Calling all Women Lifters

Options

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for over 30 years. I'm no expert, but I prefer NOT to drink my calories. I prefer to get my protein from whole, natural foods. On those rare occasions that I'm WAY below on my protein and calories, I may have a protein shake, but I have a very hearty appetite and would rather eat my cals than drink them.

As to the "Ewww" factor, yeah, I get that a lot. Last week, I was deadlifting 250 (twice my body weight), and I got some flack from a couple of guys there about HOW MUCH I was lifting. Well, thanks, should I lower the weight to make YOU feel better? I don't think so.

Suck it up, Nancy, and grab the bar. Untl then, kiss my *kitten*. Just my $.02 worth.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options

3 hours in the gym!:noway: Do you teach classes?

No. But let me clarify... I don't do 3 hours all the time. Perhaps once a week as my decadent "me-time". Also, that isn't 3 hours of all weight lifting. It might include 30 minutes of aerobic and another 30 minutes of cool down (stretching and foam-roller self massage). So at most, 2 hours of straight lifting.

To me, a long day at the gym is like a long day at the spa for most women. I savor the chance to work every single muscle group... and lose myself in that full body endorphine buzz.... combined with that awesome sensation of complete exhaustion.
  • guardup
    Options
    As to the "Ewww" factor, yeah, I get that a lot. Last week, I was deadlifting 250 (twice my body weight), and I got some flack from a couple of guys there about HOW MUCH I was lifting. Well, thanks, should I lower the weight to make YOU feel better? I don't think so.

On a funny side note... I was doing overhead press with 50lb dumbbells on each hand, keeping my hands inside my peripheral vision to work my upper chest. A buff male trainer was doing sets next to me and stopped to watch. He politely asked me if I did that set to work my upper chest because he noticed that it made my "chest muscles really bust out".

I smiled and said "So you were watching my chest?" The poor guy immediately stammered... and I felt bad for him so I told him I appreciated his comment and know how he meant it. He was a bit red faced but we managed to trade some lifting tips.

He was much sweeter than the guys who whisper behind the back of their hands at each other with side glances at me.

And then there was the old guy who asked me if I was aware that the face I made when I was machine-hack-squatting 1,000 lbs was "not very feminine".
  • guardup
    Options
    I've had a few responses to my blog where I posted this... so I thought I would share it here in case anyone might find it interesting:

The following is an excellent article about Body Fat percentage and how to know if you are aiming too aggressively in your weight loss goals:

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

According to this, I have only 7 more pounds to go before I start digging into my Essential Fat. I'm currently at 19% and would like to shoot for 15% if (and that is a big IF) it doesn't disrupt my lifestyle or leave me feeling hungry or too cold in these New England winters.

Check out the article and let me know your thoughts.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    And then there was the old guy who asked me if I was aware that the face I made when I was machine-hack-squatting 1,000 lbs was "not very feminine".

It has never occurred to me that I needed to look feminine or carry a fem expression on my face while lifting. Brother, some people.
  • Courage2Change
    Options
    Guardup,

Thanks for that article, I found it interesting...especially when you see women advertising that they have 13% (or so) of body fat. I know too many women who work out to the point of losing their periods altogether in the name of "being fit" and "healthy". If you are an athlete and need to drop to small %'s of body, fine. But this should only be when competing. This is NOT a healthy ongoing life style. And isn't that why we are all here? Women who drop to insanly small amounts of body fat as an ongoing lifestyle are comparable to those with eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia, in my humble opinion (as in both have unrealistic body images and control issues with diet and exercise).
  • Courage2Change
    Options
    --->If my post sounded flippant about bulimia and anorexia, it wasn't meant to. These are serious conditions and I am trying to demonstrate that a low body fat % is just as dangerous.
  • guardup
    Options
    --->If my post sounded flippant about bulimia and anorexia, it wasn't meant to. These are serious conditions and I am trying to demonstrate that a low body fat % is just as dangerous.

I would suggest that TOO low of a body fat %... such as sustaining a level that digs into your Essential Fat on a long term... is dangerous. However, 15% is still considered to be a healthy, albeit low, level of body fat.

At the same time, I know men and women who struggle to gain weight and increase their muscle and body fat. However, their metabolism is so high that they have a tough time keeping up. These are the people who don't need more than 4 hours of sleep a night. And they simply cannot sit still. For them, it could be argued that a state of low body fat is natural.

The key point for me is how it impacts my energy levels. If I feel like I am sleeping better at night and have more energy during the day... and, at the same time, not going to bed hungry... then I know I have reached my otpimum level.

I have found my energy levels rise significantly since I went from 22% to 19% body fat. I will keep aiming for 15% *unless* I find, during this transition time, it impacts my energy levels negatively.

I am fortunate in that I am extremely sensitive to my body's changes and states. It was a curse as a child because I found every single bruise and wound to be excrutiating. However, now that awareness allows me to assess my body's state with an impressive level of accuracy. IE For both of my children, I knew I was pregnant the day after I conceived - despite the false negative from the home test and the Doctor's test.

