WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Good morning - I am completely out of my routine; and Levi is not happy about it! We usually roll out of bed about 5:45 and are out the door by 6:15 for our morning walk - it means we have the local elementary school yard to our selves and Levi can be off lead running, smelling and chasing birds home around 7:15. BUT today a client needed, begged for a 7am drop off so I figured ok, I have an 8am appointment too - so Levi and I would walk after that. But my 7am is a no show, no call, no email, no text - Oh well, next :tongue:

My best news is that even with a fall off the band wagon meal + I am still down a pound! and it broke a zero number for me; I know at 10 lbs lost I'll be pleased as punch but I have not been this low in close to 10 years, so I am really thrilled! Thanks for all the help and support it is your win too! I am going to schedule a massage; I have not had one in years and love them - I have a neighbor who is a massage therapist and she'll make house calls :happy: and is giving me a discount:laugh:

Well I need to re-arrange my work schedule to get what needs to be done done -- and you know the 7am will want to be here some other time today:smile: so I will need to work around that It's going to be a beautiful sunny day - Maybe I'll take Levi over to the open space area - it is his favorite but there is a creek he swims in so then it is bath time, makes a hour walk more like a 2 hour + event with driving over and back and the bath...
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good Friday morning,

Things are still crazy at work, but I wanted to check in. :flowerforyou:

My sodium has been through the roof lately. I am up another pound for a total of six pounds up from goal weight.:embarassed: I finally checked in with my new weight and I got a “Congratulations” message! :huh: STRANGE! It said something about losing more than ten pounds from my previous goal and wanting to “recalculate” my exercise and calories. I don’t really understand what that was about as I GAINED weight since my last check-in. Anyway, I said “no”. I know what I have to do. I’m just struggling to DO IT!:grumble:

This weather sure has me down. I can’t stand the ups and downs of the temperature (although a consistent up would be great!). This has been the weirdest winter I can remember. I’m hoping that when the warmer weather happens and I’ll be able to run outside again, that it will help to be more consistent with my exercise. I really HATE that treadmill! :devil:

One of my grandsons turned 13 yesterday. They are all growing up so fast! I’m really looking forward to seeing them all when we visit them in April.:heart: When I called last night to wish him happy birthday, my future daughter-in-law was telling me that she is struggling with weight. I find that hard to believe because she’s always been a beanpole, but I guess it can sneak up on anyone. I told her that her problem was that she bakes too many goodies. She’s a wonderful cook. I recommended MFP to her and she plans to try it out. In spite of the fact that we don’t see each other often, we have a very good relationship. Too bad that things can’t be so easy with my daughter and her “fiancé”. :cry:

My DMIL turns 80 this year and we are planning a party. My SIL and BIL are coming for dinner tonight to discuss the details. We are having the party at our house, since we have the most space, but we will split the cost of having it catered. Her birthday is in November, but I’m thinking that October would be nice because she will never expect it that early, and November is too close to the holidays anyway. We are also planning to have a family vacation together next year. She wanted to do that this year, but Frank’s brother, who lives in California, couldn’t make it out and we want everyone to be included. We are all trying to save up to make this a vacation to remember! I’m not sure where we’ll go, but hopefully, we can all agree on a location.:laugh:

Gotta get back to work now. Have a great weekend and hang in…..

Previous and Current Goals:

Consistent logging (Could be better)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (40%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (NOT YET-STILL LOOKING!!!)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Not in THIS weather!)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Not lately!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE. :smile:
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,884 Member
    Options
    Just bumping to mark my place.

Rita from CT
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies! It is a beautiful sunny day here and a "half" day for me. Extra awesome is that I am headed out of town to meet up with a friend for the weekend! We are staying in a ritzy section of Charlotte (I got a great TravelZoo deal) and have a kitchen so we are going to a Fresh Market to buy provisions. AND, Fresh Market is having a strawberry festival thing this weekend so I can taste all sorts of strawberry goodies without having whole items in front of me to tempt! I need a "licking the lips" smiley here.

The only bad news of the day is that I was supposed to get to have a phone conversation with one of my favorite musicians this afternoon, but I just got word that he injured himself this morning and is seeing a doctor for treatment. As long as he is okay, the phone call can definitely wait!

Okay, I am off to tidy my desk before I leave the office and get on the road! I am so looking forward to the visiting and the opportunity to sit out on our balcony in the warm air and sunshine today and tomorrow before the icky stuff comes back next week.

Have a great weekend!

Carol in beautifully warm and sunny NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Oh well, the savoury baking didn't go quite to plan!:blushing:
    I baked them all because I wasn't sure which of the shapes was sellable :huh: and did manage to squirrel away 6 of them for the family, managed to package up 3 × 4 of them with nice labels, but also managed to eat a few of the smaller, less presentable ones.:sad: :blushing: :sad: :blushing: I have logged 300 for it, but that's probably an underestimate. :ohwell:
    The packaged ones do look nice though. It's the first time I've made anything for sale since the children were at school and then the kids used to make me buy back my own apple cake because it was their favourite!
    My downfall was the fact that they are savoury, which to me is far more tempting than sweet. Puff pastry, green olives, sun dried tomatoes, pesto and parmesan. How could I resist? :laugh: :bigsmile:
    Will be going light on dinner tonight (game stew), but will still be over. DH has stewed some of our own rhubarb for dessert.
    My yoga friend texted me to say she is going to buy some of my palmiers, but I don't think she or her husband will like them - they are very conservative eaters.:tongue:

I have emailed DDIL with a few dates. Here's hoping! Yes, Katla, she is the gem of gems. I admire her enormously.:love:

Bye again, Heather UK

Posted my gorgeous DGC again as profile photo. They always come out sideways on though! This is one of the photos DDIL sent me.:heart:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hello lovlies,

Well, I think I survived my first week as a new member of "I don't have a mom" club. I got caught up on some work and have started to work though some of my giant "things to do" piles.

I saw someone mention sugar craving a couple pages back. Sugar, IMO, is one of the most under rated additions in this country. ADDICTION, just like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs..... Also, just like those substances, not everyone who "uses" them gets addicted but I'd sure bet if someone put the proper studies into sugar addiction, we'd find out there are more sugar junkies than anything else. JUST as dangerous as we all know. Stepping off of soap box.... : ) Sorry, it's an old "passion" of mine.

Have to weigh in and measure up for the start of my T25 tomorrow. I don't start until Monday but they want you to do all your weight and measuring on Saturday, which is an "off day". That should be depressing. I am anxious to start, however.

Of to run and get my boy from school.

Happy day to all!

Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    Family duties called me away from the gym this week, but I will be back.

We have a cat that lives outside due to cat allergies. She keeps the mice in check, and gets food and a warm place in the garage at night safe from coyotes, raccoons and owls in return. She must have depleted the garage mice so effectively, that now she has been going next door, bringing them back alive, and releasing them in our garage!

Carol, have a wonderful time and get those batteries recharged.

Heather, wow those savory palmiers sound delish. I have only had the sweet ones.

Jb, love your positive attitude, and musical evening. My DD just learned a Beatles song yesterday on the guitar. So fun to listen to!

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday morning!! I am working my short shift (8 hours) and off tomorrow. Going to a bike show here in town to help with a booth our CMA group is having. Going to meet this afternoon and DH is entering our trike so looking forward to a fun weekend. Sounds like it is to only be in the 40's and chance of snow the next couple days. Spring may be here but winter hasn't left yet!!

Alison--Hugs!! :heart: Hope you can get things worked out for DFIL. I know trying to get dad into somewhere was such a hassle and they kept saying he needed 3 days in hospital before they would pay for NH care and rehab.

