WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I have a question for those with diabetes. If you have allergies, is there anything you can take that doesn't affect your blood sugar? My DH usually doesn't have bad allergies but started sniffing a bit after working in the yard. Last night he took one of my Claritin D and this morning his sugar reading was about 140. He is usually about 114-120. Thanks!
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning Lovely Ladies,

Marking my spot. Moving back into kitchen today and tomorrow! :smile:

Have a wonderful day.

Prayers to all! Hugs to those who need them!

Cindy in OK. :heart:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning Lovelies,

Well I'm pretty proud of myself this morning. I had to go to a meeting right after dropping off Aaron at school, my usual exercise time, and I came home, changed my clothes and GOT IT DONE! Shaun T tired to kill me this morning but I stood up to him and his evil planks, push ups, et al.

Got a little work done and am just taking a quick lunch break to plan the next couple of hours I have until it's time to go get my child. Still haven't decided on dinner but I have a feeling it will involve ground turkey.

Strength, fun and happy day to all!
    xo - Gloria in sunny but still cold as crap Metro Detroit
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I’m sorry that your DH had a panic attack. I hope you feel better soon, too.

Rita: I’m glad your stress level is dropping. Mine is easing up, too, and I feel much better. Stress is miserable.

Sylvia: You are so right when advising people to read meat labels. The chicken breasts we used to buy from Costco had 15% saline solution added. At least Costco was forthright about labeling, I was the one who never bothered to read the labels. When my husband had a stroke, I suddenly became a lot more vigilant. The government tobacco subsidy was good business for accountants everywhere. I don’t know about farmers.

Laura from GA: I’m glad you’re back. There will be no penance assigned. Just get back to healthy habits and come for all the support you need.

Yanniejannie: Your adjustments to the turkey chili recipe sound perfect. Thanks for sharing.

LucyT: Keep an eye on that pain and don’t be shy about visiting the doctor if it doesn’t go away quickly.

Sue in SD: My mom had to take prednisone for a long while and hated it because of its side effects. I hope this isn’t going to last forever. Congratulations on your increased strength! That is a wonderful non-scale victory.

Vicki: You are taking proper care of yourself. Congratulations. The colonoscopy prep was not fun for me. Be sure to stock up your bathroom with good reading material. I think that your old friends not recognizing you is a form of NSV. It would make me feel odd if it happened to me. It is proof that you’ve made some significant changes.

Alison: It sounds like your FIL is in a good situation. My mom hated it when we put her into assisted living, for about a day. She found a wonderful group to eat with and who were good friends to her. You are in my prayers.

Barbie: Happy belated birthday. I hope I wished you happy birthday before, but I don’t remember. I like simple pleasures best, too.

Sandy in ON: Thinking of gifts for your son, I’m coming up with 30 of this or that, but tickets to his favorite team’s game or his favorite music performance also come to mind.

Gloria: I LOVE Endangered Species dark chocolate. My local store has quit carrying the individually wrapped bites so I order them on line now.

Margaret: Your visit to the art museum sounds lovely.

Gail: sorry to hear your dog is having health problems.

Michele: thanks for the support for telling Dh about my feelings. It has worked out fine, and he needed to know. Walmart is the only store in town that sells new clothing, so I usually go to Portland or Beaverton to shop for clothes, but I did get undies there and am happy with them. We have what I’d describe as a “starter store” Walmart. It is much smaller than any I’ve seen elsewhere and has less items and choices.

Meg: I think daily goals are the best idea. There is less opportunity to put things off and never get to them. Thanks for your kind words. I’m going to my doctor this morning to review what happened and get some better understanding and advice. If it was acid reflux, it seems that my medicine is not as effective as needed. I wonder what she’ll say about that.

Sue in TX: I think that the area of the slide was very rural and had a low population. I doubt any of us live close by and home that no one we know has lost family members. It is tragic and I have sympathy with the survivors who have lost family, friends, and homes.

flygirlRC: Welcome.

Lin in Central Iowa: Great picture! I’m happy you’re here again.

Renny: Nice to see you. I just changed into a purple top to show my support for epilepsy treatment and research.

Anamika: Teaching so many classes is a huge challenge. Stop in when you are able.

Cougarose: Welcome. All you needed to do was post. You’ll get to know us as time goes along.

I need to leave for my doctor appointment. I’ll stop back by when I can. I’m feeling good today and we have the car business managed to a comfortable level.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone! I did something I have never done before--I slept through my alarm! As in, I slept through 40 minutes of fairly loud music playing right beside my head. My phone woke me up but I went right back to seep. I think my body is saying "enough!" (Michele, didn't you do that the other day? Must be something about the weather here.)

Heather - Thanks for your openness about your childhood. Mine was similar (not my father who did the sexual abuse, but various relatives) and I, too, have spent countless hours in counseling. At this point in time, I've spent so much time working on the sexual abuse, that it is not a major problem, it is the physical and emotional abuse by my parents that plagues me.

Allison - You do need to take better care of yourself, both emotionally and physically. If you can swing it at all, I would strongly suggest a counselor. I've been seeing mine off and on for 21 years in addition to the myriad of marriage counselors that my ex refused to listen to. I don't see her so much on a regular basis now, but I do go in for mental health check ups just like I go to my primary care doctor for physical check ups and, when I hit a rough spot, I call her.

Amaika (sp?) - It's so hard to not take things personally, isn't it? I get so frustrated with my jobs sometimes and have to remind myself that it is not life or death and that I need to chill! It sounds like they may want your fresh ideas in the other grades. Maybe you should try looking at it as they liked what you did before, so they want you to share that experience with the other grades.

Whoever had the brownies - There is no way a pan of brownies would last three days in my house. It would be a miracle if they lasted three hours!

Gotta get to my other job now! Have a great day!

Carol in sunny but cold NC
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for all the support and suggestions about low sodium foods!! :heart: I have found tracking sodium via MFP has been really helpful. One thing that has helped me is using dried beans and not canned. I think they taste better and I don't have salt to worry about!

Katla - Loved all of your suggestions. I remembered your talking about puffy fingers and am using that as a sign too much salt has snuck in somewhere. Most of my rings are a wee bit loose, so if they fit well, it's a sign to me to get even stricter about salt.

Sylvia - appreciate the advice and the recipes. Will have to try the bread baguette - I have done a fair amount of bread baking in my life and I know (from forgetting it) how tasteless totally salt-free bread can be. I also like the Mrs. Dash Tuscan blend, especially in omelets and crust less quiche.

Renny - wearing a purple mock turtleneck today, thinking about your Dad. :flowerforyou:

Meg - will be sending you my email!! :happy:

Jill in western MA

Snow missed us though it's cold and windy today.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It has been a busy day for me here. My son had his medication port installed in his chest this morning, which is just minor surgery, done with conscious sedation, but he was out of commission so I got up at 6:30, picked up all three kids, took two to school, went to the grocery store to pick up cupcakes for oldest granddaughter's birthday and took them back to the school, then took the little guy to buy new shoes, then went to the library for story time, then to lunch at McDonalds, then dropped him at school. Then came to my studio to do some drafting work that had to go out today. Now I'm so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open. I'm thinking of trying to get a nap before I have to go pick up the kids again and take them home. At some point I have to go home to get the granddaughters birthday gifts. Then tonight hubby and I are driving all three kids to a town about 30 miles away so their mother and other grandparents can see them on the oldest's birthday. These are the nasty hateful people who refused to let us see them for almost 6 years, but we won't go there. We will just bite our tongues and be the bigger persons. Right!

I've been reading the news about the mudslide in Washington. it's heartbreaking. I hope all our Pals are safe.

Tigress - I had a rude server problem at Pizza Hut once. Hubby and I went there for supper. We were there about 90 minutes and still no food, so I asked about it. I then heard the "manager" tell a worker "You have to be careful with those fat bitc**s. If you don't feed them quick enough they complain." Big laughs all around. I called the home office the next morning and they were both fired immediately. Hey, if it weren't for fat people those places would be out of business.

Kim - here's a recipe I found online for low sodium hot and sour soup.
    http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/05/4100110/eating-for-life-hot-and-sour-soup.html

Flygirl - I really love Great Danes! Tell us all about yours! Right this minute I'm looking at a Cesar dog food ad off to the right of the screen with a Great Dane sitting in a lady's lap. That must hurt! I know it does when y 30 pound mutt jumps in my lap.

