Does anyone else have crap genetics?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

No one is saying she isn't working hard enough. All anyone is saying is that her attitude towards her own particular set of circumstances isn't very productive.

Really? The didn't? Did you read the thread?

Yes, I did. I believe you misinterpretted the message. Did you read the thread?
    Here's a thought? Stop worrying about genetics and the effect they have on your physical appearance. it does sound a bit petty and silly. If you eat right and work out, you can be fit and healthy. And you can learn to be happy with how you look, and love your best self.
    Make the best of what you have, and if small breasts are the worst of it, be very thankful.
    Complaining about your body type is like complaining about the weather. You can't change it, so why bother? What you can do is work on accepting yourself as you are, while making what you have the best it can be. Yes, it's hard, it is hard for everyone, even those whose body type you wish you had. You wouldn't be happier if you magically had a bigger chest and a smaller butt (or whatever).

I actually went back through the thread and didn't see where a single person said that OP was lazy or not working hard enough... so...
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Nice excuse OP, but I hate to break it to you, you're not special, you're just not working as hard as you could. Stop looking for reasons as to why you can't be better, and just put in the work TO be better.

Rigger

[/quote]

"Work at what, exactly? Lots of exercise to combat your overeating, or are your ancestors actually holding you down and shoving food in your mouth? "

----
    The 2nd one is also a quote, that for some reason didn't work.
  • SuperTiredMom
    And yes, there are more, but I'm not going to go back and C&P all of the ones that don't say "work harder at acceptance". I didn't misinterpret anything. I'm not saying anyone has crap genes. She'll get it eventually, I just don't see the point of going off all "do better" for having a vent.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

No one is saying she isn't working hard enough. All anyone is saying is that her attitude towards her own particular set of circumstances isn't very productive.
    [/quote]

^^^^

[/quote]

Maybe she's working "hard enough", maybe she isn't.
    Know what's NOT working?
    Saying that she's "cursed" with bad genes.
    It's not helping even one thing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Nice excuse OP, but I hate to break it to you, you're not special, you're just not working as hard as you could. Stop looking for reasons as to why you can't be better, and just put in the work TO be better.

Rigger

Work at what, exactly? Lots of exercise to combat your overeating, or are your ancestors actually holding you down and shoving food in your mouth?

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Meh... Rigger is like that. Maybe if someone posts something you don't like, you try directing your attacks at them as opposed to making sweeping generalizations about everyone. I found most of these posts to be quite supportive, even if they didn't support the OP's philosophy about her "crap genetics".
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    I was blessed with the best genes in the world! They programed my lungs to breathe and my heart to beat just the right amount of time daily.

They also gave me my mom's pear shaped body. When I overeat, they first plumpened my tush, thights and hips. Continuing so grew me 44D breasts which hurt my back and shoulders to carry around. When I run on my trampoline at home I have to hold them still against my chest.

I CAN"T WAIT to get this 5-10 pounds off of my chest.

P.S. For some reason, probably because I am happy and independent, MEN LIKED me young, skinny, flat chested, andaged 53, fat and voLUMPtuous. And I am living happily ever after. The end.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    small waist and big hips =/= crap genetics. It sounds pretty ideal to me..... just remember that no-one looks like an airbrushed magazine model, not even the actual models, otherwise their pics wouldn't be airbrushed.

be happy with yourself the way you are, and strive to be the best version of yourself that you can be.

BTW I have a thick waist and no butt to speak of, well I have a butt now but only because I worked my *kitten* off (or should I say worked my *kitten* on :laugh: ) doing barbell squats and deadlifts. You can shape some aspects of your body with the right kinds of exercise, but only up to a point. Genetics plays a big role and some people do find it easier to lose fat than others, but I haven't met anyone who says "I just totally love the way my body stores fat, it comes off exactly where I want it to in the exact order I want it to" - i.e. no-one has perfect genetics and no-one has a perfect body, otherwise there'd be no jobs for the people who airbrush magazine photos...

You are funny!!!
  • SuperTiredMom

^^^^

[/quote]

Know what's NOT working?
    [/quote]

I'm sure you've never, ever been frustrated in your life and gotten mad at something not working the way you wanted before, either. Never muttered the words "stupid computer" or "crappy car" when you were upset, yea? Nah, never. Again, it's obviously a struggle for her. Too bad a fitness forum can't be an appropriate outlet for her.
  • UsedToBeHusky

Rigger

"Work at what, exactly? Lots of exercise to combat your overeating, or are your ancestors actually holding you down and shoving food in your mouth? "

----
    The 2nd one is also a quote, that for some reason didn't work.

You are new here... you'll figure out things in time.

Look, some people here are brash and believe that support is through brutal honesty and motivation comes from agitation. Kind of like when you watch the Biggest Loser and Jillian pushes and yells and makes people cry... but they still lose the weight and thank her for it later.

A lot of people on this site take that approach to "helping" people. I know it doesn't sound very helpful, but you just have to take that for a grain of salt. If it's not supportive to you, there are features that allow you to ignore it.

But please, don't be like so many other newbies that come here, see a few posts like that, and then makes broad accusations at everyone based on the behaviors of a few.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

I'm sure you've never, ever been frustrated in your life and gotten mad at something not working the way you wanted before, either. Never muttered the words "stupid computer" or "crappy car" when you were upset, yea? Nah, never. Again, it's obviously a struggle for her. Too bad a fitness forum can't be an appropriate outlet for her.