Sandy--sounds like the wise thing to do. Glad to hear things are going well with your brother.:flowerforyou:

Cindy and Barbie--I refuse to listen to the news. I figure I can not do anything about it and if it effects me then I will deal at the time. I say that is why I have cable so I do not have to watch news. I agree I find my life better because of it. I seldom read much in the newspaper.

Michelle-part of the problem at work is the boss. She covers for these girls and will not talk to them. Then she tells me I am to oganized and need to give them a break. She spends alot of the day on the phone with her daughter or goes out to walk. Must say that is ok then I can work and not have to listen to her. Part of the problem is my boss used to be one of us and got put into boss job acouple years ago and she has been friends with these people and doesn't want to upset them. I know that since she took over she got two people fired one had been here 35 years and the other one over 11 years. So I have to watch what I say as I can not afford to lose my job as then would more then likely lose my house. I have been here 27 years and could not go somewhere else and make what I make here. So one day at a time.

Joyce--I do not work on the floor anymore. I work in the commucations and we answer all phones and have all the alarms and call the codes. We dismiss all the patients and dispatch courier service. We are also most the doctors in town answering service. Alot of paper work and if we do not do things right we may not get paid or can be charged with faud. Also we do different money payouts so we have alot of money here also we have to keep track of as we have a person here stealing money. So important each shift do their work, but like I said some people get babied and puts it on the rest of us.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent.:blushing:

Kim--great find on chair. I find I want french fries in the car. Sad to say that used to be a habit and when DH and I are going somewhere I find myself thinking about it alot. I think we need to go to McDonalds drive thru and get pop and fries.

Amanda--Hope you are feeling better. I know I fought with my gallbladder for almost 10 years before I let them take it out. I was so scared of surgery. But feel so much better since.

Florence--Welcome and prayers for your niece. Come often and get to know us and us you.

Heather--I find a piece of cheese or bananna around 9-10 is all I need.

jb--your evening sounds like alot of fun.

Momsamodel--congrates on the loss and your plans for the massage. I had my first one last Nov after my car accident and I loved it.

Carol--Hope your weekend is all you are planning. Sounds like alot of fun and strawberries,yum!

Well time to sign off and finish some work before I go home. Have a good afternoon.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~suppose to get to 65,it`s 55,I`ll take it.
    Cleaning and airing the house out.Feels good.
    Have a good one.
    HUGS
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! I just got back from canoeing with hubby! Now, that may not sound like much, but it's the first time we've gone in about 3 years. I had gotten so big that I couldn't hardly get in and out of the canoe, and it stopped being fun. And I think even my sweet hubby was afraid we would tip over. My end of the boat was so low in the water it nearly sunk us. But today, none of that happened. I had to pull in the straps on my life vest as far as they would go, and it was still a tiny bit loose, so I'll need to get a new vest. And I'm out of practice rowing, so I think my arms and shoulders will be sore tomorrow. Being Friday afternoon there weren't any other boats out either, so that was nice. The weather was perfect, too. I love spring!!!

For lunch I got some whole wheat bread things (I think they were called Smart Pockets) that look like pita pockets but they are rectangular, and have 80 calories and 85 mg of sodium. I filled one with chicken I baked yesterday, cut into thin slices, and Swiss cheese and Roma tomatoes. It was really good, and was just right for lunch. I'm planning to put those pita pockets in the freezer and take them out as needed, so I hope they freeze ok. Tonight I'll have the rest of the chicken breast and sweet potatoes. We are staying out at the lake cabin tonight, so we don't have any sweets out here to wreck my diet plans. That's a good thing. We brought a moon pie for hubby, but I don't like those so that's no temptation for me. I agree with what the rest of you are saying about sugar being addictive. It's not too bad for me, but hubby has it BAD. Flour and potato addiction is my problem.

