Calling all sugar addicts!

Options
167891012»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe the reason you binge is because you deny it for days at a time and then freak out because you really want some. I looooove sugar. But I eat it reasonably most of the time and it helps stave off big binges.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    Maybe the reason you binge is because you deny it for days at a time and then freak out because you really want some. I looooove sugar. But I eat it reasonably most of the time and it helps stave off big binges.

For some people, eating a little sets off the binge. Abstaining is the only thing that seems to help me.

For my BF, it's pizza, I can stop at two squares and he has to consume the rest.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

You really should question the integrity of a book. Many of them cherry pick studies to sell a product. Fructose is converted to glucose by the liver. HFCS is ~ 55% fructose and 45% glucose and follows the same products. Regardless of the macronutrient, the basic laws of thermodynamics apply. I eat 3-5 helps of fruit daily, so if what you said was true, I would be obese. Calories in vs out is the only thing that determines weight loss..

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

HFCS - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20471804

This was on the internet, so it must be true. Eating fruit doesn't make you fat, unless you eat a ton of overripe fruit. Do you do that? In addition to your 3-5 helpings, do you follow them with oreo's and chocolate milk? Probably not. I've read that bears gorge on fruit to get fat before hibernating, as do other mammals that go without food for long periods, like over winters. Maybe you should question your Alan's Blog sources as well. From what I've read, an OVERABUNDANCE of fructose and glucose is stored as fat in the blood. Sugar turns to glucose turns to fat if you eat too much of it. Having your "i'm full" switch turned off allows you to eat more before getting stuffed, therefore more calories, more fat. Pretty simple when you break it down. It's a vicious cycle. You don't have to believe, but perhaps read up a little more.

"Fructose, on the other hand, is processed in the liver. To greatly simplify the situation: When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it all fast enough for the body to use as sugar. Instead, it starts making fats from the fructose and sending them off into the bloodstream as triglycerides. " Boom, not good.

What are you defining as a creditable resource? I, as well as others, have posted many studies/abstracts of studies from the National Institute of Health. In fact, i will post them below in case they got mixed up in the thread or you missed them. Personally, one of the best ones is the second one, imo.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20056521
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20471804

To address the over abundance discussion: Scientist or studies would have to define what they mean by over abundance. IIRC, the amount of fructose required to be a over abundance is something like 60-80% of your intake in pure fructose (I could be quoting wrong so if you have a definition, please correct me), which is not logical in ones diet.

Realistically, the over abundance of any macronutrient or micronutrient that cases an excess of calories will be stored as fat. Basic laws of thermodynamics states that. But keep in mind, when we have to discussions, we have to think in moderation. No person is going to have a diet that is just type of nutrient or that. There will be a balance.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So how is treating sugar as an addictive substance working out for you?

This wasn't addressed to me, but as someone that often refers to myself as a former sugar addict, I'm answering anyway. It worked well for me. I gave up sugar for several months many years ago. Not all carbs or all foods that eventually break down into glucose. Sugar. Sweets. Desserts. Candy, cake, pie, soda, juice, etc.

After a few months I allowed myself to sugary treats once in a while. I found by breaking what I refered to as my addiction (without giving a ****e about whether my word usage was correct) I could eat sweets without wanting to eat every sweet within a 50 mile radius.

But, every now and then, I find I need to rein it in again. So, I do.

You do recognize then that it's not a physical addiction so much as a propensity to like sweets? Maybe even a binge eating disorder? That's really all anyone here is saying unless I'm severely misinterpreting. If you want to call it an "addiction" tongue and cheek, cool, I think we all get it. Some of the sugar addiction claims here though are really ludicrous.

No doubt. Every long forum thread is full of some nonsense. According to dictionary.com:

ad·dic·tion [uh-dik-shuhn] Show IPA
    noun
    the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

I'm not convinced that sugar doesn't fit that description for many. But even if it doesn't technically meet the definition, so what? Even if you convinced them it didn't, so what? What would it change or prove?

The solution to physical addictions has been to completely and permanently cease consuming or using the addictive substance. You yourself mention above that this is not the case for you with sugar. My point is simply that the treatment/solution is different. It's also better for the individual, as hey you get to have a treat once in a while. That, and simple intellectually curiosity and honesty.