You can fix, trade-in or buy a new computer or car with the only inconvenience being cost. You cannot fix, trade-in or buy a different body type. You can only work on making it the best it can be. That darn reality again.
  • SuperTiredMom
    Ack! I don't know why the quotations aren't working for me. Either way, you can disagree with me, or not. All I'm saying is that yes, she may have chosen the wrong wording for her post, I'm not denying that. I do however, sympathize with her frustrations.

Also, about taking up "my problem with what certain posters say", I did not make a generalized sweep. If I said "everyone here is saying/doing", I do apologize, when I said, "my pedestal", if you (general) didn't say anything in a condescending manner, it didn't apply to you.
  • DamePiglet

^^^^

Know what's NOT working?

Actually, I'm being VERY supportive.
    I'm helping her get perspective.
    Next time she looks in the mirror, she might think, "Maybe not perfect, but things could be worse" rather than "woe is me. I'm a victim of my genetics"
    Support isn't always, "Oh... let's have sunshine!"
    This ain't "BeRichardSimmons.com"
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    I hear ya! My sister and I may as well be adopted siblings for all of our differences! My sister is 5'4", petite, and athletic...even after 4 children she looks great. I am 5'9", bigger boned, no children....and fat anyway. But I got the hair, long and thick, and the big eyes. Still wish I was the petite one!
  • SuperTiredMom

You can fix, trade-in or buy a new computer or car with the only inconvenience being cost. You cannot fix, trade-in or buy a different body type. You can only work on making it the best it can be. That darn reality again.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Because if you aren't, you missed my point entirely. I'm saying there's nothing wrong with her genes, she's just frustrated. Therefore, if someone was just frustrated with their computer or car and there was nothing wrong with it, they may have possibly called it stupid or crappy or whatever in the past with no reason for a new one, it was just words of frustration.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Gee, now I know what to blame everything on!!
  • DamePiglet
    We all know genetics play a big role in weight loss/muscle gain. I can definitely say I've got crappy genetics because I'm not losing fat where I would like! Unfortunately, where fat comes off first/last in weight loss is something that's beyond our control...
    When I started really working out and eating clean, I wasn't considered overweight. But I did have larger hips, breasts and quite a bit around around the stomach.
    Since I started working out and eating clean, I've gone from a full C to a reasonable A boob-wise! At the moment you could hardly say that I have a flat stomach, but it does look better than before... My already small waist has gotten smaller and my hips haven't changed too much... My upper arms seem to be clinging on to the fat whilst lower arms are stick thin!! Haha I'm not really complaining (Okay, maybe a bit) but it just seems so unfair :P I'm hoping it will just even out as I progress!
    Anyone else have crap genetics like this? And does anyone know if I'll be flat-chested before I get a flat stomach, or will everything even out?

I kinda think she is blaming everything on her genes...

eta: blaming everything...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Because if you aren't, you missed my point entirely. I'm saying there's nothing wrong with her genes, she's just frustrated. Therefore, if someone was just frustrated with their computer or car and there was nothing wrong with it, they may have possibly called it stupid or crappy or whatever in the past with no reason for a new one, it was just words of frustration.

but a computer and a car are just objects. A body is the physical outer projection of self, and needs to be appreciated as such. While we may become frustrated with it, it is still part of who we are. No one in all the world has a perfect body and doesn't see some imperfection he or she might like to change about him or herself. That doesn't mean there isn't some way we can all learn to look past those imperfections and learn to love the body we have, despite the fact that it might not look exactly the way we want it to. In the meantime, we can eat better, and work harder, and do what we can to affect the changes which are possible. Then perhaps we can also learn to find some peace with the things we can't change and find the inner beauty instead.
  • SuperTiredMom
    Yes, I may be new, however I'm not new to debating, which we are. I don't think you are seeing what I'm saying. I AGREE with you, but everyone seems to be hung up on my sympathy for the OP. I've not said anywhere that she should just give up on trying to love her body, not once. I only tried to defend her against those who (now if it's not you, it doesn't apply, I'm not *accusing* unless you actually did) were saying she was not working hard enough at LOSING. I believe I've tried to make my point clear enough, if I haven't, well I don't think that's on me.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member

Rigger

Agree 100%!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I can't wait until that day I can look down from my pedestal and tell those who are struggling with acceptance of areas that they "can't target lose" from and tell them they aren't working hard enough. I mean, even someone at "perfect" % could want larger/smaller/whatever and wish it was a little bit different, but I guess they should have just worked harder and told those non-existant body-type determining genes to GTFO and let the fat fall where we want it to, right?

no pedistal here. I don't have the ideal body type (according to what the media etc dictates as desirable) and the only models I look like are on display in the middle palaeolithic section of natural history museums. What I have done though, is learned to accept myself the way I am. I'm never ever ever ever ever ever going to look like a supermodel. So I have a choice in life, I could spend my life cursing my "crap genetics" and hating myself for not being tall or gracile enough to meet the conventional definitions of beautiful. Or alternatively I can accept myself the way I am and strive to be the best version of me that I can be. That's what I chose to do, and I also realised that I value strength and hardiness more than being beautiful, and strength and hardiness isn't something that I lack. I'm fit, strong and healthy and have a healthy body fat percentage and healthy body composition.

I also think all body types are beautiful and value diversity. But it makes me sad when people can't see the beauty in their own body because it doesn't conform to the current cultural trends with regards to what's seen as ideal. When fit, strong, healthy women think that they have "crap genetics" because they have stubborn fat on their (add any location here) something is clearly wrong, and it's not the stubborn fat. If your body fat percentage is in the healthy range, there's nothing unhealthy about having stubborn fat. People may not like their stubborn fat, but it doesn't equal bad genetics.