Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!!!!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with before and after. Before is more of the actual rolling, after is more finding the rough spots and keeping on them till they work themselves out.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes but a bread dough roller will work until you get one.
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    YES!
    I love using foam rollers! I always suggest them to my clients who have access. (I'm a massage therapist.)
    SO great for back pain and working out tension in legs. Putting it right under your tail bone and relax over it is a great low back stretch. Roll back and fourth to find your sweet spot. I wish we would keep on at the spa.
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    Interesting. Everything I've read previously says to foam-roll before lifting. Yet, it appears many here advocate it for after. Which, of course, makes sense. Maybe I'll have to try it after from now on - especially on leg days.

My (admitted limited) understanding is that squashing a muscle right before you use it is probably not the best idea.

I can understand using it before. Warms up the muscle and increases blood flow to the area. It's like in sports massage or before an athlete plays they slap their muscles. It's to wake them up aka get the blood flowing and energize the muscle. Makes for a more effective work out.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do this before workouts if I feel tightness in my hips or back but mostly do it after and on off days.

Limber 11
    http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc

This has really helped me a lot to reach muscles that are smaller and harder to reach with a foam roller.
    http://www.tigertailusa.com/
  • iifym_girl
    iifym_girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love my Rumble Roller, but it's not for the faint of heart

RumbleRoller_display.png?1735

I had chronic knee pain after ACL surgery, went through PT, was getting strong again but it just wouldn't go away. Tried regular foam rollers but they weren't quite 'getting in there' enough. Got this beauty, and though it feels like the medieval torture device it appears to be, NEVER have I experienced such a fast or complete reduction in pain and stiffness. Use it on the regular now for everything from back knots to shoulders to legs. Wouldn't go without one.

I just ordered this because of this post lol. I need something to dig deeper into my back, shoulder area, and glutes.. I think this will do it. Thanks for sharing!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Everything I've read previously says to foam-roll before lifting. Yet, it appears many here advocate it for after. Which, of course, makes sense. Maybe I'll have to try it after from now on - especially on leg days.

I generally roll before and just do some walking and light stretching after my lifts. I also roll on my non-lifting days...on cycling days I usually roll shortly after...on rest days I just roll whenever and usually do some yoga.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys I think i'll get one, Im not sure how much they are here ill shop around to get the best price.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Love my Rumble Roller, but it's not for the faint of heart

RumbleRoller_display.png?1735

I had chronic knee pain after ACL surgery, went through PT, was getting strong again but it just wouldn't go away. Tried regular foam rollers but they weren't quite 'getting in there' enough. Got this beauty, and though it feels like the medieval torture device it appears to be, NEVER have I experienced such a fast or complete reduction in pain and stiffness. Use it on the regular now for everything from back knots to shoulders to legs. Wouldn't go without one.

Wow that looks like a torture device lol or some kinky spanking stick haha :P
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yay
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I got my foam roller from Amazon yesterday. I used it today after my workout, and I loved it. My glutes were really sore from yesterday's workout, and it helped. Also, I happened to look at them at Target yesterday. The same basic one was $39.99, but I paid $19.95 through Amazon, so shop around if you're looking for one.
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I only just discovered it about a month ago and love it. It's really painful (especially after my run this morning) but the relief is almost instant afterwards.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes yes yes! Hurts but feels so good afterward. I make lots of funny noises using it, to the extent that my nephews now think it's the greatest toy ever as they like to copy my funny noises. And hide it in weird places...
    Maybe I need another one...
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My (very experienced runner) husband's physio (specifically sports, not general NHS) told him to stop using them. She said most people don't know what they are doing and end up doing more harm than good.

Just to add an alternative opinion of them.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    They also make a great whiffle ball bat for 5 year olds

Or columns for a den.
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    Absolutely yes! I get a ridiculous amount of knee pain if any muscle below my waist (pretty much) is tight, so if I even feel a twinge coming on in either knee then I get the roller out. I'm also planning to use it a lot more now that I'm completely uninjured and trying to be on peak form for my sports.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting one for ages....you guys have convinced me to upgrade from my bit of copper pipe and tumble dryer ball - will be trying out the wine bottle idea till it gets delivered though =D
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in one, if you're going for the traditional rollers and not the Grid or Rumble rollers look for ones which are either blue or black as they are much firmer foam than the white.

I have a love/hate relationship with mine...I love it because it feels good especially after but I hate it because it can be particularly painful all depending on the number of knots you have along with which part you're working - IT bands for example are more painful to do than quads/hammies.

Some people use it pre and post-workout, sort of like people will do dynamic stretches before and static after...Warms up the muscle before and helps stretch and get rid of knots, adhesions and everything else after