Paleo vs. Clean eating?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm having a little bit trouble finding the true definition of Eating Clean

Because there really isn't one. IMHO, a diet that is balanced and is rich in nutrient dense whole foods is the way to go...that's what I do.

Overwhelmingly, my diet is rich in nutrient dense whole foods and I get very solid nutrition...but I also enjoy pizza from time to time...one of my favorite places to grab a quick bite is the Urban Hotdog Company where I like to have a big, old fashioned polish topped with grilled onions and sauerkraut....sometimes I use a jar of marinara sauce instead of making my own (I mean I have a full time job, 2 kids, a house to manage, etc...I don't always have time to spend hours on my marinara).

I could go on and on..and as far as "clean" goes, everyone is going to have some different threshold of allowance. As far as paleo goes, I just can't get behind something that actually demonizes certain whole foods that are good for you and most people don't have issues with...I mean I kinda sorta get the demonization of processed foods (though I think most people go overboard)...but actually demonizing nutrient dense whole foods pretty much turned me off to that diet...not to mention they're wild claims of pretty much curing whatever ails you. I most definitely believe in food and nutrition as "medicine"...but some claims are just outlandish.
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's just a fad, it seems most people would rather brag about themselves being Paleo or "clean eaters" than anything. I guess they think it's a status symbol to uneducated unfit people but the rest of us just think they are pretentious and wasting their time.

Calorie deficit and get all of your nutrients and you will be healthy and lose weight! You could even eat McDonald's!!!!! O.o

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

Ummm... ouch? I don't brag about eating paleo, and I've never told anyone else that they were wrong for not eating the way I do. As I've said before, Paleo makes me feel great and is the easiest lifestyle for me to maintain, but it's not for everyone. Rather, I find people who insist that Paleos follow a "fad diet" are rather more pretentious. I plan to eat this way for life, it's by no means a fad or a gimmick for me.

I agree. I don't think there is any one "set" diet that works for everyone. I eat mostly Paleo because I like the energy it gives me and it makes my skin look great. It even mellows out my psoriasis a bit which is nice.

Eating paleo has been around for literally thousands of years...... which I think by definition makes it the polar opposite of a fad....

LOL

Anyways dieting is a custom made thing everyone's a little different. I'm digging the way I'm eating right now. I need to go full force with it though and really get the most out of it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating paleo has been around for literally thousands of years...... which I think by definition makes it the polar opposite of a fad....

Has it really?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    However, adding things you don't enjoy or limiting things that you do because of over-blown health promises...that's where you need to consider your goals and whether the change will get you there if the health promises don't pan out.

What are the over-blown health promises?

The only one I know of is that you *might* feel better. I found that to be true for me and many others. What are the other ones?

"Do you want to lose fat and stay young, all while avoiding cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and a host of other illnesses? The Paleo Solution incorporates the latest, cutting edge research from genetics, biochemistry and anthropology to help you look, feel and perform your best"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Paleo-Solution-Original-Human/dp/0982565844/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394725601&sr=8-6&keywords=paleo+diet

I guess I'm just lucky that I never read such a book about it. I don't often believe marketing as I realize that they push the envelope or just downright lie to sell a product. But, on the contrary, some products do live up to their marketing (I do love my car). Though I imagine many diet books promise just that, so it wouldn't be very persuasive to me for those reasons alone. I was more swayed by people's personal experiences and then looking into some of the reasons supporting their experiences.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Has it really?

I'm confused too. I'd like to know the history of it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I stated that For the calories you consume I think there are plenty of MICRO nutrients missing - compared to more nutrient efficient alternatives.
    Well yes, if you're eating anything but a vitamin pill, that statement can be true for ANY food! :)

The rest of your answer goes on about a McDonalds meal. I was specifically talking about the meat.

Interesting that you don't know the difference, yet are a big proponent of it.

