Dear random old people...

Options

Replies

• PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about strangers thinking it's okay to discipline my child. We, my friend and I and kids, were at pizza hut buffet having lunch and some people in the back had a screaming child. A group of elderly ladies were sitting close to the buffet and my friends little boy(he was 5) went running to the buffet to get food and this old lady grabbed his arm and told him to quit all that screaming and it wasn't polite to scream like that, now mind you it wasn't him number 1 and number 2 I understand you being irritated with the screaming kid, I was there for 2 minutes and I had had enough of it but it's not your place to correct a child or their parents. I went off on her and told her in no uncertain terms that touching another persons child in that manner is unacceptable and very rude. They called me rude and I told them that rude is grabbing someone else's child in the manner she did so and that he (the child) deserved an apology and his mother too. She finally apologized and so did I. But if they are coming up and saying how cute and touching their heads and such I see nothing wrong with it. This is what's wrong with this world people get to upset over the little stuff. And to the lady with the kid who has allergies, your situation is different and not the normal. I would think even taking the child out to eat or even in public would be to much of a risk for the child and you should just leave said child home. I'm thinking I would be so paranoid to take my child out because of all the risks to it's life and said child is safer at home. Sucks to be the child though :(

Why was a 5 year old running up to a hot buffet? Many restaurants prohibit kids under 10 from serving themselves.

Simple solution is simple.

He took off before we could stop him and we were telling him to come back when the lady grabbed him. He was running up there to stand in line and wait for him momma.

Maybe his " momma " needs to teach him how to behave when eating in public. At five years old, he is old enough to learn. You would not need to " go off " on another patron of the restaurant ( because it's not your place either ) and the old lady can eat in peace.

*cringe*. DON"T TOUCH MY CHILD.

Not true I don't have a problem with you touching my child, I have a problem with you grabbing my child by his arm and proceeding to tell him what he should and should not do. This was my friends child and I consider him my nephew and he calls me Aunt. It's not the first time I've gone off on people for being rude to her children, there are some things you just don't do. Touching cute little babies is very different from grabbing the arm of a child and correcting it when the mother or caretaker is there to do it.

If you continually have to "go off" on people for correcting her children, is it possible that the children are misbehaving and someone should be correcting them?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can parents just teach their kids not to touch other people's babies?

I remember being at a rest center on a road trip with my oldest when she was only about six weeks old, and as I was changing her diaper, some little girl ran past and rubbed my baby on the head. She ran off before I could say, "HEY! Don't touch my baby!"
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

41592_70777160511_4457243_n_zps2c9e548a.jpg

"...ya want some candy...?"
  • Ter_Rob
    Ter_Rob Posts: 68
    Options
    I am shocked at the number of children who run around restaurants, stores, and even church while their parents just sit there and let the kids run amok. Then I laugh and shake my head at the kids whose parents have them on a leash like they were a dog or something. What happened to discipline and controlling your child. And if the kid needs a leash I think there's a bigger problem going on.

This will get a lot of comments I'm sure. If the kid misbehaves, and the parent corrects the kid and he/she continues to misbehave, I see nothing wrong with decking the kid to get their attention. Worked for my parents, and it worked for me.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at the number of children who run around restaurants, stores, and even church while their parents just sit there and let the kids run amok. Then I laugh and shake my head at the kids whose parents have them on a leash like they were a dog or something. What happened to discipline and controlling your child. And if the kid needs a leash I think there's a bigger problem going on.

This will get a lot of comments I'm sure. If the kid misbehaves, and the parent corrects the kid and he/she continues to misbehave, I see nothing wrong with decking the kid to get their attention. Worked for my parents, and it worked for me.

I'm shocked by the number of old people who drive 45 mph in the left lane.

I'm shocked by how many college students drink and drive.

I'm shocked by how many toddlers throw temper tantrums.

I'm shocked by how many retirees complain about kids.

I'm shocked by how many teenagers complain about adults.

I'm shocked if anyone believes this.
  • Ter_Rob
    Options
    I have news for ya, it isn't just "old" people who drive in the left lane. I have a HEMI and it's purpose is to pass on the righ the a_ _ Holes who are dilly dallying in the left lane.

As a former college studen from too many years ago, this is NOT a surprise.

As a parent and grandparent this is not a surprise, but it is a parent problem not a toddler problem.

This is because as an "old" person, our parents did not permit us to behave as today's kids behave.

