Smugly overweight??

Options

Replies

• Julieanne611
    Options
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that, while fat is fat, high-calorie, fatty meals from scratch are healthier than comparable processed meals.

Also, I really, really love to cook, too. I'm great it. However, being a great cook doesn't mean you have to serve high-calorie meals. Why not put those skills to use in a more healthful way? Grab some vegan cookbooks. Try your hand at ethnic foods. I'd suggest Indian or Asian, since these seem to be lowest in fatty, unhealthy ingredients. Trust me, making delicious, healthy meals that are nice to look at is not easy. This way, you could still show off your talents, but without all the unhealthy ingredients. Save the homemade breads and fatty sauces for special occasions.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah... fat is fat. Doesn't matter where it comes from, just sounds like you're trying to justify how you got overweight by comparing it to someone else who doesn't eat as well as you at home, but is still overweight. Might want to get off your soapbox.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    no such thing as better fat. i too cook things from scratch. i don't want my kids filled with preservatives and chemicals. so when i decided to lose weight, i realized that i was actually being a better mom by teaching my children healthy eating. don't get me wrong, we still use plenty of fats - i prefer butter to margarine, etc. but we've scaled back the sugar and flour. whole grain bread is still ok for the kids - i don't eat it anymore. baking is out - except the occasional fruit crisp with oats.

as for time, i work outside the home 60+ hours a week and I still find time to cook healthy meals, count calories and go to the gym 4 x a week. it's not easy, but if i can do it, a stay-at-home mom should be able to eek out a little time.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I am also a SAHM, and like you, I pride myself on my culinary abilities and love to show them off. I cook and bake from scratch, and completely identify with using plenty of butter, eggs, etc... BUT- I also log my food. I actually find it easier to accurately log my intake when I'm eating things I've prepared, because I know exactly what went in. The recipe calculator here is probably my best friend on this site- sure, it takes a bit of time, but once you have the recipe, it's there. At first, it felt like it took me a long time to make recipes, but now I'm adept enough to enter everything in while said dish is cooking, or after dinner is done and everything is cleaned up. The biggest difficulty I had was figuring out the proper selections for ingredients- unfortunately, there's a lot of inaccurate entries on here. However, being as precise as possible (including raw when searching for produce helps get the accurate entry) helps cut down on searching for the proper ingredient.

Given your culinary prowess, you should give yourself the challenge of making phenomenal, from-scratch meals that are also healthy. It can be done.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to weigh in on if your excess weight got there by better means or not.

The simple conclusion is if you continue to eat the foods that you do, in the quantities that you do, with the level of activity that you have, you will remain overweight, and likely continue to gain a bit of weight over time.

If you're happy with that, continue on. If you're not, something's gotta give.

I don't think you likely have to change WHAT you eat (unless you want to). But I think you really should know how much you're eating. If you build a recipe as you make supper (add butter to the bowl? Add it to the recipe on MFP), after time most of what you make will be in the database for you, and logging becomes that much quicker. Want a second slice of that thing you just made? Sure. But at least know that it'll cost you xxx calories.

If you're interested in losing weight, you're best to get on knowing how many calories you're consuming.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Agree with what peoples have already said. It doesn't take that much time to log your recipes and weigh your ingredients. The majority of fruits, veggies and proteins are in the database, it doesn't take very long to weigh something before using it. That's just an excuse.

Fat is fat, doesn't matter how you got here as long as you're willing to do the work and make the changes to get it off. Cooking with lots of butter, eggs, flour etc is totally fine. Just log it and log realistic portions of your recipes to fit in your calories and macros each day.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    5 pages of responses and not a single one of them from the OP after the initial post? Or did I miss it?

I cook, I LOVE to cook..I bake and I'm good enough at it to do it as a side job on occaision. I got fat because I didn't follow portion control and didn't know how to say no. It has nothing to do with the type of food I was making. To say it's because you are such a good cook you can't push your own plate away is rationalization.

It's cool though..almost all of us here have been there..or we wouldn't be here..You're in the denial phase...You'll snap out of it soon enough. :flowerforyou:
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Seems like a waste of time for everyone to comment...OP hasn't even came back on...
    Why ask then???
  • kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    Anytime I've caught myself smugly justifying why I'm not like everyone else who needs to lose weight, I've realized that I am making excuses for myself, and not holding myself accountable for the decisions I (and I alone) make in my eating. Once I realized I was doing this, was when I finally started to make progress with weight loss.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Seems like a waste of time for everyone to comment...OP hasn't even came back on...
    Why ask then???