Anamika - I'm so sorry you have such stress with work. I hope it settles down soon.

Today's joke of the day is a long one:

:laugh:
    God created the donkey & said to him: “You will work unceasingly from sunrise to sunset carrying burdens on your back. You will eat grass, you will have no intelligence & you will live 50 years.

You will be a donkey. “The donkey answered: “I will be a donkey, but to live 50 years is too much. Give me only 20 years. God granted his wish.

God created the dog and said to him: "You will be a dog.” You will guard the house of man. You will be his best friend. You will eat the scraps that he gives you and you will live 25 years. You will be a dog. “The dog answered: “Master, to live 25 years is too much, you give me only 10 years. God granted his wish. God created the Monkey and said to him: “You will be a monkey.” You will swing from branch to branch doing tricks. You will be amusing and you will live 20 years. You will be a monkey. “The monkey answered: “Master to live 20 years is too much, you give me only 10 years. God granted his wish.

Finally God created the man and said to him: “You will be a man, the only rational creature on the face of the earth.” You will use your intelligence to become master over all animals. You will dominate the world and you will live 20 years. Man responded: "I will be a man but to live only 20 years is very little, give the 30 years that the donkey refused, the 15 years that the dog did not want and the 10 years the monkey refused. God granted his wish. And since then, man lives 20 years as a man, he marries and spends 30 years like a donkey, working and carrying all the burdens on his back. Then when his children are gone, he lives 15 years like a dog, taking care of the house and eating whatever is given to him, so that when he is old, he can retire and live 10 years like a monkey, going from house to house, from one son or daughter to another, doing tricks to amuse his grandchildren.

:tongue:

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day.
    Had a rough nite.Knee swollen,pain.Made an appt with dr.She ordered an xray,showed arthritis which I knew.Pain unbearable.
    She ordered an MRI to rule out a tear or anything else.Mri is on Tues.
    Could use some prayers,thanks
    hugs
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, loved the joke. Yep, that about describes how and who we are.

Tigress, yes that's my toroise in my pic. she was still in the adolescent stage then so is a little bigger now. She is my sweety. Just like out previous cat, Adora, she has chosen Charlie as her human although she was bought for me. Both cats were rescue cats. Only way to go. I just love it when she 'talks' to Charlie and can get quite impatient when he doesn't listen and answer how she wants it to be.

I am at it again. Today while Charlie was out I grabbed the bag the bag of chocolate rice snack cakes type chips and ate the whole bag. then I have to hide the evidence. I really need to get a handle on this. I just wish I had the gumption to log it all. Maybe then I could see what kind of damage I am doing. I know what would be best would be for me to just quit getting them. But they are so good. Just like the skinny cow ice cream treats, you are lulled into thinking they are 'so called healthy snacks' and are safe. But only if you eat them as described, not the whole box in one setting. Oh, geezzz, I have a tummy ache.

Talk later. Joyce, in sunny but chilly Indiana
  • Dinah2
    Dinah2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I was looking for a group over 50 and here it is. I'm 58 and lost weight before but after holidays, vacations, etc. I have gained it back.

I just bought a total gym for strength training and have a treadmill I walk 30 minutes a day. I also log everything I eat and try to stay between 1,000 and 1,200 calories since I am only 5'1" so ....

Would like to join the group for support motivation etc.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Jane, from one knee sufferer to another - big hugs!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Done my x- ray. No queue. Hooray! Had a lovely shop around the beautiful city of Winchester. Thinking about something for my granddaughter's christening in May, but could easily wear the dress I wore for DSIL'S 60th last year. It's on my profile photos. I will wear it next week at dinner for our outing with the jag. Only worn it once so it's a nice opportunity. :bigsmile: I bought some base and topcoat for nail varnish as I will be bare legged and sandalled. I will be applying fake tan in advance as my legs are luminous white!:laugh:
    DDIL has asked me to make the christening cake again, The last one for DGS was a great success. I am thinking roses and swags snd pearlised dust. I will find out if she has a favourite stuffed animal and create one out of sugar paste. May christening. I am thinking yellow roses and red swags on a white, pearlised background. Last time I created a model of DGS so will get started on DGD ! !, ! The biggest problem was transporting a two tier cake. We bought some non-slip mats for the car trunk and kept the tiers separate until we got to the venue. They arrived in good condition. My fat photo on my profile is from the christening. Two years ago now, though I did get even fatter! The christening was in March and I started my diet in June. It will be a bit difficult as we are away in France until a couple of days before, so all will have to be prepared and we will have to assemble it all in two days. Doable I think, but planning required!:tongue: Big responsibility - cake for 40 people.

Love to all. Hugs for Carol as fellow survivior. :heart:

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to mark my place.:drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Jane. Another osteoarthritis sufferer here...whose orthopedic guy doesn't want to do a knee replacement yet because I'm "too young". After the next 10 kg I'm going back to more or less insist on it.

Cynthia
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Flygirl RC, Lin, cougarose, Dinah !!

Anamika – wow, working with people can be so tough! So classes do you teach? And are the grades set up similar to the states were 6th grade would be about 11 years old and 9th about 14?

Alison, you are getting good vibs from California!!!!!!!!!!!! Please take care of yourself :smile:

Sylvia - Thanks for the recipe link! I love having you do my research for me! I’ll try this next week and report back.

Jane – take care- sending good thoughts your way:flowerforyou:

Joyce – what if you didn’t buy them for a week or two instead of never again? And the 11 comandment according to MFP is thou shalt log !

Heather – I am impressed – my mom did some cake decorating – it was never something I learned to do.

I made JB's chard quiche - without the crust -so good!! A couple of hints, 2 lbs of chard takes a bit of chopping so don't wait till the last minute :wink: the chard I had was the red chard - it tastes great, but the red colored the egg mixture so it is a salmony color, a bit strange to look at. I cooked it in a pie plate, it needs a 10 inch or bigger pan but it would be great in a square pan almost like a frittata.

it rained here last night and all morning Yeah!!! we need it so bad.

Well more work to be done -
    Smiles Kim in :love: rainy:love: N. CAL
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    my pint size counselor just arrived about 20 minutes , so excited to have her for the day tomorrow.... will see you in the morning...:bigsmile:
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - had my first knee replacement done when I was a couple months short of being 53. I had been getting pretty conservative treatments til then (Synvisc injections, some physical therapy, etc.) The estimated life of the knee replacement would be good to know, so you can get a rough idea of when it potentially might have to be redone. Losing weight helps a lot, so everything you are doing here will gradually help your knees. You might want to consider getting a second opinion form another orthopedic surgeon, especially given your pain level. I do remember that pretty vividly and feel for you.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Jill in western MA
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Jane, hugs from another arthritis sufferer. Had knee surgery a couple of years ago for a torn meniscus, so feel your pain! :heart:

Dinah, welcome!

Tired from all of the moving today. Hubby and I treated ourselves to pizza and wine. Still believe I will be under calories for today.

Have a wonderful evening and sleep well tonight.

Hugs to all,

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hey Jill, thanks. Yes, it's the combination of my age (54) and overweight, influencing the life span of the new knee. I really want to get it done, though, because I basically do not walk except in the house. I bike everywhere else. And the hip on the other side and my back are getting beaten up because of it too.
    You're right; what I'm doing here is helping me.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kim, I needed that reminder. What are the other 10??? I am usually pretty good about logging everything that is healthy but just leave out the bad stuff. Doesn't happen often but when I go off the wagon I go bad.

Heading out to my first choir practice in many years. Excited!!!

Joyce, Indiana.
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I haven't posted anything for a while--I often log my food and scan thru your posts on my lunch break, then no time to respond. I continue to be encouraged by your successes and empathize with your struggles. I've checked out some other threads, and often see that people just want to criticize the poster. But all of you are so supportive of each other :bigsmile:

Still waiting for spring. I was able to take a walk outdoors after work once last week, but it's been back to the treadmill since. :grumble: But they're promising 50's by Sunday!

Prayers for those of you with health issues or family members who do.

Looking forward to the Sweet 16 starting tomorrow night. Go Badgers! :happy:

Kay - Wisconsin