Large amounts of meat, cheese deadly as smoking

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's why restaurants have them as sides - have you read the article. It's not talking about not eating plants!!!!
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The fact that you sourced fox news....*shame*
    jk
    But really, that study has been out for a while now. There is research to back it up as well as magazine articles to debunk it.

It is a proven fact that charring, grilling, whatever methods you want to use to blacken your meat, has cancer causing/accelerating agents in it. Combusting wood, gas, or charcoal emits chemicals known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Exposure has been shown to cause cancer.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well no poop, Sherlock. Everybody that knows anything about proper diet knows that humans are supposed to eat plants.
    Solid argument there Watson. Your assertion doesn't make it true even if it was correct, which it isn't.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    The fact that you sourced fox news....*shame*
    jk
    But really, that study has been out for a while now. There is research to back it up as well as magazine articles to debunk it.

It is a proven fact that charring, grilling, whatever methods you want to use to blacken your meat, has cancer causing/accelerating agents in it. Combusting wood, gas, or charcoal emits chemicals known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Exposure has been shown to cause cancer.

Agreed fast cooking and charring does change the properties - however you can negate these affects by also what you eat (that's why god created red wine - mmmmm is there anything red wine can't do).

The best method is to avoid cooking your food in a certain way (that doesn't mean you have to throw the BBQ away though).

Just being aware is enough - that being said protein is NOT the cause.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but we are all going to die...

And personally, I know that the only way I can lose weight and control my type 2 diabetes is by eating more protein and reducing my carbs. I know the long term effects of carrying 100+ extra pounds and having diabetes. Both make my life less fun while I'm living it. I'd rather eat the extra protein and live a little shorter life (maybe) than have a long miserable life.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    this is the only "nourishment" we will be allowed in the future
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Isn't that the stuff he was drinking on Fat,sick and nearly dead?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

And personally, I know that the only way I can lose weight and control my type 2 diabetes is by eating more protein and reducing my carbs. I know the long term effects of carrying 100+ extra pounds and having diabetes. Both make my life less fun while I'm living it. I'd rather eat the extra protein and live a little shorter life (maybe) than have a long miserable life.
    What i told you that eating what you are calling "Protein" (euphemism for meat, dairy, eggs) is actually contributing to your diabetes, lowering your quality of life and reducing your longevity, plus increasing your risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease?

Controlling your diabeetus is one thing, but why not try to reverse it? Google the work of Dr. Neal Barnard, founder of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM). There have been many, many people who have reversed their diabetes by eating a proper diet.
  • FredDoyle
    Options

What i told you that eating what you are calling "Protein" (euphemism for meat, dairy, eggs) is actually contributing to your diabetes, lowering your quality of life and reducing your longevity, plus increasing your risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease?

Controlling your diabeetus is one thing, but why not try to reverse it? Google the work of Dr. Neal Barnard, founder of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM). There have been many, many people who have reversed their diabetes by eating a proper diet.
    What if I told you that eating unicorn eggs would make you sparkle and live forever?
    PCRM...lulz
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    My great grandparents and grandparents all ate tons of meat, cheese, alcohol, processed grains and all lived to be over 90, never overweight, no beetus............I guess we have special greek god-like genetics
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    My great grandparents and grandparents all ate tons of meat, cheese, alcohol, processed grains and all lived to be over 90, never overweight, no beetus............I guess we have special greek god-like genetics
    Yes, all four of my grandparents lived to between 98-104. They ate meat, grains, dairy, and gasp, vegetables and drank alcohol.
    My guess is it's mostly genetic. I eat the same way they do, the way I was raised and I'm a healthy 52 so far.
    FYI, the PCRM quoted above is a PETA shill organization.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    The best thing to take from this is not to listen to how studies are presented by the media in general. They want a headline, not the truth. They want to gain viewers, not educate the ones they have.

Then, go learn how to actually READ a real study and take it apart. At that point, you are ready to actually educate yourself as to what these things say.

And ignore the guy who likes to push his "OMG plants only" agenda. He has never been able to actually support an argument without resorting to bad studies and rhetoric.
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The study was conducted by the University of Southern California and published in the Journal of Cell Metabolism Fox News just reported it. Any peer reviewed study has established controls to remove any other correlating behavior from outcomes. That's the primary concern of any scientist attempting to establish a causal relationship.
    If you don't like the study outcomes, just admit that. It sounds silly to question these basic practices of well-educated researchers.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

The only ones who put any merit to this "report" are those that have already touted their plant eating ways and hatred of meat products...so this and all the other posters who agree with the study it's because it backs up your beliefs.

And yes those who don't agree are those that have professed love of meat and wont agree with this "report" because it counters our beliefs...

But that being said...

If this "study" was even remotely true this is what I would say....

I can committ slow suicide by eating meat (or smoking) or fat homicide by anyone who tries to take it from me...anyone wanna give it a go....???

I didn't think so.

ETA:to this responder who is touting his meat hating ways what about those of us who don't have diabetes, or High blood pressure or high cholesterol or any health problems at all that eat lots of protien????

My grand-parents and Great-grand parents have all lived way past their 90s...some into their hundreds...I expect the same and they ate lots of meat/protien. No history of heart attack or strokes etc.

Often times Type 2 Diabetes goes away when one loses weight which we all know comes from a calorie deficet...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I don't know how to break it to you but studies have shown that being a vegetarian can lead to an increase in mental health issues.!!!!!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/#!po=0.270270

Don't put too much stock into studies - everyone has there angle - especially corporations such as L-Nutra pedaling their plant based diet miracles!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

My favorite post I've seen on this topic over the past couple of days is:

“just because we observe singing in the bath, it does not mean that being in the bath causes singing any more than singing causes being in the bath.”
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

My favorite post I've seen on this topic over the past couple of days is:

“just because we observe singing in the bath, it does not mean that being in the bath causes singing any more than singing causes being in the bath.”

:laugh: