Gym tells woman she's intimidating guests with 'toned body'

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I was wondering when this was going to show up. That used to be my exact gym. I don't think she was asked to cover up because she's toned, I think it's because she was showing a lot of midriff. I remember seeing a couple people (men and women) asked to cover up in my time there.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ... ahhh. Now I understand the post in the website feedback section talking about banning ab pictures.

Yup, so intimidating. How am I going to concentrate on my six hours of cardio when there's people with muscles walking around?!
  • ktkdmommy
    ktkdmommy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wonder if she was really approached that way or if she is just looking for attention.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I was wondering when this was going to show up. That used to be my exact gym. I don't think she was asked to cover up because she's toned, I think it's because she was showing a lot of midriff. I remember seeing a couple people (men and women) asked to cover up in my time there.

If that's the case, that's still ridiculous. Asking someone to cover up the midriff at the gym is like asking someone to do the same at the beach. seriously? Like the belly is something of which to be ashamed. I've seen more 'midriff' at Walmart than I've seen at the gym, for gosh' sakes.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Honestly, I wonder if she was really approached that way or if she is just looking for attention.
    Funny how that always comes up when someone fit complains of being asked to cover up, but not when someone unfit does.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    See, this is exactly what I was talking about that I got **** for. Planet Fitness does not want members to be successful. It doesn't fit their business model. Even their commercials display this attitude.

their commercials are complete BS. "Lunks" and whatnot? They basically body shame everyone who isn't a typical out of shape housewife.

Thank goodness I'm an out of shape SAHM so I can be body shamed by PF as well. :drinker:
  • BigBadDougs
    BigBadDougs Posts: 155
    Options
    If that's the case, that's still ridiculous. Asking someone to cover up the midriff at the gym is like asking someone to do the same at the beach. seriously? Like the belly is something of which to be ashamed. I've seen more 'midriff' at Walmart than I've seen at the gym, for gosh' sakes.

To be fair, most beaches don't have a dress code....
  • Chadders1981
    Chadders1981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ugh...Knew it was Planet Fitness before I read it haha.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I would have told them to go pound sand up their a ss.

I like you!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    sounds like a load of crap to me
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    PF is a joke...................
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Eh, if this is the case, a dress code is a dress code. A lot of gyms require people to wear shirts (and not sports bras or whatever).
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't post often but I have to raise the BS flag. I doubt they called her out on her toned body. They probably told her she wasn't complying the the dress code and if a gym has a dress code (which she admitted she was breaking) abide by it or find some place else. She got offended and thought she would get a little fame for it. I am not at PF anymore but when I was I appreciated their dress code. I don't need to see a bunch of half neked 15 year olds like I did at Golds Gym. I would like to here the real story. Think about it.

I am in by no mean a supporter of PF. I left cause that stupid lunk alarm gave me a heart attack every morning.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is why i dislike planet fitness. the only one i've been too was just a giant hamster wheel with two floors of cardio equipment. the weight machines were in the basement, and the only barbells were on smith machines, and not even the better smith machines, the smith machines that only went vertically, not horizontally.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    OK so my gym has a dress code, sports bras and cut offs or a no -no. Not sure if Planet has that policy or not and granted they may have went about it wrong, but possibly if they do have the policy, maybe the employee was trying to offer a compliment while trying to tell her to put some clothes on?
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    How did I know this was planet fitness before clicking this thread....

Bunch of judgemental jealous embracers of mediocrity. Thankfully we have PF to corral them in one spot and out of other gyms
  • mccindy72
    Options
    When I went to Gold's Gym, one of the trainers would run on the the treadmill frequently while I was on the stairclimber nearby. She ran in shorts and a sports bra/halter. She had very nice physique with defined abs and I felt inspired by seeing her workout. She ran for over an hour each day, and other times I'd see her down in the weights. Seeing her and the other trainers was inspirational. Gyms with dress codes, that advertise against "lunks" and fit people working out there, do nothing but fight against this type of inspiration and keep those who might find a way to work a bit harder from doing so. The human body is nothing to be ashamed of and places like planet fitness need to stop doing what they're doing to promote such shaming.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    jimgaffigan.jpg
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    jimgaffigan.jpg

The rest of that whole routine is awesome. One of my all time faves
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't like the idea of telling people how they should look while they are working out or that they're too fit. Great for them. But I certainly understand the sentiment behind it. I know some of you say it motivates you, but it doesn't motivate others. I always felt uncomfortable around people in peak physical condition. It made me feel bad about myself. Instead of inspiring me, it demoralized me. I ended up just quitting and work out now at home and around the neighborhood and I feel much more comfortable and as a result, I'm doing better. Maybe when I get down to a weight that I don't feel ashamed of, I will join a gym again. Until then, it's just not a healthy place for me.

Also, those of you say it is promoting mediocrity, don't know what you are talking about. These people are working hard to be like you. I can tell you from personal experience, that when I was fit and running distance in high school and college, I didn't work as hard as I am now, trying to lose weight while being in piss poor conditioning.