My objective isn't body image (and I know you were not insinuating this in your post - I didn't take it personally). My objective is to find the state where my body feels like it is operating at a peak level of performance. This is why I focus so much on getting the proper levels of nutrients as well as counting calories.

I'll be 42 in one week. I am happy to say I am in the best health of my entire life. Now to see if there is any more room for improvement.
  • guardup
    Options
    I finally found it! The pre and during workout drink for me!

For those joining us of late... my challenge has been ongoing to find a pre and during workout drink that would give me an extra energy boost... but not give me the jitters or cause nausea after. Caffeine in dosages more than a half cup are natorious for causing me problems.

On top of that, SO MANY of the drinks out there have artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors and such. No thank you. Not if I am going to be injesting this on a daily basis.

So here is Meghan's Magical Lifting Mix:

1) Fill a cup 1/4 way with hot water.
    2) Add 3 Tablespoons of Unsweetened 100% Organic Dark Cocoa Powder (15 calories)
    3) Add 1 teaspoon of Unsweetened Organic Cinnamon Powder - the kind used for cooking/baking (5 calories)
    4) Add 1 teaspoon of Unsweetened Organic Matcha Green Tea powder - the kind used for whisking into tea, not for bagging (0 calories)
    5) Add 2 drops of Liquid Vitamin B-Complex or just B-12 (0 calories)

Stir or Whisk the mix until it is smooth. Fill the rest of the cup with warm or cold water depending on your preference. Add Organic Stevia powder to taste (0 calories). If you are lifting early in the morning before breakfast, add a tablespoon of Organic Agave Syrup... this will give you a low glycemic sugar source to keep your muscles from fatiguing too soon.

The end result is impressive:

1) This mix is FAR more affordable than your prepared drinks - ~.25 a serving as opposed to .50 - 1.00 a serving.
    2) The caffeine load is about a 1/4 cup of cofee... very manageable for me.
    3) The antioxidants are exceptional between the cocoa and the matcha - important for dealing with the free radicals that are released while lifting
    4) Cinnamon has excellent blood sugar regulation as well as antibacterial qualities
    5) Cocoa and Cinnamon are both natural stimulants and improve blood flow to the muscles
    6) The Vitamin Bs are water soluble and excellent for energy ramp up
    7) The cocoa and cinnamon combined are a good source of Iron, Calcium, Protein and Fiber.
    8) It tastes AWESOME! Hey, chocolate and cinnamon.
    9) All of the above for 20 calories a serving!

So I get a good buzz from an all natural drink that is affordable and healthy!

Which makes me a happy lifter. :)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I finally found it! The pre and during workout drink for me!

For those joining us of late... my challenge has been ongoing to find a pre and during workout drink that would give me an extra energy boost... but not give me the jitters or cause nausea after. Caffeine in dosages more than a half cup are natorious for causing me problems.

On top of that, SO MANY of the drinks out there have artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors and such. No thank you. Not if I am going to be injesting this on a daily basis.

So here is Meghan's Magical Lifting Mix:

1) Fill a cup 1/4 way with hot water.
    2) Add 3 Tablespoons of Unsweetened 100% Organic Dark Cocoa Powder (15 calories)
    3) Add 1 teaspoon of Unsweetened Organic Cinnamon Powder - the kind used for cooking/baking (5 calories)
    4) Add 1 teaspoon of Unsweetened Organic Matcha Green Tea powder - the kind used for whisking into tea, not for bagging (0 calories)
    5) Add 2 drops of Liquid Vitamin B-Complex or just B-12 (0 calories)

Stir or Whisk the mix until it is smooth. Fill the rest of the cup with warm or cold water depending on your preference. Add Organic Stevia powder to taste (0 calories). If you are lifting early in the morning before breakfast, add a tablespoon of Organic Agave Syrup... this will give you a low glycemic sugar source to keep your muscles from fatiguing too soon.

The end result is impressive:

1) This mix is FAR more affordable than your prepared drinks - ~.25 a serving as opposed to .50 - 1.00 a serving.
    2) The caffeine load is about a 1/4 cup of cofee... very manageable for me.
    3) The antioxidants are exceptional between the cocoa and the matcha - important for dealing with the free radicals that are released while lifting
    4) Cinnamon has excellent blood sugar regulation as well as antibacterial qualities
    5) Cocoa and Cinnamon are both natural stimulants and improve blood flow to the muscles
    6) The Vitamin Bs are water soluble and excellent for energy ramp up
    7) The cocoa and cinnamon combined are a good source of Iron, Calcium, Protein and Fiber.
    8) It tastes AWESOME! Hey, chocolate and cinnamon.
    9) All of the above for 20 calories a serving!

So I get a good buzz from an all natural drink that is affordable and healthy!