Perhaps OP has read all five pages of comments and is too embarrassed to reply? That's my hope, because there is a lot of great advice.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being smug because you can make kickass food. Just don't use pride in cooking well as an excuse for why your weight is "okay." Cooking is a wonderful hobby, but does not justify eating as a hobby.
  • LouLoulost
    LouLoulost Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being smug because you can make kickass food. Just don't use pride in cooking well as an excuse for why your weight is "okay." Cooking is a wonderful hobby, but does not justify eating as a hobby.
    perfectly said
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Being such a good cook should mean that you should be able to figure out ways to make the things you love healthier, and still taste great, and you should be able to make smaller portions too, so that there isn't so much to eat if you don't have any will power.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Some of our favorite meals, that we continue to make regularly, came from when I did Whole30, which forbids dairy, sugars/sweeteners, grains and legumes. Just about everything was super healthy and much of it was quite delicious. For the record.

You can eat things filled with eggs, potatoes, butter, cream - if you eat smaller portions, if you expand your other meals to include less of those things or you opt to increase your caloric burn in some way.

I'm not smugly overweight like you - I pop through McDonald's a few times a week lately, instead of making my own food from scratch, but I recorded another 2 lb loss today. So if we're competing (which we aren't) - who wins this round? I'm currently down 13% of my total body weight, even though some of my food is crap. You are up 30 lbs because you don't want to change anything. Maybe just reflect on that for a moment. Determine your priorities, adjust accordingly.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Personally It does not matter to me how I got fat, whether from homemade food or restaurant food. Point is, I ate too much of it, all of it. Fat is fat, no matter where it came from.

I am worth the time it takes me to log everything I eat. At this point in my life it is what I have to do to keep up with my new lifestyle.

I realize it may take you a little extra time to log everything when you cook as you do for a family, but it is up to you to decide whether it is worth it or not.

Good luck in your journey.

tumblr_m7643jcWcY1rziwwco1_400.gif
  • wnlbutterfly
    wnlbutterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A great cook can cook healthy meals too without losing favor. And it sounded like you are making more food than necessary for your family size? I would hope you would want to model good portion control to your children too before weight becomes an issue for them as well. Just a thought.

As for count the calories...yes it will take more time but after you get some of your favorite recipes logged in and counted on calories it will be easier the next month (I assume some of your favorites you make at least on a monthly basis).
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    One of the lame, pamsy reasons I put off starting "a new healthy lifestyle" is because I'm a cook. I'm a damn good cook. I love delicious food. I love chef-driven restaurants. I cook nearly every meal my family (of three!) eats. I make my own bread every weekend (which is weird, since I actually don't eat it, but my husband and son do).

If it wasn't clear: I love food.

And that love made me fat. Really, really fat. Because I ate WAY TOO MUCH of that good food. I also felt that my love of food meant that I could eat out all the time, and enjoy beer and wine whenever I wanted, and eat as much of my delicious baked goods as I could without exploding. Because I had made it, and therefore it was better for me than munchkins from dunkin donuts.

But - SPOILER ALERT - that was bull****.

I started logging calories. I took the 10 minutes a day to input my recipes into MyFitnessPal, changing the exact quantity of the item as I cooked to adjust it to my choices in food preparation. I decreased my portion size and started eating like a healthy person instead of an obese person.

So, same food, but more mindfully prepared and more mindfully eaten.

Like magic, I weigh 133 pounds less and we still cook and eat amazing food. I still make elaborate 6-layer cakes for birthdays. But when the birthday's done, it gets wrapped up and put in the freezer for an occasional indulgent treat instead of a non-stop cake-eating extravaganza.

It's possible to be a kitchen goddess and a healthy weight. You're simply choosing not to.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    AND because I make so much from scratch, it's a huge pain to count calories because only a few things come with "reliable" labels as we go through tons of produce and protein.

I also have to call this out as being bull****.

The majority of my cooking is also with produce and protein and other things without labels. But the MFP database, girl? It has those things in it too. My carrots don't need a label; the USDA did the work for us. And though my straight-from-the-farmer grassfed beef doesn't have a label, I can do just fine finding a comparable entry in the database.

This is an excuse. You want it or you don't. If you don't, that's fine, but just know that it's sure as hell possible to make this work.
  • Tmickey71
    Options
    I was searching malnourished and Obesity & came to this discussion. I think it's idiotic to call obese people malnourished. Malnourished refers to people in third world countries who are starving and don't get enough to eat. I think of malnourished in a negative way, who on earth started saying obese people are malnourished? Dumbest thing I have ever heard of.
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As a good cook, you shouldn't struggle to lighten up the recipes you love. I cook all our meals at home from scratch, and once I got into the mind-set haven't found it too difficult to lighten up my favourite recipes. Simple things like not using as much olive oil, one cal spray instead of butter, not as much cheese or reduced fat cheese. When bread crumbing things using panko with reduced fat natural yoghurt to stick it rather than egg.