THE WALKING DEAD

Options

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My post got lost between the thread roll. :)

Anyways, wasn't there one season that the lake didn't have fish or they were all dead or something? I might be remembering it incorrectly since it's been a long time since I've watched the older seasons. It might have been a scene with the Governor and where he had dumped a zombie into the lake?
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    Terminus is a setup to lure people into thinking they are safe so they go in with lowered weapons so they don't suspect anything and then they use them as a food source. That's why they have signs lashes abs standsall over posting to it and are broadcasting on the radio in the hopes that someone hears it. They don't have to risk themselves trying to find food, when the food source will come directly to them. It's actually fairly smart of them, in a way, even though it's disturbing.

Its brilliant really but very disgusting. It makes you wonder though, if you were in that situation how would you react? Who would you become you know? We can all speculate or want to think we would take the higher road but in the end would survival push us to those limits?

No. there are numerous instances of this occurring throughout history but they are isolated and rare. There is always food available you just have to work for it and learn what other things that you can eat, (other than your buddys). LoL.

^^this. Scarcity of food and level of challenge of environment put to test "desperate times call for desperate measures." In this case, living in Georgia, they are just being lazy. The climate conditions and abundance of lakes and streams (and Atlantic Ocean!) which are viable fishing areas, make Georgia a pretty reasonable environment for avoiding cannibalism. They can be awful at hunting and trapping, but still fish, or vice-versa. They're just cuckoo.

Remember they tried fishing (think it was Season 1 or 2?) and the fish were all dead in the lake. Animals are scarce because the zombies eat those as well.

They went fishing in series one and caught a bunch of fish. There might have been another lake where there were no fish anymore (memory's a little hazy) but I would imagine that was location specific.

They were attempting to fish in a quarry. But there wasn't any fish... because it was a quarry.

I blame Andrea for that one. She wasn't the brightest!

The quarry was season 1. Andrea and her sister came back with loads of fish

bump and roll

HA! First post, clearly I have too much time on my hands.

I also apparently have too much times on my hands. Researched what lake didn't have fish. It was in the episode where the Governor finds the new camp. (Season 4 Episode 7)

Thank you! :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Anyways, wasn't there one season that the lake didn't have fish or they were all dead or something? I might be remembering it incorrectly since it's been a long time since I've watched the older seasons. It might have been a scene with the Governor and where he had dumped a zombie into the lake?

Not every lake in GA has fish. A lot of lakes are man-made here and have to be supplied with fish.
  • dawlschic007
    Options

Not every lake in GA has fish. A lot of lakes are man-made here and have to be supplied with fish.

Thanks, that's a same for where I live but I do recall the scene specifically talked about all the fish being dead though.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Fish or no fish, if there were a choice between eating ANYTHING (they had crops growing, yo) and eating people, I'd choose the ANYTHING ELSE.

That was clearly a lifestyle choice not born of absolute necessity. It's something I expected to be touched upon in the series at some point, though. Here's my question: If everyone is infected with the zombie virus and it activates postmortem, wouldn't eating postmortem human flesh accelerate or potentially cause the virus to mutate?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Fish or no fish, if there were a choice between eating ANYTHING (they had crops growing, yo) and eating people, I'd choose the ANYTHING ELSE.

That was clearly a lifestyle choice not born of absolute necessity. It's something I expected to be touched upon in the series at some point, though. Here's my question: If everyone is infected with the zombie virus and it activates postmortem, wouldn't eating postmortem human flesh accelerate or potentially cause the virus to mutate?

That thought is kind of scary, but I seriously doubt, Rick and crew will wait around for the Termites to turn once they've killed them all to find out.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    in
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Fishing is very inefficient to feed a large number of people also. Some of the best fisherman in the world sometimes fish all day to catch nothing or only a few fish at times. And fishing for smaller fish like bluegill or something, it would take a LOT of fish to feed a large group.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    in because I like hearing theories by other people :)
  • Rottnme
    Options
    Fishing is very inefficient to feed a large number of people also. Some of the best fisherman in the world sometimes fish all day to catch nothing or only a few fish at times. And fishing for smaller fish like bluegill or something, it would take a LOT of fish to feed a large group.

I agree but some food beats no food every time in my book.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

They are not doing this out of desperation. This is like a religion for them. Hence, the memorial with the candles and the names on the floor. Plus, that one guy's statement about "because when we join with them we become stronger" or something like that.

They were cannibals prior to the apocalypse... or at least someone in this group was.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I take it you'd be one of the cannibals once all other food sources had been exhausted then?
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options

They are not doing this out of desperation. This is like a religion for them. Hence, the memorial with the candles and the names on the floor. Plus, that one guy's statement about "because when we join with them we become stronger" or something like that.

They were cannibals prior to the apocalypse... or at least someone in this group was.

Desperately wanting to throw some things in here from the comics, but that probably counts as cheating. Also, never a 100% chance they'll be faithful to them.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Maybe, or you come back with enough fish to feed 2 people and 2 people kill you and take it.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Desperately wanting to throw some things in here from the comics, but that probably counts as cheating. Also, never a 100% chance they'll be faithful to them.

Yea, please don't. Some of us haven't read the comics and don't want to know what happens in them. Not that it stops other people from doing it all the time.
  • Rottnme
    Options

I take it you'd be one of the cannibals once all other food sources had been exhausted then?

Soylent red is zombie!!!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Understand that the land animals are getting zombie-decimated, but not the fish. The zombies dislike water...sooooo

Fishing with electricity is much easier...just crank up an old phone and dip net the stunned fish. Large quantities in a short time. Easy. Same for fishing with explosives...although the noise would attract the zombies. (both methods are illegal in this world)

Gill nets (also illegal in this world) and trot lines (legal) are very efficient ways to catch large quantities of fish with little effort or time.

Then there is noodling (legal)...which I would only do, personally, if starving and there was no other way because it scares the crap out of me. Would get big fish each catch that could feed a large group of people.

They so need an outdoors-man to help write this script.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Understand that the land animals are getting zombie-decimated, but not the fish. The zombies dislike water...sooooo

Fishing with electricity is much easier...just crank up an old phone and dip net the stunned fish. Large quantities in a short time. Easy. Same for fishing with explosives...although the noise would attract the zombies. (both methods are illegal in this world)

Gill nets (also illegal in this world) and trot lines (legal) are very efficient ways to catch large quantities of fish with little effort or time.

Then there is noodling (legal)...which I would only do, personally, if starving and there was no other way because it scares the crap out of me. Would get big fish each catch that could feed a large group of people.

Well, as I have no idea what you are talking about, I imagine very few others do, and therefore, the writers are banking on the likelihood that the characters would also be clueless of such things.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If it turns out to be the hunters...they werent cannibals before. They turned cannibal out of desperation or at least the hunters did in the comics...
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Well, as I have no idea what you are talking about, I imagine very few others do, and therefore, the writers are banking on the likelihood that the characters would also be clueless of such things.

P'shaw. Daryl would have known about noodling. And dial-a-fish. For sure. But I agree with the post indicating the human consumption is a ritualistic behavior based on the memorial room. Good catch there.