Overweight daughter

Options
My daughter is 26, 287 lbs and about 5'7". She knows she needs to lose weight to be healthy and yet does nothing about it. I have tried everything I can think of to encourage her to start this journey. When I was doing WW I actually got her to join. She lost about 15 lbs and then for whatever reason gave up on it. I am now trying to get her to join MFP. I keep hoping that by seeing my success she will realize that it can be done. She lives in a different state then I do so it is really hard sometimes to get on top of her about this. Especially without hurting her feelings. Any mothers out there in a similar situation? Or maybe some girls in her age group that could tell me what they would want to hear from their mothers.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this, but it has to come from her, or it will never work.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be unkind, but she probably resents the pressure you're putting on her which will, in turn, make the issue worse because that resentment breeds avoidance. Just let her do her own thing and be supportive if she decides to do something about her weight on her own.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My mum kept telling me I should get fitter and lose weight (only because she loves me, not in a harsh way). I only started actually doing something about it once she left me alone and stopped going on about it. The choice had to be mine and whilst she was telling me what to do there was no chance of it being done. That's kids for you.
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My mother used to tell me I needed to lose weight. It didn't encourage me it just made me paranoid. Now I'm older I know she was only trying to help and express concern but it made me feel awful. Like I wasn't worthy because I was fat. I know this isn't how she wanted me to feel but that's how it impacted my life at the time.

She can only do it for herself and only when she wants to stick to it she will.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A little perspective from the daughter's point of view. It's good that you're supportive and help her with ideas and try to get her to join you in your weight loss efforts. HOWEVER, there is nothing you can do beyond that. She's going to figure it out eventually and will have to do it in her own way and in her own time. Give advice only when asked and be very careful with asking about how her weight loss is going. This can be a very touchy subject, even between the closest of mothers and daughters.

My mother was always really supportive and helpful and even paid for WW for me a few times. But it wasn't until I decided to do it for myself and on my own that it really stuck (first w/ WW then on MFP).

I get it, trust me. I've got cousins and an aunt who live states away are very overweight and always talk about wanting to lose weight but they never take the advice given. Eventually I figured out that all of that really isn't any of my business. I might drop advice about what is helpful from time to time if the subject comes up but that's as far as I go. As much as I wish I could do more, ultimately it's up to them to make the decision to change.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Leave her alone. Seriously. Leave. Her. Alone. You have undoubtedly already said and done things that have hurt or angered her so deeply that she will never forget them. Stop. Stop now.

Letting her find her own way is the only way for (1) you to keep a relationship with her and (2) for her to lose weight. Just STOP.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this, but it has to come from her, or it will never work.

THIS ^^^^^ with anything that requires a life change it has to come form within (like Quitting Smoking or Drinking or anything else it only works if the motivation is internal - then the outside support helps)
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, my mum has never had to 'nag' me about my weight - but she has about a lot of other things. From personal experience, the more a parent nags (or encourages!) their child to do something, the more they rebel and do the opposite. As a 24 year old female, my advice to you would be to back off a bit. I know you're probably worried about your daughter but you're never going to get her to do something she doesn't want to do, and more importantly, get her to stick with it. She needs to realise on her own that she needs to lose weight, then do something about it. She needs to be commited and serious about changing her life.

Your progress will speak volumes - let your results do the talking.

Good luck!
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    ^^ AGREE!!!

If *she* doesn't want it... it will not happen. Pressuring her, pestering her, hinting to her will only cause resentment. I know you want her to be healthy, but she has to be the one to see the problem...if/when she comes to you for advice - THEN offer (in a non-hostile/over zealous way) advice/guidance. Until then... just be there for her and love her!!!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    leave her alone her body is not your business she is a grown women

you have probably contributed to her feeling like massive **** about her self too btw ..so you really need to stop & be supportive of how and who she is NOW

she is okay and loved and perfect just the way she is good looorddd
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    She is an adult and capable of making her own choices (even those that you may not agree with). The BEST thing you can do is love her as she is, anything less and it will permanently damage your relationship.

As a parent myself I know how hard it is to see our children do things that are harmful to themselves, the parent in us wants to help them or parent them into doing what we want.

Take a step back and maybe apologize to her about your previous statements.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, though I have the exact opposite problem I am 26 years old and I have tried and repetitively failed at helping my mother get healthy. She suffers from many long term illnesses that would either get better or disappear completely if only she worked towards a healthy lifestyle. It can be extremely aggravating knowing that if only you could get through to someone and help them understand it would be so much better. All I can say is that if you are healthy then you are already doing the best thing you can by being a good example, I don't have that, my mother is my BAD example, she's the person I DON'T want to be when I am older and I definitely don't want my kids (3) to see me that way either.

Keep loving your daughter and keep being a good example, it may not be easy but hopefully she will come around on her own.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    As a mother I really feel for you. My suggestion is just to demonstrate your love and support for everything she does but not mention her weight at all. Just let her know that she is really valued as the person she is now (I am sure you do but kids, especially daughters will ignore all the positive messages and pick up on a small negative message). When she feels valued enough to deserve to be slimmer/healthier she will do it for herself. Set an example for her in your use of mfp but do not discuss it with her unless she asks.

I remember once saying to my pre-teen daughter, who was complaining about her looks/legs/weight etc, that she was fortunate that she was a beautiful person and a pretty girl and that, even though she may wish her ankles slimmer, she should be thankful her legs worked. From that day to this she accuses me of telling her she has fat ankles!! I learned the lesson.

You obviously adore your daughter - let her know it is for who she is now - she may be on the heavy side but I am sure you tell her all her good qualities - that's all you need to do. She has a mirror - she knows the rest

.:flowerforyou:
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    All of the above.....

I was an overweight daughter all of my life until this past January. Even though my mom and sister always meant well, it did hurt when the talked about the weight problems that other have.

I'm 44 now, solved alot of my own problems and then found a way to lose my weight sustainably. No other person in the world could have helped me, except ME.

Go your own route. It's great, that you are doing something for your own weight problems. Try to accept your daughter as she is, even if it hurts you to see her unhealthy. She may come around soon, in 20 yrs or never. But that's her decision.
  • ctbecker84
    Options
    A person needs to have a sense of self-confidence to even attempt to lose weight - as we all know who are here, it's a very challenging undertaking that takes a ton of discipline, and getting started and breaking the old habits is often the hardest part. I am thinking of it more from your daughter's point of view, as I am a woman in my 20s, and I am thinking that if my mom was in the habit of "nagging" me to lose weight (even in a nice way), it would make me feel bad about myself and wouldn't motivate me. It may seem counterintuitive, but maybe stop suggesting to her daughter what she should or shouldn't do, and just tell her you love her unconditionally and you think she's beautiful - don't even mention weight or fitness. If she feels good about herself and feels supported and loved, she'll be more like to make the choice to lose weight on her own. But even if she never does, you'll feel good knowing that you provided her with love and support as her mother. At the end of the day, you don't want to regret what this disagreement over her weight could potentially do to your long-term relationship.
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    She may feel intimidated by your success, afraid she wont't be as successful as what you have been. At any rate, it has to be something she wants for herself. Something she is willing to work for because as you know there is a lot of hard work!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It's nice that you are worried for her (as you should be). However, as a daughter with a mother and grandmother who told her she needed to lose weight throughout her life, I would err on the side of caution.

She obviously realizes that she needs to lose weight. There is really nothing you can do to get her to try to lose it. Honestly, it's better if you don't mention it at all.

Your success will most likely eventually push her to start the journey. That, or something will click within her to start.

TLDR; Don't constantly talk about her weight. Quietly keep doing what you're doing, and only help her if she asks for help.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I get it, too. My entire family smokes. My daughter quit when she got pregnant, but everybody else is going at it like it's good for you (outside; they don't force their second-hand smoke on me). If there were a way to nag/encourage/motivate them into quitting, I'd do it. But there isn't. Changing habits is hard and a person will only do it when he or she is ready.

Most infuriating of all - my husband quit last year for about 3 months. He told me he had to quit because smoking was killing him. Then he started up again.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    She is 26, nothing is going to help her lose weight until she decides to make the decison to change. Sorry, but all you can do is suggest MFP and explain what it is but you cant make her use it and I dont recommend trying to make her use it, it will probably make her worse.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My mother used to tell me I needed to lose weight. It didn't encourage me it just made me paranoid. Now I'm older I know she was only trying to help and express concern but it made me feel awful. Like I wasn't worthy because I was fat. I know this isn't how she wanted me to feel but that's how it impacted my life at the time.

She can only do it for herself and only when she wants to stick to it she will.

^ This! ^ This! and ^ This!

My mother makes weight comments...."you need to lose some weight" ......like duh!....really? Thanks for letting me know....because I had no clue.