What's the point? Solitary Fat Woman.

Replies

• arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    As a large woman, I say keep on being a beacon in the dark. Leadership is hard, and sometimes lonely, but you have to look for the greater good.

The process of documenting your journey, as well as providing wisdom and advisement, may be what is keeping you "on the road to...."

I would like to be your friend !
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Yes Quasita really sparked off some very interesting discussion. I personally am glad there was a lack of clarity and understanding earlier in the thread, as it helped generate such insightful, in depth comments.
  • girl, motivation comes from within. Never look to somebody else for that in which you can only find in yourself. You will always end up disapointed and end up writing posts like this.

i disagree. if we only looked inward for motivation, some would never find it. sometimes one small push from a kind person that really understands can make all the change needed. on the flip side... sometimes one cruel word sticks with us for years. yes what is in inner motivation can get us far, if we know where to look... but most times it takes another to help us find it. an outside force/reason. it is good to tap in to our inner strength, but being able to support & receive support is needed to make it in anything...in my opinion that is.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    girl, motivation comes from within. Never look to somebody else for that in which you can only find in yourself. You will always end up disapointed and end up writing posts like this.

i disagree. if we only looked inward for motivation, some would never find it. sometimes one small push from a kind person that really understands can make all the change needed. on the flip side... sometimes one cruel word sticks with us for years. yes what is in inner motivation can get us far, if we know where to look... but most times it takes another to help us find it. an outside force/reason. it is good to tap in to our inner strength, but being able to support & receive support is needed to make it in anything...in my opinion that is.

That's it. The isolationist perspective of "only looking inward" got most of us to our high weights. I have spent years deconstructing the mentality I was prone to when I was younger. In all honesty, my eyes found some clarity from a doctor of all people. One that sat down with me and told me that I was very heavy, but he had every belief that I could conquer it, and he would be there to help monitor and manage. He is very tough to please when it comes to my losses, and for some reason, I found it inspiring. I wanted to prove to him I wasn't just another lost cause.

Not long after that, I joined a program at my old job, and started the original Team RAWR (there is an MFP group for this, but we haven't done anything for a while due to my getting sick). We competed with the whole company, and the competition pushed me to try harder, move more, and encourage... next thing I knew, my team was #1 in the company... across the COUNTRY... and I began to discover the power that is community when you're working on this.

Yes, you have to have a reason to do it for yourself, but sometimes, especially in the beginning, it's hard to find a good reason to spend more money on better food and exhaust yourself with exercise, when your habits seem more preferable. When you're really big, the gym can be intimidating, but having a buddy go with you can distract you from the self-consciousness while you do your thing. There are so many people on MFP because we all search for this communal support aspect... That's why I'm here. If you didn't want the community or thought others being involved was pointless, being here would also be pretty pointless, as there are tons of non-social app calorie counters just as accurate.

Anyway, I think a majority of people need a balance of the two to successfully keep going.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    My join date says April, but I wasn't really serious about MFP until October 2013. For the first month or so, I had no MFP friends. I mean, I got the FR from people who wanted to sell me something (always encouraging to have someone only want to talk to you to make money off you when you already feel bad about yourself), and I posted a little in the forums, but mostly I felt invisible. A few real people sent FR, but I left them in limbo because I wasn't sure I was going to stick with this and didn't want to disappoint anyone, since I felt like I had already disappointed so many people by not getting in control of my life sooner. I wish hadn't done that and had tried to make friends when I joined. I have more MFP friends now, but there are still days when I feel invisible on here and that I'm going it alone. I think everyone feels that way sometimes.

I think everyone has their own struggles, and I know I don't really talk about mine on here. Yet. Maybe one day I will, but for now that part needs to stay in the solitary area. I think you need to be willing to put yourself out there sometimes to get the support you really need when it comes to weight loss and dealing with the mental aspect of it, and I'm not there yet. I still haven't gotten the balls to send someone a FR. But you can have a balance and still get benefits from the community even if you aren't able to put yourself into it completely or just simply do not want to. Hell, stick around for the cat gifs.

FWIW, I recognized your name on the forum. So you're not as solitary as you think. :wink:
  • I don't know. I always felt that real happiness comes from within. When I realized who the person I really wanted to be was, the rest just came organically. Or divine intervention. Being healthy is not just physical, it's a state of mind. That's been said many times already.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I guess nobody's perfect.
  • Quasita
    My join date says April, but I wasn't really serious about MFP until October 2013. For the first month or so, I had no MFP friends. I mean, I got the FR from people who wanted to sell me something (always encouraging to have someone only want to talk to you to make money off you when you already feel bad about yourself), and I posted a little in the forums, but mostly I felt invisible. A few real people sent FR, but I left them in limbo because I wasn't sure I was going to stick with this and didn't want to disappoint anyone, since I felt like I had already disappointed so many people by not getting in control of my life sooner. I wish hadn't done that and had tried to make friends when I joined. I have more MFP friends now, but there are still days when I feel invisible on here and that I'm going it alone. I think everyone feels that way sometimes.

