Why am I not losing? I want your opion!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just know that if I chose to eat the sugar coated things, if I chose to eat the ice cream. I'm not going to lose weight

Lots of people "know" things that are in fact totally wrong. You're not alone in that regard.

It's fine to ignore that what I said is right, until you find out for yourself. It figures the one line about caramelized onions would be the one everyone picks apart. lol. Love the forums.

eta.. ah and you are right.. caramelized onions have no sugar on them. So I would count them as a serving of vegetable. I was thinking more along the lines of vegetable that are actually covered in sugar or salt and cooked. Ah i mis spoke. My bad. I'm sure people will rail on that one statement forever. It's ok.

1) The idea that adding sugar to a vegetable means it doesn't "count" as a vegetable is one of the more inane, illogical, irrational things I've ever read on MFP. And I've read some doozies. That concept is so profoundly wrong that it's mind-blowing.

2) I've been eating ice cream and fast food and sugared vegetables for years, and I've been doing OK. Weight loss is about calorie balance, not whether you put sugar on your vegetables and somehow negate them.

Your view of sugar and mine are vastly different. I no longer argue the sugar point in the forums. I simply state what works *for me* and you can do what you want with it. I don't count *any* sugar coated foods as healthy and I avoid as much added sugar as I can. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it is healthier to eat that way.

Either way. If you are hungry all the time following a particular diet, then it is not the right diet for you. More vegetables and fruit, more lean meats and less salt and sugar is the way. No diet to follow. Just healthy, preferably whole foods that you cook up yourself paired with portion control. That's the winning combo.
    Isn't fruit basically sugar'd vegetable?

Deep thoughts.

Fruit is magical

The sugar is locked up within fiber molecules, neutralizing its ability to neutralize the vegetabley parts.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The PaleOMG Thanksgiving Carmelized Onion and Sausage stuffing has no, none, zilch, nada, sugar, or sweetner added to it.

It does contain:

1lb ground pork sausage
    2 yellow onions, sliced
    1 sweet potato or yam
    1 container of mushrooms, roughly chopped
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 cup pecans, chopped
    2 eggs, beaten
    ⅓ cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
    2 tablespoons fat of choice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    salt and pepper, to taste

You're welcome.

It's delicious and I would encourage anyone whom eats cooked veggies to try it.

The recipe can easily be Googled.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    So many responses! But I have to add my two cents' worth. It is OK to be hungry. If you're hungry, check in with yourself. Have you eaten enough calories of healthy food in the last four hours? If so, wait a bit. I notice if I tell myself it's OK to be hungry, and wait a bit, the hunger goes away for a while. I don't have diabetes, so I have a rule that once I eat, I don't eat again for four hours, no matter how hungry I think I am.

So keep reciting to yourself, "it's OK to be hungry for a while."
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The PaleOMG Thanksgiving Carmelized Onion and Sausage stuffing has no, none, zilch, nada, sugar, or sweetner added to it.

It does contain:

1lb ground pork sausage
    2 yellow onions, sliced
    1 sweet potato or yam
    1 container of mushrooms, roughly chopped
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 cup pecans, chopped
    2 eggs, beaten
    ⅓ cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
    2 tablespoons fat of choice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    salt and pepper, to taste

You're welcome.

It's delicious and I would encourage anyone whom eats cooked veggies to try it.

The recipe can easily be Googled.

That sounds pretty good. I'd probably swap the pork for turkey though.. and skip the nuts. i'm not a big fan of them.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    If anyone does make it... it is an absolute pill that takes hours, so I recommend to triple the batch.

I fell in love with it at Thanksgiving and knew it would make a comeback as a main dish later on.

It may not be currently in my fridge, but it is in my heart, my food journal, my post, and my mind as a future endeavor once more.

It stored in my fridge about two weeks, providing several lunches. I can't really say how many, it depends how much you put in a serving and how you measure it etc...

It does make a perfect quick lunch, balanced and soooo savory (I love herbaceous food).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I didn't read most of the thread but I did just check your diary.

From 3/15 to 3/24 you were a total of 5512 calories over your goal for that time period. That's an average of over 500 per day over goal.

So..... that could have *something* to do with your lack of weight loss.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Yep, exactly.

I need a realistic goal. It's set at 1200 right now.

That does average to over 1,900 per day.

Tonight when I get settled I'm going to try to calculate my TDEE, then set my goal according to that.