Me, I like to UNDERSTAND before I decide on my choices. So I've done a little research.
    As it goes, it turns out grass-fed beef likely does offer some advantages. (Organic won't make any difference that I know.
    The biggest advertised is Omega-3. Unfortunately most of the information comes from places trying to push this product/lifestyle and so on and it's taken me a while to wade through. They go on about ratios, but crucially don't mention AMOUNTS.
    This author is obviously very much 'pro' the product, but takes a much more balanced view:
    http://grassbasedhealth.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/is-grass-fed-beef-really-rich-in-omega.html
    But promoting grass fed beef because of its n-6:n-3 ratio is, at best, misleading. Beef, regardless of how it is fed, in not a “rich” source of n-3 or n-6 fatty acids
    It MAY/probably offer higher levels of few other micronutrients, but from what I can tell not to a significant amount. Unfortunately my example does make it a little harder to compare as details for McDonalds burgers include the bun and so on, while I can separate out pure grass-fed-beef - so the percentages for nutrients in the fast food meat will naturally be lower as it's not all meat as it's listed per 100g of product.

So, from what I can see, in reality it's pretty similar in anything that actually matters when considering total amounts per 100g.

So, lets get back on to the MEAT. Not comparing a pile of varied steamed veg with some bread. I had copied and pasted my question yet again, but this time I've made the words 'meat' bold, so you can more easily see these meaty word.

Do you believe the meat in a McDonalds burger has less micronutrients than the meat you eat? Now that I've done my research - I'll add the caveat - to a degree that matters.
    If you do, could you provide some backup to explain why you believe that.

Next, if you have already had enough micronutrients of that kind, do you think that having more will be beneficial?

I too have seen minor research that suggest a favorable Omega 3 ratio. That question is the legitimacy of the sources and how much research has really been done. Personally, i find it rather ludicrous when people say "XX" food is better than "YY"" because its more nutrient pack. The major issue with a claim is doesn't take into consideration of your whole diet. Ones diet is supposed to support their requirements (daily lifestyle/exercise/etc). At what time are we going to start to think holistic.
  • Salem22212
    Options
    Ive been eating paleo-ish. I was on a 3 month plateau until I started that and have lost an average of 2 lb a week since. I dont like to call it paleo but it basically is. I dont seek out all organic or grassfed though. When I have a good streak of it it makes me feel great & I havent touched my huge bottle of pepto in weeks lol. I have a cheesburger & soda every saturday. Really keeps me motivated all week haha
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Ive been eating paleo-ish. I was on a 3 month plateau until I started that and have lost an average of 2 lb a week since. I dont like to call it paleo but it basically is. I dont seek out all organic or grassfed though. When I have a good streak of it it makes me feel great & I havent touched my huge bottle of pepto in weeks lol. I have a cheesburger & soda every saturday. Really keeps me motivated all week haha

No, that basically is not paleo at all.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you really wanted to eat a 'paelo' diet, you'd follow what is described through here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

Oddly enough, all 'paelo' followers I've seen don't come close :).
  • Salem22212
    Options

Thats why I said ish. & its a whole lot closer to paleo then other diets. & yes I follow the BASIC guidlines. Boo I guess im not paleo enough :'(
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Our very own Neandermagon also has a bunch of great insight into the actual requirements of a paleolithic lifestyle.

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/
  • likitisplit
    Options

Thats why I said ish. & its a whole lot closer to paleo then other diets. & yes I follow the BASIC guidlines. Boo I guess im not paleo enough :'(

I'm paleo too, except for the grains, legumes, potatoes and dairy.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I stated that For the calories you consume I think there are plenty of MICRO nutrients missing - compared to more nutrient efficient alternatives.
    Well yes, if you're eating anything but a vitamin pill, that statement can be true for ANY food! :)

The rest of your answer goes on about a McDonalds meal. I was specifically talking about the meat.

Me, I like to UNDERSTAND before I decide on my choices. So I've done a little research.
    As it goes, it turns out grass-fed beef likely does offer some advantages. (Organic won't make any difference that I know.
    The biggest advertised is Omega-3. Unfortunately most of the information comes from places trying to push this product/lifestyle and so on and it's taken me a while to wade through. They go on about ratios, but crucially don't mention AMOUNTS.
    This author is obviously very much 'pro' the product, but takes a much more balanced view:
    http://grassbasedhealth.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/is-grass-fed-beef-really-rich-in-omega.html
    But promoting grass fed beef because of its n-6:n-3 ratio is, at best, misleading. Beef, regardless of how it is fed, in not a “rich” source of n-3 or n-6 fatty acids
    It MAY/probably offer higher levels of few other micronutrients, but from what I can tell not to a significant amount. Unfortunately my example does make it a little harder to compare as details for McDonalds burgers include the bun and so on, while I can separate out pure grass-fed-beef - so the percentages for nutrients in the fast food meat will naturally be lower as it's not all meat as it's listed per 100g of product.