I think everyone has their own struggles, and I know I don't really talk about mine on here. Yet. Maybe one day I will, but for now that part needs to stay in the solitary area. I think you need to be willing to put yourself out there sometimes to get the support you really need when it comes to weight loss and dealing with the mental aspect of it, and I'm not there yet. I still haven't gotten the balls to send someone a FR. But you can have a balance and still get benefits from the community even if you aren't able to put yourself into it completely or just simply do not want to. Hell, stick around for the cat gifs.

FWIW, I recognized your name on the forum. So you're not as solitary as you think. :wink:

Well, I feel blessed to be recognized. :) Hopefully it's not for being a weirdo of the bad sort haha
    I do feel better today than yesterday. This thread was a little upsetting at first but I have shaken the funk a bit.

When I first started here, it was mostly to be able to post to my RL friends about my progress. I got sucked into the forums a bit after a while. I'll admit that I blindly accepted requests, and that's why my list is bloated. Luckily, a couple of those turned out to be pretty awesome, and put up with me ;)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    girl, motivation comes from within. Never look to somebody else for that in which you can only find in yourself. You will always end up disapointed and end up writing posts like this.

I'm glad that you and Quasita expressed this POV. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not firmly planted in the "need outside support" camp; my motivation has always stemmed from within. I've never been thrust forward, or pushed back, because of bullying or negativity, and I've never relied on anybody's support, caring, or cheering for inner motivation. For me the loathing of being fat has always been the motivation I needed, whether I stepped out on that motivation or not. I've just always been both my biggest motivator, and harshest critic. I've thought several times before that I truly believe I'd still lose the weight even if I was the only man left on Earth. I just hated having my body buried in blubber that much. I didn't like the look of it, the feel of it, and most importantly, the way it made me feel about myself.

It's such a blessing though to see it from the perspective of other people. To be reminded that yes, this journey really is so personal, and so varied, amongst us all. To be reminded that many of us really do need community, understanding, and support to reach our highest selves. And while that doesn't apply to me much in the arena of weight loss, I definitely can see that need in other areas of my life.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    To Quasita...

This is not finished...the rest is so personal...not sure if I ever will finish it. I wanted to share with you though...I am not even sure why. I hope that it not only gives you something to think about but others. We all talk about the journey forward...but seldom do we share what set us on the journey of self destruction. I think for me this is not all about losing weight...getting fit...it is about healing my life. I hope that we all can heal what set us upon this journey to start with.

WHERE DID IT ALL BEGIN?

I often read where people are searching for the motivation to change their lives…the determination to change. We look to others for support and advice. We read…we research…we try different methods. We tackle our weight loss with a vengeance.
    I seldom read about where it all began. ..why we felt too weak to change it before. Why we failed so many times. We seldom face where it began.

As I approach the half way mark of meeting my 100lb weight loss I have had some very strange emotions. I can’t quite find the joy that I thought I would feel to finally be so close to reaching the one hundreds again for the first time in so long. Not even the excitement of buying some new clothes when I hit the 50lb mark.

I have asked myself why…why am I not more thrilled…

I am leery I suppose…I have made it this far…there is no turning back…no more excuses that I can not do this. I can not rely on my old friend the Pity Party to save me from moving forward. I used that pity party before in order to fail…to not have to think about myself. ..to not feel worthy of this much time and effort focused on me. I have to accept that I have taken responsibility…control…charge of my life.

It is time to face where it all began. If I don’t then all of this will have been in vain. I might lose the weight…I might get more fit and healthy…but I will not have changed my life.

For most they will say it is all about moving forward. I believe however before we can do that we must move backwards to where it began. If we don’t face what started us down the path of self-destruction it will at some point rear its ugly head and try to suck us back in. Tell us we are not worth it.

When I was a child I was taught to be kind, compassionate, loving and caring to others. I was also taught to put others before myself…to take care of those in need. I was not however taught to love myself…to take care of me…and to ignore my own needs. I was also taught that no matter what someone might do to me…I was to forgive except I was never taught to forgive myself. I was the child that everyone turned to when things needed fixing. No one taught me how to fix myself.

I grew up that way…I kept most things to myself…my joy…my hurts…needs. I never learned how to share those things with others…I thought that I was not important enough.