I get caught up in this mindset "Well, my goal is 1,200, my basal rate is XXXX, so if I stay under it, my TDEE is XXXX, so I can go over my weight loss goal as long as it won't be making me gain..." And so on and so on and so on.

I think I need a really clear calorie goal, then try to force myself not to go over it.

Like we mentioned before, my calorie count is all over the freakin' place. No consistency at all.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yep, exactly.

I need a realistic goal. It's set at 1200 right now.

That does average to over 1,900 per day.

Tonight when I get settled I'm going to try to calculate my TDEE, then set my goal according to that.

I get caught up in this mindset "Well, my goal is 1,200, my basal rate is XXXX, so if I stay under it, my TDEE is XXXX, so I can go over my weight loss goal as long as it won't be making me gain..." And so on and so on and so on.

I think I need a really clear calorie goal, then try to force myself not to go over it.

Like we mentioned before, my calorie count is all over the freakin' place. No consistency at all.
    I found it was a lot easier to stick to a calorie goal when I raised it a little bit. When I lost a few pounds over the summer, I was eating 1800 calories a day, and that was doable with a TDEE of about 2300, so I would recommend that you maybe try to shoot for 1600. When you get able to stick to that, you can consider cutting back a little bit on the days when you are less hungry, so that you can bank those calories for another day when you're extra hungry. But you can only eat extra up to the amount you've banked, of course.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of aiming for 1,600 daily, consistently for 2 weeks, then see what happens. I want to hear what Fullsterkur has to say. Of course I'm open to trying new things, that's why I asked everyone for their opinion!

I tried to remember everyone's questions and such without quoting a ton of stuff. I like the idea of reducing carbs, but I don't want this to turn into a thread that's a Paleo debate, which is why I chose not to share that info from the beginning.

Thanks all!

Keep it coming, I'm hearing and considering it all.

:drinker:

I like this idea too and am attempting it over the next two weeks (having - like you, spent the previous ones going a bit all over the place).

Will send you a friend request if you want an accountabilibuddy. :wink: :drinker:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing that I don't understand. The original posting says, you wanted to hear everything, even out to the crazy zone. However, even things that you seem to consider in that area, you've chosen to refute.

I came back to read and catch up, and I did write another response, but in the end, it seems kind of pointless, so I deleted it. Hopefully you figure out whatever it is you were searching for with this post.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to write detailed suggestions and options. I found it very interesting.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I just know that if I chose to eat the sugar coated things, if I chose to eat the ice cream. I'm not going to lose weight

Lots of people "know" things that are in fact totally wrong. You're not alone in that regard.

It's fine to ignore that what I said is right, until you find out for yourself. It figures the one line about caramelized onions would be the one everyone picks apart. lol. Love the forums.

eta.. ah and you are right.. caramelized onions have no sugar on them. So I would count them as a serving of vegetable. I was thinking more along the lines of vegetable that are actually covered in sugar or salt and cooked. Ah i mis spoke. My bad. I'm sure people will rail on that one statement forever. It's ok.

1) The idea that adding sugar to a vegetable means it doesn't "count" as a vegetable is one of the more inane, illogical, irrational things I've ever read on MFP. And I've read some doozies. That concept is so profoundly wrong that it's mind-blowing.

2) I've been eating ice cream and fast food and sugared vegetables for years, and I've been doing OK. Weight loss is about calorie balance, not whether you put sugar on your vegetables and somehow negate them.

Your view of sugar and mine are vastly different. I no longer argue the sugar point in the forums. I simply state what works *for me* and you can do what you want with it. I don't count *any* sugar coated foods as healthy and I avoid as much added sugar as I can. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it is healthier to eat that way.

Either way. If you are hungry all the time following a particular diet, then it is not the right diet for you. More vegetables and fruit, more lean meats and less salt and sugar is the way. No diet to follow. Just healthy, preferably whole foods that you cook up yourself paired with portion control. That's the winning combo.
    Isn't fruit basically sugar'd vegetable?

Deep thoughts.

:laugh: That is all.
    Fruit is magical

The sugar is locked up within fiber molecules, neutralizing its ability to neutralize the vegetabley parts.

Damn phone.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Quasita,

There's quite a difference between hearing advice and following it.

I do want to hear (and consider) what everyone has to say.

That doesn't mean that I am going to do everything that everyone says.

I appreciate everyone's contributions, I'm sure they are coming from a place on what has worked for them, or possibly just being silly (cooked veggies aren't veggies, etc...).

That is fine and exactly what I was looking for when I made the post.

The advise is all over the board here, and lots of it is quite debatable. It would be unrealistic to run off and do everything that was suggested at once.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I do want to:

Lose slowly, and lift because I know this is why my skin isn't all saggy already.

Exercise out doors in a practical fitness style.

Have a diet comprised primarily of veggies, fruit, meat, eggs, nuts, tea, coffee and dairy.

Have my vices like booze and chocolate once a week bare minimum.

Have a diet and lifestyle surrounding it that is realistic and practical that I can carry on for the long term and use forever, on that I'm satisfied and happy with, and one I feel good about, that makes me feel good.

Cook large meals that I can eat throughout the week for maximum satisfaction for my goals.

Since chocolate and alcohol are deal-breakers, I would say find a way to include them on a regular basis, while recognizing that you probably won't get to have them in the amounts you want. (Most of us cannot. :cry: )

Can you get creative with cooking desserts and making drinks? (I'm not saying cauliflower ice cream, but there are actually some recipes out there that are less binge provoking and still tasty. ChocolateCoveredKatie's garbanzo bean/white bean chocolate chip blondies is one of my favorite desserts. Most of her recipes can be made gluten free.)

And either drink one beer a day, or make a larger amount a once a week (planned and accounted for) treat. Or twice a week.

To me it really comes down to portion control, which comes down to logging. You'll be fine if you stick to a moderate deficit. (I like to calculate my range: how much to eat to lose 1 lb a week and to maintain. Anything eaten in that range will keep me working toward my goals.)
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The author George Blair-West in his book Weight Loss for Food Lovers (a doctor and a psychotherapist), makes some interesting points in his book. Science evidence shows 80% of people who diet after 2 years have given up and are heavier than when they start, and we know diets are one of the primary causes of eating disorders. Some of the things that from looking at how those 20% actually loose weight and keep it off for more than 2 or more years make sense. (There is published info on that group of over 20,000 subjects.) They generally eat big protein based breakfasts. They eat a LCHF diet (i.e. low carb high fat diet), they weigh themselves regularly, they eat "whole food, mostly plants, not too much". It does appear that "mini-binges" are the cause of failure. You have to have consistent calorie deficient over a week / a month. Blair-West says that if you have "high sacrifice" foods - such as chocolate, you have to make room in your eating to have those treats. If you don't your subconscious desire to have them will defeat your self-will. When you do succum, you then have what he describes as a "what the hell moment". That's the time when you choose to have 1 piece of chocolate, but devour the whole block. Self control is really good for short term stuff, like sitting exams, or doing something for a day / a week, but not a lifetime or a "lifestyle change". The consistent things in the 660 known diets include lower carb diets (e.g. down from 50% to 25% of the diet), reduction or elimination of added sugar (so that means most bread and manufactured food products get eliminated from the diet as a consequence) and higher protein. (High protein suppresses appetite),
    The particular tactics of how you maintain that calorie deficient are varied, and while you can loose weight on a twinkie diet, you are most unlikely to be doing it in 2 years!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I still haven't calculated my TDEE. I'll try this afternoon.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not fall in the camp of people that believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Not all calories are created equal.

Personally, I tend to feel excessively hungry after a carb binge, even if it's a natural and wholesome source of carbohydrates (fruit). I absolutely avoid empty carbs at all costs--I never cheat with wheat and most grains are out of my diet altogether. I feel like this is one of the main reasons that I've continued to see the success that I have.

I notice that your carb counts are actually pretty modest in your food diary, usually ending the day at right around 100 grams. Would you be open to cutting that goal down to 50 or 60 grams per day? That could be what you need to get you over the slump.

If you're having difficulty feeling satiated, increase your healthy, whole fat intake. Don't be afraid of dietary fat--eating fat absolutely does not make you fat. That's just science. If you do decide to drop your carb intake, don't make the mistake of increasing protein a ton to make up for the calories; your body may have the capability of turning excess protein into glucose (the science is still out on this point, but I prefer to err on the side of caution).

3000 calories over is still a complete destruction of deficit. It doesn't matter if she consumed it in crunchy health stuff or pop tarts. It still kills the deficit.
    Double true. That's almost an entire pound.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Breakfast is overrated.
    For some people it is, but it has nothing to do with weight loss. :smile:

How do I know this? Because I LOVE breakfast, it's my biggest meal of the day, and I've lost 42 pounds.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along?

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Can't we all just get along?

Well, this is a discussion forum and not everybody will agree. :wink:
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    so wanted to do a gif comment..just dont know how...meeeow!!