My Experience with Raw Vegan 80/10/10 Challenge Month

Options

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Yes. Blood was drawn on Tuesday. Waiting for results and will post before/after.

Where are zee results!
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    All right the results are in:

Total cholesterol now: 131 before: 174 Best below 200
    LDL now: 83 before: 97 Best below 100
    HDL now: 45 before: 46 best above 40
    Triglycerides now: 84 before: 73 best below 150
    Non HDL now: 86 before: 128 best below 130
    Insulin now: 4 before: 1 (3-9 good range)
    Free fatty acid now: .47 before: .80 best below .6
    Vit D now: 32 before: 34 (30-100 good range)
    Glucose now: 97 before: 83 (70-100 good range)

Testosterone shot up 65 points (not publishing this actual number, but, it is and was on the high end of the scale (292-867). It's closer to the high end now. :)

Hematocrit: exactly the same (on the high side of this scale: 37-49.
    Hemoglobin: now: 15.2 before: 15.2 ((13-17 good range)
    Calcium now: 9.6 before: 9.6 (8.5 - 10.5 good range)
    creatine now: 1.1 before: 1.0 (.8 - 1.4 good range)
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Looks really healthy! HDL a tad low - would think it would be higher with all the exercise you get in....
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    Looks really healthy! HDL a tad low - would think it would be higher with all the exercise you get in....

You would think wouldn't you. But, I'm not surprised as I think there have been issues in my family.
  • BenSalazar
    Options
    All right the results are in:

Total cholesterol now: 131 before: 174 Best below 200
    LDL now: 83 before: 97 Best below 100
    HDL now: 45 before: 46 best above 40
    Triglycerides now: 84 before: 73 best below 150
    Non HDL now: 86 before: 128 best below 130
    Insulin now: 4 before: 1 (3-9 good range)
    Free fatty acid now: .47 before: .80 best below .6
    Vit D now: 32 before: 34 (30-100 good range)
    Glucose now: 97 before: 83 (70-100 good range)

Testosterone shot up 65 points (not publishing this actual number, but, it is and was on the high end of the scale (292-867). It's closer to the high end now. :)

Hematocrit: exactly the same (on the high side of this scale: 37-49.
    Hemoglobin: now: 15.2 before: 15.2 ((13-17 good range)
    Calcium now: 9.6 before: 9.6 (8.5 - 10.5 good range)
    creatine now: 1.1 before: 1.0 (.8 - 1.4 good range)

looks seriously good man.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, one month changed the numbers?

Nice numbers though. I never get checked, Ignorance is bliss =)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure food takes 3 days to get through ya...

I had a colonoscopy a few years back. I was getting only 25 +gms of fiber in my diet at that time and on a modified "healthy" omnivore diet limiting red meat, sugars,saturated fats, and refined grains. The doc said to expect my first movement in "2 days". Naturally it took me 4 days! I'm getting another colonoscopy next month and currently get about 50+ gms of fiber and am whole plant vegan. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference for me.

To OP: LOVE that you are a "true athlete" and have learned all of this for the rest of us. Best of luck to you in finding what works for you!
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    Just for clarification, one month changed the numbers?

Nice numbers though. I never get checked, Ignorance is bliss =)

Todd, three months prior was the first blood test.
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    I'm not really sure food takes 3 days to get through ya...

I had a colonoscopy a few years back. I was getting only 25 +gms of fiber in my diet at that time and on a modified "healthy" omnivore diet limiting red meat, sugars,saturated fats, and refined grains. The doc said to expect my first movement in "2 days". Naturally it took me 4 days! I'm getting another colonoscopy next month and currently get about 50+ gms of fiber and am whole plant vegan. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference for me.

To OP: LOVE that you are a "true athlete" and have learned all of this for the rest of us. Best of luck to you in finding what works for you!

