Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You know what you are right I should just do a group but excuse me for not knowing the site very well (i didnt know there were groups) and also for the fact that i thought this was a supportive site but from comments on here and my profile I see that making a forum is nothing but an issue and people get judgmental pretty quick.

This forum has become so unwelcoming I hope that other people who post don't get such an negative response ESPECIALLY their first few times.

I'm done with the thread I'm done with your comments. thank you for those SUPPORTIVE ones that gave advice like the whole point of a freaking forum is. To the other I'm sorry you are still so miserable with yourself that this is what your life has come to I would hate to see your facebook, twitter, instagram, or any other social site. i respect your opinion so respect mine and just go away please.

I really wish that there was a delete button for the darn forum.

and a HUGE thank you to anybody who reached out to me with advice in a PM, Means a lot!

I'm happy for anybody success but please people don't forget how hard it was to get started and show a little support instead of knocking somebody when they are down...

so basically everyone who agreed with you is "supportive" and anyone that disagreed was an "a-hole"....

Not at all my question was not DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A SUCH THING AS FOOD/SUGAR ADDICTION
    it was for tips to stop impulses, if you don't believe in that it exist how are you going to give me tips on how to cope? you cant.
    Calling it an addiction is slapping every crack head in the face who ever has to suck their way to the next hit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You know what you are right I should just do a group but excuse me for not knowing the site very well (i didnt know there were groups) and also for the fact that i thought this was a supportive site but from comments on here and my profile I see that making a forum is nothing but an issue and people get judgmental pretty quick.

This forum has become so unwelcoming I hope that other people who post don't get such an negative response ESPECIALLY their first few times.

I'm done with the thread I'm done with your comments. thank you for those SUPPORTIVE ones that gave advice like the whole point of a freaking forum is. To the other I'm sorry you are still so miserable with yourself that this is what your life has come to I would hate to see your facebook, twitter, instagram, or any other social site. i respect your opinion so respect mine and just go away please.

and a HUGE thank you to anybody who reached out to me with advice in a PM, Means a lot!

I'm happy for anybody success but please people don't forget how hard it was to get started and show a little support instead of knocking somebody when they are down...

so basically everyone who agreed with you is "supportive" and anyone that disagreed was an "a-hole"....

Not at all my question was not DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A SUCH THING AS FOOD/SUGAR ADDICTION
    it was for tips to stop impulses, if you don't believe in that it exist how are you going to give me tips on how to cope? you cant.
    I thought you were leaving..?
  • ndj1979
    Options

eat everything in moderation and stop labeling foods "bad" or "addictive"...

end thread/
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Calling it an addiction is slapping every crack head in the face who ever has to suck their way to the next hit.

And the poor crack heads have been slapped in the face with enough things already
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Self control and will power is what the crack head needs.
  • ndj1979
    Options

And the poor crack heads have been slapped in the face with enough things already

for real, that is why they do not have any teeth!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

DIfference being, crack is actually addictive.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

^this
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you've actually left for good, and are not drawn back to this bloodbath like a moth to a dumpster fire, so you will never see this post.

But, everyone who disagrees with you is not a bad person. They may be insensitive and they may not care about your feelings, or they may like seeing you get upset and flustered because they are immature trolls, but they may actually have some knowledge that will ultimately help you.

You're probably (giving you and Ms. TABLE SUGAR the benefit of the doubt) not addicted to sugar, or food. You're probably "addicted" to eating tasty, delicious and fattening foods - meaning you binge on it.

I am not a scientist or anything close, but I know for sure that there has never been ONE good argument that differentiates between naturally occurring sugars, and added sugars, from cane, or corn, or honey. Not one. The truth is that your body processes sugar the exact same way, no matter where it comes from. And I doubt you are addicted to bananas, or apples. Or even that you've ever lost your mind in a drug-addled stupor and poured table sugar down your throat directly from the package like a huge raccoon with thumbs.

Rather than cutting out refined sugars completely - but not the kind in Greek yoghurt with added fruits and jams, because that's totally good sugar - people are recommending that you try moderation, and self-control. You will one day be in an enclosed space with a donut, and if you don't have self-control you'll binge and have 10 donuts and feel really bad about yourself. A better approach would be to realize that the donut is not evil, and that if you can afford it calories-/macro-wise, you can fit it in and be alright. And your weight loss will be much more sustainable.
  • Hwaler
    Hwaler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suck on Jolly Ranchers, a few a day. They take longer to process, are sweet, and curb my sugar addiction.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

^this

+1
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    these threads always end up going absolutely no where....

I personally do not believe in sugar addiction.

Then get off here dude seriously if you have nothing positive to say just leave you are ridiculous. You're beliefs are you're beliefs and I respect that but honestly you look like an *kitten* if you have no advice just leave.

Dr. Peeke gives you advice and her method is to get your mind right eat right an exercise and to log everything you do and feel called mind, mouth, movement. So you would be wrong.

Why exercise? According to her, food eaten after will turn into belly fat cause you know cortisol
    Dr. Peeke has found that the extra calories consumed by the cortisol appetite trigger are converted to fat deposits that gravitate to one area of the body — the waistline. Fat deposits around the abdomen are associated with illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and cancer. That expanding waistline isn't just a vanity issue; it's a threat to your life!

To avoid gaining toxic pounds, Dr. Peeke advises that we keep cortisol below the appetite-stimulating threshold in our bodies

do you realize how stupid you look?

read the book not segments of **** online the entire book is about getting your eating under control the first chapter she talked about how finding new fun activities to do made her not have sweet cravings and keep it under control.
    you can post segments of the whatever but at the end of the day read the freaking book and you'll see the big picture she promotes watching your sugar intake not eliminating it but eliminating any processed foods at all. while finding enjoyable exercise so it doesn't cause your body stress but you have fun doing it.

Wow. Are you able to have a discussion without resorting to name calling?
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you've actually left for good, and are not drawn back to this bloodbath like a moth to a dumpster fire, so you will never see this post.

But, everyone who disagrees with you is not a bad person. They may be insensitive and they may not care about your feelings, or they may like seeing you get upset and flustered because they are immature trolls, but they may actually have some knowledge that will ultimately help you.

You're probably (giving you and Ms. TABLE SUGAR the benefit of the doubt) not addicted to sugar, or food. You're probably "addicted" to eating tasty, delicious and fattening foods - meaning you binge on it.

I am not a scientist or anything close, but I know for sure that there has never been ONE good argument that differentiates between naturally occurring sugars, and added sugars, from cane, or corn, or honey. Not one. The truth is that your body processes sugar the exact same way, no matter where it comes from. And I doubt you are addicted to bananas, or apples. Or even that you've ever lost your mind in a drug-addled stupor and poured table sugar down your throat directly from the package like a huge raccoon with thumbs.

Rather than cutting out refined sugars completely - but not the kind in Greek yoghurt with added fruits and jams, because that's totally good sugar - people are recommending that you try moderation, and self-control. You will one day be in an enclosed space with a donut, and if you don't have self-control you'll binge and have 10 donuts and feel really bad about yourself. A better approach would be to realize that the donut is not evil, and that if you can afford it calories-/macro-wise, you can fit it in and be alright. And your weight loss will be much more sustainable.

Awesome response, and I totally agree.

The people who have replied on this thread saying that sugar addiction isn't real and that it's all about self control are honestly trying to help. Yes, it's tough love, and sometimes people need that more than a "aw, sorry sweetie, you'll get through this!" The advice being offered by these "mean people" and "know-it-alls" is this: YOU have the power to stop overeating sweets.

You want to call it an addiction so that it's a problem that's out of your control, but you ARE in control. That's what this site is great for--accountability. If you eat a whole bag of M&Ms, you log it and you learn. And maybe next time you see M&Ms you only have a handful instead, because you know what that whole bag looks like on your food log, and it ain't pretty. Take control. Practice moderation. And if there are underlying emotional issues that are causing this behavior, treat them. With therapy. With exercise. With whatever it takes. Get it together, because the power to do so IS IN YOU. Give yourself some credit, you can overcome excuses and give yourself a healthier life.

To address this specific comment from someone a few pages ago:
    I think its very admirable that some people have been able to teach themselves self control and are now qualifed to to tell everyone else how to live... which begs the questions of why they need a site like this if they have their lives so together?

just keep in mind that not everyone is here with the same goals. Some are here to lose weight, some to gain, some just to track nutrition and exercise info, some to give or receive guidance from the forums. Some people have already been very successful and are trying to offer advice to others who are struggling. If we didn't have experienced veterans on here to give us some tough love every now and then, I think this site would be a giant cheerleading session of the blind leading the blind.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I think the whole "sugar addiction" thing is a bunch of baloney. They used to vilify fat, now it's sugar. People love having something to blame. The best advice I can give you is to just not have trigger foods in the house if you are prone to bingeing. But don't eliminate them completely or you'll go nuts. There's no reason to be super restrictive if you're staying under your calorie limit.

I can eat a whole box of sugary cereal and not feel full. Then search the house mindlessly for more sugar. I eat some fat, and I feel full, and stop. I myself am addicted to sugar.

Yeah, but have you had sex with a stranger for a box of Twinkies?

What would YOU do.........for a klondike bar?
    :laugh:
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    OP, not going to get into the whole addiction debate but if you really feel you can't stop once you start, choose not to have that first cookie or treat at all.

Just like with alcoholics or ex-smokers (if you really feel like you have an addiction) they have 100% control whether or not they have that first drag or drink & think about what that is going to lead to when trying to fight the urge to have it.

I don't believe I'm addicted to food in any way; however I do know that I really lack willpower so my key is not to have that first cookie, first chip, first slice of pizza or piece of cake because there's a good chance I won't stop there.

When debating whether or not to binge, think about all the reasons why you want to lose weight in the first place.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed addictive, and may be more addictive than cocaine. That's what new studies are beginning to show. It isn't your fault, it's tied directly into the reward centers in your brain. I'm not sure if others posted about that, because the comments were beginning to look trollish and I just wanted to reach out. I believe you. I have a problem with sugar too, to the extent that I really can't have it around at all. I recommend following something like the Whole 30 cleanse or something similar, with guidelines and grocery lists, so that you have a mission, something to stick to. It takes 2 weeks to really be free of the taste and urge to eat it. I promise you that if you do quit cold turkey and follow something like W30 that you can be free.

I've gone on and off the sugar wagon for years. I have dabbled with stevia (I avoid chemical fake sugars, they're perhaps linked with cancer and repro problems) and it worked well for me. I even made my own chocolate and ice cream with it. You can google lots of recipes with stevia. That certainly helped.

These days, I limit how much fruit is in the house, as that's too sweet for me; the only chocolate I buy is super dark, 85-88% because I just don't have the urge to eat a ton of it. I don't buy cookies or cakes, and I avoid eating a lot of grain because I find that it creates a downward spiral for me into sugar cravings. Stick with lots of protein, veggies, and LOTS of good fats like coconut oil which helps a TON. Good luck, it's a doozy of an addiction, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    <3
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Oh. This argument again.... :indifferent:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Practice makes perfect...so practice moderation and self control. No special snowflake methods needed.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    This discussion is always fun. I wonder why people are so emotionally attached to the idea of sugar addiction.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    This discussion is always fun. I wonder why people are so emotionally attached to the idea of sugar addiction.

Touch my donuts and I'll cut you . . .