Which makes me a happy lifter. :)
    That sounds great! I may have to try it in addition to my banana before my morning work out.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Ok... so how many of you women lifters get "that look" from the guys at the gym that is a mix of "holy crap" and "ew... she looks TOO muscular" with a dash of "wonder what she's like in bed?" :wink:

LOL...I am not at that stage yet....I still get the "what the hell is she doing in here?" looks. :laugh: :wink:
    Edit: in the weight room, not just the gym in general. Some of the rednecks that I live around think that a woman should only be on the cardio machines....
  • guardup
    Options
    LOL...I am not at that stage yet....I still get the "what the hell is she doing in here?" looks. :laugh: :wink:
    Edit: in the weight room, not just the gym in general. Some of the rednecks that I live around think that a woman should only be on the cardio machines....

Speaking for myself, I am inspired by women of all shapes and sizes in the weight lifting area. Most of them are stepping outside of their comfort zone to do weight lifting... because they have been told or discovered that it is good for them. That is NOT an easy task. Especially if you have a bunch of muscle bound people around you pumping huge iron.

But know that when I see women just beginning this journey... and especially when I see them keep with it... I am a little bit envious. Because they get to go through that transition of seeing their body change... the excitement of realizing new definition... breaking through limits they once had... feeling STRONG for the first time in their lives.

I am more in maintenance mode now. So I don't get so many break-throughs. But I really appreciate it when those around me achieve their own.
  • Gogo76
    Options

Speaking for myself, I am inspired by women of all shapes and sizes in the weight lifting area. Most of them are stepping outside of their comfort zone to do weight lifting... because they have been told or discovered that it is good for them. That is NOT an easy task. Especially if you have a bunch of muscle bound people around you pumping huge iron.

But know that when I see women just beginning this journey... and especially when I see them keep with it... I am a little bit envious. Because they get to go through that transition of seeing their body change... the excitement of realizing new definition... breaking through limits they once had... feeling STRONG for the first time in their lives.

I am more in maintenance mode now. So I don't get so many break-throughs. But I really appreciate it when those around me achieve their own.

At my gym, I have never seen another woman in the weight room. It is very intimidating sometimes, but I am determined to shed some of this fat and become more toned and muscular. I love the way a woman looks when she has an athletic muscular look to her body. I want to look like that!

I am ready to see some changes! Right now I am not seeing any physical changes in the way I look, but I can tell I am stronger.
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    At my gym, I have never seen another woman in the weight room. It is very intimidating sometimes, but I am determined to shed some of this fat and become more toned and muscular. I love the way a woman looks when she has an athletic muscular look to her body. I want to look like that!

I am ready to see some changes! Right now I am not seeing any physical changes in the way I look, but I can tell I am stronger.
    I rarely use the weight room at my gym because I have weights at home but when I do, I am the only woman in there. I get the meanest looks from the men too.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

I rarely use the weight room at my gym because I have weights at home but when I do, I am the only woman in there. I get the meanest looks from the men too.

Mean? I don't think I've gotten mean looks.
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    I get mean looks. It's like they're pissed off that I am taking up space in the free weight area instead of using the machines like a good little girl. It could be that I workout on a military base and most of the guys there are huge meat heads.
  • Gogo76
    Options
    I get mean looks. It's like they're pissed off that I am taking up space in the free weight area instead of using the machines like a good little girl. It could be that I workout on a military base and most of the guys there are huge meat heads.

I don't get mean looks, but I definitely get the vibe that I am honing in on their space. I kinda feel like they are thinking that a little girl is trying to play with the big boys. I can just imagine the snide comments in their heads......
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I don't get mean looks, but I definitely get the vibe that I am honing in on their space. I kinda feel like they are thinking that a little girl is trying to play with the big boys. I can just imagine the snide comments in their heads......

I've not ran into anything negative at my gym.
  • guardup
    Options
    I haven't experienced any issues with the men. In fact, our biggest lifter in the gym, Scott - 6' 6" and about 270lbs of solid muscle, asks me to spot him on his 3 rep max bench press. That's 400 lbs! The other guys see this and figure that if Scott trusts me to spot him, they can too. So some of the more serious lifters now come over and ask me for a spot.

It helps that as they struggle with that last rep, I push them with "come on, big boy... you got it in you... show it to me!". Yeah, it plays to their ego... but they eat it up and are very polite about sharing their benches and weights with me.

The other thing I do is that if I see a guy doing something really interesting, I ask him about it. Most guys love to share their knowledge.

I'm not a beauty... but I know the power of a smile. I've never met a guy at the gym I couldn't engage - no matter the size of his biceps. It's the gift of attention. It breaks down barriers.
  • guardup
    Options
    AWESOME workout today! I ripped my obliques to shreds. I am so going to pay for this tomorrow.

Best compliment of the week: "Girl, you GOTTA wear short sleeve shirts... you don't have a concealed carry permit for them guns!"

LOL!