The definition of addiction is not limited to physical, but yes, the treatment for all addictions is not the same, be they physical or psychological. Complete abstinence is not always necessary for a physical addiction.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    This is a hard thing to "prove", however I notice a lot of bogus dismissals in the thread like "its on a rodent" as if that makes it not "count". Nope, they are biochemically similar, and there are two reasons why many of these are done on rodents: it is exponentially cheaper, and many times it is extremely difficult to get humans into controlled conditions. How easy is it to completely monitor a human's diet for even just a week? You pretty much have to room and board them with supervision, tests cost more too... studying a significant population of diet restricted humans is 1000x- maybe even 100,000x more expensive at least, depending on what you are doing, than having a few cages of rodents attended by one grad student in a lab that already exists, think about this just a bit. If you don't have a drug to sell or some benefit that would be gained by the study being completed, how can you pay for this? Just a TINY dose of sense here.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There are a also a lot of differences, especially when discussing areas which can be affected by a sentient mind.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Not sure what you are trying to say, either rats aren't sentient or that you think rats brains are constructed and function so differently the studies are invalid? Its pointless to argue this, if the scientific consensus did not support studies on rodents to investigate parallels in humans then they wouldn't be done. Nobody said what stimulated a rat brain and stimulates human brains has exactly the same resultant signature, however the biochemical processes are very similar, and the formation of the brain is very similar, in fact if you look into the embryology you will learn that the development of the human brain starts with more "simple" areas like other organisms, and builds, rats have very much similar structures, though the sizes and placements may differ. The more complex recently evolved centers involving inhibition and inhibition of inhibition, the size of the cortex, and the distribution of functionality such as the highly visual cortex we have vs the highly tactile processing brain of a rat are more striking differences...but these cells and brain structures all still function on the same principles, the size, emphasis and processing function essentially are what is importantly different: that rats are stimulated and process more in their large sensorimotor cortex from brushing a whisker, similarly as much as we are stimulated with strong visual stimuli, this processing center is around 40% of our brains. However, we both have the same type of mechanism for taste and the reward systems for that consumption. So, if you are to study tactile stimulation of the face, visual response or reactions to certain smells, it could be pretty dissimilar in the amount and strength and detail of reaction (not processes), but taste and reward systems, the two are very similar.
  • To answer your question, I'll share what I found has been helping me in this last 2 weeks when I finally decided I need to start cutting back significantly on treats.
    I realized it's never going to get easier, so I finally decided I need to start NOW vs. waiting until I'm even heavier, and then still struggling with the same issue.
    Keep in mind I'm not trying to do anything extreme, such as cutting out ALL treats, or sugar, etc.). I'm just trying to cut BACK.

I started to notice a connection between cravings and thirst, so when I get a craving now, before giving in, I immediately drink about 2 glasses of refreshing cold water.

I also have noticed cravings tend to happen very quickly after I eat a highly salted meal, such as a frozen packaged meal, or Chinese food, for example.
    I don't particularly like that strong lingering salty taste, and I think that's why I found eating a sweet treat such as MM's or a Hershey bar so desirable after a salty meal, I'm assuming it took away some of that strong uncomfortable feeling of thirst and saltiness that I would feel.
    I find it very important to avoid very salty meals if I can, or be sure to brush my teeth and drink water. The brushing my teeth is also a good step in removing some of that salty taste in my mouth that I find so offensive.

Maybe these tips will work for you, just last night I was getting so tempted for a treat (mint flavored MM's) that I convinced my husband to go get me some, but before he did, I brushed and drank some cold water, and not long after the craving went away, so I told him never mind.
    That saved me tons of calories because I was also tempted to have him get me a pint of ice-cream as well. That would have been horrible (calorie wise), MM's AND ice-cream, when 0 calorie water ended up being what I needed.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Prefer sugary stuff to anything.

Especially chocolate and cookies n cream thinks. Pumpkin and sweet potatoes!

I did a week no sugar and remember losing weight a whole back. The cravings got less intense but were still there
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are trying to say, either rats aren't sentient or that you think rats brains are constructed and function so differently the studies are invalid? Its pointless to argue this, if the scientific consensus did not support studies on rodents to investigate parallels in humans then they wouldn't be done. Nobody said what stimulated a rat brain and stimulates human brains has exactly the same resultant signature, however the biochemical processes are very similar, and the formation of the brain is very similar, in fact if you look into the embryology you will learn that the development of the human brain starts with more "simple" areas like other organisms, and builds, rats have very much similar structures, though the sizes and placements may differ. The more complex recently evolved centers involving inhibition and inhibition of inhibition, the size of the cortex, and the distribution of functionality such as the highly visual cortex we have vs the highly tactile processing brain of a rat are more striking differences...but these cells and brain structures all still function on the same principles, the size, emphasis and processing function essentially are what is importantly different: that rats are stimulated and process more in their large sensorimotor cortex from brushing a whisker, similarly as much as we are stimulated with strong visual stimuli, this processing center is around 40% of our brains. However, we both have the same type of mechanism for taste and the reward systems for that consumption. So, if you are to study tactile stimulation of the face, visual response or reactions to certain smells, it could be pretty dissimilar in the amount and strength and detail of reaction (not processes), but taste and reward systems, the two are very similar.
    Thanks, that was informative. The problem I have with relying on mouse models et al is 2 fold. 1) Mouse modes are bred or genetically modified into hundreds of different strains to represent and enhance disease susceptibilities with each rodent representing a single human, hopefully you see the shortcoming of a single subject as a representaive of a whole population. 2) dosage and context is generally a low priority considering we wouldn't need rodent studies for normal consumption because we already have hundreds of human trials that show those associations and results already. Desired outcomes are established with dosage and circumstances that best represent those results. If that dosage is outside the normal range for consumption of a studied demographic (and I suspect that demo to be the highest consumers) then what conclusionn can we draw upon..........that high doses of sugar can effect metabolic processes deleteriously.......
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    So have they put humans in a maze and had them find the cheese by sense of smell?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    So have they put humans in a maze and had them find the cheese by sense of smell?
    Only at night in power outages..........lots of bumps and confusion........my dog doesn't seem to have that problem though.:bigsmile:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I'm not even touching this one.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Unlike a heroin addict who would risk using a dirty needle or a cocaine addict who would snort spilled cocaine of a urine infested floor, I truly doubt any sugar addict here would eat any sugar laden product after abstaining from it for however many days, if I sprinkled poo on it. If you could, then maybe you are a sugar "addict".
    Physiologically we use glucose for energy, so we're never "abstaining" from it anyway. Psychologically people adhere to habitual behavior until it's changed. Habitually "needing" sugar will keep people wanting it. IMO it's really not an addiction since you really can't moderate addiction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's an interesting argument. But are you really sure no one would eat the chocolate with poo sprinkles if there were not other chocolate available? A cocaine addict that could simply walk to the nearest 7-Eleven and get clean coke wouldn't likely take your poo sprinkles cocaine.

