Dealing with Haters

Options

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

To those saying "don't be at their level" and "don't lash out"

this isn't lashing out- this is defending yourself- your personage. It would be different if she started it- but defending yourself is completely different- i would never purposefully pick apart someone's insecurities- unless they threatened me first. Then it's fair game.

I just know that in my experience, trying to fight fire with fire didn't work. It never made the bully back down. They would just come back with something nastier and it never ended. It didn't stop them from being nasty, and it didn't make me feel better. It just made me feel embarrassed for being just as immature when I knew I was better than that.
  • noahsarcmi
    Options
    The university where I work has a zero tolerance policy for bullying or what they call "bias" incidents such as racially-motivated attacks or attacks against someone's sexual orientation. What these women are doing to you is WRONG and you have every right to take this back to your teacher and on up to administration until the offenders are removed from your class.

I agree with the people who are suggesting you keep whatever documentation you can of the bullying incidents. I do not agree with the people who are suggesting you stoop to the bullies' level and fling insults back at them. That is only going to add fuel to the fire because they'll then know they've got you and will only torment you more.

You did the right thing in talking to your teacher, but unfortunately it seems the bullies do not respect his authority enough to toe the line. I think it's time you bring this to your Dean of Students office (or whatever administrative office handles student issues). Tell the administration you no longer feel safe in the class, that your grades are suffering and that you want those women removed from your class. File a restraining order if you have to.

Here's a link I found online that explains a school's responsibility when it comes to addressing bullying complaints.

http://www.stopbullying.gov/laws/federal/

Good Luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And sorry, but anyone saying "tell the school" probably hasn't actually been bullied.

Please don't 'assume' that. You don't speak for me, or others here. I've been bullied on and off all my life, and in school. I was physically attacked, and bullied and when I spoke up it stopped.

Honestly OP.... we're trying to give you the best advice we can... its up to you to decide on what to do. Personally, and I guess I'm an evil person, but if the girl was calling the Dean, "DADDY"... I'd have his job.

Good for you, glad that worked. When a teacher got involved in this instance it only made things worse. So I stand by my statement that going to the administration isn't going to do a damn thing. The Dean isn't going to get fired over this. The local newspapers aren't going to write a story.

The only person she can depend on is herself. So she needs to be strong enough to do that.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I remember my parents wanting to step in when I was a child- and it was just so much better to not have them there- it made it worse. I came into my own and learned how to deal with it myself.

papers won't write a story unless it's connected with someone and they can blow up a story about someone's daughter. being that it's a vocational school I am just not seeing the inappropriate "daddy" context stuff ruining his career.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I just know that in my experience, trying to fight fire with fire didn't work. It never made the bully back down. They would just come back with something nastier and it never ended. It didn't stop them from being nasty, and it didn't make me feel better. It just made me feel embarrassed for being just as immature when I knew I was better than that.

you don't fight fire with fire.

you napalm the fu*k out of them.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Second, I teach at night school and I have overheard students do this to other students

It probably shouldn't make me feel better that other people get bullied as adults in night school, should it?

So the general consensus is I'm going to need to figure out a way to tune them out, collect what I can even if I don't turn them in , and bust my butt getting as fit as I can.

You are not the only one is my point. This is happening everywhere. It is a different type of bullying than what I grew up with. I am 57 and was bullied from 6th grade on because I had a size D cup, but it was only name calling. At one point, I did get one of the bullies alone and I beat her up and gave her a swirly. These days, the bullies post pictures online, harass others using the internet and other technology, and make the bullying into a public spectacle.

Bullies are usually insecure people who try to boost themselves by picking on other people. One thing that I found helpful was to find people who didn't like what was going on and have them stand up for you. Bullies tend to back down when they realize that others are not going to support what they are doing. I often stood up for underdogs because I was raised on a farm. I have guns back then from pitching bales of hay and straw. I had no problem decking someone and getting suspended from school, but that is not an option these days, unfortunately. How would these two girls act if they knew that the person they were picking on would beat them up if they keep doing it? They would probably rethink things if a good fight was allowed, but these days fighting back is not seen as defending oneself. You're supposed to go to the school officials and have them deal with YOUR problem. So follow the rules and go to the school officials. Be aggressive about it and make sure that they follow their own guidelines. Most schools have guidelines in place as to what they will do in such cases. If they don't follow the guidelines, hire a lawyer and include the cost of the lawyer in your lawsuit.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really have no words to say how I feel about their bullying! Go to your spin class!! It will get easier. I remember my first class - after about 10 minutes, I thought I was dying, but I kept going back. You can do it!! Good luck and hang in there!
  • gregs_gal
    gregs_gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First off I just want to say that reading your initial post made me want to cry! For anyone to act this way toward someone else is absolutely despicable and, like so many others have already said, says so much about them and their insecurities and not a thing about you. I don’t agree with making rude, mean spirited comments back at them or resorting to violence at all. In the end it won’t help and will only put you on their level. Be better than they are, more so than you already are.

