Planet Fitness kicks out Muslim woman for wearing head scarf

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.

Really? I'd talk poorly of any company that I feel has faulty logic, poor business practices, and in fact, can cause harm to their customers. What do you think the Better Business Bureau does? Yelp?

This is also a good point. I went to Mexican place back home (Aiea, Hawaii) and the service was crap, the food was awful, and my drink was a watered down mess. I certainly did go to Yelp and 'bad mouth' that establishment. /shrug

If there philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

Yep you fit right in. With the not judging.

:laugh:
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.

Really? I'd talk poorly of any company that I feel has faulty logic, poor business practices, and in fact, can cause harm to their customers. What do you think the Better Business Bureau does? Yelp?

This is also a good point. I went to Mexican place back home (Aiea, Hawaii) and the service was crap, the food was awful, and my drink was a watered down mess. I certainly did go to Yelp and 'bad mouth' that establishment. /shrug

If their philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

PF's philosophy is to not judge people, by excluding people, clothing, and equipment that doesn't fit their 'mold'. None judgement via exclusion is something I have no problem mocking.

But again, keep showing that 'No judgement zone' spirit. Remind me why when I was overweight and out of shape I still preferred to work out with 'lunks and meatheads'. I'm not intimidating or in amazing shape, I don't grunt or drop weights, I don't walk about in tiny shorts or my sports bra, I'm slow and become out of breath after about 2 miles...and Planet Fitness is still a place I'd never visit.

Again you're assuming every PF is exactly like the one in the story. Moronic. Places have dress codes. Have you ever been in the real world or do you live in some fantasy land?
  • mondriantree
    mondriantree Posts: 37 Member
    Options

If their philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

PF's philosophy is to not judge people, by excluding people, clothing, and equipment that doesn't fit their 'mold'. None judgement via exclusion is something I have no problem mocking.

But again, keep showing that 'No judgement zone' spirit. Remind me why when I was overweight and out of shape I still preferred to work out with 'lunks and meatheads'. I'm not intimidating or in amazing shape, I don't grunt or drop weights, I don't walk about in tiny shorts or my sports bra, I'm slow and become out of breath after about 2 miles...and Planet Fitness is still a place I'd never visit.

Very well put! Forcing people to fit a mold is still judgemental!
    And as someone who is looking to lose weight by starting lifting I would definitely go to a bodybuilder gym!
  • MBrothers22
    Options

If there philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

Who am I judging? If a business lays out what they are about and you go in there and get mad because it's something different, that's your own fault. How is that hard to comprehend? If "insert gym name here" promotes a body building attitude and I go in there not wanting to feel judged in my efforts to lose weight, it's my own fault for being dumb

Annoying, grunters, meatheads, dumb-- these don't seem like judgmental words to you?

Truth hurts sometimes
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I find the fact that you think people exerting themselves enough to not remain perfectly silent while working out to be annoying to be...kind of disturbing.

Also, just so we're clear, headbands are also annoying? And skinny strapped tank tops? And that's why they're banned?

There is no reason to grunt to the point to where it's audible for people on the other side of the gym. Zero. If you want the attention to be all on you, go to some meat head gym. As I already said- I see people with headbands all the time at PF so I don't really know how much truth there is to that. And I don't pay attention enough to skinny strapped tank tops... whatever that is. I certainly see people in tank tops

I like making noise when I exert myself... it adds to the pleasure.

OK well I'm sorry you have no consideration for anyone else around you.

829174.gif
  • MBrothers22
    Options

And as someone who is looking to lose weight by starting lifting I would definitely go to a bodybuilder gym!

Forcing? Did a PF employee come to your house with a gun and FORCE you to pay them and go to their gym?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Who am I judging? If a business lays out what they are about and you go in there and get mad because it's something different, that's your own fault. How is that hard to comprehend? If "insert gym name here" promotes a body building attitude and I go in there not wanting to feel judged in my efforts to lose weight, it's my own fault for being dumb

Annoying, grunters, meatheads, dumb-- these don't seem like judgmental words to you?

Truth hurts sometimes

Someone seems jealous.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Truth hurts sometimes

Someone seems jealous.

Of.....?
  • mondriantree
    mondriantree Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Forcing? Did a PF employee come to your house with a gun and FORCE you to pay them and go to their gym?

Lol you have got to be a troll. To be honest your responses are making Planet Fitness look even worse than the article.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I've never experienced a judgmental gym. I've done water aerobics with the older women when I was 20 and we all encouraged each other. I've gone to the gym when I had little babies in the child care. I've gone with injuries. I've gone when learning how to lift weights. I've never judged or intimidated. Or experienced that. The body builders have always been supportive to me. I've been going to gyms for 18 years (half of my life) and even worked at the fitness center in college.
  • albin79
    albin79 Posts: 1
    Options
    Didn't read all of this thread but I'm tired of the "religious" wanting special rights. Either we can all wear headbands in this place or anywhere else or we can't. We should respect those who wish to believe in whatever Bigfoot they want but when they demand extras that the enlightened do not receive we should say "no"!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Again you're assuming every PF is exactly like the one in the story. Moronic. Places have dress codes. Have you ever been in the real world or do you live in some fantasy land?

Where did I say I assumed anything about anything? I'm not making assumptions, I'm going off of their 'philosophy' and the ads they put forth. No lunks, no meat heads, no grunting, removal of squat racks, and those ads that made fun of people who lift, people who do yoga, and so on and so forth.

Moving on: I was in the military. To this day I work out in military gyms. I know a thing or two about dress codes; I lived and breathed codes and regulations. I don't have an issue with dress codes...when applied evenly and fairly across the board and not for arbitrary reasons such as 'You're a little too in shape'.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Lol you have got to be a troll. To be honest your responses are making Planet Fitness look even worse than the article.

I don't care how PF looks. The one I go to is awesome. But you acting like they force anyone to do anything is ridiculous. Don't like it? Don't go. Don't go to the gym and complain. It only makes you look silly
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Truth hurts sometimes

I imagine those who are judging always feel it's the truth, but that doesn't make it any less judgmental.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Truth hurts sometimes

I imagine those who are judging always feel it's the truth, but that doesn't make it any less judgmental.

:flowerforyou:
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet fitness where I live. I have never seen any type of discrimination of any type. They are always polite, helpful, helpful and supportive. I suppose we can always look for and find bad wherever we go!
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Where did I say I assumed anything about anything? I'm not making assumptions, I'm going off of their 'philosophy' and the ads they put forth. No lunks, no meat heads, no grunting, removal of squat racks, and those ads that made fun of people who lift, people who do yoga, and so on and so forth.

Moving on: I was in the military. To this day I work out in military gyms. I know a thing or two about dress codes; I lived and breathed codes and regulations. I don't have an issue with dress codes...when applied evenly and fairly across the board and not for arbitrary reasons such as 'You're a little too in shape'.

You're talking about PF as if all of them don't allow those things. Which I'm TELLING you isn't true. Nothing has to be fair in a business. It's their rules. If you don't like it, don't go
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Truth hurts sometimes

I'm talking about those who it IS true for.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When you go to planet fitness to get a membership they walk you through everything, the rules, how to use mechines etc before you sign on the dotted line. If planet fitness was the only gym around then that's different.

With that siad, I think she will probably win because of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. I do think that she knew exactly what she was doing......

Oh and I was "kicked" out too from Planet fitness for wearing a beanie it was a very cute one too it was a shame that I had to take it off In order to get back in...oh well
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all of this thread but I'm tired of the "religious" wanting special rights. Either we can all wear headbands in this place or anywhere else or we can't. We should respect those who wish to believe in whatever Bigfoot they want but when they demand extras that the enlightened do not receive we should say "no"!

solid first post.

Seriously?
This discussion has been closed.