But what if chocolate were illegal and the only chocolate or sweet treat of any kind was your chocolate with poo sprinkles. Are you positive no one would take it?
    Hey, who knows. I've seen people do some stupid **** for kicks. Again, I don't liken sugar "addiction" to that of cocaine, heroin, gambling, etc. I don't see people who have to abstain from it, then get a massive craving and would hike 5 miles for it to get a fix. But again, who knows?

IDEA Fitness member

I would definitely hike 5 miles for chocolate. I have walked just over 2 miles for it before and have ridden my bike 6 miles to get it when there was none in the house.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Unlike a heroin addict who would risk using a dirty needle or a cocaine addict who would snort spilled cocaine of a urine infested floor, I truly doubt any sugar addict here would eat any sugar laden product after abstaining from it for however many days, if I sprinkled poo on it. If you could, then maybe you are a sugar "addict".
    Physiologically we use glucose for energy, so we're never "abstaining" from it anyway. Psychologically people adhere to habitual behavior until it's changed. Habitually "needing" sugar will keep people wanting it. IMO it's really not an addiction since you really can't moderate addiction.

IDEA Fitness member

That's an interesting argument. But are you really sure no one would eat the chocolate with poo sprinkles if there were not other chocolate available? A cocaine addict that could simply walk to the nearest 7-Eleven and get clean coke wouldn't likely take your poo sprinkles cocaine.

But what if chocolate were illegal and the only chocolate or sweet treat of any kind was your chocolate with poo sprinkles. Are you positive no one would take it?
    Hey, who knows. I've seen people do some stupid **** for kicks. Again, I don't liken sugar "addiction" to that of cocaine, heroin, gambling, etc. I don't see people who have to abstain from it, then get a massive craving and would hike 5 miles for it to get a fix. But again, who knows?

IDEA Fitness member

I would definitely hike 5 miles for chocolate. I have walked just over 2 miles for it before and have ridden my bike 6 miles to get it when there was none in the house.
    Lol, then doing that, you earned the right to eat it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    So how is treating sugar as an addictive substance working out for you?

This wasn't addressed to me, but as someone that often refers to myself as a former sugar addict, I'm answering anyway. It worked well for me. I gave up sugar for several months many years ago. Not all carbs or all foods that eventually break down into glucose. Sugar. Sweets. Desserts. Candy, cake, pie, soda, juice, etc.

After a few months I allowed myself to sugary treats once in a while. I found by breaking what I refered to as my addiction (without giving a ****e about whether my word usage was correct) I could eat sweets without wanting to eat every sweet within a 50 mile radius.

But, every now and then, I find I need to rein it in again. So, I do.

I know EXACTLY what you mean,, and I also did this, started my diet middle of February and lost 10 (or 11?) pounds. Giving up that stuff and eating instead more protein and fruit which I love - has kept my appetite lower, and I dont have those cravings like i used to when i ate whatever donuts, pastry, muffins, etc that I wanted and only wanted more and more and more. I know how you feel, thats the way it is working for me too. PLUS my knees are hardly painful… i read something about sugar that is inflammatory to painful joints.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, I quit on 7-29-13, just started my 8th month off sugar and artificial sweetners.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Highly refined carbohydrate (most junk food) can give a 'rush' like effect .
    People who are depressed do feel a lift in mood.
    Seeking out a 'sugar hit' is a bit like looking for an alcoholic drink, when stressed or looking for a reward.

I stopped eating highly refined carbohydrate in September last year. I now have the odd bit occasionally - it doesn't grab me like it used to. I don't allow much of it into my diet.

I have found nutrition has helped me, I eat better and don't crave that garbage anymore.