I hope it's spring where you are! Here's the joke of the day:

:laugh:

Once upon a time, there was a cat that died. When she got to heaven, God asked her how she liked being on earth. She told the Lord that it was awful -- she had to sleep in cold black alleys, where there was no food and life was hard. God told her that he was sorry it had had turned out that way -- but here, in heaven, she would be happy and He would give her the most comfortable, warm pillow to sleep on.. The cat lay down upon the pillow and was happy. A few days later, about a dozen mice that came to heaven together and God asked them how they had liked earth. The earth was no better for them than it was the cat. They explained to God that it was tough and exhausting and their feet were worn out from always running from cats and dogs and people. God felt bad for the mice and decided to give them roller-skates. One day God sees the cat again and asked her how she liked heaven. She explained that it was absolutely wonderful. The pillow he gave her was the most comfortable place that she had ever slept on, but even better than the pillow was the meals on wheels.

:tongue:

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, got sleepy early, so it'll be an early night. Sleep well!
    Cynthia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    VIcki, you are correct about the 3 days..
    I am doing the legwork but my SIL and BIL are the ones in charge ,so we shall see what happens, going to talk to the nurse down at the hospital and get some information and talk to the dr that is treating him down there.. I want him transferred over to a place near us ,then I will let my SIL deal with the finanicals
    still exsausted, so gonna make it an early night...
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm sore & tired and am ever so happy that it's my rest day. Gotta give those muscles that I didn't know I had recoup after that intense class last night.

I talked to DS tonight and he is concerned about going to meet my brother. He just doesn't trust anyone in my family, not that I can blame him. My family doesn't have a good track record.

I'm headed to bed. Sleep well everyone.

:heart: Sandy in ON where we are getting more snow tonight...ugh!!!
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies - happy weekend!

I love the description of logging in as sitting down with a coffee and catching up with friends! That's exactly how I feel.

Keep the jokes coming - after all a chuckle a day keeps the doctor at bay! One of my goals was to laugh and this helps!!

Walks with dogs or children are never just the hour - they always take far longer than anticipated!

Hugs to those who are needing hugs. And happy dances for those who are rejoicing.

Gorgeous grandchildren beautiful photos! My colleague has a one year old and she has him on her phone giggling doing a peek-a-boo game. His giggle is so infectious. Just listening to him over lunch and joining in just because you do makes lunchtime fun! It really is a case of play it again! Enjoy them they grow up so quickly! I can't believe my youngest is 18!

MA in UK
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Today has been a bit disappointing, as Teral wasn’t able to make it to our lunch after all. She ended up not having a car available. I spent the time on my treadmill instead, so got some good out of it. Hubby has thrown out his back, so I’m hoping that he’ll be okay by the time we leave on our trip.

I've been walking small intervals twice a week: 3 minutes at 3.5mph on a 6% incline and 2 minutes at 3.5mph on a 2% incline. I've never done more than six sets before, but upped it to eight sets today. I've been feeling like my legs were a bit slimmer with all of the walking, but my tape measure says that it's just wishful thinking on my part!

My daughter is enjoying her new job as an ICU nurse, and started graduate school this week to study to become a nurse practitioner. We want to pay her tuition, and she wants to take out loans, so we'll have to see how that goes.

Gloria – My daughter had to have ALL of her baby teeth serially extracted, and they even went into the sockets on four of them and extracted the adult teeth from the jaw at the same time. It wasn’t fun. She hates dentists to this day, and the sight of teeth makes her nauseous. Her remaining teeth do fit her mouth, though, and are straight after braces. I’m sorry that your little guy is having to go through this, too.

Heather – I’m sorry that you’re feeling out-of-sorts, and hope that it’s better soon. We all have blue periods, so just be kind to yourself!

Amanda – I haven’t been around for a while, so would like to say a belated “congratulations!” on the birth of your granddaughter.

Margaret – Thank you for always having something cheerful to say!

Rose – This is a great place to find the support that you need!

Sylvia – It sounds like you’ve kept your sense of humor, despite the Appleby’s debacle! Your canoeing sounds like a lot of fun – glad you’re back to doing it.

