THE WALKING DEAD

Options

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What a loon. Powerful episode. Wonder how American tv viewers will react to a child's murder!??

Why would we specifically react any differently to any other nationality?

But seriously... Wow. Pretty much figured from the beginning Mika was going to die bc of the "not a mean bone in her body" comment's Carol made about why her daughter was dead, then about Mika... did not expect Lizzie to drop off the deep end that rapidly though. I feel like for the protection of their own lives and Judiths, Carol was completely justified - would have been cruel to try to leave her alone.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    There were a few hints that Lizzie's cheese had slid off her cracker, but I was thoroughly mind blown when she murdered Mika. I figured her deference towards walkers would lead them into inescapable trouble and get the pair killed, but I did not see her straight-up icing her sister (for science!) as a likely outcome.

I was actually impressed by Carol's resolve. I really agree with her actions with regards to Lizzie. It's an awful thing, but a rabid dog must be put down. I think abandoning her would have been more cruel in the end.

And I thought Carl was all Malachi from Children of the Corn with his cowboy hat and liking to taunt walkers... he had nothing on Lizzie dearest!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    There were a few hints that Lizzie's cheese had slid off her cracker, but I was thoroughly mind blown when she murdered Mika. I figured her deference towards walkers would lead them into inescapable trouble and get the pair killed, but I did not see her straight-up icing her sister (for science!) as a likely outcome.

I was actually impressed by Carol's resolve. I really agree with her actions with regards to Lizzie. It's an awful thing, but a rabid dog must be put down. I think abandoning her would have been more cruel in the end.

And I thought Carl was all Malachi from Children of the Corn with his cowboy hat and liking to taunt walkers... he had nothing on Lizzie dearest!

For science!

I agree about the hints tho... her offing the rabbit pretty much answered who was killing the rats and feeding the walkers for me... but HOW did she get so deluded? I guess being a child in that atmosphere and sheltered for so long.... ?
    She was probably going to be a psychopath when she got older anyway.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Well it got real! Carol has come so far from the passive doormat she was in the first season. Taking Lizzie out was the right thing to do. It was gut wrenching, but the right call. Lizzie couldn't be trusted around people. It was pretty clear to me from the way Mika and Lizzie's father, when he was alive, treated and talked about her, that Lizzie that she had mental problems even before the zombie apocalypse. Maybe without whatever medication she was on prior to the ZA, she really went off the deep end. It was better to deliver a quick clean kill than leave her alone in that home by herself.

No one can give a good hug like Tyrese!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    For science!

I agree about the hints tho... her offing the rabbit pretty much answered who was killing the rats and feeding the walkers for me... but HOW did she get so deluded? I guess being a child in that atmosphere and sheltered for so long.... ?
    Keep in mind that Mika is her younger sister and managed to come through the same ordeals without becoming, as she described her own sister, "broken". We've never really whittled it down to nature versus nurture that makes humans go completely banana sandwich. In all likelihood, it's a combination of both. Something in her psyche just prevented her from adapting the correct reactions to walkers (um, sometimes... I guess well-done walkers trigger the appropriate "*kitten*, *kitten*, *kitten*!" response from her).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    For science!

Keep in mind that Mika is her younger sister and managed to come through the same ordeals without becoming, as she described her own sister, "broken". We've never really whittled it down to nature versus nurture that makes humans go completely banana sandwich. In all likelihood, it's a combination of both. Something in her psyche just prevented her from adapting the correct reactions to walkers (um, sometimes... I guess well-done walkers trigger the appropriate "*kitten*, *kitten*, *kitten*!" response from her).

my guess is that even without the zombie apocalypse that lizze would have been certified crazy …maybe a serial killer or something? She just was not wired right….
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    What a loon. Powerful episode. Wonder how American tv viewers will react to a child's murder!??

But seriously... Wow. Pretty much figured from the beginning Mika was going to die bc of the "not a mean bone in her body" comment's Carol made about why her daughter was dead, then about Mika... did not expect Lizzie to drop off the deep end that rapidly though. I feel like for the protection of their own lives and Judiths, Carol was completely justified - would have been cruel to try to leave her alone.

As an American and lifelong fan of film and television, I noticed a trend where in American remakes of European films where a child is killed, directors tend to change the story to avoid this. And in American films in general, violence towards children is cleaned up. Perfect example, THE HUNGER GAMES! Look at the novel versus the film. The novel included scenes of brutality perpetrated by minors against minors. In the film, MOST of the violence took place off screen. Compare that to the Japanese film cited as its biggest influence, BATTLE ROYALE based on a Japanese book where on screen children slaughter one another in bloody, visceral ways.
  • TheFisherKing
    Options

As an American and lifelong fan of film and television, I noticed a trend where in American remakes of European films where a child is killed, directors tend to change the story to avoid this. And in American films in general, violence towards children is cleaned up. Perfect example, THE HUNGER GAMES! Look at the novel versus the film. The novel included scenes of brutality perpetrated by minors against minors. In the film, MOST of the violence took place off screen. Compare that to the Japanese film cited as its biggest influence, BATTLE ROYALE based on a Japanese book where on screen children slaughter one another in bloody, visceral ways.
  • TheFisherKing
    Options

• TheFisherKing
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how many of you read the comic it is based on? Your thoughts of which is stronger/better? If you do read it, you know that Darryl is not even in the books.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how many of you read the comic it is based on? Your thoughts of which is stronger/better? If you do read it, you know that Darryl is not even in the books.

I've read Compendium 1 & 2. I think the comics are better, and neither Merle nor Daryl are in the comics, but I think they made a great addition to the show.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes so Lizzie isn't crazy huh? Where is WendyTerry or whatever her name is?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I've read all but the latest issue of the comics.

I think the show is actually following the major storyline of the comics pretty well (including the psycho kid and sibling thing), though many of the details are different like who did what, names of places, etc.

I felt the like the comics really got predictable after a while. I'm saying predictable as in predictably awful, not in quality of artistic work or dialogue, but as in totally hopeless and sad. There was almost no hope, ho lightness, no positivism in the comics, and it got to be kind of annoying like a show that never has bad things happen would. I'm hoping the show avoids this, and I am really glad they seem to be taking a more balanced and interesting approach on the show with characters experiencing a lot of good and bad along the way.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This one hurt. Throughout the show, Carol has been the character I identified with most, as a mother and not very strong physically or mentally. I was devastated when she was banished, and now watching what she's been forced to become to survive is extremely painful and a little bit personal. Oh who am I kidding, I'd be zombie chow within the first week so I'd never have to suffer watching this happen to me or someone I love.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    lizzie was certified crazy…

I can't believe she freaking smoked her….I figured they would either abandon here or maybe let her "play" with a walker and get eaten..

last two episodes should be crazy real….!

Personally, I would have let her find a walker friend to play with and let her learn the hard way. I'd feel less guilty letting her get eaten by a walker than shooting her in the head.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

For science!

I think she was already that way. Her sister implied many times that Lizzie was crazy, she had processes for calming down, "look at the flowers like you are supposed to".

Makes it seem like before the walkers, she had issues that were being delt with...
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Holy Burnt Zombies!!!! I was SHOCKED last night. I did not see THAT coming. I can't believe there's only 2 episodes left this season! :noway:
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes so Lizzie isn't crazy huh? Where is WendyTerry or whatever her name is?

That's what I'm sayin lol.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Those burnt walkers were so scary!
    This was an awesome episode I thought, I love that Carol came out to Tyrese about killing those people and how gracefully he accepted it. I haven't cried so much during an episode in a while. I could really feel the sadness Carol had after seeing Mika dead and then having to kill Lizzie. So sad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I was trying to figure out who was carrying Judith and the end. Is she just in a knapsack all tied up?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition