WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Been a few "off" days.........kept up with reading but that's about it. Blah, just blah blah blah.........and this rainy weather and lack of sun is not helping. Would love to get out in the garden but it's either been too cool or rainy. Sleep has been off too..........and watching WAY to much trash on Netflix. So, there you have it. Congrats to everyone of you with losses and NSV's and welcome to our newbies.

Volunteered this am at a 5K to benefit colon cancer research; tomorrow will be helping at the finish line for one of our elementary school races.

I am debating calling Gwen's sister and making her aware of what she is walking into with Gwen's mental state---the bug and cleaning obsession continues.........not sure how much to reveal or if I even have the right at all to do this. A major new wrinkle, today; all I can say is, I'm VERY happy to be taking her to the dr. on Monday as I am realizing how very ill-prepared I am to handle all the manifestations of her state............and she may well be placed in hospital, at this point, frankly, I'm thinking she needs this. Will go by her house tomorrow after the race and have someone else loooking in tomorrow am.

Heather..........The one huge bright spot is that BBC Desert Disc show....THANKS so much for that recommendation!!! I've listened to it twice now and enjoyed it thoroughly each time. What a useful, marvelous life she has led. I have alwayes liked the piece "If" and find it fascinating that she became Buddhist.

I leave you all with a favorite quote of Buddha:

"You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."

Hugs to all. G'nite.
    yanniejannie
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Gloria – Congrats to Aaron! And to you for a week of T25:happy:

Pat – what a great NSV!!! 3 size smaller shirts is excellent:happy: :happy:

Brenda – 16 lbs!! excellent:laugh:

Kitcat1163 – welcome, it is trial and error- so like I now love brown rice but when I first converted to it I did ¼ brown and ¾ white… and have made the conversion so now I am 100% brown.

Carol – great job and what a sale on the dress! Great compliments from DD :happy:

Michele - they are not sweet enough for me... I did think I might try them again and put in a cup or so of fresh raspberries, might have to add a tablespoon or 2 of flour to keep the consistency right - that would make them sweeter but be healthier than sugar.

Yanniejannie - giving family a heads up on Gwen seems like a good idea - it really seems like she could use some sort of living environment that has someone right there, but also some freedom - there are senior living places here that would provide that but they are $$$$.... sending good thoughts to you

Have not done enough moving today; most of the work I needed to do was at my computer or sewing machine, not the embroidery machines... May try to see if I can find some exercise thing on youtube... as it is raining and I just don't feel like bundling up and dealing with a wet dog.

I have set up a facebook page for my embroidery business if anyone is interested to see some pics of what I do here is the link...https://www.facebook.com/LivingGourmetDublin

Thankfuls - I have forgotten to do these recently - I am thankful for rain, for the kindness of strangers, for Levi, for each of you, for patience, for creativity...

Good night all,
    Kim in rainy N. CAL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Watching figure skating on TV while riding the exercise bike didn’t allow me much time for working at the computer….that along with cleaning out the garage and starting practice for the line dance performance at the county fair has kept me from being in touch with all of you. The accountant finished with our income tax….we get money back….we reviewed the return, signed the necessary document so she can file the return, wrote a check for her services, and mailed the paper and check to her. Our work is done and soon we’ll see our refund.

:flowerforyou: Wednesday we had a potluck at our house and I had four pieces of Costco vegetarian pizza. I didn’t log my food, but I had decided ahead of time that I would eat that much pizza. We sent all the leftovers home so there would be no breakfast pizza “pig-out”. On Friday I went to a potluck and ate my regular Isagenix shake at home and ate nothing at the potluck. My friends in that group know me well enough that they make no comments at all about my not eating.

:bigsmile: I am still teaching the beginning line dance class and loving it……..the teacher is still having trouble with her feet so even though she’s recovered from her cataract surgery, she’s still not ready to come back to teaching.

:brokenheart: :cry: Vicki, so sorry about your dad…..good that you got one last visit.

:flowerforyou: Patty, I usually plan my food for the day ahead of time so that I know what the bottom line will before I eat. Even on the big pizza splurge day, I knew ahead of time what I would be eating and stayed with my plan.

:flowerforyou: Rita, when we moved up here, it took us at least a year to get comfortable and connected with the community……keep on keeping on and do not be discouraged.

