Biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeves?

Options

Replies

• monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    People who tell me that 1200 calories isn't enough - I've done the calculator - I'm short, I'm not that active and I'm not 21 anymore- the number I get is 1228 for 'fat loss' sedentary. If I don't do any exercise that is what I am supposed to eat. Yes I eat back when I exercise, but don't assume everyone is the same. You know what assume means......

This!! I even had one person admit that she had more lean body mass than I have entire body weight. But she still couldn't get her mind around the fact that I maintain at just over 1500 cals and have to eat under 1300 to lose. And that is when I am exercising. When I don't exercise the numbers are even lower! It is hard enough to deal with these facts without lots of people telling me I am starving myself. The calculators don't lie.

My sister will not lose weight unless she eats below 1200, and she's far from sedentary. I agree with you, people shouldn't make blanket statements, assuming everyone will starve on a certain deficit. People are unique, that's what makes us all great.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz's existence is my biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeve.

Haha I love this, I cannot stand doctor oz!!!! but my biggest pet peeve is when people want to loose twenty pounds in a month or set some other unrealistic expectations. When you loose weight if you don't do it the right way then you will just gain back everything. Like anything its the work you put into it. Be realistic.

I lost 19 my first month. Just eating better and working out 10 minutes a few times a week at home. I only expected like 5 tho, I know water weight would come off, but I didn't expect that! lol.
  • RobinLynx
    RobinLynx Posts: 60
    Options
    Being interrupted & stopped over & over while working out by some bossy old man at the gym, & by gym I mean at home office, & by bossy old man I mean the impatient husbandish person I married & work for. I'd like to say "with" but can't tell HIM that.

He DOES do great work & he DOES support the diet part mostly, so it's just a peeve.

And he got me puppies. So, not a *pet* peeve.
  • RobinLynx
    Options
    Dear God how could I have forgotten my biggest pet peeve of all of them.

People who seem to believe that they won't effectively gain weight unless they supplement their workout by tagging themselves at the gym on Facebook and posting a picture while they are there, and also believe that their meal is unhealthy unless they take a picture of it first and then list all of the ingredients to their status.

You don't need to flood my news feed to be healthy. I have lost 50 lbs and never have I ever, even once, mentioned weight loss, health, nutrition, working out, or anything of the sort. STOP IT!

OMG I absolutely agree with this. People who post their statuses on Facebook drive me nuts! I don't care if you are at the gym working out or what you had for dinner!

I post on Facebook because people ask me to.... People ask me for advice and ask about my progress and request pictures and want to know what I am eating... But I put a full disclaimer that if you don't wanna know then delete me now because if I can inspire one person to better their life than it is completely worth the few people getting aggravated about what I post on my own page .. I also post a bit of it to my blog and if they want to see then the can click the link and go read

I love being inspired, Al Noog. And is that your dog on your pounds lost bar? Cute dog! (still trying to get the hang of this site, learning how Reply works)
  • RobinLynx
    Options
    Dear God how could I have forgotten my biggest pet peeve of all of them.

People who seem to believe that they won't effectively gain weight unless they supplement their workout by tagging themselves at the gym on Facebook and posting a picture while they are there, and also believe that their meal is unhealthy unless they take a picture of it first and then list all of the ingredients to their status.

You don't need to flood my news feed to be healthy. I have lost 50 lbs and never have I ever, even once, mentioned weight loss, health, nutrition, working out, or anything of the sort. STOP IT!

OMG I absolutely agree with this. People who post their statuses on Facebook drive me nuts! I don't care if you are at the gym working out or what you had for dinner!

