bump for inspiration !
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Follow this recipe, but then add tuna to it! It's really good!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetabledishes/r/spinachcaserole.htm
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    yes exactly. By typing any response, you have just added this thread to your "my topics" tab. So when people don''t have anything to say that they want to add to the conversation, but they want to be easily able to retrieve the thread, they just say "bump" . It also makes the thread appear on the main page so it gets more attention.

Thanks for explaining and thanks to the young lady for asking, I was felling like the old timer that didn't know what everybody was talking about.
    V/r,
    DW.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I personally can eat tuna right out of the can, but when making a snack or a meal (like I just did 20 minutes ago) I put any or all of the following for moisture, Sriracha Chili sauce, mustard, EVOO, mayo w/olive oil, then of course any spices that you like. Plus egg for extra texture and protein, I have added both hard boiled and over easy. I also like adding pickles to the mix. Oh and try a little old bay too.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Mmm...lots of good tuna ideas here...thanks everyone! I had tuna with 1 tbsp lite mayo and 30 grams of fine chopped celery and a little salt and pepper yesterday and it was a nice change of pace. All the different ideas here have inspired me though to try different flavorings.
  • trulieann
    trulieann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • trulieann
    trulieann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump. :smile:
  • SunshaunSmiles
    SunshaunSmiles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas! Bumping to read later.
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • usmc01462
    usmc01462 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with boiled eggs and a little mayo
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Mix it with GREEK yogurt instead of mayo for a healthy, protein-rich alternative. Add in whatever you love with it (celery, apples, pickles, beets, etc. anything crunchy!!), and season it. Then, instead of wrapping it up in a tortilla or putting it between two slices of bread, wrap it up in some strips of cucumber! Like so:

R8ZZ9td.jpg

Super healthy alternative to regular tuna salad on bread! :)

That looks delish
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    These sound good, but I would add onion to mine.
    Tuna patties are where it's at. I don't have any clue what their calorie count is but here's what I do and it is delicious.

Open and drain several cans of tuna, empty tuna into mixing bowl.
    Open a pack of saltines and start crushing them over the tuna and mixing them in.
    Add an egg or two depending on how much tuna/crackers you are making.
    Eventually you get this mixture that you can form into balls, this is what you're looking for

Now heat up a non-stick pan and spray it with some no stick spray.
    Form a couple tuna patties and toss them in, browning them on each side.

These things are super delicious solo or with some peach mango salsa. I usually make quite a few all at once and toss the rest in the fridge. They reheat pretty well!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I mix it with Light Miracle Whip. Doesn't add many calories, and tastes good. A lot better than Mayo, in my opinion.
    Mmm...all these sound REALLY good.

I really love tuna. Too bad the tastiest way to eat it almost always includes added fats (mayo, cheese, eggs, etc.).

A friend told me an old bodybuilder trick is to add lemon juice, sanlt, and pepper to egg whites and mix it into the tuna in place of the mayo. Anyone heard of this or tried it?
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mix with fat free cottage cheese and a squirt of mustard. Consume.
  • ebonaskavi
    ebonaskavi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love to mix it with avocado as previous posters have said. I usually add a little bit of chopped celery for crunch. Lemon pepper seasoning is also really good with it.

I also love a tuna nicoise salad which is sort of the French version of a cobb salad. There are a lot of different versions out there, but it's basically some steamed green beans, chopped tomatoes, warm potatoes, tuna and vinaigrette on a bed of lettuce. If you search for it you'll find a bazillion recipes for it and it's really tasty, easy, and the leftovers taste better than the original. It's a great recipe for spring/summer with fresh veggies coming in to season.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for ideas as to what to do with water packed tuna - you know the tasteless low calorie choice. Other than combining with low cal mayo, does anyone have any good ideas as to how to make it taste good?

I eat tuna in a pouch, because I am ok with 2.5oz and the difference between water packed and tuna in olive oil is only 8 calories, plus olive oil is a good fat. Admittedly I eat Mexican brand, ( Tuny , Dolores or Nutri-Tuna ), but I would think that the difference in calories is about the same in other countries. I find the tuna in olive oil much tastier and 8 calories are worth it ....:o).

My 3-minute recipe:
    Pico de Gallo ( onions, tomato, lots of cilantro chopped and seasoned with salt and lemon or lime juice )
    mix with tuna
    and heap on an oven baked tostada ( about 50-55 calories )
    add salsa or pickled chiles ( I like red rajas )
    ready !
    From one pouch of tuna I get two heaping tostadas or three moderate ones, which makes a whole meal from 200-250 calories, depending on how many tostadas I eat.
  • lilsaph
    lilsaph Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bumping, in for new recipes :-)
  • 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wanted to increase my protein but not the fat, so I'm adding 2% cottage cheese to the tuna in place of the mayo. Dried dill, diced pickles, and my husband also likes to add a chopped hardboiled egg to his.