Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines?

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Against. Why? Because they are bullcrap! They almost never do anything.
    And this is why me, (and my 23 year old brother) are terrified of the Doctor because EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO, they give us a shot for no reason whatsoever. I don't care if I sound or act childish, I'm terrified of thin sharp needles that stick into my skin for no reason. It's stupid. They either love seeing me cry in pain, or give me a shot for what they say will help, but will really make me sick.
    You fear needles, and want tattoos...rigghhhhhhttttttttt...:huh:

:flowerforyou: Good catch!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Regarding flu vaccines, has anyone else contracted a nasty flu soon after getting the shot? My daughter and I got the shot together about 10 years ago and were both horribly sick. Some years later I heard something on the radio about live virus being in a particular batch administered in our area but I wouldn't be surprised if they had been talking about Laiv (pronounced like live) immunizations. Perhaps we contracted it independently and our immune systems were overwhelmed, or perhaps it was pure coincidence. But I haven't been able to bring myself to get vaccinated again after that experience.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    Regarding flu vaccines, has anyone else contracted a nasty flu soon after getting the shot? My daughter and I got the shot together about 10 years ago and were both horribly sick. Some years later I heard something on the radio about live virus being in a particular batch administered in our area but I wouldn't be surprised if they had been talking about Laiv (pronounced like live) immunizations. Perhaps we contracted it independently and our immune systems were overwhelmed, or perhaps it was pure coincidence. But I haven't been able to bring myself to get vaccinated again after that experience.

I haven't heard of Laiv vaccination - but the flu vaccine is not a live vaccine.

Either you had a side effect from the vaccine or, more likely, you were already incubating the flu before you got vaccinated.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Interesting how you invoke "collective rights" to deprive individuals of their right to make an informed choice about what they do or do not put into their bodies.

At one time, it was thought to be ideal to grow one's own food--perhaps that was when no one was trying to push the "collective rights" agenda. What has the fact that I don't make my own vaccines have to do with whether or not I choose to partake of them?

"Collective rights" do not exist. (The poster making that claim got the quote boxes all fouled up, so I only left this last part.) Any "collective" is composed of individuals, and all individuals in the group have the same rights. Collective groups can have privileges, but not rights. The idea that rights belong to groups, rather than in individuals, means that rights can belong to some people, but not to others. And if that were true, then it isn't a "right" at all, merely a "privilege."

In my experience, when people invoke the concept of "collective rights," it's usually because they want to initiate force against others. It is easily forgotten that the right of person to do as they will has the limitation of the inalienable right of others in society to do the same.

I quite agree. Wrapped up in the term "collective rights" is a whole lot of coercion--a trampling on the rights or person of the minority with the idea of some "loftier" goal being achieved. Every injustice in history can be traced to a privileged group believing that they have the absolute right to do so.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Interesting how you invoke "collective rights" to deprive individuals of their right to make an informed choice about what they do or do not put into their bodies.

At one time, it was thought to be ideal to grow one's own food--perhaps that was when no one was trying to push the "collective rights" agenda. What has the fact that I don't make my own vaccines have to do with whether or not I choose to partake of them?

"Collective rights" do not exist. (The poster making that claim got the quote boxes all fouled up, so I only left this last part.) Any "collective" is composed of individuals, and all individuals in the group have the same rights. Collective groups can have privileges, but not rights. The idea that rights belong to groups, rather than in individuals, means that rights can belong to some people, but not to others. And if that were true, then it isn't a "right" at all, merely a "privilege."

In my experience, when people invoke the concept of "collective rights," it's usually because they want to initiate force against others. It is easily forgotten that the right of person to do as they will has the limitation of the inalienable right of others in society to do the same.

I quite agree. Wrapped up in the term "collective rights" is a whole lot of coercion--a trampling on the rights or person of the minority with the idea of some "loftier" goal being achieved. Every injustice in history can be traced to a privileged group believing that they have the absolute right to do so.

Well, except that this discussion was about childhood vaccines, and children have a quite circumspect set of limited rights subject to the decsions of the collective, but also to their parents. Americans live in a society where education is both a right and a responsibility. School is a place that children, at least until they are old enough to have the rights of a full citizen (or old enough to have gotten mostly through school and convinced their parents) are required to attend. Granted, there are home schooled children, but that's a luxury most families do not enjoy.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    FOR!!!!