have to worry about that is... um... VACCINES.

My grandma was crippled by polio. Awful.

I do allergy shots, too, which are similar. I think it's better for my body then taking medication every day during allergy season.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I vaccinated my children. They are now healthy teens and young adults.

ETA: Actually, I had a doctor do it. Some things are not DIY...
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    For. I would rather a child get stuck with a needle, cry for a few seconds, get a lolipop and leave with a bandaid than hear of a child who didn't get a proper vaccine go into school, infect a bunch of their classmates with something that could have been prevented and cause an epidemic that may lead to children dying because their stupid parents didn't vaccinate out of ignorance or utter stupidity. Lack of death is the better way to go IMO.

^^ this
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Exactly, if you don't get ill from a vaccination. You might have a sore arm and feel a bit rough for a day, but if you take time off other than from a reaction to it, then you pull yourself together and stop taking days off from having a bit of a sniffle.

You misunderstood. They were saying that if you don't get the shot, and end up getting the flu, it's a week out. Not that big of a deal.... I think ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

When it comes to the flu shot, it's the people who get the shot that wind up sick. Every. Time.

The flu shot is like gambling. It is not the same as the Polio vaccine, et al.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Either you're misinterpreting what I said or I just wasn't that clear. I meant it like this: "So if you don't get the flu shot, end up with the flu, and you're laid up in bed for a week which it or may not be a big deal to you." People don't get sick from the flu shot, they get sick from the flu itself (they may feel a few flu like symptoms for a few days after the shot but they don't get a full-fledged flu). So if you're choosing to NOT get the vaccine you ARE choosing to be laid up in bed for a week on purpose. Of course the vaccine efficacy is not 100% so you could still get the flu if you have the shot, but it is extra insurance against not getting the flu you didn't have before getting the shot.

edit: grammar
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a ward full of children in iron lungs is more to everyone's liking...

21nfp1v.jpg