:flowerforyou: Kitcat, make changes one at a time…..baby steps work best..start by adding healthy foods before you subtract the unhealthy ones…..pay attention to which foods make you feel more satisfied…..and never, never, never give up

:flowerforyou: Carol, it takes time to get used to the “new you”

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 21,000 steps today ---strength training----exercise bike
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Kitkat ... congratulations on quitting smoking!! This is a huge accomplishment! The only way I'm able to eat healthier ... and believe me, there isn't a carb out there that I don't love ... is to make sure that I manage my day in such a way that I can eat some of the things I crave. If this is my new lifestyle, then it has to include things like really tasty bread and good chocolate. I don't eat "diet" foods for the most part ... don't like artificial sweeteners ... I'm just starting to eat more clean or true foods ... but that's because of the taste, not the theory. Starting out slow is a good idea. When you experience success, you'll find there are things you can eliminate to make room for things you love.

Alison ... your attendance at the funeral is solid proof that you are indeed a very special person. Believe it.

Carol ... today I found myself between the Women's and misses departments. And yes, I felt a little odd ... it's been a long time since I've shopped there. I'm still in the Women's department for tops, but definitely moving into smaller pants! Yay!

Cynthia ... I had a loss this week and a great day shopping ... then I came home and ate 3 brownies!! What is up with that kind of sabotage?

Brought home 5 pairs of pants today to try and figure out which looked best. Made the mistake of asking husband to help me decide. His response was they all looked the same ... Sheesh... they did not! Finally settled on a pair and asked if he was sure. He looked at me like I was addled .... I asked him to "feminize" his response ... so he told me they "fit nice and made me look thin" Bingo!

Unbelievably, it is snowing here tonight ... already about 3 inches.... blech.

Beth in WNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: "Do you realize how many politicians it takes to get a pound of brains?" LOL! Thanks!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Patceoh: Congratulations on the new, smaller clothes. They’re such a wonderful reward for hard work.:flowerforyou:

Renny: A good bike is a wonderful thing. I loved my bike and when we switched to trikes, I loved my trike even more. I hope you find something that you’ll enjoy.:flowerforyou:

Brenda from MD: Congratulations on your diet success in your “Choose to Lose” competition.:flowerforyou:

Kitcat: Welcome. It sounds like you’re off to a good start. You’ll make your choices one day at a time, and gradually find your way to foods that you enjoy and are able to eat in moderation. Just be patient with yourself and the process. Quitting smoking is a major achievement. WTG!:flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: Congratulations on all your successes, especially getting a good night’s sleep.:flowerforyou:

Alison: Listen to Michele! She is so right. I agree completely with her that stress quickly adds on the pounds. I suspect the body goes into “hoarding mode” and hoards fat to tide itself over through a crisis.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your recommendations and advice are golden. I envy you for being done with your taxes.:flowerforyou:

Beth in WNY: Your DH finally came up with a great answer about your new pants. Yay for him!.:flowerforyou:

I’m still tired. I haven’t done much today, took a nap, and will be ready for bed early. I did manage to make a good chicken noodle soup using thick frozen noodles from the grocery store, left over chicken and veggies that I happened to have on hand. Much to my surprise, I ended up not salting my bowl of soup. That is so unexpected. I’ve always been a heavy salt user and I’m changing my ways, much to my own surprise.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dear friends:flowerforyou:
    Thanks ever so much for your kind words and support. It was such a great feeling to receive all the positive support.
    Heather and Carol... sending you extra portions of love
    Vicki sorry about your father, hugs to you
    All of you dealing with all the trials and tribulations are so inspiring! May all the ladies here always find a source of energy to sustain themselves and overcome the hurdles.
    Like they say when Life gives you lemons..... make lemonade!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Great to see so many new friends
    Best wishes to all
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi dear ladies

:frown: Guess who forgot to change the clocks before bed last night. :embarassed: I woke at 4:30 a.m. then remembered that the clocks went backwards and though yey I have another few hours in bed. Turned over to go back to sleep when the light went on from DDs room - went to say what are you doing we have another two hours yet, when she told me "No mother, the clocks went backwards, we lose and hour! :noway: :noway: So we both got up and sleepily took the dog for a walk, I honestly don't think he was too bothered I think even he thought it was too early to go out :yawn: :yawn: But we went walking and it was very quiet - most people were still in bed - very sensible!

:flowerforyou: It's Mothers Day here in the UK my daughter Heather, has bought be a ticket to see a show at the Theatre. I am going with my sister in law Helen and her twin Judy and Judy and Heather's boss Liz and I think Judy's daughter Crystal is also going with us. I asked Heather if she was coming too but she hates crowded places and people and said "no way" We are going to see a production of "Poirot" on 2nd April. I'm looking forward to it. I'll have to make sure I don't eat too many sweets though as if I remember, the last time we all went to the theatre together Liz brought lots of chocolates and sweets to munch. What is it about going to the cinema or the theatre that makes people eat none stop? Or is that just here in the UK?

:smile: Well while it is quiet I'll get one of my exercise DVDs out, I need to plan in some exercise every day as walking on its own is not helping me lose weight. No excuses, my back is okay again.