So, from what I can see, in reality it's pretty similar in anything that actually matters when considering total amounts per 100g.

So, lets get back on to the MEAT. Not comparing a pile of varied steamed veg with some bread. I had copied and pasted my question yet again, but this time I've made the words 'meat' bold, so you can more easily see these meaty word.

Do you believe the meat in a McDonalds burger has less micronutrients than the meat you eat? Now that I've done my research - I'll add the caveat - to a degree that matters.

Next, if you have already had enough micronutrients of that kind, do you think that having more will be beneficial?

I too have seen minor research that suggest a favorable Omega 3 ratio. That question is the legitimacy of the sources and how much research has really been done. Personally, i find it rather ludicrous when people say "XX" food is better than "YY"" because its more nutrient pack. The major issue with a claim is doesn't take into consideration of your whole diet. Ones diet is supposed to support their requirements (daily lifestyle/exercise/etc). At what time are we going to start to think holistic.

No kidding. What is more nutrient dense: Squash, Sweet potato, Avocado, Grapefruit or Chocolate Chip cookies?

If you count sugar and fat as nutrients (they are), the chocolate chip cookies probably win.

If you're looking at nutrients per calorie? I'm not going to look it up...I'm just going to make sure that all of them are part of my diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this thread reminds me of an old school hip hop hook line..."round and round we go, round and round we go"
  • bcattoes
    Options

Paleo enough for what?

My point was that your post is like most of the posts I've seen of those who claim to follow paleo, in that they don't follow it at all. They've simply decided to eat less processed foods and/or more whole foods and/or limit grains.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Oh yeh I see what you've done there Gee well done.

I mention a McDonald's MEAL (breakfast in my statement) and then you flip it asking about just the burger! Which obviously is how everyone had the McDonald's - oh just the burger thanks hold the bun, crappy salad, sort of sauce stuff - no fries and left the coke!

I would think that if you were just comparing he same number of calories based on the meat alone - I would answer - I don't know.

But then my original point wasn't based on that.
  • Salem22212
    Options
    The only reason im not paleo is my meat isnt grassfed & I have a cheat day. Thats all you had to go off of. A lot of paleo people are 80/20 so my saturday burger is well within guidlines. I try my best bc this diet seems to work for me whatever you wanna call it. Broke paleo I suppose since I cant affort top dollar meat. A lot of these paleo people wanna call themselves cavemen & theyre not. They are nothing like paleolithic people. Thats why I dont like calling it paleo even though I based my diet on that when I made the change. I really dont know why it matters at all though. If it helps ill retract that. Im NOT paleo. I just dont eat grains, legumes, dairy or processed foods MOST of the time.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The only reason im not paleo is my meat isnt grassfed & I have a cheat day. Thats all you had to go off of. A lot of paleo people are 80/20 so my saturday burger is well within guidlines. I try my best bc this diet seems to work for me whatever you wanna call it. Broke paleo I suppose since I cant affort top dollar meat. A lot of these paleo people wanna call themselves cavemen & theyre not. They are nothing like paleolithic people. Thats why I dont like calling it paleo even though I based my diet on that when I made the change. I really dont know why it matters at all though. If it helps ill retract that. Im NOT paleo. I just dont eat grains, legumes, dairy or processed foods MOST of the time.

That's a much better description :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's a much better description :flowerforyou:

Agreed. My post was not meant as critism. Just to point out that most people that tout the benefits of paleo are really just touting the benefits of cleaning up their diet (or whatever non-"clean" term doesn't spark attack mode) and eating low carb.

I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intention.
  • vmitch5
    vmitch5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been eating clean for years, with an occasional cheat, I tried Paleo for a month with some friends, and found that I did feel less bloated, and felt like I had more energy. I am still abiding by the Paleo diet, with the exception of oatmeal, I teach fitness classes, and need a good carb that it going to sustain me for hours in the morning, and found that I just can't give up my oatmeal.
    %85 is the general rule, and do the best you can.
    I did try some recipes for cookies, brownies, for when I craved sweets, and they were really good, I just googled them.
    My family liked the treats too, and didn't even notice the veggies I added to them, and that there was no sugar in them