I post on Facebook because people ask me to.... People ask me for advice and ask about my progress and request pictures and want to know what I am eating... But I put a full disclaimer that if you don't wanna know then delete me now because if I can inspire one person to better their life than it is completely worth the few people getting aggravated about what I post on my own page .. I also post a bit of it to my blog and if they want to see then the can click the link and go read

I love being inspired, Al Noog. And is that your dog on your pounds lost bar? Cute dog! (still trying to get the hang of this site, learning how Reply works)

Ooops, still getting the hang of this! And she's adorable
  • AnnieRN6
    AnnieRN6 Posts: 48
    Options
    Oh. Rats. For sale: one pepper grinder. :wink:
  • tlynn141978
    tlynn141978 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We needed this thread :)

I agree with you on the women and weights thing. It makes me facepalm when women say "They don't want to gain all kinds of muscle and look manly" as if gaining even a pound of muscle is easy.

One of my biggest ones though: When you politely decline a doughnut, pastry, etc. and people get offended. They assume you think you're better than them for not eating it and that you have a holier than thou complex when in all actuality, you think nothing even close to that. This really grinds my gears!!!

THIS!! :)

We've had a rash of retirements at work lately and I've been trying to navigate the tricky dance of saying my goodbyes while politely declining the obligatory 3-4 offers of cake and having to explain why I don't want any each and every time!

I'll add that I hate how much emphasis we put on weight rather than strength and overall health. I've finally realized at 35 that being skinny and weak is not what I want - I want to optimize this body and keep challenging it for the rest of my life!
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When someone sees me eat a cookie and they say, "Oh you went off your diet?"
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Peeves - eating chemicals rather than real food because it has 0 calories (diet soda, tofu, diet salad dressing and packets of powerdy stuff you mix with water and voila out comes your lunch.

peeves - anything nasty tasting to me - mushrooms, kale, tofu, balsamic vinegar, etc.

my friend who is kinda preachy on his diet, the preaching turns me off though he is losing tons of weight per week. (ideal protein diet).
  • triciawells10
    triciawells10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance. (Don't google it and look at images, I'm warning you.) These people are putting people down for caring about their bodies. It's one thing when you don't care about your weight and look, that's totally fine and acceptable. I don't judge anyone. But where the problem lies is when you start shaming people that are actually trying to be healthy and lose weight.

I was in a relationship a few years ago with a man who told me he would leave me if I started loosing weight. Made me realize that he was not healthy for me! I have 100+ pounds to loose. Needless to say we were not together long after that!
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    When someone sees me eat a cookie and they say, "Oh you went off your diet?"

ahh but did you??

Since it is not a diet but a lifstyle change, so if you used to eat 2 or 3 cookies and are now only eating one you did not go off.:laugh:

Peeve- is when someone says to you why are you losing wieght, you look okay.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of pages I need to read through later, sorry if I'm repeating...

I have a 'friend' who belongs to a particular diet cult (not naming names). Generally, I don't have any issue with the plan, if that is your things, but it is not one I would do long-term, nor one I really care to do short term. That's just me. But the 'cult-like' behavior drives me bat s**t crazy. My skin gets prickly every time the subject comes up because I know where it leads. "Hey, you really NEED to try this. It is more awesome than a pig in a bacon tuxedo, and you'll lose 5 thousand pounds in 3 days. Best part, it ONLY cost half a week's salary! Really, it is a wash because you'll save that money at the supermarket by not buying any of the foods you enjoy. And, I sell it, so you can always buy it through me. Whosey-whats-it, So & so, and Whatchamacallit are all doing it. Don't they look fabulous?!" And when you politely decline- for reasons stated above- suddenly YOU'VE become the "know it all". :grumble:

Whew...I feel better now. Cheers. :drinker:
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    OH I forgot one more thing. when i know exactly what I can eat, and i am enjoying it and my friend who is on this other diet, keeps saying to me certain things that drive me nuts,,, its not on HIS diet,.

Like, the day i chose a delicious healthy salad that i loved and it had Poppyseed dressing. it was the chicken poppy seed and fruit salad. if any of you have gone to Portillos, they make the best fattening beef sandwiches and other yummy fast food, but qualify fast food, and they have some very delicious salads. so instead of congratulating me on the delicious salad, all he could focus on was "the crap food from Portillos and ohhh that poppyseed dressing has too much sugar".. all he saw out of the good things that salad had also the fact that I was able to choose a salad in a fast food restaunt should have counted for something but noooo.. all he saw was SUGAR.. sheesh.

sheesh!!! portillos makes EXCELLENT food by the way.

I really dont feel like discussing my food choices with a person who thinks i should do things his way.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve at the moment is the fact people routinely ask me if I had weight loss surgery. I have went from 300+ pounds to 158.5 in under two years which is a huge loss & I can understand why they'd ask if I had it, but it almost seems that a lot of people anymore cannot fathom that one can lose that much weight on their own without the need of a weight loss tool.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    1. Fruit makes you fat myth. It annoys me beyond belief. I listened to a group of women discuss why you shouldn't eat fruit and how fattening bananas are. They were having this discussion over pie. Really?

2. When people know I've lost weight and have been in maintenance for 5 years (and still have weight to lose) but constantly ask me "are you still on a diet?" when they see me eating healthy food or if I DO eat something unhealthy, they ask if I'm done dieting now. They don't get the "lifestyle change" concept.

3. When people comment on my portion sizes when I pack my lunch or dinner. It can be a low calorie meal, but have a large volume from lots of veggies, etc and Ive had someone say "wow, isn't that too much food for weight loss?" while they're eating a much smaller volume of food, but with double the calories due to it being a calorie dense processed food.

4. Weight loss products that only work by creating caloric deficit, which you can do without the product (like Slimfast or Special K diet, etc). These annoy me because people believe it's the product itself if they don't understand calories, or if they are new to weight loss/healthier living. I am also annoyed by people who continue to blindly argue that certain weight loss gimmicks work despite logic being presented to them.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm bothered by people who don't respect their bodies in their weight loss efforts. Whatever your caloric intake, if you're always hungry and feeling unwell, you're not eating enough, or you're eating crap. I'm 36 and had a baby a year ago. I'm also watching friends my age start to break down physically in ways both small and large. Both of these things make me respect how hard my body needs to work for me to live the life I want to live. I'm losing weight in part so I can look good, but I also want to do everything I can to keep a functional body into middle age and beyond.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of pages I need to read through later, sorry if I'm repeating...

I have a 'friend' who belongs to a particular diet cult (not naming names). Generally, I don't have any issue with the plan, if that is your things, but it is not one I would do long-term, nor one I really care to do short term. That's just me. But the 'cult-like' behavior drives me bat s**t crazy. My skin gets prickly every time the subject comes up because I know where it leads. "Hey, you really NEED to try this. It is more awesome than a pig in a bacon tuxedo, and you'll lose 5 thousand pounds in 3 days. Best part, it ONLY cost half a week's salary! Really, it is a wash because you'll save that money at the supermarket by not buying any of the foods you enjoy. And, I sell it, so you can always buy it through me. Whosey-whats-it, So & so, and Whatchamacallit are all doing it. Don't they look fabulous?!" And when you politely decline- for reasons stated above- suddenly YOU'VE become the "know it all". :grumble:

Whew...I feel better now. Cheers. :drinker:

You like beer AND hate culty diets? You are a good person :flowerforyou:
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My mom's favorite comment was always " Is that on your diet? ". It pisses me off. I'm about to lay in on her about her "diet".
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The idea that weight loss means following a pain in the keister fad diet made up of expensive things.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    One of my friends actually told me right after she ordered her red robin burger with three EXTRA slices of cheese and a high calorie drink that she doesn't salt her food...so she doesn't know how she's overweight (2nd of all she's not overweight she's obese). I'm sure the 3,500 calorie meal you just ate might have something to do with it...then when I suggested she come over and we can learn a new healthy recipe with me she suggested making enchiladas (face palm).