When life happened...I didn't know how to help myself...thought I deserved all of the pain...I went in to hiding...hiding behind a wall of fat...a wall of becoming unhealthy...I stayed there for many years.
  • Quasita
    To Quasita...

This is not finished...the rest is so personal...not sure if I ever will finish it. I wanted to share with you though...I am not even sure why. I hope that it not only gives you something to think about but others. We all talk about the journey forward...but seldom do we share what set us on the journey of self destruction. I think for me this is not all about losing weight...getting fit...it is about healing my life. I hope that we all can heal what set us upon this journey to start with.

WHERE DID IT ALL BEGIN?

I often read where people are searching for the motivation to change their lives…the determination to change. We look to others for support and advice. We read…we research…we try different methods. We tackle our weight loss with a vengeance.
    I seldom read about where it all began. ..why we felt too weak to change it before. Why we failed so many times. We seldom face where it began.

As I approach the half way mark of meeting my 100lb weight loss I have had some very strange emotions. I can’t quite find the joy that I thought I would feel to finally be so close to reaching the one hundreds again for the first time in so long. Not even the excitement of buying some new clothes when I hit the 50lb mark.

I have asked myself why…why am I not more thrilled…

I am leery I suppose…I have made it this far…there is no turning back…no more excuses that I can not do this. I can not rely on my old friend the Pity Party to save me from moving forward. I used that pity party before in order to fail…to not have to think about myself. ..to not feel worthy of this much time and effort focused on me. I have to accept that I have taken responsibility…control…charge of my life.

It is time to face where it all began. If I don’t then all of this will have been in vain. I might lose the weight…I might get more fit and healthy…but I will not have changed my life.

For most they will say it is all about moving forward. I believe however before we can do that we must move backwards to where it began. If we don’t face what started us down the path of self-destruction it will at some point rear its ugly head and try to suck us back in. Tell us we are not worth it.

When I was a child I was taught to be kind, compassionate, loving and caring to others. I was also taught to put others before myself…to take care of those in need. I was not however taught to love myself…to take care of me…and to ignore my own needs. I was also taught that no matter what someone might do to me…I was to forgive except I was never taught to forgive myself. I was the child that everyone turned to when things needed fixing. No one taught me how to fix myself.

I grew up that way…I kept most things to myself…my joy…my hurts…needs. I never learned how to share those things with others…I thought that I was not important enough.

When life happened...I didn't know how to help myself...thought I deserved all of the pain...I went in to hiding...hiding behind a wall of fat...a wall of becoming unhealthy...I stayed there for many years.

I appreciate your sharing this. This is something a very much believe in myself. A lot of people think that losing weight is about the here and now, and don't have the desire or capacity to look back at what happened to get them here. Sometimes, when those of us talk about the "early days," we get people reeling against the attention we're giving it, saying we're seeking for excuses. In a way, to explain is to excuse, because explaining and, ultimately, understanding, leads to knowing the why of things. It's not excusing in the sense of removing blame, but rather to say, I know why this happened as it happened, and I'm not going to beat myself up about it anymore. Writing about it sometimes puts the question in front of people that are not ready to handle it.

One of the things I like to think people appreciate about being friends with me on here is that I don't BS around. Not long ago, I updated my status. I said something to the effect of, "Yes, I had Arby's. No it's not a cheat day. Why don't we call it what it really is? It's 'I didn't feel like having the SlimFast that I brought for lunch today and curly fries sounded delicious, so I got the curly fries and ate every bite, despite having a healthy option easily available' day." I think people really want to focus on removing the "feeling bad" aspect... and I'm not saying that we shouldn't learn to forgive ourselves... But I do think that acknowledging those downfalls for what they are is very important to understanding our hurdles and potential temptations.

It's something I've written about before, the root causes of things... and I am going to be flooding my outside journal with entries this weekend to catch up. One of those entries is actually going to be about these roots, about the darkness. I'll share it on MFP because previous candid posts have helped others... so they say anyway.

For example, and I've actually shared it recently in the forums, after having written it over a year ago... I wrote a modest length entry about how I felt that losing weight was making me ugly. Just as you say in this writing, that you're not as thrilled as you thought you'd be... I was writing about the changes I saw in myself and my attitude, and how I wasn't really sure I liked them very much. I think it's a worthwhile thing to think about if a person is emotionally ready to face the issues.
  • Quasita

I'm glad that you and Quasita expressed this POV. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not firmly planted in the "need outside support" camp; my motivation has always stemmed from within. I've never been thrust forward, or pushed back, because of bullying or negativity, and I've never relied on anybody's support, caring, or cheering for inner motivation. For me the loathing of being fat has always been the motivation I needed, whether I stepped out on that motivation or not. I've just always been both my biggest motivator, and harshest critic. I've thought several times before that I truly believe I'd still lose the weight even if I was the only man left on Earth. I just hated having my body buried in blubber that much. I didn't like the look of it, the feel of it, and most importantly, the way it made me feel about myself.

It's such a blessing though to see it from the perspective of other people. To be reminded that yes, this journey really is so personal, and so varied, amongst us all. To be reminded that many of us really do need community, understanding, and support to reach our highest selves. And while that doesn't apply to me much in the arena of weight loss, I definitely can see that need in other areas of my life.

I was thinking about this just now, and I wanted to say that I do understand both sides of the coin. I struggled with depression and binge eating/bulimia/anorexia (cycling one after the other) for so long that I think the time period where I was purely just frustrated with being fat was clouded over.
    I honestly love my body. I really do. There are not many days that I look in the mirror, and think, that's disgusting. My eating disorder issues weren't even really rooted in hating my body, as is stereotypical. It was more that I believe life was meaningless, that no one loved me, and my existence was pointless, so what did it matter if I ate, didn't eat, ate till it hurt?

I think part of having a community is having a group of people that are paying attention to your details, who can see the things you can't. Sometimes we are so critical of ourselves that we can't see how we are changing... How our faces are slimming, our endurance developing, etc etc. Other people can sometimes open our eyes to these things.

Will also say that when I've been really sick due to the complications, I've been surprised. For example... Last year, I had to be hospitalized (again) on my birthday of all days, for a life-threatening infection that I had been fighting for months... a complication from a previous surgery. By that point, MFP had seen me work hard and then have to deal with complications, several times. Anyway, I updated my profile here, depressed and upset. Members who knew my name and the hospital I was at sent flowers, called... I even received a gift bag full of magazines and some balloons. It's part of why I came back after recovery.

I totally respect the fact that some people do not feel it is pivotal to their experience with weight loss. I'm just saying, some of us, our lives may have been essentially saved by community support.
    Part of the sadness in my post is due to the fact that friends I've made here have accomplished their goals and thus left the community. It's a happy sadness.. But feels lonely when you know you're going to be here much longer.
  • mgpearce4
    mgpearce4 Posts: 71
    Hey y'all! I'm on here to add some MFP friends for motivation and support. Feel free to friend me!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Don't give up, ever!!!! Even if you never find another person to connect with, and your going at this alone, just don't give up.
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    I'm a super fat man who is taking his weight loss super seriously.

And I'm old enough to know I don't know much about anything. My years of absolute certainty are decades behind me now, alas!

Like you, I don't really get involved in the social side of MFP. I use it to log my food and track my progress. However, I have found that participating in some of the group challenges has engaged me.

Don't give up! Logging every day does help me, maybe it will help you too.

Frank (FTW37)

Nothing to add that has not been said in this thread, but congrats Frank on the 182 pounds lost.

Very impressive!!!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member

Where are all the super fat people that have stopped feeling sorry for themselves all the time, and are actually taking this seriously? Who have moved past letting their heavy body be an excuse for why they don't exercise? Who will help me feel like I'm not so alone in fighting an almost impossible beast?

Here I am! We're friends, and I don't make excuses, I'm just on here tracking every day and talking about fitness and health goals. I've surrounded myself with similar people, no matter what size they are or where they are in relation to their goals, and my list is a great place. No whining, no bull****, just honest discussions of what's working, what's not, what's hard, what we're having trouble with today, what feels amazing.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member

This is so true! Sometimes I get fed up of being the only one out of my friends to workout/eat well, one or two of them do it for a short while then give up...but you know what, the results I live with from my efforts are all worth it!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Okay the only thing I can say here is ... if someone is here daily they are serious about losing, or maintaing or whatever it is they are here to do (some are here to gain weight also). If a person starts a profile and they are gone within a month with little or no effort to learn something then they weren't serious.

Some people feel the need to lose some of the weight before starting to exercise - honestly a girl I know says she won't go to the gym until she loses weight - I tried to tell her that people aren't watching HER at the gym they are worried about themselves.

Whatever it takes to get someone to be serious ... it's THEIR journey ... not mine and not yours. They have to find what works for them and eventually will if they are serious about the weight loss.

Yes lots make excuses but many don't so we have to just worry about our own journey and let the rest worry about theirs.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Hey y'all! I'm on here to add some MFP friends for motivation and support. Feel free to friend me!

OK, Quasita, you gotta admit, this Up-Arrow.png IS funny.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

OK, Quasita, you gotta admit, this Up-Arrow.png IS funny.

LOLsigh

:laugh: