News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• pmbdavis1992
    Options
    It doesn't really matter if it's her issue. If the rules of the gym are to not wear certain clothes, then abide by the rules or find somewhere else simple as.
    And it's not just her issue, many people find it intimidating when they're just starting out to getting fit and everyone else is walking around showing everything off, it's only natural to feel that way
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone mad that Planet Fitness stood behind their dress code? Everyone hates PF, I get it, but they have a policy -- don't like their policy, go somewhere else.

Do I think it is foolish? Absolutely. Do I want to run in sweats and a baggy t-shirt? Nope.... so I run outside, or elsewhere. It really doesn't matter why they have the policy -- whether it is a good/bad decision on their part -- or whether people like it or don't. If you are going to have a policy that p!sses people off -- I guess I'd rather you enforce it for everyone. IMO.

So, if the rules are foolish you think they should be followed. Makes sense.
    And dumb rules should be enforced strictly. <nods>

You'll fit right in.

You missed the point entirely. The rules are foolish, but the business has a right to a dress code, do they not? Other businesses do. Such as, no shirt, no shoes, no service. Planet Fitness is a joke, I've heard horror stories all of the time. The main target is for uncomfortable overweight individuals who want to change, and what better place to go than Planet Fitness, where you have to be covered up and follow their procedures? Some people enjoy it, and the rest of us don't really understand why. But a policy is a policy, and you can't be shocked when you don't follow it and they say "You have to." That's stupid. And it's okay to say their rules are ridiculous, they clearly don't go there. Does that make more sense to you now?
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    They are trying to bring in the more casual people.. the people that are overweight & don't want to be judged.

I think this http://www.artfire.com/uploads/product/4/314/69314/7769314/7769314/large/shredz_i_work_out_men_s_tank_top_-_large_-_gym_-_workout__3808ec4e.jpg is more along the lines of what they are trying to avoid, in addition to guys that can lift 400lbs, then throw them on the ground so everyone can hear they just lifted it.

I personally think the lady's outfit was completely acceptable, but apparently those at the gym disagree.

You know, if someone's lifting 400 lbs they're probably not dropping the weight to show off how badass they are -- they're probably dropping it so they don't pop a disc on they way back to the ground.
  • rdeysher
    rdeysher Posts: 22
    Options
    When I see someone at the gym that looks great, I take that and use it as inspiration for myself. I love seeing other people that look great and are working out at the gym and doing things to better themselves. By seeing them, it gives me hope that I will be able to get to that point one day myself. I don't feel intimidated - I feel hopeful! :)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

Seriously? They are just generating a stereotype on the opposite end of the spectrum. A stereotype where you're not allowed to train hard or be in shape. It's ridiculous. The type of attitude that they perpetuate in their patrons is the same attitude that got their patrons fat and out of shape to begin with. It's disgraceful.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The gym to which I belong requires all people to wear clothes that cover their midriff. Women do not wear sports bras, and men don't go shirtless. In fact, women are required to wear a one-piece swim suit in the pool. I don't remember anyone telling me that when I joined, but I saw how others were dressed and followed that standard. I asked about it later when I went to the pool and had a 2-piece that covered everything. I think it makes sense to have a dress code like that. I doubt the woman was "too toned." She likely was not adhering to the gym dress code.

But are tank tops allowed?
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness: Where fitness is just an idea.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is absurd. I am a PF member, I am not int he best shape ever, but I go, and I do my thing.

I personally love it when fit people are there, in clothing that emphasizes their fitness.

Not because I'm a perv (maybe a little because I'm a perv), but because they inspire me.

"I am here because I want arms lilke THAT."
    "I am doing this because I want to wear THAT, and not feel flabby"

People are WAY to oversensitive, and need to stop penalizing the people who are willing to put in their time.

Sheesh.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Don't forget: This is the "gym" that has pizza night for its members. The last thing they want is a member who's actually fit.

I feel bad for the people who don't have anyplace else near them to work out. The PF near me is $30 per month; my *great* gym (LVAC, which is much better equipped) is only $12.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    planet fitness is freakin weird. i got mad one day when i waited about 45 minutes for this hoard of people to stop tag-teaming all the squat racks, that i took a drive to the newly opened planet fitness nearby. i didn't know anything about it. it was a giant room full of cardio equipment, and some other smaller areas for some circuit crap. the guy showing me around made it a big deal to tell me about their "judgement free" policies.

And they didn't have any barbells. Just smith machines. Which he told me "is the same thing". er..no.

Here's a paste from their website:

"our Judgement Free Zone® philosophy, which means members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude that exists in too many gyms. "

I guess her outfit was to "look at me"? But sorry...isn't that the point of working out? atleast one of the points? to look good!? i was creeped out by the whole place. bunch of pansies if you ask me.

i ended up driving back to my small, independently owned gym and finished my workout.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I guess there's not much to their no judgment zone :happy: I wear much less than that when I run outside in the summer and I also run in shorts and a sports bra on the TM at the gym. I'm sure there are people that don't like it but they can get over it! What she was wearing was perfectly acceptable unless your being judged by those that are jealous of what you've accomplished! She's hot and their not, there is the real problem :wink:
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.
    Are you intimidated when at the beach and someone looks better than you?
    Are you initimidated when driving through a nicer neighborhood with bigger houses than yours?
    Are you initimidated when some hangs adnvanced degrees on their office walls?
    Where does the initimidation end? Are you constantly initimidated by life?

Meh, people with big houses are usually more intimidated by the people in small dumpy houses. That's why when they try to put up affordable housing near those big houses everyone goes bonkers and says "not in my neighborhood!" Happens all the time in my city. It's common for the elites to feel like everyone should be elite and that only other elites need be around them.

Public housing brings down property value. If I paid a crap ton to live in some fancy area in a fancy house I'd like the area to retain it's value and protesting things that are known to bring down value isn't a matter of intimidation, it's common sense.

And crime. Don't forget the perceived fear of crime.

Like that toned woman, I think she might steal my cookies. She's hangry enough to go on tv. Keep her away from my cookies.
    Does planet fitness have cookies? I'd go to a gym that gave free cookies.

I was just making the point that when people who are successful segregate themselves no one has a problem with it. A gym like PF opens up and people freak out (hello, McFly, just don't join). You see this at restaurants too. Some places require ties or jackets. Sometimes it's even simpler. I worked at the mall years ago and after 8pm the Dave and Busters that was attached started requiring polo shirts. It was to keep the teens out. Some would even come in our store to buy shirts. Is it only OK to have rules like this in place when you're trying to keep what is percieved to be lower end demographic out? Serious question.

Yes, it is ok. In this country, instead of people just simply not going where they aren't welcome, they have to be made to stay away in round about ways. This is the system that was created. If you'd like to revert back to just saying "No _________(insert whatever demographic fits) Allowed" then I am all for it, but society won't have it. How else are you supposed to keep people you don't want around you out, other than give them the left handed turn down?
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Read the last comment in the last few seconds.

Planet Fitness has a dress code.

You don't like it or don't want to abide by it?

Don't join a Planet Fitness.

While I don't agree with the dress code, its not our call to make.

+1000

Rules are rules. Maybe join Gold's?

Yup rules are rules...regardless of how stupid they are...

never mind what they undermind...I mean I can think of a lot of rules that were stupid and have since been abolished..oh like women couldn't vote...
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone mad that Planet Fitness stood behind their dress code? Everyone hates PF, I get it, but they have a policy -- don't like their policy, go somewhere else.

Do I think it is foolish? Absolutely. Do I want to run in sweats and a baggy t-shirt? Nope.... so I run outside, or elsewhere. It really doesn't matter why they have the policy -- whether it is a good/bad decision on their part -- or whether people like it or don't. If you are going to have a policy that p!sses people off -- I guess I'd rather you enforce it for everyone. IMO.

Stupid rules aside, what they told her when she signed up was that string tanks weren't allowed. They didn't tell her about no midriff tops, no tanks at all - she came in wearing something she thought was acceptable, she agreed to wear a shirt when she was informed it was a problem, and she still was harassed because the employees didn't communicate with each other. I take major issue with that.
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was a member of PF; the sad thing about this story is that this so called "dress code" is not always enforced. The staff picks and chooses people to harass instead of it being a standard across the board........Notice I said, WAS a member :noway:
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me! Our local PF serves pizza and soft drinks the first monday of every month!
    Go figure
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Has anybody else noticed that the lady was wearing both her earing's in just the one ear - I think that should be the story here.

Personally I didn't see any issue with what see was wearing (normal attire for the gym I go to).

But if there is a dress code as someone mentioned and she signed up to say she would abide by that then the gym would have a right to ask her to respect the T&C's.

That being said, if the gyms T&C's are so strict that 3/4 joggers and a tank top are not allowed - find another gym, that one is just to prudish.
  • Thencalisays
    Thencalisays Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    yes! This quote really bothers me. Borges says, "it's unfair to show off your body" because it can make other people feel bad. Maybe you should stop acting like a victim, "I feel bad because that person is fit"? what? Why not be motivated? I just don't understand these policy's, after getting threatened for doing dead lifts when I was there checking out the gym with a friend, I said, thank you but no thank you. Not once did I set off the lunk alarm or was I lifting a crazy amount of weights and letting them crash around. It's just silly.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness and I'm looking to switch gyms because they only have Smith machines and I can't do Stronglifts 5x5 there.

Having said that, at $10/month, it is a GREAT gym for people new to exercise who want a low-key atmosphere, and people who have a very limited budget for a gym membership. I see mixed bag at my gym - huge, buffed out guys, college kids, elderly people, and people of various shapes and sizes.

I have never heard a "lunk alarm" go off and have heard lots of people drop weights and groan with exertion, most especially me.

I don't think that woman was dressed inappropriately, but apparently belly shirts aren't allowed.