It’s silly to think that healthy, fit people don’t want to look at fat, unfit, unhealthy people, especially at the gym. Sure, some healthy people may think that, but I’m willing to bet that far more people at the gym are happy to see these people there. Personally, I love seeing these people in the gym – I was one of them a year ago! I admire them. I respect them. And the reason for this is because THEY ARE TRYING. I love seeing them push themselves and do things they weren’t sure they could do. Just like everyone else, they are succeeding every time they walk through that door and jump on a bike or pick up some weights or go just a little bit longer, even if it’s only 10 seconds.

So, whenever they make snide comments or say hurtful things, as hard as it is, tuck it away until you can get to the gym. You can pull that anger and hurt out while you’re there and use it to fire yourself up and fuel your workouts. Use it to help you push yourself that much closer toward your goals.

And finally, remember this:
    Sometimes I feel like giving up, then I remember I have a lot of motherf****ers to prove wrong.
  • meghan_elizabeth
    meghan_elizabeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bullies are usually insecure people who try to boost themselves by picking on other people. One thing that I found helpful was to find people who didn't like what was going on and have them stand up for you. Bullies tend to back down when they realize that others are not going to support what they are doing.

Exactly. People who bully others are looking for a self-esteem boost. They wanted to be accepted by others, and when their peers respond positively to their bullying, then they feel good. If someone else makes it clear that their behavior isn't cool, then they've lost that sense of acceptance that they crave.
  • loriwarnerpaulsen
    loriwarnerpaulsen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I know. I have had things like that happen to me. You are not alone. And they are not right. You are on a journey that is hard but you can do this. And DAMN, you WENT to spinning and at least you started. That is an accomplishment you should be proud of. Don't let their poor behavior stop you. You can do this. Really, you can and little steps should be celebrated. Let US celebrate you and ignore those with hate in their heart.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    SAVE THAT BULLYING EMAIL. You will need to show it to someone in authority to prove the bullying.

In the meantime, here are some comebacks.
    "Is someone trying to talk to me? You're just so scrawny I can't see you."
    "I don't pay attention to skeletons."
    "Preparing for your Skeletor audition, I see."
    "You mean you can speak? I thought you'd be too weak, given how skinny you are."
    "Kwashiorkor?"
    "Doesn't your mother feed you?"
    "I bet you're flunking this class. How can you even think when you're starving?"

"do you have a stealth mode when you turn side ways" or is that just an optical illusion.

ooohhhhh

man that's a hell of an optical illusion- youre so tiny- but your head... it's just so BIG- how do you fit that giant ego of your's through the door- I'mmma start calling you houdini!!!

also- I give people ridiculous nick names- so if I need to and am feeling uncomfortable I can have my own private joke at someone else's expense- makes me feel more comfortable.

yes- it's shallow- but no- I don't like feeling taken advantage of so it works.

Not very effective. An obese person making fun of somebody who is thin, the socially prefered size, is like a poor person making fun of a rich person's wealth.

The sting just isn't there.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    SAVE THAT BULLYING EMAIL. You will need to show it to someone in authority to prove the bullying.

"You mean you can speak? I thought you'd be too weak, given how skinny you are."
    "Kwashiorkor?"
    "I bet you're flunking this class. How can you even think when you're starving?"

"do you have a stealth mode when you turn side ways" or is that just an optical illusion.

ooohhhhh

man that's a hell of an optical illusion- youre so tiny- but your head... it's just so BIG- how do you fit that giant ego of your's through the door- I'mmma start calling you houdini!!!

also- I give people ridiculous nick names- so if I need to and am feeling uncomfortable I can have my own private joke at someone else's expense- makes me feel more comfortable.

Not very effective. An obese person making fun of somebody who is thin, the socially prefered size, is like a poor person making fun of a rich person's wealth.

there is a way to zing almost anyone. it's all about timing and delivery. I went to a military school- you make fun of EVERYONE for EVERYTHING. She could make it work.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    put your energy into your spinning class.