Susan, it's "mostly" a pleasure to share. I've taken a lot of heat being truthful and sharing here. But people like you make it all worth it. Thank you!
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Very interesting...:smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I find my pooping is awesome and more productive since I cut out animal products :)
    True story. Gotta love fiber rich food.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your raw vegan experience. It sounds like you had fish only as your form of cooked protein, right?:flowerforyou:
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your raw vegan experience. It sounds like you had fish only as your form of cooked protein, right?:flowerforyou:

Hi. cooked meals were beans, sweet potatoes, or lentils, etc... Since the Feb challenge, I've had meat about 5-6 times and it's been chicken, fish, and beef (no pork). I did not feel good after doing so. I'm still eating raw vegan mostly because of the way it makes me feel and perform in my sports. I do not get hung up though if I have some meat or cooked food. Three things were certain for me doing this in Feb. 1. I lost weight eating "more" calories than I did when I was eating pretty clean. 2. my cholesterol went "way" down. 3. I felt great. I mean, really, really great. Still do. Btw, I do plan on maintaining this through the TX summer and my cycling race season this year. I will be taking B12 supplements, although, even meat eaters are deficient (I don't get all hung up on who is and who isn't, I'm just going to make sure I'm not!). Thanks for you post and I hope this all helps a few people.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Hi. cooked meals were beans, sweet potatoes, or lentils, etc... Since the Feb challenge, I've had meat about 5-6 times and it's been chicken, fish, and beef (no pork). I did not feel good after doing so. I'm still eating raw vegan mostly because of the way it makes me feel and perform in my sports. I do not get hung up though if I have some meat or cooked food. Three things were certain for me doing this in Feb. 1. I lost weight eating "more" calories than I did when I was eating pretty clean. 2. my cholesterol went "way" down. 3. I felt great. I mean, really, really great. Still do. Btw, I do plan on maintaining this through the TX summer and my cycling race season this year. I will be taking B12 supplements, although, even meat eaters are deficient (I don't get all hung up on who is and who isn't, I'm just going to make sure I'm not!). Thanks for you post and I hope this all helps a few people.

Appreciate your prompt response. I consume lots of raw veggies and fruits and I wonder how others get their protein intake following a raw vegan diet especially with all your vigorous training. :flowerforyou:
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your raw food results mirror my experience and more than 90% of my calories come from raw food that is loosely based on 80/10/10.

My sweet recent surprise was my endurance - before raw I had a hard time burning even 300 cals in 30 minutes on elliptical. Today I burned 400 cals in 30 mins plus still had the energy to go more if time was not a constraint.

I am also in TX - Dallas area.
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    Your raw food results mirror my experience and more than 90% of my calories come from raw food that is loosely based on 80/10/10.

My sweet recent surprise was my endurance - before raw I had a hard time burning even 300 cals in 30 minutes on elliptical. Today I burned 400 cals in 30 mins plus still had the energy to go more if time was not a constraint.

Glad to hear it. I'm leaning to a more long term experiment but ensuring I have B12 covered. I hear there's no cobalt in the ground anymore and that even as meat eaters, we are deficient. amazing, uh?
  • BenSalazar
    Options

Glad to hear it. I'm leaning to a more long term experiment but ensuring I have B12 covered. I hear there's no cobalt in the ground anymore and that even as meat eaters, we are deficient. amazing, uh?

I need to lose 60 lbs. Wonder how risky this diet is...
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is an extremely restrictive way of eating. And I'm 100% supportive if it works for a person, keeps them feeling good, and reaching their goals.

But I do find it pretty amazing that veganism, and the even more extreme raw vegan 811 diet, garners so much positivity, yet any thread about paleo, low carb, or any other such programs, that aren't anywhere near as restrictive, almost always get swamped with bashing, arguing, and gifs of off-program food.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is an extremely restrictive way of eating. And I'm 100% supportive if it works for a person, keeps them feeling good, and reaching their goals.

But I do find it pretty amazing that veganism, and the even more extreme raw vegan 811 diet, garners so much positivity, yet any thread about paleo, low carb, or any other such programs, that aren't anywhere near as restrictive, almost always get swamped with bashing, arguing, and gifs of off-program food.

I seldom see vegan / raw vegan threads crop up, tbh. Few for vegetarian also.
    Although i don't know any vegans, the vegetarians I know do it for reasons of conscious, not for weight loss.