Have a good Sunday. Hugs to those who are struggling and in pain, and :drinker: :drinker: to those who have had success this week. :heart:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody; glad Carol slept so well and hope there are others who did, too.
    Wishing everybody a good day. I hope to sit out in the sun later (suitably 'sunscreened' of course).

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! The sun is shining again.:drinker:

Wizzywig - I hate to tell you, but the clocks have gone FORWARD. :laugh:
    I hate it when people eat around me at the theatre or cinema. I give them filthy looks if the rustling gets on my nerves and have been known to shush them. I used to go to the cinema at midday when the place was more or less deserted. I never go to either now. This is someone who spent most of her life involved in Drama, with acting, producing and teaching. Having said that I do like a panto with lots of audience participation. :bigsmile: At the theatre I sometimes had an interval drink or ice cream. Stem ginger was my favourite - yum!

Yanniejannie - glad you enjoyed the programme. I find these days I would rather listen to something inspirational than a drama with nasty people in it, even if they get their comeuppance in the end! :smile: Do you do lovingkindness meditation? I find it helps me when I am a bit blah.

May I be safe.
    May I be healthy.
    May I be happy.
    May I be filled with lovingkindness.

I imagine myself sitting on a mountain top and looking out over the sunrise. Other people use slightly different wording and imagery. Then I do it for other people, ones I know and ones I don't know, but the most important is to do it for yourself.

Brenda - what a great loss! Well done!:flowerforyou:

Kitkat - what a wonderful gift you gave yourself when you gave up smoking.:flowerforyou: Like others I think you should be kind to yourself and take this slowly. I still eat white rice occasionally and portion control and moderation is the most important thing. There is no magic "bad" food and no miracle "good" food. If you make gradual changes you will be able to sustain them for ever, not just have a virtuous spurt and then collapse back into old behaviours. Denial and going hungry is not the answer.:noway:

Rita - I always think a year is the absolute minimum before a move seems to fit. Sometimes longer. My mother was always good at it because she was a "joiner" and got to know people really quickly. I am not, so it has taken me longer. The winter you have had has been enough to try anyone's patience. Do some fun things. Go on some fun outings. Join something. My yoga class has been a great help.:flowerforyou:

Beth - congrats to your husband! I read it out to DH. He laughed out loud!:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Well folks, I'm back to the beets for lunch with puy lentils I've just finished cooking, avocado and light philly. Salad bits chopped up and lots of garden herbs and garlic. I'm counting 350 cals.

It's Mother's Day over here. Of course I have heard nothing from my boys. Can't help but feel a little bit disappointed. I don't expect a big fuss, but a tiny little fuss would be nice.:cry: It's partly my own doing as I didn't bring them up to celebrate all this stuff, but as I get older I wish I had. :tongue: :bigsmile: :wink:

Love to all. Heather in sunny and gorgeous Hampshire in the south of England, UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Viv:smile: Happy Mother`s Day:flowerforyou: !!!

Heather:smile: Happy Mother`s Day:flowerforyou: !!!

Rita:smile: Sending you a hug:flowerforyou: ! Hopefully when winter is over you`ll start feeling better:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !

I`ve had company since Friday and they are leaving tomorrow morning...I have had a fabulous weekend so far:bigsmile: ! Lots of running around and lots of laughing, good friends are so good for the soul:love: !!! I just got a text message yesterday from a couple of my friends in FL and they`re coming up in May:bigsmile: , it`s been over a year since I`ve seen them, and they tell me they have big news...I think they might be getting married:love: , but they won`t confirm it yet:laugh: !

I`ve not logged my food this weekend, and I`ve done a pretty good job of choosing healthier options:bigsmile: , I did have cake one night, and it was so good! I have had more sodium than usual, my little hands are a little puffy:frown: , it`s amazing I find most things a bit too salty when I eat out now:ohwell: !

Have a wonderful Sunday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food (even though I`ve not done that this weekend:blushing: ).

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Heather: it's still early. :wink:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning Lovelies,

Congrats Brenda on your lifestyle changes and AWESOME results and also to you Kitkat for your start down a new, and often uncertain, path. It WILL lead you to places you want to go...that's what I keep telling myself anyhow:smile: A couple of years ago I quit a very light smoking habit I had for years (maybe a pack every week to 10 days). Without changing my eating or exercise habits, I gained nearly 10 pounds. Point is, be prepared to go 1/2 step back to move forward but don't give up on yourself.

Checked out, and "liked", your page Kim. Nice work. Was it you who asked me about my business a while back??? Either way, I'm still updating my Etsy shop after the life altering events of the past several months and haven't been as active as usual on my FB page but here it is, https://www.facebook.com/silvermoonbathandspa Also changed names late last year so I'm still trying to transfer over my "friends" from my previous page.

