A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Options

Replies

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

LESS ABOUT QUANTITY... more about quality.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

I am so happy that the word is coming out about this. It's about time.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

What is this "junk" you speak of?

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Of course calories matter...We cannot sit down and eat and eat and eat. Most people get that. ... It kind of goes without saying... But it is the QUALITY of calories because a calorie is NOT a calorie any more.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    How is it less about quantity? If you eat 3500 calories of healthy food, you'll still gain weight. Just like how I could be here eating chocolate, staying in a calorie deficit, and be losing weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So in for this one...so lets get going

did you read the article...this is in the first lines...

<snip>
    The strongest evidence to date shows that calories matter, but focusing on food quality is an equally important part of preventing weight gain and promoting weight loss.
    •Focus on eating high-quality foods[] in appropriately sized portions.[/b]

and then the 2nd paragraphs
    “A calorie is a calorie” is an oft-repeated dietary slogan, and not overeating is indeed an important health measure. Rather than focusing on calories alone, however, emerging research shows that quality is also key in determining what we should eat and what we should avoid in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Rather than choosing foods based only on caloric value, think instead about choosing high-quality, healthy foods, and minimizing low-quality foods.

And then
    •Researchers did not discount the importance of calories, instead suggesting that choosing high-quality foods (and decreasing consumption of lower-quality foods) is an important factor in helping individuals consume fewer calories

and last but not least
    The results from these three studies suggest that there may be some benefits to a macronutrient-based dietary approach, but research also shows that while a particular diet may result in weight loss for one person, it may not be effective for another person due to individual differences in genes and lifestyle. For those seeking the “perfect” one-size-fits-all diet, then, there isn’t one! The great news is that everyone can follow The Healthy Eating Plate guidelines and choose healthy, flavorful foods to create a diet that works best for you.

Thanks Joanne for once again proving calories do matter for weight loss and that macros are important for health...

I know that wasn't the intent but eh it works...

great, now she is going to fall back on sugar fear mongering...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh and in….because I want to see where this thread goes in about two hours….
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Of course calories matter...We cannot sit down and eat and eat and eat. Most people get that. ... It kind of goes without saying... But it is the QUALITY of calories because a calorie is NOT a calorie any more.

Well if you're going to have a conversation with yourself...I'm just going to leave....

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    OMG, she fixed her pic.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why do people keep making this same thread instead of just doing a search? Of course no one wants to hear it. We've heard it a zillion times already.

zealotry knows no boundaries….
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    lG1HODA.gif
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Which has absolutely nothing to do with calories..........you would think that would have sunk my now.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Money is not Money. It's how you spend it that counts . . .

so if I blow it on strippers and blow it was just monopoly money????
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Yes a calorie is a calorie...it always has been and always will be....

Quality is about health...but that doesn't mean you have to exclude anything from your intake you just take it in smaller quantites...

Hitting your macros is important if you are concerned with overall health and want to lose fat not fat+muscle...but if you are just concerned with the number on the scale...it's all about calories...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    oh and in….because I want to see where this thread goes in about two hours….

You know where it's going to go - nowhere (well not strictly speaking), it will go in a big circle. lol:smile:
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Well if you're going to have a conversation with yourself...I'm just going to leave....

Well if you want to argue you are right about something you are wrong about who are you going to have that convo with??? yourself of course that way you get to be right.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Ok thats it! I am going to start eating 8000 calories a day of QUALITY approved foods and see my weight magically disappear...because QUALITY over QUANTITY.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ok thats it! I am going to start eating 8000 calories a day of QUALITY approved foods and see my weight magically disappear...because QUALITY over QUANTITY.

And I'll sit here and ballon from one piece of cake! It's so simple.
  • ndj1979
    Options

you and me bother are going on an 8000 calorie a day raw vegan diet and we are going to lose a pound per week!!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

you and me bother are going on an 8000 calorie a day raw vegan diet and we are going to lose a pound per week!!!!!

K well you two have to stay off the forums then...no one wants to deal with you two eating raw vegan...:noway:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Yes a calorie is a calorie...it always has been and always will be....

Quality is about health...but that doesn't mean you have to exclude anything from your intake you just take it in smaller quantites...

Hitting your macros is important if you are concerned with overall health and want to lose fat not fat+muscle...but if you are just concerned with the number on the scale...it's all about calories...

Choice of food for overall health - just hitting your macros is ambiguous!

A calorie is just a calorie (in as much as it is a unit of energy). But not all calories will convert into energy to fuel our bodies, so sometimes it is about the context of that calorie.

I am not discouraging or suggesting calorie counting does not work, because I firmly believe it does and most members of MFP loss weight in an efficient and healthy manner.

To be honest I don't really know or care which is better for the masses all I care about is which is better for me personally.

So a calorie is a calorie - until you eat it.