I'd personally start making waif blowing away jokes. Or making comments about their food- I'm shallow like that- if you attack my on that level- I'll attack you right back (I'm kind of in line with Fat Amy's mental process from Pitch Perfect).. I woudl totally say- OMG THOSE 100 calorie chips are going to make your vagina fall out of your shorts!!! it got fat!!!
    or something- I have no shame- they have gone above and beyond- which means all jokes are fair enough to them. You may not feel that way- and a lot of others probably won't either- but what they are doing is unacceptable- I got to stage 10.

If it goes 1-1 then 2-2 people just keep matching. But they did 1- and you probably tried 1- and they just keep pushing. Go to def con 10 stage 12- over the top. Usually puts people in their place immediately.

I't probably go with a Churchill type comment as well "I may be fat today - but I won't be fat forever: you unfortunately will be shallow vapid and ugly inside probably for the rest of your life"

"making fun of fat people at the gym is like making fun of sick people at the hospital"
    "You should quit trying to do Spinning, because no one healthy wants to look at this."
    no one said healthy had to be skinny. healthy is about your whole body- not what something looks like.
    Also- how am I supposed to get healthy if I quit?
    "perhaps you should quit talking- because no one nice wants to hear your voice"

Start weight lifting and then ask them how much they can dead lift

I cant' stand people like that- I would have shut that down immediately- i have no patience for such things- but zingers are kind of my thing so I tend to go their first.

Good luck to you!!! Message me if you need more moral support!!!

QFT
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    make sure you document all interactions.

go see a counselor as well.

save the email!!! print it out! and share it with a counselor.

This
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

"Kwashiorkor?"

ooohhhhh

Yes it is. People who do that to people are INSECURE themselves. There's ALWAYS a way to make it sting. Always.
  • ELM70CA
    ELM70CA Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sorry but they are *****@s. That is brutal and all about them not you. I know it still hurts and enrages you however. I hate mean people. Use your anger towards exercise. Binging is only a temporary fix and you will feel worse. I am an emotional eater myself. There are a lot of good people on this site. I would report that email though. I am 43. Mom of two. Non-judgemental, forgiving and humorous. Be strong. If you want to add me, please do so.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I bet your school has a code of conduct that forbids this. And using your school email to harass you is probably violating the school's IT policies, too. Document everything they say, keep every awful thing they send you—then take all your records of this bullying/harassment to your school's office of judicial affairs (or equivalent). There is NO excuse for these girls' behavior. And I bet that since they're harassing you, they're harassing others, too. Get the school administration to put an end to this.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am sorry this is happening.

I agree with the others who said this should be reported. Save the emails, texts, etc from them and report them. You have proof. If you don't get the results you want from the school administration, here is your recourse:

1) Tell the administration you want to leave because of them and you just might do that.

2) Go public. Contact your town newspaper and give them this story. Give them the screen shots, texts, etc and give them documentation of dates/times you met with school officials and that they did nothing to stop it. If your school has a Facebook page, post the information there. Create a blog. Go to the web site called Topix (can't remember if it's .com or .net) and find the Topix page for your town/geographical area. Post a message about the bullying problem at your school. Give all the background information and mention the school is doing nothing to stop it. See if your town or area has a Patch web site. If so, contact them and give them all the information as well.

I would want this school to go out of business if they allow things like this to happen.

I was bullied myself sporatically and in the 10th grade I put a stop to it for good, but in a way that you can't duplicate yourself.

In college, I did have an issue in one of my classes with 2 women I had to work on a project with. I don't even know what their problem was, but in class a few times after that they would point at me and laugh and said something about me in a group with others. I did nothing wrong. Moreover, one was around my age (early 20s) and the other was a woman in her 40s, which was pathetic. I figured it reflected poorly on them and not me. The class ended soon afterwards.

Please consider taking my advice. Bullying occurs because it is allowed. That needs to end.

If you take it public, who's the bully then?

This happened with a headhunter and a person looking for a job through linked-in. The headhunter emailed a not so nice reply to the job-seeker who then took it public. Both were being called bullies and I would have to agree.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes - do this today.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people act like this. Especially adults.

They're wasting all of that energy; what are they getting out of it? I just really don't get it.

PS: You're already more bada$$ than me. I'm too scared to even ATTEMPT a spinning class :)