if you could go back...

Options
california_haley
california_haley Posts: 220 Member
To your childhood and give your parents one thing of advice on raising you what would it be?

I would tell my dad that money isn't how you raise child, love is.
And I would tell my mom, you shouldn't have kid you don't really want.

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    To not be such a mean beyatch because I will leave regardless.
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    not to yell and call names, everything else was great
  • JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I would thank them for what they have done for me and keeping me on the right path. I would want to thank them sooner than when I had.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I would thank them for what they have done for me and keeping me on the right path. I would want to thank them sooner than when I had.

Wow well said!
    Before I had my son I would've had a list, but now I get it, so pretty much what Jeffery said!
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Please give me a sense of accomplishment, not a sense of disappointment in my lack of accomplishment. Be more supportive of my search for myself and my creativity.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Nothing, I realize now as a mom how hard a job it is! My parents did everything they did for their kids. I can only hope my kids look back and say the same thing about me :cry:
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I had great parents who I appreciate and respect regardless of some mistakes that were made. Lord knows we are not perfect.

My mom did tell me the other day though if she could do it over she would have coddled me more to make me less tough. She wishes she would have allowed me to feel things a little more vs moving on and putting it behind me so quickly.
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    I'm sticking to what I said.
    A child should not have to be the adult when they are 12.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the absolutely perfect childhood. I think I would have told my mom to take some more time for herself though. A babysitter every now and then would not have been a bad idea. And that I can only hope that my daughter has as happy and perfect of a childhood as my parents gave me.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    One day you will be the reason that I try to be a better mom. So don't change anything. Your horrible parenting kept me a fighter. Oh and the Nigerian prince scam, is totally legit, invest more into it.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    To my Mom: Don't treat Dad like ****. We're not stupid, even though we were young. We remember everything you did.

And, that is why to this day my Mom and I have a fragile relationship.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Buy me stock in Apple.
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    One day you will be the reason that I try to be a better mom. So don't change anything. Your horrible parenting kept me a fighter.
    I'm with you.
    Yes.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I would thank them because they did a hell of a job, but I'd also tell them not to sling mud at each other in front of my sister and me.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I would tell my mom to move our family back to Germany instead of to Texas.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Please teach me about proper nutrition and exercise!
    Only now, at 23 years of age, am I discovering the healthy body beneath.

Seriously, I have back dimples! Who knew?!
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sperm Donor: Your absence in my life will play a significant part in my self esteem, and how I view men...so yeah, having a father is pretty important you azzwipe...be a father.

Mom: Your cruel comments and your lack of attentiveness to me will leave me feeling worthless, lonely, very depressed and suicidal at a young age. I need you to encourage me, love me, and tell me you love me...even if it isn't true.
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    One day you will be the reason that I try to be a better mom. So don't change anything. Your horrible parenting kept me a fighter.
    I'm with you.
    Yes.

^^same here
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I would tell my Dad we would have rathered have him around to do stuff with us rather than working all the time because he thought that's what single Dad's do...

I would tell my Mom that it's ok to choose your kids over the myriad of men that went thru the revolving door that was her life....
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Nothing serious. I always joke with my parents about wanting them to raise my kids, because I was such an easy [aka boring & good] kid & I hope mine are the same!

Maybe I'd ask them to please put me in some dance classes or let me join a sports team earlier. I feel like I missed out on a lot of experiences because I didn't join a sports team [softball] until I was like 12. By then most of the girls had been playing most of their lives & had already been on club teams. Looking back, I think I was actually a pretty good player & probably would have been fine, but at 12/13 totally couldn't get over the feeling of not being good enough, so I quit before high school.

At least I had marching band! Joined in 5th grade & stayed in through college.