News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This is why I workout at home and will invest the 800$ a year for a family membership in bigger and better equipment for my home.

I mean if someone with fat hanging out was asked to cover up lawsuit.

If I intimidate people by looking better than they do or by being more fit than they are or AMG NOOOOOOOOOO dropping a heavy weight on the floor then that person needs to grow a freakin spine.

Jim Jefferies is so right....

Oh and I pulled my son out of baseball because there were no strikes, no outs and everyone got a turn...WTF is that...

Yes this society of "everyone wins" is gonna be the end of western civilization and those countries that still believe there are winners and losers will rule.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone mad that Planet Fitness stood behind their dress code? Everyone hates PF, I get it, but they have a policy -- don't like their policy, go somewhere else.

Do I think it is foolish? Absolutely. Do I want to run in sweats and a baggy t-shirt? Nope.... so I run outside, or elsewhere. It really doesn't matter why they have the policy -- whether it is a good/bad decision on their part -- or whether people like it or don't. If you are going to have a policy that p!sses people off -- I guess I'd rather you enforce it for everyone. IMO.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

Lol. The new Taliban of fitness.

First, they came for your dead lifts. Next, they came for the squat rack. Now, they're after your tank tops. It's time for all good fitness enthusiasts to stand up and be counted, or else next they'll be coming for our oly bars and we'll all be in trouble!
    I think you mean....

First they came for the meatheads, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a meathead.

Then they came for the lunks, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a lunk.

Then they came for the bare bellies, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a bare bellies.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.

Yes. Yes, I did. I like your version better. lol
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is going for the niche - people who only want to do the bare minimum to be average.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Yes this society of "everyone wins" is gonna be the end of western civilization and those countries that still believe there are winners and losers will rule.
    I, for one,welcome our "lack of participation trophy" overlords
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.
    Are you intimidated when at the beach and someone looks better than you?
    Are you initimidated when driving through a nicer neighborhood with bigger houses than yours?
    Are you initimidated when some hangs adnvanced degrees on their office walls?
    Where does the initimidation end? Are you constantly initimidated by life?

the answer to all of that is probably 'yes'!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Had a feeling it might be Planet Fitness.

If you feel intimidated by someone showing off a fit body, that's your problem, not theirs! It's a gym for god's sake, while I like to cover up more, I can understand other people may want to wear less when you're getting all hot and sweaty. I don't see anything inappropriate about what that woman was wearing, a woman was wearing less at my gym yesterday!

The stupid thing with PF, is that they try to be all inclusive, and non judgemental. However, in the process they're being judgemental to the very people who take their health and fitness seriously!

I wonder if most normal gyms would tolerate an obese person walking around with very little on. It'd be a fun social experiment. I bet it would attract a lot of negative looks from the super fit crowd. Probably wouldn't take long for management to tell the person to cover up their fat because it's bad for business.

Meh, not really. When I joined my gym 60ish pounds ago, I wore low cut tight tank tops and occasionally really short shorts. No one seemed to bat an eye.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone mad that Planet Fitness stood behind their dress code? Everyone hates PF, I get it, but they have a policy -- don't like their policy, go somewhere else.

Do I think it is foolish? Absolutely. Do I want to run in sweats and a baggy t-shirt? Nope.... so I run outside, or elsewhere. It really doesn't matter why they have the policy -- whether it is a good/bad decision on their part -- or whether people like it or don't. If you are going to have a policy that p!sses people off -- I guess I'd rather you enforce it for everyone. IMO.

for me, its not the fact that PF have a dress code, its the REASON for their dress code...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you can't wear tank tops than wtf can you wear? What the hell kinda dress code doesn't allow tank tops?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I hate Planet Fitness's business model and policies. They are ridiculous.

However, this kind of publicity is exactly what they want.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.
    Are you initimidated when driving through a nicer neighborhood with bigger houses than yours?

Meh, people with big houses are usually more intimidated by the people in small dumpy houses. That's why when they try to put up affordable housing near those big houses everyone goes bonkers and says "not in my neighborhood!" Happens all the time in my city. It's common for the elites to feel like everyone should be elite and that only other elites need be around them.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Stupid **** happens, just other people feeling inadequate...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

So, if the rules are foolish you think they should be followed. Makes sense.
    And dumb rules should be enforced strictly. <nods>

You'll fit right in.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we are now living in a world where we have to hide our success because any and everything offends someone else and hurts their feelings.

I couldn't agree more with this response.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Meh, people with big houses are usually more intimidated by the people in small dumpy houses. That's why when they try to put up affordable housing near those big houses everyone goes bonkers and says "not in my neighborhood!" Happens all the time in my city. It's common for the elites to feel like everyone should be elite and that only other elites need be around them.

Public housing brings down property value. If I paid a crap ton to live in some fancy area in a fancy house I'd like the area to retain it's value and protesting things that are known to bring down value isn't a matter of intimidation, it's common sense.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If you can't wear tank tops than wtf can you wear? What the hell kinda dress code doesn't allow tank tops?

Purple burkhas?
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Public housing brings down property value. If I paid a crap ton to live in some fancy area in a fancy house I'd like the area to retain it's value and protesting things that are known to bring down value isn't a matter of intimidation, it's common sense.

^ And this is why I can't afford to live on Beacon Hill (nice Boston), while knowing people who live off of wellfare and are able to live in high-rise apartments and condos. Oh, 2,400 a month won't cut it for me? I have to live an hour out of the city and commute? Oh, okay, enjoy paying 400 dollars a month, people who don't work >>

Also how does TANKTOP intimidate anyone?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And crime. Don't forget the perceived fear of crime.

Like that toned woman, I think she might steal my cookies. She's hangry enough to go on tv. Keep her away from my cookies.
    Does planet fitness have cookies? I'd go to a gym that gave free cookies.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    PF
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    "it's unfair to show off your body" because it can make other people feel bad.

I have no words. This is the stupidest thing I have ever read.