foods that are not "worth" the calories?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    for me nuts aren't worth it. They don't fill me up, they don't satisfy in any way unless they are incorporated in somthing (pecans or almonds in oatmeal, pecans or peanuts in cookies, almonds in chicken salad) they don't really satisfy anything for me either with my nutrition requirements or taste or helping me feel full. My biggest pet peeve is when people say "nuts are a great source of protein," um no, just no . . . nuts are a great source of healthy fats, and I get my fats elsewhere (which is why they don't fill me up or satsify me).

I so agree with this. Unless they come from Naturebox or Graze and have some tasty flavor added to them, just no thanks (and yeah, 3g of protein for 100 calories isn't enough to qualify as 'protein' food. Or heck, ice cream is protein food too).
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I don't think any oil or butters are worth the calories personally :)

sister from another mister
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    -I've completely cut out butter and most oil from my diet. I only have it if I have no peanut butter for my toast, which is virtually never.
    -Salad dressings like salad cream or caesar dressing, I use vinegar now
    -Starbucks, I love it but my weekly drink isn't worth it. I only drink them if it's for a social occasion over lunch and my lunch will match, to make more balanced.
    -Zero fizzy drinks, I prefer minimum squash in my water.
    -Ribs, so many calories for something that is half bone? Nope.
    -Potato. I don't have them often as it is but now I'd rather save calories for pasta.
    -Alcohol has been cut right down, it's just for dinner-out now.

Argh... Not worth the calories when there are so many replacements or alterations available instead.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    potato crisps are not worth the calories
    (thats potato chips for Americans)
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Most fast foods. I see the ads for the "new" sandwich or whatever and it looks and sounds so good. I decide to have one on a "splurge" day and it is always a disappointment. Like someone else said, I like a good hamburger but what can be gotten at the fast food places are just not worth it!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me chuckle.

I hate exercising. I mean I seriously, seriously, hate it. Always have. Even when I was thin.

Anytime I go to put something in my mouth that isn't super healthy I look at the calories and think about how long I would have to go on the damn treadmill to work it off and then I'm instantly turned off and the temptation is gone. That makes so many foods not worth the calories to me.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Store-bought cake...SO not worth it!
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    Pasta. It doesn't really have much of a taste (at least not compared to the other yummy stuff I could eat for those calories), so while I don't dislike it I always avoid it.

The same goes for most all fast foods, really - if I'm going to have something high-cal I prefer for it to be something sweet and decadent, like a pastry or something.
    Yea i dont bother with pasta anymore.
    Yesterday i tried the linguine shirataki noodles only 30 cals for whole baggy!
    It was great with turkey, pasta sauce and cheese!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Store-bought cake...SO not worth it!

That so depends on the store!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Peanutbutter. I agree with the reply that her sandwich ends up about 700 calories. I detest a thin PB sandwich. Those cheap a.z. Ramen noodles. I can eat a pack - thats 400 calories, and made out of some kind of wax that sticks to your intestines they say? Protein bars that are soft, like balance bars. cant stop at one. loaded with calories. Having to exercise extra long by indulging is very painful on my knees so why the heck do I do it.
  • equestrian_girl
    Options
    Those little candy mints you get at the restaurant after your meal. They can be 100 calories!!! For like 1 minute of fame! And I usually grab a handful!

Also ALL condiments, especially ketchup and mayo :( SO delicious and so bad...

I eat broccoli and tofu for dinner and I add this Kraft Asian Sesame dressing, 1 tbsp is like 70 calories, I try to stay around 2tbsp because it's so worth the yummy taste on my broccoli but it represents almost a quarter of my day hahah
  • equestrian_girl
    Options
    This thread makes me chuckle.

I hate exercising. I mean I seriously, seriously, hate it. Always have. Even when I was thin.

Anytime I go to put something in my mouth that isn't super healthy I look at the calories and think about how long I would have to go on the damn treadmill to work it off and then I'm instantly turned off and the temptation is gone. That makes so many foods not worth the calories to me.

I need to practice this more!!
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Totally agree on the store bought cake! And those little cupcakes that are always in the grocery store, too. They're pretty gross.

I was thinking of writing doughnuts, but then I realized how much I really love doughnuts.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    To me the only food(s) not worth the calories are the food(s) that I don't like.

If I like it, it's worth every damn calorie!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Alcohol

No macro nutrients or micro nutrients yet tons of calories

(Depending on drink of choice)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Regular pancake syrup
    Pancakes in general (waffles have syrup traps anyway!)
    Milkshakes
    Cheddar cheese
    Slim Jims
    Biscuits & gravy
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me, it is "diet" or reduced calorie or reduced fat treats. I am never satisfied with low fat cookies or reduced calorie ice cream. I'd rather have nothing that have something that doesn't satisfy my craving.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    low fat cheese
    non fat cheese
    tofurkey
    veggie patties
    tofu
    eggplant
    brussel sprouts
    escargot
    pepperoni less or cheeseless pizza

pretty much anything that doesn't actually taste good is IMO not worth the calories.

This this this!!! I will not waste time with things I just don't like, no matter how healthy they are. If I want a donut, I'm gonna eat a donut. Period.
  • melissarmonroe
    melissarmonroe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dounuts. 260 for a glazed and I can eat 2 and feel like I ate air. Not worth it. About anything else I can justify and squeeze into my calorie counts. Oh, except dairy queen. Saving that for a treat when I reach some goals.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Pizza hut! Kinda good when you eat it (but really only kinda), but all the salt and fat makes me feel like crap the next day! So not worth it. I always wake up in the middle of the night and chug 2 or 3 glasses of water after I eat it. Lordy!