This is the result of immaturity, lack of respect, and lack of discipline.

lol. Somehow, I don't think you're really shocked. You speak the truth.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about strangers thinking it's okay to discipline my child. We, my friend and I and kids, were at pizza hut buffet having lunch and some people in the back had a screaming child. A group of elderly ladies were sitting close to the buffet and my friends little boy(he was 5) went running to the buffet to get food and this old lady grabbed his arm and told him to quit all that screaming and it wasn't polite to scream like that, now mind you it wasn't him number 1 and number 2 I understand you being irritated with the screaming kid, I was there for 2 minutes and I had had enough of it but it's not your place to correct a child or their parents. I went off on her and told her in no uncertain terms that touching another persons child in that manner is unacceptable and very rude. They called me rude and I told them that rude is grabbing someone else's child in the manner she did so and that he (the child) deserved an apology and his mother too. She finally apologized and so did I. But if they are coming up and saying how cute and touching their heads and such I see nothing wrong with it. This is what's wrong with this world people get to upset over the little stuff. And to the lady with the kid who has allergies, your situation is different and not the normal. I would think even taking the child out to eat or even in public would be to much of a risk for the child and you should just leave said child home. I'm thinking I would be so paranoid to take my child out because of all the risks to it's life and said child is safer at home. Sucks to be the child though :(

Why was a 5 year old running up to a hot buffet? Many restaurants prohibit kids under 10 from serving themselves.

Simple solution is simple.

And this is why I never eat at buffets. Too many snotty little kids sticking their paws in the food. Signed, A random old person who really doesn't want to touch your belly or your sticky kid.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who isn't worried about elderly people touching her children? Lots of people talk to them, but really, the most I've seen is a gentleman or two patting one of my boys on the head while saying, "What a nice looking bunch you've got there!" Doesn't bother me. What has bothered me is a server at a restaurant thinking she was going to pick up my little girl and take her to show to the rest of the staff. No go on that idea! Stranger patting my child on the head - no big deal. Stranger taking my child out of my sight- NO! Just no.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I am shocked that nothing much shocks me any more. Maybe it is because I am some random old person that has just about seen it all.

I do admit though...once while living in DC is was shocked when a random young person...that appeared to be in really good shape...refused to give up his seat on a bus to little old random person that could barely stand...so I gave her mine. Or once when a random young woman got on the bus with a baby and a random young person didn't offer to let her sit down...so I gave her mine.

Stupidity and rudeness can come from any random person...regardless of age.

On the other hand...this random old person...really likes a lot of random young people.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options

If you deck my kid, you better make sure you have someone to bail you out of jail.
  • Ter_Rob
    Options
    Don't worry, I wouldn't deck your kid, YOU should deck your kid.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can parents just teach their kids not to touch other people's babies?

I remember being at a rest center on a road trip with my oldest when she was only about six weeks old, and as I was changing her diaper, some little girl ran past and rubbed my baby on the head. She ran off before I could say, "HEY! Don't touch my baby!"

^^ This

When mine were babies, it was definitely more kids touching them than "old people."
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Agreed, I mean we have to ask the dog owners, so why not with kids. I mean they are the next level down on the hierarchy right?

Let's see.

Cars
    Handbags
    Tiny Dogs
    Big Dogs
    Kids

Did I get that right?

you forgot cell phones... :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dear random babes...

...please just walk up and touch old people...seriously, it's awesome.

Wait, what?

:huh:
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't everyone just put their precious babies in a plastic hamster style bubble and be done with it :flowerforyou:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am offended by this thread. Whatever happened to respecting your elders?? OP and the other "youngsters" who commented negatively about older people have a lot to learn. I'm not a creep, don't creep, and don't like being considered a creep simply because I'm older than most of you. Someday, If you're lucky, you'll be my age and some young snot such as yourself will make a comment about you're being old and you won't like it. There is an advantage to being my age, and that is you gain wisdom and experience in addition other things starting with an appreciation for life and beauty. You OP have a lot to learn, and respect is at the top of the list!!
    This thread isn't about elderly people in general. It's about people who think it's acceptable to walk up to and touch people they don't know without permission. To be fair, OP should've left age out of it, because a person touching random people on the street is creepy at any age.

I am not sure what the OP means or doesn't. I would lean to the side that he meant what he said after reading his profile. To be his friend...you need a resume and two references! LOL Leaves me out...I got no references and I am just some random old person!
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I wouldn't deck your kid, YOU should deck your kid.

No thanks.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I do not care.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I am offended by this thread. Whatever happened to respecting your elders?? OP and the other "youngsters" who commented negatively about older people have a lot to learn. I'm not a creep, don't creep, and don't like being considered a creep simply because I'm older than most of you. Someday, If you're lucky, you'll be my age and some young snot such as yourself will make a comment about you're being old and you won't like it. There is an advantage to being my age, and that is you gain wisdom and experience in addition other things starting with an appreciation for life and beauty. You OP have a lot to learn, and respect is at the top of the list!!
    This thread isn't about elderly people in general. It's about people who think it's acceptable to walk up to and touch people they don't know without permission. To be fair, OP should've left age out of it, because a person touching random people on the street is creepy at any age.

I am not sure what the OP means or doesn't. I would lean to the side that he meant what he said after reading his profile. To be his friend...you need a resume and two references! LOL Leaves me out...I got no references and I am just some random old person!

He sounds really mean
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm too old to care...

Excuse me while I go twerk.
This discussion has been closed.