My Experience with Raw Vegan 80/10/10 Challenge Month

Options

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is an extremely restrictive way of eating. And I'm 100% supportive if it works for a person, keeps them feeling good, and reaching their goals.

But I do find it pretty amazing that veganism, and the even more extreme raw vegan 811 diet, garners so much positivity, yet any thread about paleo, low carb, or any other such programs, that aren't anywhere near as restrictive, almost always get swamped with bashing, arguing, and gifs of off-program food.

I think it's more to do with how they are presented and the people they attract. I think there are certain trigger words that people do a search for so they can jump in the threads.

I tried being vegan when I was a vegetarian, hard to find stuff in vending machines =/
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is an extremely restrictive way of eating. And I'm 100% supportive if it works for a person, keeps them feeling good, and reaching their goals.

But I do find it pretty amazing that veganism, and the even more extreme raw vegan 811 diet, garners so much positivity, yet any thread about paleo, low carb, or any other such programs, that aren't anywhere near as restrictive, almost always get swamped with bashing, arguing, and gifs of off-program food.

For me it's because at least Paleo followers are usually trying to find a healthy path and have just fallen for some silly pseudoscience. This here is just BSC, and if someone wants to follow it there's no helping them.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! I also like to experiment with nutrition, just to see what happens. I wanted to know what it felt like to remove all processed foods from my diet and started a Plant Based Whole foods diet (not raw or vegan). I went 100% in and even avoided oils. It was hard at first, but there were so many wonderful things to eat (including sweets) that I never missed anything. I included a lot of juicing as well to make sure I was getting all my micro-nutrients. After my "experiment" I felt so much better that I'll never go back. Medical issues I'd suffered with for many many years vanished! Including chronic constipation, gas/bloating, acne, migraine and tension headaches, low energy levels, and a few others.

I however did lose some muscle and strength, even though I didn't lose weight. But I'm not an "athlete" per se and now I'm focusing on exercising more and working on getting my Macro-nutrients closer to what they should be while continuing to be Plant based.

The only things that make this way of eating more difficult is food prep, grocery shopping, and eating out it takes time but I'm getting better at it.
  • Rusty612
    Rusty612 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in because I'm also a raw vegan - I don't do the 80/10/10 combo, I just focus on meeting my nutritional requirements for nutrients and eating when I'm hungry. Sometimes that means two avocados per day!
    I dehydrate a lot of snacks so that I have bread, crackers, cookies, etc - all are nut/seed based, so I probably eat more fat than most. I run for exercise and the raw vegan eating plan means I don't get sleepy before my afternoon runs and I don't cramp up when I run.
    I eat, on average, 33g of protein per day - the average American consumes 117.
    I feel like everyone's body has their own unique way of utilizing what's put into it - if I eat meat, dairy, eggs and conventional breads, I get depressed and slow - sick, even. Eating those things and logging net 1200 cal/day I can actually GAIN weight!
    As a raw vegan, I actually go over my net goal by several hundred calories on a daily basis, but I feel so much better and I actually lose weight at a reasonable rate (1-3 lbs./week)

Besides... every time I sit down to a heaping plate of zucchini noodles with a "cheezy" nut-based sauce on a bed of chopped spinach, all eyes glint with jealousy :D
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I'm Vegan and have been meatless for going on 8 years. During that time I slowly progressed to where I am (first giving up red meat, then poultry, then seafood, then dairy, etc.)

I'm a high mileage cyclist and recently adding running (planning to do a 50-mile ultra by the end of year). Last year cycling miles was near 10k. I have been collecting bloodwork/lab results over the years as well and I've found the results to be staggering--so much in fact the average medical rep. doesn't know how to respond to me. My resting heart rate is also below 40 BPM.

Not here to brag or say any of you should choose a whole food/plant based diet; however, I know it works for me and I feel it gives me a distinct advantage in training. I am interested in comparing notes with others. I log all activity here and Strava and also post plenty of food and riding photos on instagram. Feel free to hit me up and we can compare notes.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I feel it gives me a distinct advantage in training.
    Have you tried it back to back with other diets?

What makes you feel that?
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • Lard_Vader
    Options
    I feel it gives me a distinct advantage in training.
    Have you tried it back to back with other diets?

What makes you feel that?

No, I haven't. That's purely based on comparison to self (the way I feel now vs. before). Granted I am in much better shape these days than I used to be. And, I hate to compare myself to others, because I think there are too many unfair variables (what others diets may be, amount of training applied, and topography of where you train). Having ridden 170 miles solo recently with little time of recovery to get right back at it again, I feel as though that's an advantage pointed at my diet. 70% of stress to the body is in diet. Surely there are meat-eaters that are probably capable of the same; nonetheless, if you know of any I'd like to compare training/lab results over the last several years.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for long-term results...

...and science.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think you may be focusing on the wrong thing. This particular thread went well mostly because the OP went out of his way not to be preachy, condescending, defensive, or prone to butt-hurtedness. He talked about his experience, said "do it if you want" and reported some data without seeming like he was emotionally attached to a diet. He didn't react like a 9-year-old when questioned and even played along with some of the jokes that were posted.

That's not the diet. That's the poster. I've seen paleo threads here go the same way. I've also seen vegan threads derail into name-calling and kitten gifs. Bashing, arguing and gifs aren't tied to a diet.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Don't know any on here, though certainly a couple of friends (who eat meat etc) I know had planned their 1000 mile or so trip to the South of France to take 10 days. Did it in five.
    One has since become a *serious* cyclists - at the time they didn't pay much attention to nutrition and the like as far as I know.

Similarly, I recently did a 32 mile ultramarathon. Different sport, but similar idea. It was an offroad event with around 4500ft of climbs - took me seven and a half hours. Longest I'd run before was 11 miles. I didn't have problems with energy. I ate about 175g of meat protein the day before, more in the morning.

I'd certainly agree that a LOT of carbs is ideal for endurance people.
    Not sure I've seen any proof that where the carbs come from makes any difference.

As far as negativity goes - a previous thread by the OP got a lot.
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think you may be focusing on the wrong thing. This particular thread went well mostly because the OP went out of his way not to be preachy, condescending, defensive, or prone to butt-hurtedness. He talked about his experience, said "do it if you want" and reported some data without seeming like he was emotionally attached to a diet. He didn't react like a 9-year-old when questioned and even played along with some of the jokes that were posted.

That's not the diet. That's the poster. I've seen paleo threads here go the same way. I've also seen vegan threads derail into name-calling and kitten gifs. Bashing, arguing and gifs aren't tied to a diet.
    So, you're saying to hold off on dropping the gif with the cat putting his paw over Ariana Grande's mouth?
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I know I couldn't do it.

As a meat eater, my poops are very clean, small, once a day (always in the morning around the same time) and food takes 24 hours to go through me. Even cooked food. Even meat.

I know this because of "markers" like bean sprouts, corn etc... that sometimes don't get totally digested.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Did you eat your sweet potatoes raw? It seems like they would be a little hard.

What did you use for fuel on long rides? When I ran far last year, I used date balls as fuel. I'm not sure if they qualify as raw vegan or not (I don't know the rules): rolled oats ground into flour, mixed with cocoa powder and dates in the food processor, with a little honey to keep them together and some salt for electrolyte replacement.

That actually sounds like a great recipe, thanks!
  • Lard_Vader
    Options
    Don't know any on here, though certainly a couple of friends (who eat meat etc) I know had planned their 1000 mile or so trip to the South of France to take 10 days. Did it in five.
    One has since become a *serious* cyclists - at the time they didn't pay much attention to nutrition and the like as far as I know.

Similarly, I recently did a 32 mile ultramarathon. Different sport, but similar idea. It was an offroad event with around 4500ft of climbs - took me seven and a half hours. Longest I'd run before was 11 miles. I didn't have problems with energy. I ate about 175g of meat protein the day before, more in the morning.

I'd certainly agree that a LOT of carbs is ideal for endurance people.
    Not sure I've seen any proof that where the carbs come from makes any difference.

As far as negativity goes - a previous thread by the OP got a lot.

Congrats on the 32-miler! I may hit you up for some notes as I get closer to mine. I just finished reading Scott Jurek's "Eat & Run" book--I think you are right with your assessment "a LOT of carbs is idea for endurance people."
  • Rusty612
    Rusty612 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before my runs I eat something similar - I pit a medjool date and insert a raw pecan half.
    A couple of those and I'm all set to go!
    Did you eat your sweet potatoes raw? It seems like they would be a little hard.

What did you use for fuel on long rides? When I ran far last year, I used date balls as fuel. I'm not sure if they qualify as raw vegan or not (I don't know the rules): rolled oats ground into flour, mixed with cocoa powder and dates in the food processor, with a little honey to keep them together and some salt for electrolyte replacement.

That actually sounds like a great recipe, thanks!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 32-miler! I may hit you up for some notes as I get closer to mine. I just finished reading Scott Jurek's "Eat & Run" book--I think you are right with your assessment "a LOT of carbs is idea for endurance people."

I love his vegetarian chili recipe! His re-fried beans were a staple of mine for a while, too.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    To anyone interested in long results to a frugivore diet similar to what ernestbeck did for one month, check out Durianrider on YouTube.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    To anyone interested in long results to a frugivore diet similar to what ernestbeck did for one month, check out Durianrider on YouTube.
    And DO expect to find a heavily marketed 'brand' where even questions asked about that may not have the answers they like are summarily removed!

Much as he may claim to be 'exposing myths', he also seems to be trying to create more by not giving all the information and promoting various habits that aren't optimal.
  • Lard_Vader
    Options

Much as he may claim to be 'exposing myths', he also seems to be trying to create more by not giving all the information and promoting various habits that aren't optimal.

I'd agree to that. I like Durianrider, but you have to read between the lines with a lot of his stuff (and Freelee also). He'd be better off exposing a balanced diet then preaching [just] 30-bananas a day, etc. I get the shock factor, but it seems to do more harm than good.