WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just bumping right now, it has been a very rainy, gloomy day but looks like it is finally clearing up. I need to run errands when I get off work, getting gas being the first one. I need to work out as I haven't really had much chance to this week. Since I work at night as my second job at the Y, and have been working extra days, I really don't want to go today. I was there Sunday, Monday and yesterday, and I work again tomorrow and Friday. I need a day away so I need to work out at home with DVD's or maybe the WII.
    I can't wait to get out of here (my first job) and hope to sit down and catch up on posts tonight.
    Good health to all,
    Patty, Cincinnati
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    supermom would it help if you taped a picture of what you want to look like or a really bad picture of what you did look like, or maybe a very serene scene in front of the scales. You will eventually be like a lot of us are doing, doing a happy dance and feel like you want to lean down and kiss those scales. I HATE my plateaus and it seems like they come more often as I get closer to my goal but I have learned that 'this to shall pass'.

Oh, yes, putting these pounds on was very nice, fun and whatever you can use to describe it. I can look back to some of those times and smile about the memories. Yep, had fun. Is it fun now. I don't think I can truthfully say that it isn't fun because of all the things I have learned about myself. I never knew I could accomplish some of the things I am doing and I am trying to be a role model to both my daughters, sister, niece, and brothers. It would really be fun to see them jump on this bank wagon. It really doesn't bother me that much to see what my husband puts on his plate now, unless it is chocolate or a desert of some kind. Oh, and macaroni and cheese.

Will be going to the funeral home tonight. The old church I went to and quit attending and had this huge guilt complex about myself, one of the charter members died. He was pretty old, lived a wonderful and full life and will welcome seeing Heaven. A couple of months ago I wouldn't have the emotional strength to go and inevitably see so many people that I would feel awkward seeing. But since I was able to let go of that burdening guilt and join another church I know that I can go and enjoy seeing these people. I was a very active member of that church, choir, childrens choir and other activities and then it became so easy to just say my MS was bothering me. One week gone became 2 weeks, then a month and it was harder and harder to get up and I eventually just quit trying.

Love you guys, talk later. Joyce, Indiana
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I last posted, I was busy eating a packet of candy and feeling sorry for myself. Thank you for all of the encouraging words. Things are still a mess, but I have a better grip on them now, and on myself. I did limit it to just the one packet, which I logged, so didn’t do much damage in the long run. That’s certainly an improvement over past years, so I must be learning something!

I’m happy to say that the scale finally moved again after a 6 week hiatus. I’ve lost another 2 lbs., which was the mini-goal that I had set for myself before leaving for Mexico again next week. Hooray! I think what finally broke my stalemate with the scale was that I stopped eating my exercise calories this last week or so. I’ve resolved to try to do a bit better with eating on this trip. It’s difficult to make very healthy choices, as I’m very sensitive to the water. If I eat a fruit or vegetable that wasn’t washed in filtered water, I’m sick for the rest of the trip. That makes me very leery of any form of salad, lettuce on a sandwich, etc. I seem to eat a lot of protein and a few french fries when I’m there. I have toast for breakfast and sometimes make a turkey sandwich for lunch in the condo, but we always have dinner out. My attempts at actual cooking there haven’t been very successful – sea level seems to affect the temperatures and the way things cook. I try once or twice on every trip, so maybe I’ll get the hang of it eventually! We’re taking our son and two of his friends this time, as they’re on spring break.

I get to meet Texas Gal, Teral, on Friday while she’s visiting Denver, so I’m looking forward to that!

I finally started reading “The Happyness Project,” long recommended by Barbie! I’m almost half-way through.

Sylvia – Thank you for the penguin joke – I needed a good laugh!

Pat – What gorgeous trees!
    Katia – Children are so precious, and 3 is a great age!

DeeDee – Your driveway must to absolutely gorgeous, if Pat’s photo is anything to judge by!

