Vegan?

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    All I can say if your young child is going vegan please go see a dietitian that specializes in pediatrics.
    I second this.

Third this. And if you don't, then don't make your kid go vegan. That's potentially harmful.

I WILL be talking with my daughter ped before i make any decisions on her food/diet as i always have! I want her to be as healthy as possible and would not do anything to put her in harm, but i do not see why going vegan would be any harm to her what so ever! Its HEALTHY food, veggies and fruit and beans and other things that we are ment to eat, she dosent really like meat yet anyway sometimes she will eat chicken or eggs but i will be talking with her dr before i give her or stop giving her anything.

I would go see vegan doctors and read resources on raising vegan children. If her doctor isn't vegan they will likely have a lot of ignorance about plant-based diets.
    So a doctor who doesn't agree with you is ignorant?
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    A plant-based diet can have many health benefits but it can also have health consequences - i.e. vegan diet ≠ health & omnivorous diet ≠ health - just like any other diet it all comes down to individual choice on what you put into your body.

HOWEVER, A really good reason to go vegan is for the love of animals.

I know plenty of people who were raised vegan from birth with no health problems. With any major shift in diet you just have to make sure you're very intentional about getting the macro and micro nutrients that you need.

Join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

I second this! Join our group. If you post about veganism in the general forums, you generally just get a bunch of bacon comments cause people just love saying that word for some reason. LOL anyway, There are a ton of healthy vegans.. we've almost tripled in population in the United States in the past year or two. But I agree that you can also be an unhealthy vegan just like you can be an unhealthy omnivore. Eating whole foods and not a lot of processed foods is much healthier. Although, you may want to use some substitutes to transition if you need to.

I know a few people who went vegan after watching Gary Yourofsky's best speech ever. He is extremely logical and really awesome for all he does for the animals. :) Freelee has some good points, but I don't follow her every word.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    All I can say if your young child is going vegan please go see a dietitian that specializes in pediatrics.
    I second this.

Third this. And if you don't, then don't make your kid go vegan. That's potentially harmful.

I WILL be talking with my daughter ped before i make any decisions on her food/diet as i always have! I want her to be as healthy as possible and would not do anything to put her in harm, but i do not see why going vegan would be any harm to her what so ever! Its HEALTHY food, veggies and fruit and beans and other things that we are ment to eat, she dosent really like meat yet anyway sometimes she will eat chicken or eggs but i will be talking with her dr before i give her or stop giving her anything.

Animal based sources of protein contain different amino acid profiles than plant bases sources do, specifically higher concentrations of essential amino acids that the human body cannot produce itself and must get from food including Branched-Chain Amino Acids which are important for skeletal muscle growth, especially in a growing child. Your definition of "healthy food" is flawed and you need to do your research into nutrition before putting your child on a diet that you think is healthy because you've read a few articles written by questionable sources...
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I second this.

Agreed.

I'm a vegetarian for personal reasons, and I love it, but if you make the decision to eliminate any major food groups from your diet, you need to do a lot of careful research to make sure you can continue to fuel your body appropriately and make sure it gets the calories and nutrition it needs.
    Keep in mind that Freelee is a low-fat, fully raw vegan, which means that she eats very little fat (oils, nuts/seeds, avocados) and does not heat any of her food. Because this diet consists almost entirely of foods that are very low in calories, fully raw, low-fat vegans generally put a lot of effort into eating varied diets and typically need to consume a very large volume of food during the day to meet their body's needs. I can't speak for or against this way of eating because I haven't done it myself and haven't done enough research to comment on it one way or another. But as someone else mentioned, Freelee is not a dietician, and personally, I think she's a little crazy... lol

But again, if you decide to give the vegan thing a shot, just make sure you know how to fuel yourself. As a vegetarian, I have my macro percentages set at 40% carbs, 35% fat, and 25% protein, and that protein goal can be difficult to meet. I get my protein from eggs, beans, nuts/seeds, nut butters, cheese, yogurt, soy foods (tempeh and tofu especially), protein supplements, and the occasional meat substitute, along with quite a lot of green veggies. :smile:
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    I second this.

I would go see vegan doctors and read resources on raising vegan children. If her doctor isn't vegan they will likely have a lot of ignorance about plant-based diets.

No, but not very many doctors are educated in this. If they were, they would agree with it I'm sure!
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    My husband went Vegan three years ago ( i eat occasionally non-vegan meals but it's rare). My advice is to go slow on this, maybe start of incorporating 80% vegetarian dishes and do a "Vegan Weekend" and see how you like it. Vegan *can* be very healthy, but just because it's vegan doesn't make it healthy, i know plenty of unhealthy vegans who eat vegan junkfood, eat fried things and stuff themselves with pastas etc. Do your research first, figure out what vitamins you need to take (just go to the library and get some books about this) and a few vegan cookbooks. There is some up-front cost in terms of buying things like vitains, nutritional yeast and a good vegan protein powder (i use a pea-protien powder from Truenutrition, its cheaper than anything from GNC and non-gmo pure protein without a lot of filler, i like the chocolate peanutbutter cup flavor).

Vegan cooking can be amazing and delish, but it generally takes a lot more work and preparation, i can't just decide to cut meat out and not replace it with things that will give you equal nutritional value (some people have mentioned going to see a nutritional expert, this is a good idea! )
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    ok again i will be talking to my childs dr before doing anything! I will not let my child not recieve all the nuritents that she needs! If she wants to eat a certian way when she is older fine. I did not come on here asking for parenting advice, i was asking about the vegan lifestyle...
  • eric_sg61
    I second this.

No, but not very many doctors are educated in this. If they were, they would agree with it I'm sure!
    ummm no they wouldn't agree
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Also, i do not look at freelee as some goddess with all the right ideas and amazing information i think she can be kind of rude toward fat people actually. I know she just wants everyone healthy ect. but i just stumbled across her videos and the one she posted by gary is really informative and if you have not seen it and want to make rude comments about me and my thinking about making this decision please check it out first http://youtu.be/KE-Yb6MVl8c

I am not looking for people to make smart *kitten* comments about me and the way i found out more about this vegan lifestyle which BTW i just started looking into NO i am not going to only use youtube to find my information i am not stupid so please do not make rude remarks about me. I would just like some more info from people who are vegan, who have become vegan or have at least tried it out. If you do not have anything to do with being vegan please stay out of the topic. I just want some views from real people this is "part of my research on the topic" why not look into what other real people are doing rather than just looking at facts on the internet?

I posted out of concern for your child's well being. Nutrition in children is so crucial to brain development (and other things too of course) and sometimes there's no going back. .
    In your initial post you did not mention anything about talking to her doctor first., so i am glad to hear that you will be doing that.
  • Tpope66
    Tpope66 Posts: 17 Member
    I seen that same video and you are right it does open your eyes and reallllly makes you think about what is happening. Never mind the nay-sayers.. People fear what they do not understand.. I have been thinking pretty hard about the lifestyle change myself. Right now I buy free range chicken and grass feed beef and I talk to the farmers and butchers to find out how they handle the killing process.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Thank you to everyone who has answered my actual questions :) I will be looking into this a lot more before i just cut meat out of my diet, like i said originally i eat a lot of meat chicken, fish, steak and yes bacon but i would like to give this a try so please quit bashing my post and if you have something rude to say about me or my decisions please keep it to yourslef and leave, if you dont like vegan then why did you click on the post that says vegan??
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    I second this.

No they wouldn't. It is a highly restrictive diet that if done poorly easily leads to malnutrition. The supposed health benefits have not been shown to arise from a purely Vegan diet either.
  • AJ_G
    I seen that same video and you are right it does open your eyes and reallllly makes you think about what is happening. Never mind the nay-sayers.. People fear what they do not understand.. I have been thinking pretty hard about the lifestyle change myself. Right now I buy free range chicken and grass feed beef and I talk to the farmers and butchers to find out how they handle the killing process.

People fear what they don't understand? You should be very afraid then, because it sounds like your knowledge of nutrition science is severely lacking. Don't do something because it sounds good and it sounds like it would be "healthier" or a better way to live your life. Please read through some actual scientific studies on the stuff and stop watching videos.
  • Ginoo
    Ginoo Posts: 56
    Watch the movie Forks over Knives. Plant based, whole food is the healthiest way to go. But do your research to ensure you consume enough iron etc.
  • eric_sg61
    Watch the movie Forks over Knives. Plant based, whole food is the healthiest way to go. But do your research to ensure you consume enough iron etc.
    More documentary education
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Thank you to everyone who has answered my actual questions :) I will be looking into this a lot more before i just cut meat out of my diet, like i said originally i eat a lot of meat chicken, fish, steak and yes bacon but i would like to give this a try so please quit bashing my post and if you have something rude to say about me or my decisions please keep it to yourslef and leave, if you dont like vegan then why did you click on the post that says vegan??

I would check out this site: http://www.pcrm.org/ Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine

There is a lot of great scientific research on the benefits of a plant-based diet - just be aware there is a lot of pseudoscience out there too (just like with anything).
  • AJ_G

I knew this would show up eventually. Forks over knives is the biggest piece of Vegan propaganda that I've ever seen in my entire life.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    i have no idea why someone else simply being vegan enrages some people (i do know a few people were concerned for your child based on your initial comment, but you addressed that already), i've gotten some really ****ty comments over the years from unexpected sources. I have no idea why ... seems like they'd be thrilled, more bacon for them ;p
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member

People fear what they don't understand? You should be very afraid then, because it sounds like your knowledge of nutrition science is severely lacking. Don't do something because it sounds good and it sounds like it would be "healthier" or a better way to live your life. Please read through some actual scientific studies on the stuff and stop watching videos.

Fortunately, there is a lot of scientific support for plant-based diets in written and video form. Yes, there is a lot of bull**** too but that can be navigated through.

Vegan diets can be done in ways that meet one's nutritional needs AND doesn't involve animal-cruelty.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    My baby has been vegan since conception and is 19 months now....he is so far perfect in every way health wise. I've been vegan for almost 7 years.

That said, I am very careful with how we eat, AND he is still breastfed, so he is getting a lot of nutrients from me. Really he doesn't eat a lot of food anyways.

I will have to say that most people get enough protein, that it's rarely an issue, you just need to make sure your diet is varied, we eat a lot of beans, and leafy greens.

And I've based my life changing decisions off of research. :) Keep researching.

How can your baby be vegan if you're breastfeeding him? Kind of a contradiction. Sounds to me like he's getting most of his diet from animal based sources...namely you.

Ha! I was wondering the same thing... :huh: