Overweight daughter

Options

Replies

• SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    OP...i have a task for you.

I want you to go through this thread.

I want you to count just how many people in this thread ALONE said that their parents, even just telling them that they wanted them healthy, made it harder for them. Made it emotional for them...and most of all...

made them feel that they weren't good enough or were failing.

I also want you to go through this thread and count how many people in THIS THREAD ALONE said that they needed to be ready to do this for it to stick.

Then lastly, I want you to go through this thread...and count how many people feel that you "staying on top of it" is going to work.

I think...given the historical data that you have...you have a good idea of how this will likely turn out.

As a person that struggled with her weight all her life...and watched my mom struggle with hers...and had my mom riding me about my weight....

it made things worse. It made things hard...and it made me feel like I wasn't good enough or worthless....and it took me a VERY LONG time to understand that she just didn't want me to suffer, or be teased...or miss out on opportunities because of my weight...

she cared and she loved me...but that's not what I heard at the time....

I heard "you aren't good enough"

it took me 20 years to realise she was really saying "I love you."

is it worth it? really...is it?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    my mother was constantly harping on about my weight and the fear for me could make her quite nasty about it at times. all it would do is upset me, get my back up and i would end up eating more

i would be accused of eating things i shouldnt so i got to the point of well if im going to be accused i might as well just bleeding well eat it
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    WOW... this is exactly why I don't post in forums.... You people are forgetting that she is her MOTHER and was just asking to see if any other mother is going through this.... All she wants is the best for her daughter, who the hell wouldn't??? You lot make out that she has been pestering her daughter. All she said is that she "encouraged" her daughter to join MFP... Jeez, if my mum said that to me, I wouldn't have a breakdown, I would actually thank her for her advice.

"I lost weight trying this, you should try it. I lost weight trying that, you should try it. I did this and you should do that." That is the "encouragement" that the daughter is receiving. Encouragement isn't saying, "You're fat, and although I won't say the words 'you're fat', I will consistently point out this weight loss program or that weight loss solution until you conform to the way I want you to be for your health and happiness."

Good intentions or no, doesn't matter. You can't fix anyone until they want to be fixed. It doesn't matter if they are bad with money, always in trouble with the law, overweight, addicted to drugs...it doesn't matter. There has to be a point in the person's life when they realize that they want to change and they want to change for themselves and not because someone else wants them to change.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Nope, you're right. She's 50lbs overweight, like you said (obviously she SHOULD be around 235lbs in an ideal world, and a mother wanting to try and help her daughter realise that what she's doing is dangerous is completely unreasonable. You've convinced me.

As has been stated so many times in this thread it's ridiculous, "a mother wanting to try and help her daughter" comes off as hurtful when it comes to weight. Even though I'm not a woman I felt the same way when my mother "was just trying to help."

When a husband suggests to his wife that she lose weight how does she handle it?

How about if I told you right now you look like you could stand to drop a few? You gonna thank me?

Nobody wants to hear that they need to lose weight. We all know how we look, it's not like the thought simply never occurred to anyone. Hearing it from someone else just makes you feel bad about yourself. Hearing it from the people closest to you, who are supposed to love and support you, hurts in ways that can cause real emotional damage.

I'm not picking holes here mate, but from the original post, it didn't sound like she was coming at this this from the angle of how her daughter looks. So I don't think she deserved every MFP member's story of how a concerned parent f**cked up their life. It's only my opinion.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This has to be her decision. The only motivation that matters will come from her.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    She lives in a different state then I do so it is really hard sometimes to get on top of her about this.
    It's really difficult for me to get past this sentence.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I'm not picking holes here mate, but from the original post, it didn't sound like she was coming at this this from the angle of how her daughter looks. So I don't think she deserved every MFP member's story of how a concerned parent f**cked up their life. It's only my opinion.

Why?

Because if the OP had to hear a bunch of criticism about something so personal to her it would hurt her feelings?

Gee I wonder if there's anyone who could relate to that feeling...

+ 1

It also doesn't matter if the OP is directing it towards the way her daughter looks. There is a very good chance that, regardless of phrasing, that is how her daughter takes it.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    leave her alone her body is not your business she is a grown women

you have probably contributed to her feeling like massive **** about her self too btw ..so you really need to stop & be supportive of how and who she is NOW

she is okay and loved and perfect just the way she is good looorddd

I know that by asking for advice in a public forum that I should be prepared for the good and the bad, however this is a little harsh don't you think? Especially knowing none of the details about the kind of relationship I have with my daughter. You make it sound like I called her a fat pig to her face. I have NEVER told her she needs to lose weight. Thank you for making me feel like a piece of **** mother.
    I don't think you're a bad mom. But if you try to get her to join MFP, you're telling her to lose weight. You might not say "OMG you're gross and you might break my furniture by sitting on it!" but inviting someone to use a calorie counting website definitely means you want them to count calories to the affect of losing weight. Does this make you a bad parent? Not really, but the rules for dealing with people aren't waived just because she's your daughter. You can't change a 26-year-old coworker's behavior by telling them to join MFP, you won't change your 26-year-old daughter's behavior the same way.
    Please be concerned, but also know that how another person perceives your words may be very different than how you intend them to be perceived. My father will ask every time I come home from college what I'm majoring in. He says "What's your major, again?" What I hear is "Your goals are kind of stupid and they don't take up enough of my gray matter for me to remember them." Of course I'm projecting! But it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day his words- and my perception of their meaning- hurt my feelings and leave a negative impression that cannot be erased.
  • onleethestrong
    onleethestrong Posts: 44 Member
    Options

This is a valuable lesson to you.

Did the person call you a piece of **** mother?

No. That's what you took from the advice.

So when you tell your daughter, "honey you could stand to be a bit healthier" (or however you put it) she hears, "I'm disgusted by my fat daughter."

You have to let her make her own choices for herself. All you can do is love her unconditionally and be there to support her. That's it.
    +1

Patronising, unhelpful and not true.

^ Actually, sadly, very true!!! And it's not at all to put you down OP! My mom has always tried to "encourage" me to get healthier. I now believe that I didn't hear the ACTUAL words she was saying, just the very worst of the worst, and letting it fester in my head it got EVEN worse!
    I knew I was over weight! I knew that it wasn't good for me, and I wasn't healthy, but ever time my mom sat me down to encourage me to make changes it fueled my resentment, and I wound up eating more, and more and more....

It was after I finally had the courage to tell her that I no longer want to discuss my weight issues, diets I could try, etc, and she HEARD me, and left it alone that I seemed to figure it out. Sucks that I was 362 lbs when that day came though.....

She'll be okay. You'll be okay. I know that you love her, and only want what's best for your family. :) Good luck to you, and to her
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this, but it has to come from her, or it will never work.

1000% This.

I've been overweight since junior high/high school. I've always known I needed to lose weight. I never did anything about it though, because I just wasn't ready. I wasn't ready to take on all of the mental and physical implications from losing weight. I wasn't ready to do the research of how to successfully lose weight without all of those over the counter gimmicks. Losing weight, or starting at the beginning of a "weight loss journey" is incredibly daunting and overwhelming.

Parental nagging/addressing of issues just makes you want to go the opposite way, no matter what age you are. She'll feel disheartened and turn to food because she doesn't feel good enough, or worthy enough. Food will "comfort" her, and in turn just add to the problem.

Stand back, accept her how she is, offer support for when she's ready and let her be her own person. If she wants it badly enough, believe me, she'll do whatever it takes to start. But that won't happen until she's ready.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    WOW... this is exactly why I don't post in forums.... You people are forgetting that she is her MOTHER and was just asking to see if any other mother is going through this.... All she wants is the best for her daughter, who the hell wouldn't??? You lot make out that she has been pestering her daughter. All she said is that she "encouraged" her daughter to join MFP... Jeez, if my mum said that to me, I wouldn't have a breakdown, I would actually thank her for her advice.

Thank you!
  • ashlwar84
    ashlwar84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it has to be her decision. I am speaking from experience here. I was the overweight daughter. By the time I turned 29, I had ballooned to 459 pounds. Then, last year, my life changed. There was no "defining momet" or anything - but I made the decision to change. Prior to this, I had done Jenny Craig, WW, Nutrisystem, Atkins, Paleo, etc. - you name it, I tried it. I couldn't make anything stick. I had no willpower or desire to change. Now, I'm 30 years old, and weigh less than I did in middle school. I don't know if you think this will help, but here's the link to my blog - it's been my journal of sorts - maybe she could identify with some of the emotions? Also, I'm always available via email (ashlwar84@gmail.com) if she ever has any questions or anything.

http://confessions-of-a-carb-o-holic.blogspot.com/2013/05/new-beginnings.html
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ironically, I'm going through the same thing you are, but backwards. My mother is overweight and refuses to acknowledge it or do anything about it. But, like everyone is saying, it will have to come to her on her own time.
  • jmancometh777
    Options
    just let her do her own thing...
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Whoah this thread makes me appreciate my parents so much more, because I feel like the quite harsh responses from some people are influenced by having parents who made negative comments about their weight.

Fortunately my own parents very VERY rarely made comments about my weight (even though I was always overweight/obese growing up) and they never made me feel less than an amazing person. They tried to get me to be more active/eat healthier but they never forced it on me (which I believe would have made me resent it).

And then when I finally did decide to lose weight it was triggered by my dad joining and diligently going to the gym!

So I agree with pretty much everyone, though I understand how difficult it must be and that you are worried about her. Just show her love and kindness and focus on setting an example. If she is going to change it needs to come from her.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Wow, way to go guys, let's ream the woman out for being worried about her daughter. Good job there are so many experts in here.

And for the people that are describing her as 'perfect' and 'fine just the way she is' Get a grip. She's very overweight, and at risk of all the health problems come along with that. You can't understand why the woman feels the need to address that with her daughter?

What do you think her doctor should do when she goes? Should her Doctor just let her be too? I'm sure she'll be a regular before long....high blood pressure, blocked arteries, coronary heart disease.

Well done MFP. Another win.

She wasn't reamed, she got a whole bunch of good advice from people who probably grew up with weight issues.

If you know a way to make other people lose weight, by all means, share it. It didn't work when my mother tried. And she tried a lot. To the point where even now when she's proud of me for losing weight I get so angry I want to binge eat and gain it back.

The reason everyone here thinks pressuring her daughter won't work is because it won't.

Agreed.

I understand if OP was looking for support but asked for advice thinking it would be the same answer, but unfortunately it is not.

People react to parental pressure in different ways, but it seems like the majority of people who have weight problems and have had it pointed out by their parents for years have found it extremely unhelpful and even psychologically harmful.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Nobody is accusing you of not wanting the best for your daughter, not being concerned for her, or anything else. Understood that you are a concerned mother. People just want you to realize that perhaps your daughter's perception is different, and speaking the truth that unless and until SHE is ready to do something about her weight, then nothing is going to happen. Even well meaning encouragement could actually hinder her getting to that point.
  • jagged95
    jagged95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    leave her alone her body is not your business she is a grown women

you have probably contributed to her feeling like massive **** about her self too btw ..so you really need to stop & be supportive of how and who she is NOW

she is okay and loved and perfect just the way she is good looorddd

Though I agree that you need to be supportive of your daughter, it's not like she is just slightly overweight and needs encouragement and told she is fine just the way she is. These are not "vanity pounds" or a "You'd be prettier if you were thinner" scenario. She is, by definition, obese at that weight and height. I'd voice your concern one final time about how her lifestyle scares you and you are worried about her heart and overall health and want to see her fulfill all of her dreams. Then leave it at that. If she comes around and does it on her own terms, then that is awesome but if not, you cannot feel responsible, at least you tired.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that you should never push her to lose. I have a close relationship to my mom. She has always been healthy and active, but I have been overweight basically my whole adult life and half of my teenage years.

It am 37 now, but finally taking charge of my health, and the remarks that had anything to do with my weight, getting healthier, what I was eating, and so on, no matter how much were meant to help, did not help. They made me feel bad about myself and angry at her and almost always led to emotional eating.

I get it. You want her to be healthy, and deep down I know that anything my mom said to me was because she cares about me and my health. It took me a lot longer than I hoped to do what I needed to do to make myself healthier. She, hopefully, will one day make changes that will help her become a healthier person.

P.S. A few years ago I got into an emotional discussion/mild argument about how her comments didn't help me. We live an hour & a half away from each other and talk every day. After that incident I refused her calls for about a month, unfortunately. When things were back to normal she never made another comment again. You have no idea how awesome it has been. I no longer worried about when some comment would come out of her mouth, even if it wasn't going to in that visit, but it was always on my mind while with her.

Now that I am losing weight the only thing she's said is "your looking healthier" and similar things without going overboard. Just love her for who she is and hopefully she'll take the steps necessary to become a healthier person.

Good luck.