Yanniejannie – I hope you’ve had a chance to slow down and catch your breath!

Barbie – We are thankful for you, and your never-ending support!

Kim – How fun that you found your perfect wicker chair!

Lucy – Good to hear from you!

Jane in Colorado
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone has a goodnight. In the middle of OKC Thunder basketball game. Goodnight everyone.:heart:

Cindy in OK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jane is there a way that you can be the lender for your daughter's loan? You can give her a better interest rate for her than a financial institution. Sounds like you raised her to be a dependable, responsible person.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    The weather is really nice here today, I'm not wearing a jacket. But according to the weather, we're supposed to get snow on tuesday (yuk)

Did my running around, went to mahjongg, Lowe's foods, Dunkin Donuts, then had time to go to Busy hands, then Aldi. Now home to get dinner ready.

jb - your students are so lucky to have you as their teacher. Sounds like a fun time will be had by all

katla - I notice the high salt, too. You know, the other day I made a pork roast. To me, it was somewhat salty. Now I know that I didn't add any salt, just spices. Drive home safely

Kim - how great that you're down a pound. Sometimes what's needed is to "confuse" the body, one day low(er) calories, the next high(er). A massage sounds heavenly, enjoy it

Lucy in DE - I agree that October will be a better time for the party.

Did a load of laundry and just before I went to mahjongg, I put it in the dryer. Guess I should take it out of the dryer, huh????

Carol and DeeDee - isn't the weather today fantastic?

Gloria - you have to tell us how the T25 is going. I've heard so many good things about it.

Vicki - vent any time you like

Sylvia - great NSV's

Jane in CO - so sorry Teral wasn't able to make it to lunch, but at least you used the time productively. Hope hubby is OK

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am using Heather’s rule “don’t let perfect be the enemy of good” so I’m posting even if I don’t comment on what anyone has said.

:flowerforyou: The line dance class I taught this morning was fabulous….there were two new students, and several who had returned from long winter vacations in the south, so for a lot of people, every dance seemed brand new. I had many kind comments after class. Then Jake took me to lunch as an early birthday treat. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: Today I am grateful for mobility and being able to walk and dance pain free. It has been almost five months since my fall and I don’t ever want to take my ability to walk comfortably for granted.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 21,000 steps today ---yoga----exercise bike---line dance class
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Lucy – Love the idea of DMIL’s party in October, what a great surprise, weather is better then (most of the time)
    Carol – I am glad to hear you sound so much more upbeat! Love the great deal run away and a kitchen!
    Heather – I make those palmiers and Love them too – I am afraid to defrost any puff pastry… it is so good and so darn high in calories!
    Gloria –good job working on those piles – when my dad passed away; my mom always said that she was not a widow but her husband was on a business trip with God. It helped her to make it more positive – personally I thought it was weird – but I have told others and most folks think it is a good way to think of it…..
    Kayzoola – LOL with the cat!
    Syliva – Great canoeing adventure and wonderful on the life vest!!!

Well my 7am client never did show and says she is coming tomorrow - but can't figure out when - I am in and out tomorrow so told her to call first -- But I took DL (darling Levi) to the open space area he ran and swam for an hour and then to the local pet store that has "diy" dog bathing tubs - Love them !! He has been sleeping a lot this afternoon!

A neighbor has a garden full of chard, she thought each plant would give you 1-2 leaves there is enough chard for all of us to have a bunch and she has offered it to me - I have steamed it and stir fryed it and neither to me is great - anyone have a great chard recipe?

Spent an hour in the garden turning the compost bin - I don't do it often enough, but tomorrow the garden is getting rototillered for summer planting so I have 3 compost bins to turn and move the finished compost to the garden - so one down and 2 to go - better do a bit more sewing tonight so I can work in the yard tomorrow. My shoulders are tired from pitchforking compost, but those extra calories burned gave me a glass of wine with dinner - yeah!

Kim in Sunny N. CAL