SO, goals for the week......

Continue with T25 (week 2)
    Add some more light cardio (walking, biking, etc.)
    Add some more stretching, yoga, etc.
    Less carbs and sugar
    More veggies.
    EDITED TO ADD: laugh and have a little fun!

Speaking of carbs, off to make my (healthy but carb filled) Sunday Pancakes.

xoxo
    Gloria in SUNNY Metro Detroit
  • kitcat1163
    Options

Tell us more about yourself. Do you work? Have a hubby? Do you have a support system of friends and family? Pets?

I'm disabled wih with RA & Fibro - don't work.....Single...Great friends for support system and mommy of 3 kitties! I am also a crafting fool!

Thank you for all the advice!!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep my place.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morn to all. Welcome Kitcat. There is a ton of info on these boards.I sift thru,looking for tips that look helpful to me.You can ask questions & we all do our best to answer.Another carb lover here,but not the carb stuffer I used to be.
    Every diet has taught me something,so not a total loss.......even tho they didn't stick long enough to be my "ah ha" moment
    Where wt loss is concerned.
    Bread is limited to my usual lunch sandwich,LF dairy,smaller servings,home made salad dressing,measured dessert once a day etc.Nothing diet shattering,but do think the boring,watch what you eat food plan is going to work for me.Slowly,but finally :laugh: :laugh: & way past time.

Carol,I also keep veg soup in freezer.Going to do that tomor,filling the slow cooker...For bread,I try to remember to read the calorie count,but stick with favs like Nature's Own,Sara Lee etc. Smaller servings.

Also,trying not to replace a dish with one that is low cal to begin,then loads up with butter & cheese.The best thing I have learned along the way is to go with what works for me. We are all different with different ways of cooking,cutting back or in the food plan we choose.Did I say smaller servings? Right now,that is my main job,smaller servings:wink::wink:

Having dinner at DDs today. She is a WW leader,so can relax & enjoy......Taking mashed potatoes made with chicken broth & FF evaporated milk. Have a great day. Pat in Ohio

My new Mantra is ..........Be Aware,Be Aware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Update - DS#1 texted me to wish me Happy Mother's Day. :happy: Better than nothing!:happy:

Just baked 21 zucchini tots. Going to have some for starters with other things when my brother's family come for lunch in April. Have some lovely home made chilli jam to have with them. They are about 40 cals each. skinnytaste.com. I will also keep some back for DGS who loves them. They are the first thing on his plate to disappear!
    For dinner I am having left over lamb with baked eggplant strips, also from skinnytaste.com. The strips are just wonderful. DH loves them. I find I have to prep my food more or less after lunch as I am tired and starving by six oclock!:laugh: I get as much as I can chopped and ready so it's just an assembly job.
    Tomorrow I'm going to do the 9" base cake for the christening. I've bought all the ingredients. Chocolate fudge cake! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Needless to say I will only be having a taste.:laugh: :tongue: :bigsmile: Then at least I know I have made a start.:love:
    Bye for now, Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Anamika: It is good to see you here. I hope you’ll continue to stop by when you can.:flowerforyou:

Wizzywig & Heather: Happy Mother’s Day! Ours comes along in May.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on receiving a text from DS1 wishing you Happy Mother’s Day. My kids have switched almost entirely to texting as a form of communication, supplemented with facetime calls. I did well by my mom for Mothers Day, but all too frequently forgot her birthday until later years. :embarassed: I know it caused tears more than once. When I grew up and put together a calendar I did a lot better.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I’m so happy you’ve had a wonderful time with your company and are expecting a visit from more good friends in May. :flowerforyou:

Gloria in SUNNY metro Detroit: Congratulations on the sunny day! Laughing and having fun are excellent goals.:flowerforyou:

The weather forecast says that it is raining, but reality is a combination of sunshine and fog. I can hear the foghorns out there and they have very high voices, which makes me think they’re little boats. It makes sense because we’re having a salmon run in the river right now and a lot of folks are fishing. DH will wait for warmer weather to fish, I think. Wow, the fog has lifted. Beautiful day! (for now):flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful Sunday everyone. DH went to buy more medicine and lemons for me.

Marking my spot, relapsed, still sick.:sad: :grumble:

Cindy in oK
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    OK, so I just had to go tell my 7 year old "if you EVER text me.......":laugh:

Not fond of all the silly little symbolic days on the calender that someone else made up to make $$ on one hand but, for goodness sake child, pick up the phone for your mother.:drinker:
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Why do I suddenly have the urge to attend a christening? :laugh: :tongue: