Planet Fitness: Judge-Free zone?

Options

Replies

• BahamaMama77
    BahamaMama77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Does the lunk alarm actually work? I thought it was just there for show. I've never actually seen it light up or ever heard any sirens.

Yep, scared the crap out of me once.
  • johnjb20
    johnjb20 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm pretty sure those jerks hit the horn on me today lol.. i haven't squatted heavy in a long time so i decided to push it a little. i put 365lbs up and did about 5 reps. on my 2nd set i heard some stupid horn go off i had no idea what it was. psssh i didn't care just kept on squatting.. apparently you shouldn't squat more then 250lbs or you might be considered a muscle head, even though i weight 160lbs and I'm 5'9.. smh
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I judge the people who go there. :laugh:
  • johnjb20
    johnjb20 Posts: 29
    Options
    lol i try not to
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The business model of Planet Fitness is to sell ultra-low priced gym memberships to people who are not likely to be frequent patrons. That's the only way they can make it work, financially. They try to keep the dedicated exercisers out by canceling the memberships of the "lunks".
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I actually love my Planet Fitness.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    There are HUNDREDS of threads on this...
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options

Why?>
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    There are HUNDREDS of threads on this...
    this one is old...least someone searched
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :angry:

i go there.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Why?>

Because it's not really a gym?

Because it's business model is predatory and exploitative?

Because it's ad campaigns are literally hateful and openly hypocritical?

In short because it's run by insufferable *kitten* and by becoming a member you are supporting them.

It's not exactly a felony or a sin. But if you have other options make use of them. If not expect to be judged. Just a bit.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is good enough for me.
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options

Why?>

In short because it's run by insufferable *kitten* and by becoming a member you are supporting them.

It's not exactly a felony or a sin. But if you have other options make use of them. If not expect to be judged. Just a bit.

lol
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    :angry:

i go there.

Me too. And I've never seen any of the things people complain about, except the lunk alarm on the wall, and the advertising. Most of the guys in the weight room are pretty big, and I'm sure I now know what a guy bench pressing in the Smith machine sounds like when he's having sex, but the alarm didn't go off. I've been there almost every weekday, and I've never heard it. Also, the trainer said he would never tell me not to deadlift. Maybe it just depends on which one you go to, but as reluctant as I was to tell people that's where I went in the beginning, I'm not anymore.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Why?>

Do you even go to a gym? The *kitten* that run my Planet Fitness are really good people..
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    meh... they're just trying to make a buck.

people get so outraged so easily about things these days. it's kinda silly. nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head and making them go to planet fitness. if you don't like it, fine. find another gym. that's the whole point of free markets... you can vote with your wallet.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness: Judge-Free zone?

RrZfw9e.gif
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    meh... they're just trying to make a buck.

people get so outraged so easily about things these days. it's kinda silly. nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head and making them go to planet fitness. if you don't like it, fine. find another gym. that's the whole point of free markets... you can vote with your wallet.

Hey, you. Your logic is hanging out. You might want to tuck that back in before someone sees it.
  • Rogue_228
    Rogue_228 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and I enjoy it there. There are some people that are in a lot better shape than me. I have actually asked a few of them questions to help me. They were all very nice. None of them however have ever made noices or comments that I would feel uncomfortable about. I have been to 4 locations in my area and I now know which ones are the most crowded during certain times of the day.

The main thing that annoys me is that they play their commercials on their TV's in the gym. We are already members we don't need to keep seeing the commericals. Also in the commercials they sound off the lunk alarm.

I personally have never heard the lunk alarm go off while I have been there, but I have only been a member for 3 months in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Why do I judge those that go there? I've been a few times to the ones in my area. (Field trip of sorts) And I guess if you're totally new to fitness, it's a foot in the door. But the ones around here have people working that do not care, nor know a thing about fitness. They are dangerous, when instructing people incorrectly how to use a machine. They don't carry heavy weights. They are getting rid of squat racks.

When I see people in a PF, I think they are not serious about fitness. When you're going to a gym that has pizza night, candy on the front desk, bagels for snacks, there's a fundamental disconnect in getting and staying healthy.

I'd love to see some real stats about PF members. For example:
    1. How many who join are still regularly attending one year later
    2. How many who join have reached any fitness goals
    3. How many who join can do any weights, vs. cardio
    4. How many who join are training for anything specific

And compare those stats to other gyms that aren't in the same category.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Of course some who go to PF will be successful. But frankly, PF does not want you to succeed. They want you to stay fat, but pay just enough that you don't care about spending that money each month, so you don't cancel your membership.