Jane in Colorado
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: I love your idea of looking at this journey as “constant kindness.” I’ve never put it into those exact words, but they speak to the core of what I’m trying to do for myself, too.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I love what you re doing with your son’s children to help them prepare for the future. It is a good idea to know whether they have a health worry or a “get out of jail free” card. I hope the term is not offensive. Loved the joke, too. Poor goat. 101 is an impressive number.:flowerforyou:

Rita: I’m glad you’re still around. Sorry about the so-so situation and I hope it improves, but it surely beats falling clear off the wagon and down the slippery slope.:flowerforyou:

53Supermom: I’m sure Jesus wants us all to be healthy and would encourage you to continue using MFP for your health. The scale just measures weight, not personal value. You are valuable and worth the effort it takes to get healthy.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: Thanks for your sympathy. I think you do know how I feel.:flowerforyou:

We’re on our way home! Tonight we’re back in WY and were able to get DH’s lost pillow back. There is quite a bit of daylight left and we could keep going but we’re tired. There was some significant wind crossing WY, as well as ice in many places along the freeway. We’ll have dinner here and head toward SIL’s house in the morning after we’re rested. We plan to stay a couple of days if things are not too hectic. SIL’s daughter and two of her grandkids will be there for Spring Break. I hope to have a pleasant visit and then head home. I’ve been away long enough.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Oh Heather, I can't think worse. Your "going out" took MUCH more courage and strength than mine. I did, however, survive and it felt pretty good, for the most part.

Had to take my poor boy back to the dentist to get another tooth pulled. Poor kid has not had a baby tooth come out on it's own. Hope that changes soon. The tooth fairy pays double for teeth taken by the dentist and momma gives a little bravery gift.

My T25 arrived today! If I want to follow the calendar I have to wait until Monday to start. It also asks for weekly weigh ins and measurements. Still chewing on that but it might be a good thing. Time to see if Shaun T can measure up to menopause!

Still not eating how I should be but I'm MUCH more on track than I was for the previous few weeks. Might be ready to start logging food again on Monday as well.

Strength, confidence and peace to all!

Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    'Night everybody; sleep well.

Cynthia
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Last nt was my once a month no sleep. Hate it,but am used to it. Odd,will be Sooo sleepy,but the minute my head hits the pillow,I'm wide awake.
    Last time I saw the time,was 2 am,then making tea at 5am.
    Took a 1/2 hr nap after lunch.Will be an early nt for me.

Quite a few posters mentioned wt gain that started with menopause. Been there for sure.
    I gained wt,gained 10 yrs of migraines,ruined a couple mattresses. Neither Mom,aunts or MIL ever had the 1st problem with menopause.Don 't know why I was elected.:grumble:

Losing has been a puzzle:explode: one day up/then down/ then nothing.Wt loves me & wants me to leave it alone!!

Someone mentioned being kinder to their self.Have come to that point myself.What will be,will be. Pat in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    well just chatted with my SIL, and as I knew my FIL has pneumonia,she brought him to the Dr and the Dr cant force him to go to the Hospital so she got meds and brought him home...
    I am going over tomorrow and hopefully talk him into going to the hospital. they both yell at each other, but I will be sweet as pie and that usually works..
    I dont want this poor man dying because he is getting insufficent care...
    I am laying low as my DH is upset, so will not say much...
    went over 15,000 steps today,but was bad and had peanut m&ms...
    now have a tummy ache so having peppermint tea..
    will check in in the am before I go over..
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful evening everyone. Hope all get to sleep well tonight.

Cindy in OK :yawn:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I keep hitting the wrong key and losing my posts! Don't you just love computers!

Loved the blossom trees! It reminds me of my dad (84) who told his damson tree last year that he was chopping it down in the spring! This week it has the most beautiful blossoms it looks like it is covered in snow. I'm not sure if it has earned it's reprieve!

I do love daffodil and forsythia time! All the yellow feels like the world is waking up! I had blue pansies in my wall tubs last year - and they've started flowering this week! I'll just refresh the compost and leave them for this year!

We are working on our routine for our dog display team for this summer's displays! My doodles are really not getting it! Cone, walk round the cone! Not touch the cone or lie by the cone! Walk round the cone! It isn't really that difficult, is it! Our first display is in 3 weeks! One good thing - I've had to take in the strap of my 'dog bag' that goes round my waist for training - even for over my rainjacket! Small victories matter!

I really must start my C25K in preparation of the 5k Race for Life in July. My sister has issued the challenge! The weather is better so week one from the weekend... I'll report on how it goes!

Hugs to those whose 'huggability coefficient' needs upping and congrats for small victories.

MA in UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Oh MA In UK!! I could loan you Levi, he would not walk around the cone or lay by the cone - He would take the cone and run like the wind! finally coming back wanting to pay tug of war with you and the cone! And if he didn't run with the cone he'd pee on it! I am smiling just imaging you and your doodles !!!

Perfect timing I've been dealing with a whiny client.... so I needed a smile.

Oh well, off to figure out whats for dinner - lots of choices today and lots of calories! Love Dinner time with choices!

Kim in N. Cal
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This week on DWTS we divided our votes up among 5 teams but there may be one or two more that we like. They are all very likeable although several are clearly not very strong dancers. In seasons past, I’ve been surprised in the past by someone who made great strides after a few weeks.

:flowerforyou: We had lots of wind today. Sasha doesn’t like the wind so there wasn’t as much dog walking today as I was willing to do. We learned a great new dance this morning in class but learning something difficult is exhausting and I came home tired and hungry. Fortunately Jake was busy cooking lunch----hot dogs, buns, onions, sauerkraut, and baked beans. My hot dog was a turkey dog and my bun was whole wheat. Too much sodium but a change of pace for us. After eating lunch and watching some TV, I spent time practicing the new dance I learned this morning and the dances for the class I’ll teach on Friday. Later I I rode the exercise bike some more and watched TV with Jake.

:flowerforyou: There aren’t a lot of flowers blooming here beyond daffodils, but I love watching the tiny leaf buds on trees and bushes get a little bigger each day.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I start each day with entries in my gratitude journal and it helps me focus on what is right in my world.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 19,000 steps today ---strength training----exercise bike
    “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,363 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of yoga this morning then took the deep water class. Then a little food shoppping just for the things I needed that were on sale (and I may have had a coupon for) This afternoon off to senior bowling and then tonight is Newcomers bowling. I usually take some sort of baked good to the guy who is at the bowling alley when we go and I totally forgot to make something. Thank goodness I had a pumpkin bread in the freezer so I took that out and defrosted it. I'll give some to him, some to the people where I take the extremepump class, and give some to the Y. I'd like to make more of the zucchini apple muffins, if anything to have them in the freezer.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred DVD. I usually do all three levels. Then I volunteer at the Green Room. On the way home I'll stop at one store on my way since they have asparagus at a decent price.

katla - drive safely.

kay - you're certainly keeping yourself busy!

DeeDee - I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's mother.

Margaret - glad you got a good night's sleep

Sylvia - yea you got the beds put together!

lbwhitley - welcome!

kim - it never ceases to amaze me how my body gets used to decent food and really rebels when it's given not-so-decent food.

Rita - I really think that exercise is the best med for stress and depression

supermom - welcome. I've given up eating after dinner for Lent. I know that eating late at night isn't good for me, and I will say to myself "if Jesus can die for me, surely I can give up eating for Him". So far, working so-so. A few years ago I gave up white flour because I was a maniac with the breadbasket, after the 40 days I no longer craved the breadbasket. I'm hoping the same thing happens with the eating after dinner stuff. Take your measurements that's a better indicator, anyway of your progress

Joyce - so sorry about your friend. Glad you can go to the funeral

jane - when are we gonna get pics??????

So sorry this is so short, need to get to Newcomer bowling.

Alison - prayers for you FIL and you that you are able to convince him to get the help he needs

MA - congrats on having to take in the "dog bag"

Just got back from the Newcomer bowling. Am pretty tired.

Michele in NC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone; Hope everyone will do something nice for themselves today! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Plucked up the courage to weigh myself today, having hopefully shed most of the water weight. Up by a lb and a half.:cry: So I shall just keep going on the old routine and hope to shed it by April 2nd when we have our outing in the E type jag. Want to feel my best.:happy:

I've bought some round zucchini so will be stuffing them for supper with meat sauce, which is already made. I have a doctor's appointment at 4.10, about my knee, so will have them all prepared and ready to bake when I get back.

Feeling a bit blah. :ohwell: I think it's because I haven't seen the grandchildren for over a month. I think they are trying to get the house renovations finished before they ask us up to show us, and because , now they've got a new nanny, they don't need us to babysit.:cry: I am missing them. Must get in touch with some friends and relations. It is so easy to let things slide and let time go by. We think a lot about DH'S nephew and his wife. She hasn't posted on Facebook for ages and she's normally on there all the time. :brokenheart:

I expect I will snap out of it soon. Self compassion required. When I get like this I feel no one wants to know me. Complete rubbish of course, so I just need to reach out to people.

Love to all. It's going to get colder for the weekend. We have had such a glorious March.

Heather in Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    well no matter what I am doing lately even with over 15,000 im not losing the weight,I am getting very frustrated but not giving up, everytime things even out, then all hell brakes loose.
    I will be spending most of the day at the hospital with my FIL if I can talk him into going, his sister is in there right now,so maybe that will be insentive.
    well will try and catch up while im sitting and waiting
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies

I had the most amazing time in Germany with my DD and the most beautiful Elli granddaughter. So hard for me to come home without them.

Last night my sister, DD#1 and my 9 year old niece had a box at the ballet. We saw Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake. It's my second time of seeing it - first time was at Sadler's Wells. For anyone who doesn't know, the swans are all male. It is truly outstanding. I love classical ballet, which this is definitely not, but I could watch it over and over again.

The only problem was, I had to go straight from work and didn't eat so got home and felt decidedly weak. Must be kinder to myself today.

And now, I must work.

Have a great day my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Deedee :drinker:

Working is feast or famine. Right now it is feast, so I am needing to get ready for work.

For all going through a hard time hugs and prayers.:flowerforyou: Thank you to those sharing your joys.:smile: The tree pictures are stunning and brightened my day.:love: Sylvia sharing your jokes brings a touch of humor that is always welcome.:laugh:

Goal:
    To take care of me today,so I have a healthier tomorrow and can be there for those I love.
    Be gentle with myself today.
    2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Gloria :smile: Good for you getting out:flowerforyou: . I know when my hubby died it was so hard to go out, I had this horrible feeling everyone was staring at me:blushing: . The first time I went to the grocery store, I went to one I had never been to before….sending you a hug, you`ve been through a lot!!! When my daughter was young, her baby teeth wanted to stay too, we made several visits to the dentist, her daughters baby teeth have just popped out on their own. The 7yr. old just lost one not long ago. Good luck with the T25!!!

Heather :smile: I know the “strange new world” all too well:ohwell: !!! Hope you appt. for you knee goes well!!! I`ve been in a “strange” little mood the last several days:grumble: , I blame it on the weather we`ve had…cold, icy and icky…I`m so tired of it I could scream!!!(Where is the screaming icon when you need it:laugh: )

Margaret :smile: Coffee:drinker: and water:drinker: !!! I have tart cherry juice, I`ve not tried it yet though. I really don`t have a problem sleeping (thank goodness), I bought it because I love cherries!

Cindy in OK :smile: I love the “list”!!! I have a gratitude journal I write in every night! I`m excited about your kitchen redo, I want to hear all about it, then I`ll decide if I`m ready to take the plunge and redo mine:tongue: !!! Michele inspired me one year and I redid all of my landscape lighting:love: !!!

Beth :smile: Zumba moves:laugh: ! I`m not feeling the motivation to work today:noway: (it is the first day of spring and it`s supposed to be in the high 60`s today, I might play hooky in the afternoon:bigsmile: !).

Tammy :smile: Menopause:angry: …ACK…..yes, eat less, move more…it`s horrible!!! My mid section decided to expand:huh: , I never had a problem with that before and it is stubborn and not wanting to go anywhere, however I`m more stubborn:tongue: !!!

Pat :smile: It was your pic of the tree, gorgeous:love: !!!!! I agree with you about losing weight…up, down, up, down, I`ve felt like I`ve been on a rollercoaster for a long time:sad: !!!

Jb :smile: I love “constant kindness”:love: !!! I think our thoughts certainly make a difference!!!

Sylvia :smile: Hoping you get good results on all the tests:flowerforyou: !!! Love the joke:laugh: !

Jane Martin :smile: Pj day sounds wonderful!!!

Trojanmom5 :smile: Keep popping in here! You`ll find lots of support!!

Ibwhitley :smile: Welcome! Good that you`re not hating on your trainer:laugh: !!! Logging food really helps you realize just what you`re putting into body!

Kim in N. Cal :smile: Funny how our body lets us know it doesn`t like things it used to like:sick: !!! Hope your tummy is feeling better:flowerforyou: ! Levi would pee on the cone:laugh: :laugh: !

Rita :smile: Hope the stress lets up soon:flowerforyou: !!!

53supermom :smile: There a lot of ways to measure success without a scale!!! Measurements…you need to do those!! I would also say get on the scale, see the number, it is what it is, and only you can change it, once you know where you are, you can make a plan:flowerforyou: ! If you want it bad enough, you`ll put the work into getting it:bigsmile: !!!

Vicki :smile: One page at a time, good way to let things go:flowerforyou: !!!

Patty :smile: I`m so tired of rainy, gloomy days:frown: …hope the sun is shining on you today:glasses: !!!

Joyce :smile: What a wonderful extra that has happened from losing weight…getting to know yourself better:heart: !!! Sorry to hear about your church member passing away:flowerforyou: !

Jane Hadji :smile: Yay for the 2 pounds gone:bigsmile: !!! Have a wonderful time in Mexico!!! When the trees bloom (if they do) I`ll post a pic of them, it really is beautiful:love: !

Katla :smile: Have a safe trip!!!

Alison :smile: Pneumonia is nothing to fool around with, hope you can convince you FIL to go to the hospital:flowerforyou: ! Plateaus are not fun:angry: ….I`ve been in plateau land for a long time:sad: ! My Dr. says to keep on trying, one of these days my body will decide to shed some more weight! I am trying a few different things, it anything works I`ll let you know!!!

MA :smile: Sounds like the tree heard your dad and decided to be on it`s best behavior this year:laugh: ! Hope you can convince the doodles to go around the cone…Noel wouldn`t touch it or go around it:noway: , she would just stand there and bark at it until I moved it:laugh: ! Congrats on your “dog bag” being too big:bigsmile: !!!

Barbie :smile: Noel isn`t very fond of the wind either. I`ve noticed if it`s really windy she sneezes a lot. I love it when the buds are just starting to open on the trees, you have that gorgeous faint green glow:love: !

Michele :smile: Gracious girl, I get tired just reading about all you do:yawn: ! I think I would need a nap!!

Cynthia :smile: I agree, we each need to do something nice for ourselves:flowerforyou: !! I think I will play hooky this afternoon:bigsmile: !

Amanda :smile: So glad you got to spend some time with your new granddaughter Elli:love: !!! The ballet sounds beautiful! I go to a few ballets every year. We have the most amazing School of the Arts here….very very talented people!!!

Well, here it is after 8am already:noway: ! Where does my morning go:huh: ? The sun is shining this morning, something we haven`t seen in awhile:bigsmile: !!! Have a wonderful first day of spring ladies:flowerforyou: !! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunshiny NC:glasses:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! The kitchen project is going great. I hope it is done by Tuesday.

Barbie, I love DWTS too! Keeping a gratitude journal is so good for you, it does keep your mind on the positive. Our tendency is toward negative thoughts. I also keep my exposure to the news stories to a minimum. Hubby loves the news, so he watches it in the sunroom when I prepare dinner. :smile:

Michele, I love your yoga practice and your workouts rock!

Alison, prayers to you and your FIL.

Amanda, the ballet sounds wonderful. I love musical theatre, but have never seen the ballet.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Cindy in OK.